🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Catholics Don't Exemplify Christianity...

Well in a lot of ways from certain traditions, to architecture, to literature, to rhetoric, to how Jesus was portrayed and how certain events were portrayed. We must remember that the first Christians were the disciples themselves and the various others who followed them. These were Jews who believed that Jesus was a Jew, who came on behalf of the Jews, to fulfill Jewish Messianic prophecies. They were highly apocalyptic and they believed that the path to righteousness with God was to follow the Law. By the time of Constantine, the church had and continued to experience anti-semitic viewpoints, the depiction of Jesus had changed to having Him come for all mankind instead of just the Jews, the apocalyptic tradition had been heavily glossed over, and the path to righteousness with God had become Paul's doctrine of Grace.

How did that happen?

Well that's a very long story, and my guess is that you know a great deal of it already. We also have to keep in mind that it was Paul who was the most successful at spreading Christianity in the early church. Paul was a Jew, but he was also a Roman and he was converting Gentiles (Romans) so the message had to accessible and impactful for them and it had to appeal to them in a way that would be accepted from a Roman viewpoint.

An example of this would be the depiction of the trial of jesus before Pilate. This is heavily Romanized in order to appeal to a Gentile population. The portrayals of Pilate going to such lengths to save Jesus and making a show of washing his hands of it, and the Jews screaming "His blood be upon us and our children." after Pilate calls Jesus a righteous man. (Matt. 27:24-25, NIV). Pffft...give me a break. Pilate wouldn't have given two shits about Jesus. He was just the headache of the day. Pilate would probably have crucified Jesus, went to have a nice breakfast, made love to his wife, took a pleasant afternoon nap, and it wouldn't have crossed his mind further. That was thrown in there to appeal to Gentiles and instead cast responsibility upon the Jews as an entire community as evidenced by the addition of "....and our children". The author is making the point that all Jews are to blame. I highly doubt that is something that Peter, John, or even Paul, being Jews themselves, would have agreed with or made a central point of their teaching. :lol:

Another example would be the apocalyptic tradition. The disciples and especially Paul were apocalypticists. They believed the Kingdom of God was at hand. Jesus had fulfilled the Messianic prophecies, the first would be last and the last would be first. It was time! It was here! Revelation, even being written so much later, upheld that tradition. It was a great Judeo-Christian apocalypse that said just those things. The time is at hand! Rome will fall. Down with Caesar! Ok what do you do with that book and that tradition when suddenly Rome IS the church and the church IS Roman? You can't have books in your set of scripture that says 'down with Caesar, down with Rome' when the church IS Rome. So what do you do? You change the meaning and insist that author meant something else. You smooth out and gloss over the apocalyptic tradition that was absolutely vital to the beliefs and early teachings of the earliest Christians.

So there's a couple examples. I could go on but this post is long enough as it is and I think that you, being a knowledgeable and reasonable person, are already aware of these things anyhow. So there you go. ;)

Permeation works in both directions. It is equally--perhaps even more-- correct to say Rome was Christianized. The Book of Revelation is apocalyptic literature, written during the time Rome was persecuting Christians. As we know, apocalyptic literature dealt with end times. Jewish thought had changed from a king who would change the world so that it was always good, to a more realistic interpretation that the rule of good in the world could only ever be short-term. Therefore godliness would only last for a thousand years after the crowning of a human, Jewish king, at which time the world would end.

In Revelation, John, with his imagery, reminded Jewish followers of all the times Jews were persecuted, and how they were always revived to go on to bigger and better things because God is always victorious.

Christianity wasn't Romanized to appeal to the Roman. Christianity appealed to Romans, and brought some non-Jewish ways into Christianity. Christianity was open to this because of the Noachide Laws that both Jews and Christians agreed ruled both Jews and non-Jews. Jews, however, were committed to following additional customs God set for specifically for Jews.

Gentiles could better grasp the idea of Father-Son-Holy Spirit, the idea of One God encompassing creator-word-spirit. Since The Word had a human, as well as divine nature, this was a breaking point for Jews who held God could in no way be human.

