Catholic Archbishop: Wake Up! Religious Liberty at Risk in USA

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Catholic Archbishop: Wake Up! Religious Liberty at Risk in USA | CNS News

(CNSNews.com) - Roman Catholic Archbishop Charles J. Chaput is calling on Americans to wake up and recognize that the Founding Fathers' vision of religious freedom is now threatened by the federal government.

"The day when Americans could take the Founders' understanding of religious freedom as a given is over," said the archbishop. "We need to wake up."

Chaput, who leads the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia, pointed to Obamacare's sterilization-contraception-abortifacient regulation as one example. The regulation, issued by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, requires almost all health-care plans in the United States to provide coverage for sterilizations, artificial contraceptives and abortion-inducing drugs to all women of reproductive age--even if the person or employer providing the insurance coverage and even if the female beneficiaries themselves do not want the coverage and believe it is morally wrong and violates their religious beliefs.
"[T]he HHS mandate can only be understood as a form of coercion," the archbishop wrote in a recent column posted on the website of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The column is entitled, "Religious Freedom and the Need to Wake Up."

Last year, the Catholic bishops of the United States unanimously approved a statement describing the HHS regulation as an "unjust and illegal mandate." The unanimous bishops said the regulation not only violated the religious freedom of religious institutions but also the "personal civil rights" of individual Americans who will be forced to comply with it either as employers or employees.

Archbishop Chaput noted that the bishops believe "basic medical care is a matter of social justice and human dignity." That principal, however, does not empower the government to force Americans to violate their moral and religious convictions.

Last edited:
Oh please :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know...Christians don't have any right to complain just because secularist shit on them.

:rolleyes:

Why is it the leftwing nutjobs will whine on the behalf of millions of Amerindians regarding the Redskins team name when NONE of the local Amerindians are complaining about it, but refuse to listen to millions of American Christians and their leaders who complain of the lefts bullying, forcing people to violate their conscience and coercing them to remain silent about it all?

Fucking hypocrite fascists.

Yeah, I know...Christians don't have any right to complain just because secularist shit on them.

Why is it the leftwing nutjobs will whine on the behalf of millions of Amerindians regarding the Redskins team name when NONE of the local Amerindians are complaining about it, but refuse to listen to millions of American Christians and their leaders who complain of the lefts bullying, forcing people to violate their conscience and coercing them to remain silent about it all?

Both those issues are bullshit.

Dude, how about letting people speak for themselves?

It isn't that difficult to do. If the name redskin was truly offensive, then I would guess local Amerindians would complain, but instead its a bunch of thin skinned libtards that whine and cry on BEHALF of Amerindians who somehow cant speak for themselves.

But if the leaders of the Catholic church are saying that current policies are offensive because they compel Catholics to violate their conscience and you simply dismiss it as bullshit, that says far more about YOU than it does about Catholics, bucko.

It isn't that difficult to do. If the name redskin was truly offensive, then I would guess local Amerindians would complain, but instead its a bunch of thin skinned libtards that whine and cry on BEHALF of Amerindians who somehow cant speak for themselves.

But if the leaders of the Catholic church are saying that current policies are offensive because they compel Catholics to violate their conscience and you simply dismiss it as bullshit, that says far more about YOU than it does about Catholics, bucko.

I completely support the name Redskins. And of course Catholics think many government policies are offensive. So do Muslims and Jews. That's why laws are not written based on the views of any religion. There are at least 6 Christian churches in a 5 mile radius of where I'm typing this right now. The government won't be coming to tear any of them down.

(CNSNews.com) - Roman Catholic Archbishop Charles J. Chaput is calling on Americans to wake up and recognize that the Founding Fathers' vision of religious freedom is now threatened by the federal government.

"The day when Americans could take the Founders' understanding of religious freedom as a given is over," said the archbishop. "We need to wake up."

