Can we talk about what Obama actually DID?

The Senate passed a bipartisan bill with 68 votes...seriously, in this divided government, 68 votes in the Senate on an immigration bill that the Boehner has refused to allow the full House to vote on...because it will pass. This bill was passed by the Senate over 500 days ago.

The plan has been to never let the President to ever appear to have any victory and then complain loudly that he is not getting anything done.

Works for the faithful and stupid.

Based on a similar concept to what you say, Harry Reid had failed to let jobs bills passed by the House come up for a vote in the Senate then the President complains the Republicans aren't doing anything in the House.

Okay.

So what is the GOP actually going to do about it?

And more to the point, what is the GOP going to do about our immigration situation, if anything?

A better question is what CAN the GOP do about it than will actually be implemented?

Solving our illegal immigration problem is easy. Build a fence, close the borders, and shoot any SOB, after one warning, that tries to sneak in. I put locks on my doors at my house which tells those uninvited not to come in. If they still choose to do so, that's what I would do to them.

What about those who are already here, and their children?

First, granting citizenship to children born here solely because their parent(s) committed a crime in order for it to happen is alsolutely wrong. That is not what the 14th Amendment was designed to do. Anyone that has studied history knows that. I say no to anchor babies and rewarding them with something like citizenship when the ONLY way they have it is because of a crime. We wouldn't allow the kids of a bank robber to keep the money.

As for those already here, it's easy. They weren't supposed to be here so ship them home wherever that may be. Why should we overlook the law for criminals. People are put in prison every day causing families to be separated. If we are going to overlook that a child would be separated from the parents if they were sent back as wrong, we need to overlook the crimes done by people in jail that produce the same result. Agree?

The plan has been to never let the President to ever appear to have any victory and then complain loudly that he is not getting anything done.

Based on a similar concept to what you say, Harry Reid had failed to let jobs bills passed by the House come up for a vote in the Senate then the President complains the Republicans aren't doing anything in the House.

Okay.

And more to the point, what is the GOP going to do about our immigration situation, if anything?

A better question is what CAN the GOP do about it than will actually be implemented?

Solving our illegal immigration problem is easy. Build a fence, close the borders, and shoot any SOB, after one warning, that tries to sneak in. I put locks on my doors at my house which tells those uninvited not to come in. If they still choose to do so, that's what I would do to them.

First, granting citizenship to children born here solely because their parent(s) committed a crime in order for it to happen is alsolutely wrong. That is not what the 14th Amendment was designed to do. Anyone that has studied history knows that. I say no to anchor babies and rewarding them with something like citizenship when the ONLY way they have it is because of a crime. We wouldn't allow the kids of a bank robber to keep the money.

As for those already here, it's easy. They weren't supposed to be here so ship them home wherever that may be. Why should we overlook the law for criminals. People are put in prison every day causing families to be separated. If we are going to overlook that a child would be separated from the parents if they were sent back as wrong, we need to overlook the crimes done by people in jail that produce the same result. Agree?

No, I just don't think it can be done. You're talking about deporting 11 million people (or whatever the number actually is), and trying to enforce such an action would be a nightmare.

But more than that - I'll guarantee you that the Democrats would like nothing more than to see the GOP pass a full deportation bill and drop it on Obama's desk. That would be the single biggest gift the GOP could give them.

Okay.

No, I just don't think it can be done. You're talking about deporting 11 million people (or whatever the number actually is), and trying to enforce such an action would be a nightmare.

But more than that - I'll guarantee you that the Democrats would like nothing more than to see the GOP pass a full deportation bill and drop it on Obama's desk. That would be the single biggest gift the GOP could give them.

An unwillingness does not equate to inability.

The Senate passed a bipartisan bill with 68 votes...seriously, in this divided government, 68 votes in the Senate on an immigration bill that the Boehner has refused to allow the full House to vote on...because it will pass. This bill was passed by the Senate over 500 days ago.

Tell me, why would the House take up a bill that was unconstitutional from the get go? The Senate bill contained fines and fees which are revenue raising measures that constitutionally must originate in the House. Tell me where I got this wrong, if you can.

Okay.

The illegals don't need to be rounded up in mass like you idiots keep claiming, we just deport them as we find them. Personally I would give them 1 year to self deport and if they fail to do so then all their assets would be confiscated as fruits of an ongoing criminal enterprise. They are breaking the law everyday they go to work.

Okay.

The illegals don't need to be rounded up in mass like you idiots keep claiming, we just deport them as we find them. Personally I would give them 1 year to self deport and if they fail to do so then all their assets would be confiscated as fruits of an ongoing criminal enterprise. They are breaking the law everyday they go to work.

Since I didn't say round them all up at one time, don't know where the claim of idiot comes from. I know all of the millions can't be found at one time and time is what it would take. Understanding logistics makes that apparent. No one is saying have it done by January 1, 2015. It could be done one at a time of 100 at a time as long as it gets done.

It's not the concept, it was the plan they discussed on inaugural day in 2009. Most of their Bills were partisan in nature, like repealing the ACA, and would have been vetoed by President Obama anyway.

Okay.

The Republican House tried to do this earlier in 2014, for the DACA program, passing a bill that would have prevented anyone new from signing up, and preventing current beneficiaries from renewing. Democrats controlled the Senate, so it didn't come to the floor there. Once Republicans take control of the Senate in the New Year, they could pass a similar bill — but Obama would almost certainly veto it.

Rather than a standalone bill, Congress could attach riders killing Obama's immigration programs to the annual appropriations bills. If Obama vetoed the bills (or if Senate Democrats filibustered them) then we'll have another government shutdown.

Republicans do not have a filibuster proof majority so good luck passing anything without compromising.

