🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Catholics Don't Exemplify Christianity...

Well in a lot of ways from certain traditions, to architecture, to literature, to rhetoric, to how Jesus was portrayed and how certain events were portrayed. We must remember that the first Christians were the disciples themselves and the various others who followed them. These were Jews who believed that Jesus was a Jew, who came on behalf of the Jews, to fulfill Jewish Messianic prophecies. They were highly apocalyptic and they believed that the path to righteousness with God was to follow the Law. By the time of Constantine, the church had and continued to experience anti-semitic viewpoints, the depiction of Jesus had changed to having Him come for all mankind instead of just the Jews, the apocalyptic tradition had been heavily glossed over, and the path to righteousness with God had become Paul's doctrine of Grace.

How did that happen?

Well that's a very long story, and my guess is that you know a great deal of it already. We also have to keep in mind that it was Paul who was the most successful at spreading Christianity in the early church. Paul was a Jew, but he was also a Roman and he was converting Gentiles (Romans) so the message had to accessible and impactful for them and it had to appeal to them in a way that would be accepted from a Roman viewpoint.

An example of this would be the depiction of the trial of jesus before Pilate. This is heavily Romanized in order to appeal to a Gentile population. The portrayals of Pilate going to such lengths to save Jesus and making a show of washing his hands of it, and the Jews screaming "His blood be upon us and our children." after Pilate calls Jesus a righteous man. (Matt. 27:24-25, NIV). Pffft...give me a break. Pilate wouldn't have given two shits about Jesus. He was just the headache of the day. Pilate would probably have crucified Jesus, went to have a nice breakfast, made love to his wife, took a pleasant afternoon nap, and it wouldn't have crossed his mind further. That was thrown in there to appeal to Gentiles and instead cast responsibility upon the Jews as an entire community as evidenced by the addition of "....and our children". The author is making the point that all Jews are to blame. I highly doubt that is something that Peter, John, or even Paul, being Jews themselves, would have agreed with or made a central point of their teaching. :lol:

Another example would be the apocalyptic tradition. The disciples and especially Paul were apocalypticists. They believed the Kingdom of God was at hand. Jesus had fulfilled the Messianic prophecies, the first would be last and the last would be first. It was time! It was here! Revelation, even being written so much later, upheld that tradition. It was a great Judeo-Christian apocalypse that said just those things. The time is at hand! Rome will fall. Down with Caesar! Ok what do you do with that book and that tradition when suddenly Rome IS the church and the church IS Roman? You can't have books in your set of scripture that says 'down with Caesar, down with Rome' when the church IS Rome. So what do you do? You change the meaning and insist that author meant something else. You smooth out and gloss over the apocalyptic tradition that was absolutely vital to the beliefs and early teachings of the earliest Christians.

So there's a couple examples. I could go on but this post is long enough as it is and I think that you, being a knowledgeable and reasonable person, are already aware of these things anyhow. So there you go. ;)

Permeation works in both directions. It is equally--perhaps even more-- correct to say Rome was Christianized. The Book of Revelation is apocalyptic literature, written during the time Rome was persecuting Christians. As we know, apocalyptic literature dealt with end times. Jewish thought had changed from a king who would change the world so that it was always good, to a more realistic interpretation that the rule of good in the world could only ever be short-term. Therefore godliness would only last for a thousand years after the crowning of a human, Jewish king, at which time the world would end.

In Revelation, John, with his imagery, reminded Jewish followers of all the times Jews were persecuted, and how they were always revived to go on to bigger and better things because God is always victorious.

Christianity wasn't Romanized to appeal to the Roman. Christianity appealed to Romans, and brought some non-Jewish ways into Christianity. Christianity was open to this because of the Noachide Laws that both Jews and Christians agreed ruled both Jews and non-Jews. Jews, however, were committed to following additional customs God set for specifically for Jews.

Gentiles could better grasp the idea of Father-Son-Holy Spirit, the idea of One God encompassing creator-word-spirit. Since The Word had a human, as well as divine nature, this was a breaking point for Jews who held God could in no way be human.

I agree with you that the story of Pilate and crucifixion had some dramatic addition and--I believe--some equally dramatic deletions. However, I also believe the crux of the story survived both. More than anything else, I would love to know the real story of the crucifixion. I think most people would be devastated by the truth, but I think, for the rest of us, it would become even more awesome.

