Child bride in Yemen dies of internal bleeding on wedding night: activist

We aren't talking about rates only, although that is part of it. It is well documented that Child marriages occur in the West among Muslim communities as well.

It is also well documented that those are uncommon and occur primarily in new immigrant communities from - guess where?

They do, but to a far less extent and they also occur in many other areas around the world and in different religions as I've repeatedly pointed out.

Religion may play a factor but it is not the dominant factor and you haven't proved that it is. What you keep on trying to claim is that in Islamic countries religion is the overriding reason while in other countries, it's something else. This just doesn't fly since you have countries in Africa side by side with high rates and different religions.

You have a prophet that by SOME accounts married a 9 year old and by OTHER accounts, consumated marriage at 16 - you have by no means a definitive fact here and by no means is that age an agreed upon marriagable age in all or even most Islamic countries (looking at age of marriage laws). You keep ignoring that.

The example I gave you was not simply "idolizing" young brides - it was a specific example of child marriage to a god (aspect).

Not at all. I have never made the claim that religion has no effect. My argument is that the effect religion plays is less than some of the other effects such as poverty and that is an argument supported in the sources I've used.

That's how it worked in the old days, religion was the greatest influence, so it affected culture and in turn culture affected religious practices. As hard as you try, you can't separate the two.

If the two are that intertwined Roudy (and I agree, they are though child marriages long predated Islam), then why aren't you making the same case for Hindu and Christian countries? Africa leads the pack in child marriages with by far the most number of countries involved and both Christian and Muslim religions.
I don't think child marriage can be directly traced to religion with Christianity, Hinduism or Judaism, the way it can with Islam. And proof of that is the Muslims themselves, and the fact that they cite Mohammad's marriage to Aisha as the reason.

Again the reason I brought up Iran, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia was not because of frequency, but because in those countries child marriage was legalized specifically because of Islam and Mohammad's marriage to a 9 year old.

Re Aisha's age, perhaps you can tell that to the religious courts and Islamic clerics who claim that Aisha was 9, as justification for child marriage. After all, wouldn't they be the ones who know more about Islam and Mohammad than you and I? I think a majority of Muslims agree that Mohammad was engaged to Aisha when she was 6 and the marriage was consummated when she was it her 8 or 9 depending on which source you go by. There is no real dispute as to her age. Your view is not mainstream at all on this.
I read today that the Yemen legislature has proposed a bill to set marriage at 18 for females in the wake of this tragic incident. I'll post the article when I find it.

I don't think child marriage can be directly traced to religion with Christianity, Hinduism or Judaism, the way it can with Islam. And proof of that is the Muslims themselves, and the fact that they cite Mohammad's marriage to Aisha as the reason.

I pointed out exactly how child marriage can be directly traced to religion with Hinduism - very directly.

Proof is that some Muslims cite Aisha. I don't disagree there. But is it a major driver? Perhaps in some of these countries such as Iran where there are ongoing attempts to lower the marriage age of young girls. But you make the claim that it is the major cause in all Islamic countries - yet they don't all agree on Aisha's age and they don't all have the same reasons for child marriage.

Again the reason I brought up Iran, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia was not because of frequency, but because in those countries child marriage was legalized specifically because of Islam and Mohammad's marriage to a 9 year old.

Islam might be a bigger factor in those countries you list, but the countries with the largest numbers of child marriages are in Africa where poverty and lack of education and instability are the most frequently cited reasons for child marriages.

Re Aisha's age, perhaps you can tell that to the religious courts and Islamic clerics who claim that Aisha was 9, as justification for child marriage. After all, wouldn't they be the ones who know more about Islam and Mohammad than you and I?

I would expect a Muslim or someone who has studied Islam and Islamic law to know more than you or I. I provided a number of MUSLIM sources concerning Aisha's age. Osomir provided a great deal of information on that as well.

I think a majority of Muslims agree that Mohammad was engaged to Aisha when she was 6 and the marriage was consummated when she was it her 8 or 9 depending on which source you go by. There is no real dispute as to her age. Your view is not mainstream at all on this.