I agree with you that the story of Pilate and crucifixion had some dramatic addition and--I believe--some equally dramatic deletions. However, I also believe the crux of the story survived both. More than anything else, I would love to know the real story of the crucifixion. I think most people would be devastated by the truth, but I think, for the rest of us, it would become even more awesome.

So yes. Christianity was Judaized, Romanized, Greeked, Spanished, Anglicized, Germanticized, Americanized, Chinesed, Africanized, and etc, etc. etc. It will also be futurized because Christianity is not a static religion because the Holy Spirit is not static--and neither are we. However, the heart of all is Christ.

Anyway, great sharing thoughts with you!

Well sure...Rome eventually became Christianized. I mean that is obvious. But what form of Christianity? Was it the form that Peter spoke of? I don't think so. They met somewhere in the middle. As far as Christianity appealing to Romans...wow...I don't see that at all. Romans respected power. People today sometimes argue that Christianity spread in part because the Romans saw these brave Christians willing to be martyred for their faith and that sparked their interest. No way! Romans respected people who fought. They would have seen the willingness to die without even putting up a fight as being cowardly. To a Roman there was nothing appealing about that at all.

Christianity did spread, of course, but it had no influence or legitimacy in Roman society until Constantine started winning battles backed by the Christian God. Before that, Romans would say 'what power or authority does this Christian God have? We haven't seen anything. We have seen great battles won by the grace of Mars. We have seen what happens when you do not appease Vulcan...you get a volcanic eruption.' These were signs of the power of the gods and that's what Romans paid attention to.

Now after Constantine and Constantius started kicking ass backed by the Christian God...ok NOW there is a God Romans can get behind because He is making the Empire more powerful. Then Julian comes in, re-establishes the pagan gods and subsequently gets his ass kicked. Jovian restores Christianity, Valentinian starts kicking ass again and that's it. That's all the Romans needed to see. Game, set, and match baby. :lol:

Now....can you imagine how Peter, Matthew, Andrew, or even Paul would have reacted had you told them that in a few centuries Jesus/God would be granting victories to Rome?!?!?!

As always...love your input

Bottom line: When you can pray to God directly, makes no sense to pray to others.

It is not done in the Bible and it is not mentioned in the Bible. End of debate.

Last edited:
Why do they have Jesus above god? Why does god have three parts instead of just 'god'? Why do they partake of cannibalism in communion, even symbolically, as such a thing was pagan?

Why don't they just pray to god instead if using mary, jesus and saints as intermediaries? God can't hear the prayers without them? Does he not know all, even our thoughts without prayer? Is not every preordained by god? Would the granting of prayers not be throwing a monkey wrench into his plans? Should we really be able to change fate with prayers to statues and symbols?

Ah, the confusion factors! Throw in confusing statements that have no relation to Christianity, which results in people having to clear away the confusing straw men before discussing rock solid truths. :D

I'm just going to address the truth.

1. Jesus is not above God or below God. Jesus is one with God.

2. God nourishes His people through the sacraments of bread and wine, and this is best compared to a mother's body and blood nourishing her infant through breast milk. Just as we do not regard a nursing child as a cannibal, for the mother still lives, nor do we regard God's children as cannibals as He still lives.

3. We all pray to God with one another not through or to one another. With, such a little word, and easy to remember, and one that makes all the difference to the reality of prayer.

4. Prayers are to God, not to statues and symbols.

Now, with all the straw blown away, the rock truth may be easier to discern.

why pray to jesus if he is god. Why not just pray to god? Why does jesus come into this at all?

Why do people have to pray to god the father , son and holy ghost rather than just god?

sounds like god is schizophrenic

Once out of the womb, the infant only nurses on milk till it is ready for other food.

Milk is not blood or flesh.....or all mammals would be cannibals and impure to eat.

why have symbols and statues at all in a church, on charms, art, or in the homes?

why to churches need bones and relics?

Why do they have Jesus above god? Why does god have three parts instead of just 'god'? Why do they partake of cannibalism in communion, even symbolically, as such a thing was pagan?