So yes. Christianity was Judaized, Romanized, Greeked, Spanished, Anglicized, Germanticized, Americanized, Chinesed, Africanized, and etc, etc. etc. It will also be futurized because Christianity is not a static religion because the Holy Spirit is not static--and neither are we. However, the heart of all is Christ.

Anyway, great sharing thoughts with you!

Well sure...Rome eventually became Christianized. I mean that is obvious. But what form of Christianity? Was it the form that Peter spoke of? I don't think so. They met somewhere in the middle. As far as Christianity appealing to Romans...wow...I don't see that at all. Romans respected power. People today sometimes argue that Christianity spread in part because the Romans saw these brave Christians willing to be martyred for their faith and that sparked their interest. No way! Romans respected people who fought. They would have seen the willingness to die without even putting up a fight as being cowardly. To a Roman there was nothing appealing about that at all.

Christianity did spread, of course, but it had no influence or legitimacy in Roman society until Constantine started winning battles backed by the Christian God. Before that, Romans would say 'what power or authority does this Christian God have? We haven't seen anything. We have seen great battles won by the grace of Mars. We have seen what happens when you do not appease Vulcan...you get a volcanic eruption.' These were signs of the power of the gods and that's what Romans paid attention to.

Now after Constantine and Constantius started kicking ass backed by the Christian God...ok NOW there is a God Romans can get behind because He is making the Empire more powerful. Then Julian comes in, re-establishes the pagan gods and subsequently gets his ass kicked. Jovian restores Christianity, Valentinian starts kicking ass again and that's it. That's all the Romans needed to see. Game, set, and match baby. :lol:

Now....can you imagine how Peter, Matthew, Andrew, or even Paul would have reacted had you told them that in a few centuries Jesus/God would be granting victories to Rome?!?!?!

As always...love your input

Christianity was spread by force. Heretics and pagan were converted or threatened with death. They did not all fall in love with christianity. even after 'conversion' they kept many of their old ways and beliefs. They show up through out the christian world even today.
So called conversion, not everyone who claims to be a Christian, is one.

not all muslims that claim to be are one

The Pope is no different than you or I. In fact, that is not Biblical either
Please don't use Catholicism as an example of Christianity..
Their doctrine is flawed.

You pray to GOD and JESUS not Mary.
Your sins are forgiven by GOD, not a Priest.

It's CRAP!
Not very 'Christian' of you.
It's VERY Christian, pointing out false doctrine

the pope is head of the church and faith, what he says is beyond question. Most christians are catholic as truly believe this.

much as change in the last few years and more in the near future but they are playing catch up with most of the world.

Most religion are stuck in the past

What denomination am I proclaiming?

Currently I see you as one who makes up false doctrine and claims Catholics actually teach/practice it.

I do not know which Christian denomination you follow.
You said I was proclaiming one denomination. I'm pointing out false doctrine of the Catholic church and will add more tomorrow. I'll be keeping you busy :)

The Pope is no different than you or I. In fact, that is not Biblical either

It's CRAP!
Not very 'Christian' of you.

the pope is head of the church and faith, what he says is beyond question. Most christians are catholic as truly believe this.

much as change in the last few years and more in the near future but they are playing catch up with most of the world.

He's a sinful human no different from you and I he should be questioned as he is capable or error

Well in a lot of ways from certain traditions, to architecture, to literature, to rhetoric, to how Jesus was portrayed and how certain events were portrayed. We must remember that the first Christians were the disciples themselves and the various others who followed them. These were Jews who believed that Jesus was a Jew, who came on behalf of the Jews, to fulfill Jewish Messianic prophecies. They were highly apocalyptic and they believed that the path to righteousness with God was to follow the Law. By the time of Constantine, the church had and continued to experience anti-semitic viewpoints, the depiction of Jesus had changed to having Him come for all mankind instead of just the Jews, the apocalyptic tradition had been heavily glossed over, and the path to righteousness with God had become Paul's doctrine of Grace.

How did that happen?

Well that's a very long story, and my guess is that you know a great deal of it already. We also have to keep in mind that it was Paul who was the most successful at spreading Christianity in the early church. Paul was a Jew, but he was also a Roman and he was converting Gentiles (Romans) so the message had to accessible and impactful for them and it had to appeal to them in a way that would be accepted from a Roman viewpoint.

