🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Cannot ever be a state.... Washington DC

the constution says so.

Where in the Constitution does it say that D.C. CAN'T be a state?

The Capitol of the U.S. can not be in any State and the land which many of you want to create a State with should go back to the State it came from if you want to create one...

the constution says so.

The constitution says our nation's capitol can't be in a state.

However as I posted earlier, all they have to do is draw the boundaries around the capitol so it's not in the new state.
What is the land area of the capitol grounds? Has to be at least 10 miles square according to the const.

No you have that wrong.

The constitution says the capitol can't EXCEED 10 miles square.

So there isn't a minimum of miles square but a maximum.

I don't know who told you what you posted but they got it wrong.

You need to start thinking for yourself and find information on your own without people with an agenda feeding you half truths and lies.

Here is Article I, Section 8, Clause 17:

Article I
  • Section 8
    • Clause 17
    • To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;–And
I was corrected a few posts later.

the constution says so.

opinion piece

But the opinion is true. The constitution prohibits our capitol from being in a state.

The capitol doesn't have to be in the new state. The boundaries for that state can be drawn to exclude the capitol.

Problem solved.

Or just give the parts of DC with people living in them back to Virginia and Maryland.

There is no part of DC to give back to Virginia. That was done already. DC is surrounded on three sides by Maryland and the river border with Virginia.

the constution says so.

However as I posted earlier, all they have to do is draw the boundaries around the capitol so it's not in the new state.
What is the land area of the capitol grounds? Has to be at least 10 miles square according to the const.

Try reading it again! It says differently.

the constution says so.

Try reading it again! It says differently.
I did and was corrected by someone else.

The entire area within the borders is the District of Columbia. Constitutionally, it cannot become a state. The only option is to carve out the federal enclave and return the rest to Maryland.

district.gif

The only option is to carve out the federal enclave and return the rest to Maryland.

You could also make DC a Congressional District and allow them their own Congressman.
Then you could allow residents to vote and be represented by the Maryland Senators

The entire area within the borders is the District of Columbia. Constitutionally, it cannot become a state. The only option is to carve out the federal enclave and return the rest to Maryland.

district.gif
Nothing says it has to be returned to Maryland.

the constution says so.

opinion piece

But the opinion is true. The constitution prohibits our capitol from being in a state.

The capitol doesn't have to be in the new state. The boundaries for that state can be drawn to exclude the capitol.

Problem solved.

Or just give the parts of DC with people living in them back to Virginia and Maryland.

There is no part of DC to give back to Virginia. That was done already. DC is surrounded on three sides by Maryland and the river border with Virginia.

Then I amend my statement to "give it back to Maryland"

I think we should merge all those flyover states with their straight borders into one giant state since no one lives there anyways
Whats that supposed to mean.. are you mocking my beloved communist Vermont ??
Heh..

Why not just let the land go back to Maryland? That's where it came from, shouldn't Maryland have an option to reclaim the land that was ceded from them? This would also give representation to all those people living there.

There's been a movement for a while called "retrocession", to give DC residents representation by ceding the land back to Maryland. Neither the residents of DC nor the people of Maryland want it, so it never goes anywhere.

There's been a movement for a while called "retrocession", to give DC residents representation by ceding the land back to Maryland. Neither the residents of DC nor the people of Maryland want it, so it never goes anywhere.
And that's THEIR choice.
Indeed. But constitutionally, it cannot be made a state.
Absolutely not true. Carve out the populated area and the Constitution is satisfied.

Forum List

Back