Another point regarding what was actually done. These people who are being shielded from deportation are parents of US citizens. These US citizens, once they become adults, can apply for permanent visas for their parents. Since they are still not adults in many cases, they cannot do this under current law. All that happened in these cases was a hastening of the inevitable.

It's not the concept, it was the plan they discussed on inaugural day in 2009. Most of their Bills were partisan in nature, like repealing the ACA, and would have been vetoed by President Obama anyway.

Why wait past the first day? Obama's plan was to transform the country and he started with his plan on January 20, 2009. How is the Republicans preventing him, knowing that his plan was a bunch of bullshit, any different?

Okay.

well that was a good chuckle! :rofl:

Do you actually believe republicans running congress would actually do any of those things that you believe they should do?

The republicans will do exactly what g5000 said earlier in this post...

The Republicans will give amnesty to those illegal immigrants that live here already...

YOU CAN COUNT ON IT!

That, or they will do nothing at all in Congress, for fear of losing their far right base before the next election and fear of having a bunch of Tea party candidates be put up against them in the primaries.

Since I didn't say round them all up at one time, don't know where the claim of idiot comes from. I know all of the millions can't be found at one time and time is what it would take. Understanding logistics makes that apparent. No one is saying have it done by January 1, 2015. It could be done one at a time of 100 at a time as long as it gets done.

I was replying to Mac, I actually agree with you. We need to cut off the flow with secure borders and an effective entry exit system and then start bailing out a bit at a time.

Okay.

The Republican House tried to do this earlier in 2014, for the DACA program, passing a bill that would have prevented anyone new from signing up, and preventing current beneficiaries from renewing. Democrats controlled the Senate, so it didn't come to the floor there. Once Republicans take control of the Senate in the New Year, they could pass a similar bill — but Obama would almost certainly veto it.

Rather than a standalone bill, Congress could attach riders killing Obama's immigration programs to the annual appropriations bills. If Obama vetoed the bills (or if Senate Democrats filibustered them) then we'll have another government shutdown.

Republicans do not have a filibuster proof majority so good luck passing anything without compromising.

We'll see how well the Democrats are willing to do what they demanded.

It's hard to compromise when the bills sent by the House aren't brought up for a vote becasue the content didn't suit Harry Reid. It's one thing to claim nothing was sent. It's another to claim it wasn't sent becasue you don't like what was in it.

I was replying to Mac, I actually agree with you. We need to cut off the flow with secure borders and an effective entry exit system and the start bailing out a bit at a time.

Sorry. I'm not a fan of how the site includes me in an alert because I happened to have responded to someone you then respond to. I try to respond to the specific parts of the person I directly want to communicate with so these types of things don't happen.

Okay.

The irony impaired far left drone proves that it is Obama's way or the highway..

Compromise to the far left is do it our way or not alt all as they keep showing.

Then again ACA was passed with the majority of Americans against it, now it has been proven that it is horrible law that they had to lie about to get passed.

Yet the far left drones still support it.

So it seems that the far left usually does the opposite of what the people want, thus proving why you should never vote far left..

Boy, I'm really failing to get this conversation going on other threads, so I'll try to start one.

From what I've seen the main takeaway from this act is that most illegals will not be deported if they have not been here long enough; they have to pass criminal and security background checks, they have to pay taxes and prove their eligibility to stay.

Seems like much ado about not that much to me.

I also heard him challenge the GOP Congress to pass a bill that will override this act. So, as I asked on another thread -- don't we all agree that our immigration system is fucked up? Don't we want to fix something that is important and fucked up?

And why, precisely, wouldn't the GOP jump at this opportunity to pass a bill and put it on Obama's desk?

What am I missing?

What do you think is messed up about our immigration policy? It was passed by a bipartisan congress.

I think it is the implementation of the immigration policy not the policy itself. When you have a POTUS opening the flood gates and then we get a flood, should we be surprised? No matter how much the POTUS doesn't like the law nothing gives him the right to circumvent the law. HE should be the one that gets congress to change the law, not HIM changing the law then expecting congress to circumvent what he did.

Simply, what he is doing is impeachable. Otherwise we should do as he says, if we don't like existing law then change it. I don't see a problem with existing law. And saying it is f...ed up is just liberal talking points. They want what they want and nothing else will do. My only question is why is this what they want?

Okay.

The irony impaired far left drone proves that it is Obama's way or the highway..

Compromise to the far left is do it our way or not alt all as they keep showing.

Then again ACA was passed with the majority of Americans against it, now it has been proven that it is horrible law that they had to lie about to get passed.

So it seems that the far left usually does the opposite of what the people want, thus proving why you should never vote far left..

The left has shown they don't want compromise and that calls for it are as good as their intentions.

they did, but Harry "Whorehouse" Reid shelved them, as he did with 99.99999999% of what the Republicans proposed. :up:

So they can't write a new one in January, when they're in control?

Wouldn't that be a good idea?

They'll be too busy shutting down the government again.

Again???

When did they ever shut it down?

The president is the guy with the power to shut it down, not congress.

You need to take a class on civics little Nerdy.

Okay.

The left has shown they don't want compromise and that calls for it are as good as their intentions.

It is a wedge issue and since the left has nothing of value to add to the discussion they resort to wedge issues. Even though they got soundly spanked for doing so, they can't help themselves.

Okay.

It is a wedge issue and since the left has nothing of value to add to the discussion they resort to wedge issues. Even though they got soundly spanked for doing so, they can't help themselves.

A problem is they can't even admit they got their ass kicked. It reminds me of when I used to teach school. Two students got into a fight. Parents of both were called. The mother of one was adament on the phone that her son wouldn't do such a thing. When she came to school and saw her son, she still claimed he wouldn't do that despite his swollen eye and bloody lip.

Forum List

Back