An example of this would be the depiction of the trial of jesus before Pilate. This is heavily Romanized in order to appeal to a Gentile population. The portrayals of Pilate going to such lengths to save Jesus and making a show of washing his hands of it, and the Jews screaming "His blood be upon us and our children." after Pilate calls Jesus a righteous man. (Matt. 27:24-25, NIV). Pffft...give me a break. Pilate wouldn't have given two shits about Jesus. He was just the headache of the day. Pilate would probably have crucified Jesus, went to have a nice breakfast, made love to his wife, took a pleasant afternoon nap, and it wouldn't have crossed his mind further. That was thrown in there to appeal to Gentiles and instead cast responsibility upon the Jews as an entire community as evidenced by the addition of "....and our children". The author is making the point that all Jews are to blame. I highly doubt that is something that Peter, John, or even Paul, being Jews themselves, would have agreed with or made a central point of their teaching. :lol:

Another example would be the apocalyptic tradition. The disciples and especially Paul were apocalypticists. They believed the Kingdom of God was at hand. Jesus had fulfilled the Messianic prophecies, the first would be last and the last would be first. It was time! It was here! Revelation, even being written so much later, upheld that tradition. It was a great Judeo-Christian apocalypse that said just those things. The time is at hand! Rome will fall. Down with Caesar! Ok what do you do with that book and that tradition when suddenly Rome IS the church and the church IS Roman? You can't have books in your set of scripture that says 'down with Caesar, down with Rome' when the church IS Rome. So what do you do? You change the meaning and insist that author meant something else. You smooth out and gloss over the apocalyptic tradition that was absolutely vital to the beliefs and early teachings of the earliest Christians.

So there's a couple examples. I could go on but this post is long enough as it is and I think that you, being a knowledgeable and reasonable person, are already aware of these things anyhow. So there you go. ;)

Permeation works in both directions. It is equally--perhaps even more-- correct to say Rome was Christianized. The Book of Revelation is apocalyptic literature, written during the time Rome was persecuting Christians. As we know, apocalyptic literature dealt with end times. Jewish thought had changed from a king who would change the world so that it was always good, to a more realistic interpretation that the rule of good in the world could only ever be short-term. Therefore godliness would only last for a thousand years after the crowning of a human, Jewish king, at which time the world would end.

In Revelation, John, with his imagery, reminded Jewish followers of all the times Jews were persecuted, and how they were always revived to go on to bigger and better things because God is always victorious.

Christianity wasn't Romanized to appeal to the Roman. Christianity appealed to Romans, and brought some non-Jewish ways into Christianity. Christianity was open to this because of the Noachide Laws that both Jews and Christians agreed ruled both Jews and non-Jews. Jews, however, were committed to following additional customs God set for specifically for Jews.

Gentiles could better grasp the idea of Father-Son-Holy Spirit, the idea of One God encompassing creator-word-spirit. Since The Word had a human, as well as divine nature, this was a breaking point for Jews who held God could in no way be human.

I agree with you that the story of Pilate and crucifixion had some dramatic addition and--I believe--some equally dramatic deletions. However, I also believe the crux of the story survived both. More than anything else, I would love to know the real story of the crucifixion. I think most people would be devastated by the truth, but I think, for the rest of us, it would become even more awesome.

So yes. Christianity was Judaized, Romanized, Greeked, Spanished, Anglicized, Germanticized, Americanized, Chinesed, Africanized, and etc, etc. etc. It will also be futurized because Christianity is not a static religion because the Holy Spirit is not static--and neither are we. However, the heart of all is Christ.

Well sure...Rome eventually became Christianized. I mean that is obvious. But what form of Christianity? Was it the form that Peter spoke of? I don't think so. They met somewhere in the middle. As far as Christianity appealing to Romans...wow...I don't see that at all. Romans respected power. People today sometimes argue that Christianity spread in part because the Romans saw these brave Christians willing to be martyred for their faith and that sparked their interest. No way! Romans respected people who fought. They would have seen the willingness to die without even putting up a fight as being cowardly. To a Roman there was nothing appealing about that at all.

Christianity did spread, of course, but it had no influence or legitimacy in Roman society until Constantine started winning battles backed by the Christian God. Before that, Romans would say 'what power or authority does this Christian God have? We haven't seen anything. We have seen great battles won by the grace of Mars. We have seen what happens when you do not appease Vulcan...you get a volcanic eruption.' These were signs of the power of the gods and that's what Romans paid attention to.

