Can you be a truly good Christian, yet be against universal healthcare?

I think you are making the same mistake as Mani. The golden rule isn't about being right or wrong, and it isn't forcing anyone to treat you, yourself in a certain manner. It's a guide to personal consistency. It tests that our own actions aren't going against our own moral code.

You are wrong, the Golden Rule is a personal code. NOT a Government tool. And MY personal code does not include being robbed by the Government so lazy asses can feel secure while we all get worse service then before. You need help? ASK for it, like others in the community do all the time, GUESS what they almost always get most if not all the money they need from those jars in 7/11 and Food Lion. Why? Cause that is giving freely, not being taxed unfairly.

I think you are making the same mistake as Mani. The golden rule isn't about being right or wrong, and it isn't forcing anyone to treat you, yourself in a certain manner. It's a guide to personal consistency. It tests that our own actions aren't going against our own moral code.

There's no mistake on my part. The error on yours is that the Golden rule tests individual actions against individual moral codes. There is no defined, specific set of rules for all to be obeyed.

You are trying to stretch an individual standard to a collective one. Once you alter it from individual to collective, it loses its meaning because you are no longer treating others as you wish to be treated; rather, you are treated others as someone else dictates.

When you apply YOUR standard to my behavior, you are indeed forcing me to adhere not to my own moral code, but to yours.

I did not say the Golden Rule was about right or wrong. The Golden Rule is about giving of your own free will. Where I disagree with you is that you cannot apply the Golden Rule to taxation since the latter is a levy by the government (in the case of your previous scenario -- you) where there is no choice whether or not you wish to give. The government (or you) are forcing others to pay based on YOUR personal moral code, not theirs individually which renders the Golden Rule irrelevant.

There's no mistake on my part. The error on yours is that the Golden rule tests individual actions against individual moral codes. There is no defined, specific set of rules for all to be obeyed.

You are trying to stretch an individual standard to a collective one. Once you alter it from individual to collective, it loses its meaning because you are no longer treating others as you wish to be treated; rather, you are treated others as someone else dictates.

When you apply YOUR standard to my behavior, you are indeed forcing me to adhere not to my own moral code, but to yours.

I did not say the Golden Rule was about right or wrong. The Golden Rule is about giving of your own free will. Where I disagree with you is that you cannot apply the Golden Rule to taxation since the latter is a levy by the government (in the case of your previous scenario -- you) where there is no choice whether or not you wish to give. The government (or you) are forcing others to pay based on YOUR personal moral code, not theirs individually which renders the Golden Rule irrelevant.

you are right that it is ones individual moral code, not meant to be a ''group think'' type of thing....

there's a passage in the Bible, i believe it was where Moses came down from the mt, and those in the camp had made a golden calf and reverted back to paganism in his absense... that speaks of right from wrong being seared in to our hearts by God....regardless of individual religious beliefs, and not negating free will....so, i take this as all of us just ''knowing'' what is right and what is wrong, in the moral sense...again, still having the opportunity to ignore it, thru free will....

i think that the original question of the thread, is meant to be a ''trick'' question, or an ''i got ya'' question....

The answer is YES if it were phrased slightly differently.

OF course Christ would want all of us to be able to access medical care if we needed it.....

This does not mean Christ would support or condemn a universal, gvt, health care plan paid for by our taxes....HE could prefer that all businesses pay for it as part of our benefits, or HE could prefer for all care of doctors be non profit, as it was, for nearly 2 thousand years or more! hahahahahaha!

What i am trying to say is that, not believing that a QUASI Universal healthcare plan is the proper way to go with healthcare being accessible to ALL, is not in any way saying that one does not believe health care should be accessible to all....it is just disagreeing with the means of getting there imo....

thus, the golden rule is still in play.

now granted, there will always be some people, that do not wish the best for others, and think only in the me, me, me and me arena, with their feelings waxed cold towards others....but i do not believe these people are in the majority, for those that oppose a gvt universal plan....i believe the majority who do not support it, have some very legitimate concerns.

care

you are right that it is ones individual moral code, not meant to be a ''group think'' type of thing....

there's a passage in the Bible, i believe it was where Moses came down from the mt, and those in the camp had made a golden calf and reverted back to paganism in his absense... that speaks of right from wrong being seared in to our hearts by God....regardless of individual religious beliefs, and not negating free will....so, i take this as all of us just ''knowing'' what is right and what is wrong, in the moral sense...again, still having the opportunity to ignore it, thru free will....

i think that the original question of the thread, is meant to be a ''trick'' question, or an ''i got ya'' question....

