Can you be a truly good Christian, yet be against universal healthcare?

It's Ravi-speak for "I know you are but what am I, I know you are but what am I, I know you are but what am I...infinity!"

Maybe I should just give you my account since you seem to know everything that I think.

Maybe. I'll have to think about it. So you think that a few issues should be covered for everyone and everything else is a personal responsibility?

I think that a collective American people should not be responsible for my lung cancer if I choose to smoke. I'd better damn well have my own private insurance and not assume that everyone else is going to pick up the tab of my lung transplant. I think that Franklin was right on when he said that an Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure. Also, by making the health of the general population the ward of the state we are inviting the STATE to start making choices about lifestyles despite our liberty; See Pink Linger Bastard.

by all means... ponder an alternate idea that might get something done beside debating debate for the next decade.

I think that a collective American people should not be responsible for my lung cancer if I choose to smoke. I'd better damn well have my own private insurance and not assume that everyone else is going to pick up the tab of my lung transplant. I think that Franklin was right on when he said that an Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure. Also, by making the health of the general population the ward of the state we are inviting the STATE to start making choices about lifestyles despite our liberty; See Pink Linger Bastard.

by all means... ponder an alternate idea that might get something done beside debating debate for the next decade.

mmm, but what if your lung cancer is caused by air pollution?

Then i'd have the ability to screen for lung cancer early, regardless of the source, and pre-emp the affect of any potential hazard. Besides, if you had yourself an erin brokovich type of situation im sure you have even less to worry about than the average unhealthy,poverty stricken individual. if you can prove the correlation this nation has been known to compensate.

LOL...air pollution only, it seems there may be a spike in the number of cases of lung cancer if it was caused by air pollution solely...

LOL...air pollution only, it seems there may be a spike in the number of cases of lung cancer if it was caused by air pollution solely...

Solely? No, not that I even know if there is a spike. But how does one know, really, what the actual cause is?

even if you lived in a state like maine where cigarette taxes is at $2 bucks a pak getting ready to go to $3 bucks a pack, you wouldn't expect the state system to pay for your lung cancer? They taxed the crap out of you, moreso than any other individual in the state for your bad habbit, what do you get out of it?

sheesh, and people complain about the federal 18 cents per gallon on gas!!! At least, that is going towards roads that vehicles that use gas travel on!

ps. and wht about alcohol drinkers, they get exempt from care too?

care

even if you lived in a state like maine where cigarette taxes is at $2 bucks a pak getting ready to go to $3 bucks a pack, you wouldn't expect the state system to pay for your lung cancer? They taxed the crap out of you, moreso than any other individual in the state for your bad habbit, what do you get out of it?

sheesh, and people complain about the federal 18 cents per gallon on gas!!! At least, that is going towards roads that vehicles that use gas travel on!

ps. and wht about alcohol drinkers, they get exempt from care too?

care

no, I don't expect the state to buy me a new lung. Tobacco taxes are not what funds UHC anyway.

and no, read above, I specifically mentioned alcoholics and their pickled livers.

no, I don't expect the state to buy me a new lung. Tobacco taxes are not what funds UHC anyway.

and no, read above, I specifically mentioned alcoholics and their pickled livers.

I wonder what the taxes pay for then and why cigarette smokers are the only ones having to pay it?

If they didn't tax the cigaretts I would presume that there would be a higher State income or sales tax to make up for what cigarette taxes are paying for, so these citizens are certainly "paying" for something that others aren't paying for that don't have the individual habbit...

i am fine with you taking care of your own health care along with others taking care of themselves, but YOU should not be taxed extra for being a smoker either, if the state ain't giving you anything extra for it, I will borrow from the Repubs on this, "That's stealing" hahahahahaha! :D

care

I still don't think we've settled the key piece, 'do unto others,' if I smoke today knowing that it could kill me, and I am a rational person, then the GR would be inconsistent if I said you had to help me or you just did. But suppose I worked in a mine and the mine owners knew it could kill me but did nothing. Would they be morally inconsistent with the GR. The problems here are rationality and intent. But if we all agreed UHC was a good thing, recognizing that not all help would consistently fit, then UHC would be consistent with Christianity's GR. Separation of church and state is not relevant as I am operating as a free moral Christian agent. We can't use the excuse the state made me bad or commit a sin of omission when we know what is good.

I still don't think we've settled the key piece, 'do unto others,' if I smoke today knowing that it could kill me, and I am a rational person, then the GR would be inconsistent if I said you had to help me or you just did. But suppose I worked in a mine and the mine owners knew it could kill me but did nothing. Would they be morally inconsistent with the GR. The problems here are rationality and intent. But if we all agreed UHC was a good thing, recognizing that not all help would consistently fit, then UHC would be consistent with Christianity's GR. Separation of church and state is not relevant as I am operating as a free moral Christian agent. We can't use the excuse the state made me bad or commit a sin of omission when we know what is good.

What the hell is this?

What the hell is this?

LOL

That's what happens when you read through a thread but don't have time for a dissertation.

But the point remains, if you are a Christian and UHC is considered a good thing by Christians then to 'be a truly good Christian' you have to be for UHC. If Christianity cannot support something this simple and good then you need to find another belief system.

Er, no, it doesn't. If you don't agree that it will HELP people, then why on earth, as a good Christian, would you support it? We are given minds, and we are US citizens, we are allowed to vote our consciences as any other citizen.

I try to be a good Christian, and I know UHC will cause more damage than good. I divert my money through channels meant to help others..and I will absolutely never support UHC.

And I know that doesn't make me a "bad" Christian.

Nice try, though. Do try to keep a separation of religion and state, though.

LOL

That's what happens when you read through a thread but don't have time for a dissertation.

But the point remains, if you are a Christian and UHC is considered a good thing by Christians then to 'be a truly good Christian' you have to be for UHC. If Christianity cannot support something this simple and good then you need to find another belief system.

Still, what is a free moral christian agent? You don't have to support an UHC if your christian. You assume cause you say UHC is good it is in fact good, which is BS.
Secondly, you assume that Christ would want some in our society to sit own their ass while others pay for their medical coverage. Doesn't the bible state that you should work by the sweat of your brow?

Thirdly, you assume that Christ would support income redistribution, which is a lie. There is actually a commandment about that, Thou shalt not steal.

Forum List

Back