Now after Constantine and Constantius started kicking ass backed by the Christian God...ok NOW there is a God Romans can get behind because He is making the Empire more powerful. Then Julian comes in, re-establishes the pagan gods and subsequently gets his ass kicked. Jovian restores Christianity, Valentinian starts kicking ass again and that's it. That's all the Romans needed to see. Game, set, and match baby. :lol:

Now....can you imagine how Peter, Matthew, Andrew, or even Paul would have reacted had you told them that in a few centuries Jesus/God would be granting victories to Rome?!?!?!

Christianity was spread by force. Heretics and pagan were converted or threatened with death. They did not all fall in love with christianity. even after 'conversion' they kept many of their old ways and beliefs. They show up through out the christian world even today.

Your point?

Your point?

Far too many people who claim faith don't really understand that faith or faith in general.

They claim to know and get indignant when they are presented with evidence to the contrary

Faith should not be based on a closed mind but on rational decision after examining all other evidence and point of view.

We have a brain and should be using it, all the time, other wise we are wasting that gift

Perhaps non-Catholics believe the Pope cannot be questioned, but this is not how Catholics see the Pope. It is established Catholic doctrine, not the Pope, that is "beyond question." The Pope, like any other Catholic is unique and has a right to his own opinions, which in turn may be debated by others.

Many Catholic Saints and Popes have disagreed with one another.

The only thing that has changed is (probably because of the advent of the Internet) is that non-Catholics are more aware of actual Catholic teaching rather than what is taught about Catholics by non-Catholics. It is the non-Catholics, not the Catholics who are catching up. (My observation.)

You said I was proclaiming one denomination. I'm pointing out false doctrine of the Catholic church and will add more tomorrow. I'll be keeping you busy :)

Let's review the conversation:

What is neither Christian nor scholarly is to make up a doctrine and announce that the made-up doctrine is taught/practiced by Catholics (or some other denomination).

To me it seems best to proclaim what one's own denomination of Christianity teaches and leave it to practitioners of other denominations to tell about their own.

You are making up false doctrine and claiming Catholics actually practice/teach this made up doctrine of yours. We don't.

Instead of spreading lies about another Christian denomination (of which you are not a member and clearly don't know their actual doctrines and practices) why don't we talk about your doctrines and practices?

As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing in the Bible that gives Catholic priests exclusive authority to perform any function in Christianity.
Where, specifically, are Catholic priests claiming exclusive authority?

You have GOT to be kidding! The authority to hear confessions, and to assign absolutions? The authority to perform the sacraments? I could go on for pages, but your question is too absurd to take seriously!

You have GOT to be kidding! The authority to hear confessions, and to assign absolutions? The authority to perform the sacraments? I could go on for pages, but your question is too absurd to take seriously!

You said, "Exclusive authority." Some non-Catholics go to their own ministers. Some people go to psychiatrists or psychologists.

1. Even atheists can perform baptisms
2. People confess to all kinds of people
3. People go to doctors for healing
4. Anyone can go online and be authorized to marry people
5. There are all kinds of pastors, ministers not anointed by a Catholic bishop.

So, no, my question is not absurd. What is puzzling is you seem to think priests are the only people who can do these things. Where did you come up with this idea?

It's CRAP!
Most Christians don't exemplify the teachings of Christ.

In fact they represent everything Christ was against.

Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment.
-
Catholics regularly bow down to idols, icons and images of Jesus, Mary and the apostles, kissing the feet of the statues and praying to them. The Bible teaches that WE ONLY PRAY TO DEITY and Christians considers it paganism and polytheism to pray to anyone EXCEPT the Father, Son or Holy Spirit. So while Catholics pray to Mary, they fail to comprehend that only deity is to be prayed to. The Bible clearly teaches that all dead humans, though conscious in the spirit world, are unable to know anything, much less hear prayers addressed to them. Bowing down to icons and kissing them etc. so closely resembles idol worship it is actually shocking that any Roman Catholic would attempt to defend the practice.

Bonzi? Technically all Christians break the second commandment which is: You shall have no other gods before Me.

True, be we don't actively do it in church! Maybe by unwillful sinning,
but doing it in church willfully?

You do it because you are doing it at all.

Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment.
-
Catholics regularly bow down to idols, icons and images of Jesus, Mary and the apostles, kissing the feet of the statues and praying to them. The Bible teaches that WE ONLY PRAY TO DEITY and Christians considers it paganism and polytheism to pray to anyone EXCEPT the Father, Son or Holy Spirit. So while Catholics pray to Mary, they fail to comprehend that only deity is to be prayed to. The Bible clearly teaches that all dead humans, though conscious in the spirit world, are unable to know anything, much less hear prayers addressed to them. Bowing down to icons and kissing them etc. so closely resembles idol worship it is actually shocking that any Roman Catholic would attempt to defend the practice.