There is plenty of dispute as to her age - I provided evidence of that. From Muslim sources.

What evidence do you have that the majority think the marriage was consummated at 8 or 9? Historical facts of the events surrounding her life do not add up to such a young age - as was pointed out.

It is also well documented that those are uncommon and occur primarily in new immigrant communities from - guess where?

They do, but to a far less extent and they also occur in many other areas around the world and in different religions as I've repeatedly pointed out.

Religion may play a factor but it is not the dominant factor and you haven't proved that it is. What you keep on trying to claim is that in Islamic countries religion is the overriding reason while in other countries, it's something else. This just doesn't fly since you have countries in Africa side by side with high rates and different religions.

You have a prophet that by SOME accounts married a 9 year old and by OTHER accounts, consumated marriage at 16 - you have by no means a definitive fact here and by no means is that age an agreed upon marriagable age in all or even most Islamic countries (looking at age of marriage laws). You keep ignoring that.

The example I gave you was not simply "idolizing" young brides - it was a specific example of child marriage to a god (aspect).

Not at all. I have never made the claim that religion has no effect. My argument is that the effect religion plays is less than some of the other effects such as poverty and that is an argument supported in the sources I've used.

If the two are that intertwined Roudy (and I agree, they are though child marriages long predated Islam), then why aren't you making the same case for Hindu and Christian countries? Africa leads the pack in child marriages with by far the most number of countries involved and both Christian and Muslim religions.

Re Aisha's age, perhaps you can tell that to the religious courts and Islamic clerics who claim that Aisha was 9, as justification for child marriage. After all, wouldn't they be the ones who know more about Islam and Mohammad than you and I? I think a majority of Muslims agree that Mohammad was engaged to Aisha when she was 6 and the marriage was consummated when she was it her 8 or 9 depending on which source you go by. There is no real dispute as to her age. Your view is not mainstream at all on this.
I read today that the Yemen legislature has proposed a bill to set marriage at 18 for females in the wake of this tragic incident. I'll post the article when I find it.
18? Wow, so they're going to force those poor men to marry a bunch of geezers now? That's a pretty harsh punishment.

18? Wow, so they're going to force those poor men to marry a bunch of geezers now? That's a pretty harsh punishment.
Found the article.

Yemen Child Marriage Law: Human Rights Minister Wants To Set Minimum Age At 18

He was 53 when he raped her at the age of 9.

Aisha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Geezus, but I thought Aisha's age was "disputed" yet your reference makes no mention of this! If you can't bring the prophet Mohammad to the 6 year old Aisha, then you can bring the 6 year old Aisha to the Mohammad!

From your reference:

‘Ā’ishah bint Abī Bakr (b. 613/614 C.E.[1][2] – d. 678 C.E.[3]) (Arabic: عائشة* transliteration: ‘Ā’ishah, [ʕaːʔiʃa], also transcribed as A'ishah, Aisyah, Ayesha, A'isha, Aishat, Aishah, or Aisha) was one of Muḥammad's wives.[4] In Islamic writings, her name is thus often prefixed by the title "Mother of the Believers" (Arabic: أمّ المؤمنين umm al-mu'minīn), per the description of Muhammad's wives in the Qur'an.[5][6][7]
Traditional sources state that Aisha was married to Muhammad at the age of six, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine, when the marriage was consummated with Muhammad, then 53, in Medina.

the kicker:

There are also various traditions that reveal the mutual affection between Muhammad and Aisha. He would often just sit and watch her and her friends play with dolls, and on occasion he would even join them.

Aaww ain't that something, he even played dolls with her. Would that be before or after?

And here's the India you keep harping about. Problem AGAIN, is with the Indian Muslims!