Why don't they just pray to god instead if using mary, jesus and saints as intermediaries? God can't hear the prayers without them? Does he not know all, even our thoughts without prayer? Is not every preordained by god? Would the granting of prayers not be throwing a monkey wrench into his plans? Should we really be able to change fate with prayers to statues and symbols?

Ah, the confusion factors! Throw in confusing statements that have no relation to Christianity, which results in people having to clear away the confusing straw men before discussing rock solid truths. :D

I'm just going to address the truth.

1. Jesus is not above God or below God. Jesus is one with God.

2. God nourishes His people through the sacraments of bread and wine, and this is best compared to a mother's body and blood nourishing her infant through breast milk. Just as we do not regard a nursing child as a cannibal, for the mother still lives, nor do we regard God's children as cannibals as He still lives.

3. We all pray to God with one another not through or to one another. With, such a little word, and easy to remember, and one that makes all the difference to the reality of prayer.

4. Prayers are to God, not to statues and symbols.

Now, with all the straw blown away, the rock truth may be easier to discern.

why pray to jesus if he is god. Why not just pray to god? Why does jesus come into this at all?

Why do people have to pray to god the father , son and holy ghost rather than just god?

Once out of the womb, the infant only nurses on milk till it is ready for other food.

Milk is not blood or flesh.....or all mammals would be cannibals and impure to eat.

why have symbols and statues at all in a church, on charms, art, or in the homes?

If you don't believe don't pray at all-- you won't be heard anyway, unless your are praying for salvation....

Well in a lot of ways from certain traditions, to architecture, to literature, to rhetoric, to how Jesus was portrayed and how certain events were portrayed. We must remember that the first Christians were the disciples themselves and the various others who followed them. These were Jews who believed that Jesus was a Jew, who came on behalf of the Jews, to fulfill Jewish Messianic prophecies. They were highly apocalyptic and they believed that the path to righteousness with God was to follow the Law. By the time of Constantine, the church had and continued to experience anti-semitic viewpoints, the depiction of Jesus had changed to having Him come for all mankind instead of just the Jews, the apocalyptic tradition had been heavily glossed over, and the path to righteousness with God had become Paul's doctrine of Grace.

How did that happen?

Well that's a very long story, and my guess is that you know a great deal of it already. We also have to keep in mind that it was Paul who was the most successful at spreading Christianity in the early church. Paul was a Jew, but he was also a Roman and he was converting Gentiles (Romans) so the message had to accessible and impactful for them and it had to appeal to them in a way that would be accepted from a Roman viewpoint.

An example of this would be the depiction of the trial of jesus before Pilate. This is heavily Romanized in order to appeal to a Gentile population. The portrayals of Pilate going to such lengths to save Jesus and making a show of washing his hands of it, and the Jews screaming "His blood be upon us and our children." after Pilate calls Jesus a righteous man. (Matt. 27:24-25, NIV). Pffft...give me a break. Pilate wouldn't have given two shits about Jesus. He was just the headache of the day. Pilate would probably have crucified Jesus, went to have a nice breakfast, made love to his wife, took a pleasant afternoon nap, and it wouldn't have crossed his mind further. That was thrown in there to appeal to Gentiles and instead cast responsibility upon the Jews as an entire community as evidenced by the addition of "....and our children". The author is making the point that all Jews are to blame. I highly doubt that is something that Peter, John, or even Paul, being Jews themselves, would have agreed with or made a central point of their teaching. :lol:

Another example would be the apocalyptic tradition. The disciples and especially Paul were apocalypticists. They believed the Kingdom of God was at hand. Jesus had fulfilled the Messianic prophecies, the first would be last and the last would be first. It was time! It was here! Revelation, even being written so much later, upheld that tradition. It was a great Judeo-Christian apocalypse that said just those things. The time is at hand! Rome will fall. Down with Caesar! Ok what do you do with that book and that tradition when suddenly Rome IS the church and the church IS Roman? You can't have books in your set of scripture that says 'down with Caesar, down with Rome' when the church IS Rome. So what do you do? You change the meaning and insist that author meant something else. You smooth out and gloss over the apocalyptic tradition that was absolutely vital to the beliefs and early teachings of the earliest Christians.