Bonzi? Technically all Christians break the second commandment which is: You shall have no other gods before Me.

The triune god is one god - like three directions are one space. And mother Mary is mother Mary. We love Mother Mary - everyone loves mother Mary. Neverthelels Mohammed - who was himselve one of the greatest admirer of mother Mary - was right when he said something like "Who believes in the triune god - God father, Jesus Christ and mother Mary - is not a Christian", because indeed the holy family is Joseph, Mary and Jesus and the triune god is god father, god son and the holy spirit.

I understand the justification. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

You said, "Exclusive authority." Some non-Catholics go to their own ministers. Some people go to psychiatrists or psychologists.

1. Even atheists can perform baptisms
2. People confess to all kinds of people
3. People go to doctors for healing
4. Anyone can go online and be authorized to marry people
5. There are all kinds of pastors, ministers not anointed by a Catholic bishop.

So, no, my question is not absurd. What is puzzling is you seem to think priests are the only people who can do these things. Where did you come up with this idea?

Yet if I confess to a Catholic priest, he can give me a penance, and my sins are forgiven. Does that happen when I go to a psychiatrist? May I, as a Catholic, marry again after a divorce and still participate in the sacraments by a Catholic priest? Why couldn't my wife's sister get married in another parish, back in 1965, without her parish priest's permission?

Yet if I confess to a Catholic priest, he can give me a penance, and my sins are forgiven. Does that happen when I go to a psychiatrist? May I, as a Catholic, marry again after a divorce and still participate in the sacraments by a Catholic priest? Why couldn't my wife's sister get married in another parish, back in 1965, without her parish priest's permission?

Are you Catholic? Catholic practices are for Catholics who wish to follow the Catholic faith. Your complaints are like me complaining that the professional football players must play the game by certain rules.

Yes, priests can assign a penance. The penitent can blow it off. A psychiatrist can suggest a patient try something, and that patient can elect not to try it.

Catholics practice a single binding marriage--a marriage bound by God, not by man. Therefore, a Catholic priest is not allowed to to bind an individual to a second spouse.

Can an athlete insist that he should not have to follow one rule, but still should be allowed to stay on the field for every play?

Informed Catholics, like informed football players, not only live by the rules, they understand why the rules are in play to begin with.

It's CRAP!
Ignorant nonsense.

Catholics are just as much Christian as any other sect.
Every religion has a hook. Mormons say God told them all the other Christians were wrong corrupt or no longer have the authority from God. It was lost sometime in the dark ages when we had evil corrupt popes who sainted themselves.

Born again say all of us who were baptized as kids have to do it again.

Ever notice Jews don't try to convert?

Are you Catholic? Catholic practices are for Catholics who wish to follow the Catholic faith. Your complaints are like me complaining that the professional football players must play the game by certain rules.

Yes, priests can assign a penance. The penitent can blow it off. A psychiatrist can suggest a patient try something, and that patient can elect not to try it.

Catholics practice a single binding marriage--a marriage bound by God, not by man. Therefore, a Catholic priest is not allowed to to bind an individual to a second spouse.

Can an athlete insist that he should not have to follow one rule, but still should be allowed to stay on the field for every play?

Informed Catholics, like informed football players, not only live by the rules, they understand why the rules are in play to begin with.

Ok. I will get to the bottom line. Catholics, like Mormons. have a top down church. All authority rests at the top. This is the way they structured their church, without any such authority from the Bible. I would never join a faith where I could not fire my priest.

Ok. I will get to the bottom line. Catholics, like Mormons. have a top down church. All authority rests at the top. This is the way they structured their church, without any such authority from the Bible. I would never join a faith where I could not fire my priest.

Can football players fire their coach? Can an employee fire the boss? There are a lot of things in life we have little power over. That does not mean we have no power. In all the towns I have lived in throughout my life, there was only one town (who had a magnificent priest) where I haven't been able to choose which church and even which priests to whom I go.

Of all the reasons not be Catholic, it is my opinion you have chosen a rather lame one. The ironic thing about this: My best friend's father was a minister. A faction in the church where he was a pastor voted him out. The church dwindled quickly once he left, whereas the parish he went to next grew.

Forum List

Back