The answer is YES if it were phrased slightly differently.

OF course Christ would want all of us to be able to access medical care if we needed it.....

This does not mean Christ would support or condemn a universal, gvt, health care plan paid for by our taxes....HE could prefer that all businesses pay for it as part of our benefits, or HE could prefer for all care of doctors be non profit, as it was, for nearly 2 thousand years or more! hahahahahaha!

What i am trying to say is that, not believing that a QUASI Universal healthcare plan is the proper way to go with healthcare being accessible to ALL, is not in any way saying that one does not believe health care should be accessible to all....it is just disagreeing with the means of getting there imo....

thus, the golden rule is still in play.

now granted, there will always be some people, that do not wish the best for others, and think only in the me, me, me and me arena, with their feelings waxed cold towards others....but i do not believe these people are in the majority, for those that oppose a gvt universal plan....i believe the majority who do not support it, have some very legitimate concerns.

care

You're mixing a lot of stuff up at one time. The golden rule applies in that Christ teaches us that we should adhere to it. He does not mandate it, nor does any law mandate it, By doing so, one would have to define a specific set of parameters which would remove any individual choice from the situation. Once individual choice is removed and your beliefs projected on others as rule, so is the golden rule. It becomes something else.

While your beliefs are fine, they are yours, not mine nor necessarily anyone else's. The golden rule is a teaching of Christianity. Compliance with, and the consequences of not adhering to it are individual and religious. It just doesn't apply to a collective.

So I agree the original question is a trap meant to lay a guilt trip on individuals who oppose universal health care. However, the golden rule does not apply beyond that because universal health care is collective and participation and/or support is not voluntary.

The golden rule is certainly debatable, but my response to anyone attempting to use it as a weapon on me is: How much is enough? How can I be expected to give freely that which is taken from me already, and taken at a ridiculous amount?

Universal health care might look all fine and dandy on paper but in real world application it's going to work just like the rest of our failed social programs. The middle class will be forced to pay more taxes for a system that will be overburdened and inadequate from the start.

If our government would stop taxing the Hell out of us most of us could probably afford better health care.

Of course there is no defined, specific set of rules for all to follow. That is exactly why you can only apply the golden rule to one's specific moral code.

I don't think the government operates under the golden rule. If it did, we certainly wouldn't be invading other countries, would we? But if you think of the government as a single being comprised of each individual it represents than you can say that it isn't violating its golden rule by taxing everyone. Because the majority is in agreement that we should be taxed and the monies should be used to improve life for all.

Of course there is no defined, specific set of rules for all to follow. That is exactly why you can only apply the golden rule to one's specific moral code.

I don't think the government operates under the golden rule. If it did, we certainly wouldn't be invading other countries, would we? But if you think of the government as a single being comprised of each individual it represents than you can say that it isn't violating its golden rule by taxing everyone. Because the majority is in agreement that we should be taxed and the monies should be used to improve life for all.

How about separation of church and state? What are we to do with all of the atheists? You can't apply a rule that is christian based when that society is based on separation of church and state.

How about separation of church and state? What are we to do with all of the atheists? You can't apply a rule that is christian based when that society is based on separation of church and state.

Actually, I think it was originally based on Buddhism. At least as far as religion goes. I'd guess it was just a concept that evolved with evolution. It was probably around when people still worshiped the sun.

Shows how little you actually know. :rolleyes:

Still a shit load more than you.

But there was one thing I didn't know...that you don't support the separation of church and state wholly. You only do so when it's convenient to your agenda whoring cause. :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, I think it was originally based on Buddhism. At least as far as religion goes. I'd guess it was just a concept that evolved with evolution. It was probably around when people still worshiped the sun.

Lets see some proof?

Way to pick out the totally irrelevant part and ignore the substance. Buddhism is still a religion retard, and thus the point being made is still valid.

Forum List

Back