So there's a couple examples. I could go on but this post is long enough as it is and I think that you, being a knowledgeable and reasonable person, are already aware of these things anyhow. So there you go. ;)

Permeation works in both directions. It is equally--perhaps even more-- correct to say Rome was Christianized. The Book of Revelation is apocalyptic literature, written during the time Rome was persecuting Christians. As we know, apocalyptic literature dealt with end times. Jewish thought had changed from a king who would change the world so that it was always good, to a more realistic interpretation that the rule of good in the world could only ever be short-term. Therefore godliness would only last for a thousand years after the crowning of a human, Jewish king, at which time the world would end.

In Revelation, John, with his imagery, reminded Jewish followers of all the times Jews were persecuted, and how they were always revived to go on to bigger and better things because God is always victorious.

Christianity wasn't Romanized to appeal to the Roman. Christianity appealed to Romans, and brought some non-Jewish ways into Christianity. Christianity was open to this because of the Noachide Laws that both Jews and Christians agreed ruled both Jews and non-Jews. Jews, however, were committed to following additional customs God set for specifically for Jews.

Gentiles could better grasp the idea of Father-Son-Holy Spirit, the idea of One God encompassing creator-word-spirit. Since The Word had a human, as well as divine nature, this was a breaking point for Jews who held God could in no way be human.

I agree with you that the story of Pilate and crucifixion had some dramatic addition and--I believe--some equally dramatic deletions. However, I also believe the crux of the story survived both. More than anything else, I would love to know the real story of the crucifixion. I think most people would be devastated by the truth, but I think, for the rest of us, it would become even more awesome.

So yes. Christianity was Judaized, Romanized, Greeked, Spanished, Anglicized, Germanticized, Americanized, Chinesed, Africanized, and etc, etc. etc. It will also be futurized because Christianity is not a static religion because the Holy Spirit is not static--and neither are we. However, the heart of all is Christ.

Well sure...Rome eventually became Christianized. I mean that is obvious. But what form of Christianity? Was it the form that Peter spoke of? I don't think so. They met somewhere in the middle. As far as Christianity appealing to Romans...wow...I don't see that at all. Romans respected power. People today sometimes argue that Christianity spread in part because the Romans saw these brave Christians willing to be martyred for their faith and that sparked their interest. No way! Romans respected people who fought. They would have seen the willingness to die without even putting up a fight as being cowardly. To a Roman there was nothing appealing about that at all.

Christianity did spread, of course, but it had no influence or legitimacy in Roman society until Constantine started winning battles backed by the Christian God. Before that, Romans would say 'what power or authority does this Christian God have? We haven't seen anything. We have seen great battles won by the grace of Mars. We have seen what happens when you do not appease Vulcan...you get a volcanic eruption.' These were signs of the power of the gods and that's what Romans paid attention to.

Now after Constantine and Constantius started kicking ass backed by the Christian God...ok NOW there is a God Romans can get behind because He is making the Empire more powerful. Then Julian comes in, re-establishes the pagan gods and subsequently gets his ass kicked. Jovian restores Christianity, Valentinian starts kicking ass again and that's it. That's all the Romans needed to see. Game, set, and match baby. :lol:

Now....can you imagine how Peter, Matthew, Andrew, or even Paul would have reacted had you told them that in a few centuries Jesus/God would be granting victories to Rome?!?!?!

Christianity was spread by force. Heretics and pagan were converted or threatened with death. They did not all fall in love with christianity. even after 'conversion' they kept many of their old ways and beliefs. They show up through out the christian world even today.

How did that happen?

Christianity was spread by force. Heretics and pagan were converted or threatened with death. They did not all fall in love with christianity. even after 'conversion' they kept many of their old ways and beliefs. They show up through out the christian world even today.