Chaput, who leads the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia, pointed to Obamacare's sterilization-contraception-abortifacient regulation as one example. The regulation, issued by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, requires almost all health-care plans in the United States to provide coverage for sterilizations, artificial contraceptives and abortion-inducing drugs to all women of reproductive age--even if the person or employer providing the insurance coverage and even if the female beneficiaries themselves do not want the coverage and believe it is morally wrong and violates their religious beliefs.

"[T]he HHS mandate can only be understood as a form of coercion," the archbishop wrote in a recent column posted on the website of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The column is entitled, "Religious Freedom and the Need to Wake Up."

Last year, the Catholic bishops of the United States unanimously approved a statement describing the HHS regulation as an "unjust and illegal mandate." The unanimous bishops said the regulation not only violated the religious freedom of religious institutions but also the "personal civil rights" of individual Americans who will be forced to comply with it either as employers or employees.

Archbishop Chaput noted that the bishops believe "basic medical care is a matter of social justice and human dignity." That principal, however, does not empower the government to force Americans to violate their moral and religious convictions.

I don't understand how this is in any way infringing on freedom of religion, no one is being forced to have an abortion, to be sterilized, or to utilize contraception. If you don't want to do those things then don't do them.

I completely support the name Redskins. And of course Catholics think many government policies are offensive. So do Muslims and Jews. That's why laws are not written based on the views of any religion. There are at least 6 Christian churches in a 5 mile radius of where I'm typing this right now. The government won't be coming to tear any of them down.

hahahah, you do know what a straw man argument is, right?

The Catholic leaders in question are not complaining about something that they merely find offensive, but are complaining about the GOVERNMENT FORCING THEM TO DO THEMELVES THINGS THAT THEY REGARD AS OFFENSIVE.

Do you get the central idea here yet, sport?

I don't understand how this is in any way infringing on freedom of religion, no one is being forced to have an abortion, to be sterilized, or to utilize contraception. If you don't want to do those things then don't do them.

Yeah and if you don't want to PAY for someone else to do them you shouldn't have to do that either.

Yeah and if you don't want to PAY for someone else to do them you shouldn't have to do that either.

So do you not trust Christians with that insurance coverage not to make their own choices then?

If you don't want to "pay" for it, then don't start an insurance business.

So do you not trust Christians with that insurance coverage not to make their own choices then?

I trust them, of course, but I don't want to pay for health insurance that would pay for something I find morally objectionable, say infanticide, were it to be a possible coverage.

If I am providing medical insurance for my employees, I should be able to chose a medical insurance plan that wont pay for infanticide, grok it yet?

heheheh, these are employers, not necessarily insurance providers.

I trust them, of course, but I don't want to pay for health insurance that would pay for something I find morally objectionable, say infanticide, were it to be a possible coverage.

If I am providing medical insurance for my employees, I should be able to chose a medical insurance plan that wont pay for infanticide, grok it yet?

Well now you can't. No one is forcing you to pay for abortions though unless you're an insurance company, and you aren't.

Well now you can't. No one is forcing you to pay for abortions though unless you're an insurance company, and you aren't.

Dude, that is totally wrong. Current requirements specify that health insurance MUST have these procedures covered.

You do NOT have to be an insurance company.

"But health care has now morphed into a religious liberty issue provoked entirely--and needlessly--by the current White House," the archbishop wrote. "Despite a few small concessions under pressure, the administration refuses to withdraw or reasonably modify a Health and Human Services (HHS) contraceptive mandate that violates the moral and religious convictions of many individuals, private employers and religiously affiliated and inspired organizations."

Last edited:

Dude, that is totally wrong. Current requirements specify that health insurance MUST have these procedures covered.

You do NOT have to be an insurance company.

Right, but paying insurance plan premiums is not the same thing as paying for abortions. Sorry.

Also, what about the rights of employees and their access to adequate health care?

Uh-- being Indian is not required to be concerned about "Redskins". Think about it.

In another thread some clown just referred to himself as a "pollock". Fishy as that sounds, it strikes me as profoundly knuckledraggedly ignorant, and I'm not Polish at all.

Forum List

Back