Eventually, yes. But you can't spread something by force unless you have the power to enforce it. Now after Theodosius and we start getting further down the line...absolutely. Convert or die was the theme, but it wasn't like that under Constantine. Constantine had to use carrots and not sticks. He continued to endorse certain pagan festivals and allowed pagan rituals and sacrifices. Most of the power players in the Empire were still pagan. They were not going to sit idly by and allow him to remove them and their families from positions of power. Had he tried that...pfft....they would killed him with cheetah speed. He eased Christianity into the Empire and played both sides of the coin.

We also have to remember that after the establishment of Constantinople and the re-location of the capital, the Western Roman Empire was kind of an afterthought for a lot of reasons...mostly militarily and economically. The West was left largely in the hands of those pagan power players and while there was some different dynamics happening with Rome and Christianity in the Eastern Empire it didn't happen so quickly in the Western Empire. It's not Constantine won the Battle of the Milvian Bridge and overnight the entire empire became Christian. It was a process that took decades

Last edited:
I agree as long as its not a requirement or "stepping Stone" to reach God. Talking to a priest has a cathartic value to it but not a requirement from God.
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" -1st Timothy 2:5

Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am with them. (Matthew 18:20)

The early Church centered its practices around the sacred life of Christ. These practices later became known as sacraments. It is all a part of discipleship, following Christ. Baptism, the Lord's Supper, marriage, Confirmation, Anointing of fellow priests, and healing of the sick never occurred in a vacuum, where on baptized themselves, married themselves, healed themselves, etc. Sin, and forgiveness of sin, don't occur in a vacuum, either.

Sacramental practices, including the forgiveness of sins, were and remain community practices in the Catholic Church. The sacraments are prayers and a part of Catholic prayer life.

If you are not Catholic, then you are not required to take part in any sacrament. If you wish to follow the Catholic discipline/discipleship, then it is expected. Think of it like this: Math majors are required to take calculus as part of their discipline. On the other hand, no such discipline is required of athletes. They follow their own disciplines.

What is expected of Catholics is not required of non-Catholics. Many non-Catholics equate "required" as "must have in order to insure a place in heaven." Catholics do not see salvation is this light. Salvation is a way of life that culminates in heaven. It is God, and God alone, (not the Catholic or any other faith) who ordains who is, and who is not in heaven. In that respect, sacraments are not a "requirement."

The Catholics Ive known have explained it to me like that ( I added the verse) and it made sense.
... to actually pray to the dead or the virgin Mary...isnt biblical.

Catholics do not see any sacrament as a "requirement" to reach heaven. The sacramental life is simply a way of living this life based on how Christ lived and taught.

It is biblical to pray with the living, and for the living to pray for us. As Christ explained, God is the God of the living, which includes those who have passed on. Again, this is Catholic belief and practice. It is not even a requirement for Catholics, let alone for non-Catholics.

Thanks for explaining it in detail. It seems to make sense when a Catholic tells it.

Do Catholics hold the pope and church leaders to an almost holy status? Do you consider them servants of God...prone to the same thing we all are.

We have the letters of Peter, and we have the Gospel of Mark which many believe is as close to Peter's version of life with Christ as we can get. Christianity did not begin at the top of the Roman hierarchy. Like with the Jews, it began among the poor. It was grassroots and the hierarchy reacted in two ways. The first was to try to uproot it. When that didn't work, it figured out a way to leash it and use its power as its own.

As far as granting national victories, I believe Peter, Matthew, Andrew, and Paul would point out that Gospel was not about countries getting along with other countries, it was about people getting along with other people. Jesus was not speaking to nations and rulers of nations, he was speaking of how we as individuals relate to God and to our neighbors.

Thanks for explaining it in detail. It seems to make sense when a Catholic tells it.

Do Catholics hold the pope and church leaders to an almost holy status? Do you consider them servants of God...prone to the same thing we all are.
Catholics do respect most Church leaders who are knowledgeable and live holy lives. Most of them are indeed people who are fine examples of people who are servants and examples for the rest of us.

This being said, when I was just a youngster, nuns issued the caution of examining the type of fruit anyone--including priests and sisters produce. It was pointed out one-twelfth of the Apostles was not a good example. If in Jesus day there was inner corruption within the circle and persecution from outside the circle, we better be prepared for the same in our own time.

Many of our popes were very fine people. Some were horrid examples of human beings, let alone those ordained to be priests. Most of our priests are wonderful. But as the world knows, we've had our traitors, just as Jesus had. We work to overcome that damage just as hard as the remaining Apostles worked to overcome the damage Judas left in his wake.

I agree as long as its not a requirement or "stepping Stone" to reach God. Talking to a priest has a cathartic value to it but not a requirement from God.
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" -1st Timothy 2:5

The early Church centered its practices around the sacred life of Christ. These practices later became known as sacraments. It is all a part of discipleship, following Christ. Baptism, the Lord's Supper, marriage, Confirmation, Anointing of fellow priests, and healing of the sick never occurred in a vacuum, where on baptized themselves, married themselves, healed themselves, etc. Sin, and forgiveness of sin, don't occur in a vacuum, either.

Sacramental practices, including the forgiveness of sins, were and remain community practices in the Catholic Church. The sacraments are prayers and a part of Catholic prayer life.

If you are not Catholic, then you are not required to take part in any sacrament. If you wish to follow the Catholic discipline/discipleship, then it is expected. Think of it like this: Math majors are required to take calculus as part of their discipline. On the other hand, no such discipline is required of athletes. They follow their own disciplines.

What is expected of Catholics is not required of non-Catholics. Many non-Catholics equate "required" as "must have in order to insure a place in heaven." Catholics do not see salvation is this light. Salvation is a way of life that culminates in heaven. It is God, and God alone, (not the Catholic or any other faith) who ordains who is, and who is not in heaven. In that respect, sacraments are not a "requirement."

The Catholics Ive known have explained it to me like that ( I added the verse) and it made sense.

Catholics do not see any sacrament as a "requirement" to reach heaven. The sacramental life is simply a way of living this life based on how Christ lived and taught.

It is biblical to pray with the living, and for the living to pray for us. As Christ explained, God is the God of the living, which includes those who have passed on. Again, this is Catholic belief and practice. It is not even a requirement for Catholics, let alone for non-Catholics.

pope and decrees are believed inviolable

Bottom line: When you can pray to God directly, makes no sense to pray to others.

It is not done in the Bible and it is not mentioned in the Bible. End of debate.
No one is praying to others. They are simply asking others to pray for them. Even fundies do that.

No one is praying to others. They are simply asking others to pray for them. Even fundies do that.

Why can't they pray themselves? Why do they need any intermediary?

They want to speak to god, speak to god. Don't ask someone else to speak for you

why pray at all, god can know your thoughts already

Why can't they pray themselves? Why do they need any intermediary?

They want to speak to god, speak to god. Don't ask someone else to speak for you

why pray at all, god can know your thoughts already
I can't answer that question. Just pointing out that Bonzi is either deluded or a liar.

upload_2015-7-26_15-11-18.png

this is what happens to christianity

this is what he does when praying to god for the benefit if the people

Respect and honor those in authority but don't be led astray.

Not everyone thinks that though. At one time they did.

When we speak to a person, do we just speak to their hand, their foot, or their belly button? Of course not. We speak to the entire person. In the same way, we speak to God, acknowledging God in His completeness--Creator, Word, Spirit.

My own dad was a math teacher, basketball coach, and father of eight. Sometimes I spoke to him as math instructor; other times as basketball coach; often times as the father of the family. This did not make my dad schizophrenic, or three people. He was one person who I related to in at least three different ways. Likewise, we often relate to God, even though He is One in different ways.

Yes, but even out of the womb, milk is produced by flesh and blood. No flesh, no blood, no milk. In the Eucharist we are nourished by Christ's flesh and blood through the auspices of bread and wine. (I'm trying to explain why cannibalism isn't an accurate depiction.)

Do you have pictures of your family in your home? Anyone ever make a wood carving of a family member? Do these pictures and carvings cause you do to worship the people depicted? Don't we have these things around us because they are a part of who we are and what we stand for?

Forum List

Back