Child marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929 was passed during the tenure of British rule on pre-partition India. It forbade the marriage of a male younger than 21 or a female younger than 18 for Hindus, Buddhists, Christians and most people of India. However, this law did not and currently does not apply to India's 165 million Muslim population, and only applies to India's Hindu, Christian, Jain, Sikh and other religious minorities. This link of law and religion was formalized by the British colonial rule with the Muslim personal laws codified in the Indian Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act of 1937. The age at which India's Muslim girl can legally marry, according to this Muslim Personal Law, is 9 years, and can be lower if her guardian (wali) decides she is sexually mature.[70][71] Over the last 25 years, All India Muslim Personal Law Board and other Muslim civil organizations have actively opposed India-wide laws and enforcement action against child marriages; they have argued that Indian Muslim families have a religious right to marry a girl when her age is 15 or even 12.[72] Several states of India claim specially high child marriage rates in their Muslim and tribal communities.[73] India, with a population of over 1.2 billion, has the world's highest total number of child marriages. It is a significant social issue.

Pakistan

Another custom in Pakistan, called swara or vani, involves village elders solving family disputes or settling unpaid debts by marrying off young girls. The average marriage age of swara girls is between 5 and 9 years old.[76][79] Similarly, the custom of watta satta has been cited[80] as a cause of child marriages in Pakistan.

Sounds like egg, or should I say LIPSTICK on the face!

Geezus, but I thought Aisha's age was "disputed" yet your reference makes no mention of this! If you can't bring the prophet Mohammad to the 6 year old Aisha, then you can bring the 6 year old Aisha to the Mohammad!

From your reference:

‘Ā’ishah bint Abī Bakr (b. 613/614 C.E.[1][2] – d. 678 C.E.[3]) (Arabic: عائشة* transliteration: ‘Ā’ishah, [ʕaːʔiʃa], also transcribed as A'ishah, Aisyah, Ayesha, A'isha, Aishat, Aishah, or Aisha) was one of Muḥammad's wives.[4] In Islamic writings, her name is thus often prefixed by the title "Mother of the Believers" (Arabic: أمّ المؤمنين umm al-mu'minīn), per the description of Muhammad's wives in the Qur'an.[5][6][7]
Traditional sources state that Aisha was married to Muhammad at the age of six, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine, when the marriage was consummated with Muhammad, then 53, in Medina.

the kicker:

There are also various traditions that reveal the mutual affection between Muhammad and Aisha. He would often just sit and watch her and her friends play with dolls, and on occasion he would even join them.

Aaww ain't that something, he even played dolls with her. Would that be before or after?
I wonder how many of her friends he raped.

Yes...like Mary was 12 when God raped her.:eusa_eh: (warning - sarcasm alert)

Age of Aisha (ra) at time of marriage
Aisha's Age
The truth about Muhammad and Aisha | Myriam François-Cerrah | Comment is free | theguardian.com
Of Aisha?s age at marriage - DAWN.COM
What was Ayesha’s (ra) Age at the Time of Her Marriage?

On the Marriage of Aisha | Islamophobia Today eNewspaper
To be sure Aisha’s age at the time of her marriage was not an issue or even a point of attack for anti-Islam/Muslim polemicists before the 20th century for the very simple reason that adolescence is a product of the 20th century; Islamic studies professor Jonathan Brown makes this point in response to a question on the topic.

Interestingly enough traditional scholarship is not unanimously in agreement about Aisha’s age despite the report in Bukhari. Recently, Mohammad Fadel, professor of law at the University of Toronto with a background in Islamic law had a conversation with an eminent Syrian hadith scholar by the name of Salah al-Din al-Idlibi who concludes based on all the available historical reports that Aisha was 14 at the time that she contracted her marriage and 18 when she began her married life with Prophet Mohammad. (h/t: Amin S.)

The whole "age of Aisha" seems to really bother non muslims and they seem to be obsessed with the issue.

But in the Islamic community it's not a big issue and muslims don't dwell on the topic. .. :cool:

And here's the India you keep harping about. Problem AGAIN, is with the Indian Muslims!

The Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929 was passed during the tenure of British rule on pre-partition India. It forbade the marriage of a male younger than 21 or a female younger than 18 for Hindus, Buddhists, Christians and most people of India. However, this law did not and currently does not apply to India's 165 million Muslim population, and only applies to India's Hindu, Christian, Jain, Sikh and other religious minorities. This link of law and religion was formalized by the British colonial rule with the Muslim personal laws codified in the Indian Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act of 1937. The age at which India's Muslim girl can legally marry, according to this Muslim Personal Law, is 9 years, and can be lower if her guardian (wali) decides she is sexually mature.[70][71] Over the last 25 years, All India Muslim Personal Law Board and other Muslim civil organizations have actively opposed India-wide laws and enforcement action against child marriages; they have argued that Indian Muslim families have a religious right to marry a girl when her age is 15 or even 12.[72] Several states of India claim specially high child marriage rates in their Muslim and tribal communities.[73] India, with a population of over 1.2 billion, has the world's highest total number of child marriages. It is a significant social issue.

Pakistan

Another custom in Pakistan, called swara or vani, involves village elders solving family disputes or settling unpaid debts by marrying off young girls. The average marriage age of swara girls is between 5 and 9 years old.[76][79] Similarly, the custom of watta satta has been cited[80] as a cause of child marriages in Pakistan.

Again, it's not "the Muslims". Or, at least not in the way you want it to appear.

The practice is more prevalent amongst the Muslims - I don't disagree. However, that by no means even begins to address the huge numbers in Hindu dominant nations.

India is 80% Hindu and 13% Muslim; Nepal is 81% Hindu and 4% Muslim. Both those nations are in the top ten for child marriages. Your own source states: India, with a population of over 1.2 billion, has the world's highest total number of child marriages. It is a significant social issue.

You are not going to get that with just or mostly numbers from the Muslim minority.

Child marriages persist in rural India | Asian Tribune

These stories illustrate the crime of child marriage. Although illegal, the practice of child marriage is widespread and accepted by the majority of Indian society, especially in the many rural areas of the country.

...women and girls are the main victims of child marriages. Sati is a Hindu practice which consists of the widow’s immolation on her dead husband’s funeral pyre. Women are seen as property with ownership rights to someone else, her parents, her husband or her in-laws. In some cases, husbands sell their wives, even their unmarried daughters, as sexual partners to other men.

Religion plays a key role in such harmful traditions and practices. Akhai Teej is an annual festival and an auspicious day for marriage in India. It is not uncommon for political leaders and government officials to attend these ceremonies to bless newly- married children and impart legitimacy to the practice. The society in turn, instead of playing a watchdog role, is an enthusiastic participant in a deliberate perpetuation of entrenched interests, including property and social considerations, all which make child marriages so

Akhai Teej is a Hindu festival. :eusa_eh:

The practice is particularly rampant in the populous northern belt where child marriages are most deeply rooted: Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal, with a combined population of 420 million, about 40 percent of all India. In Rajasthan alone, 56% of the women have been married before they were 15.

Rajasthan is 89% Hindu, Madhya Pradesh (91% Hindu), Uttar Pradesh (80% Hindu), Bihar (83% Hindu), West Bengal (73%, with the largest Muslim minority of these districts at 25%).

So...to clarify, here is my position, which I've modified slightly:

Child marriages are a serious issue in much of the developing world.

The causes are various and often intertwined: poverty, lack of education, culture, political instability and war, religious values, weak governmental authority.

I concede religion may play a greater role in child marriages when it comes to Muslim and Hindu communities in certain parts of the world.

When it comes to Islam, however - there is not a unified opinion among scholars as to the propriety of child marriages or the age of Aisha at marriage and consumation (I've supported this with multiple links). While Aisha's age is undoubtedly used in some regions to justify child marriages it is also bound up in cultural traditions and far more prevalent in rural, poorly educated and poor regions then in better educated urban areas regardless of religion. Ignorance, superstition, lack of women's rights (which extends to girl children) often go hand in hand with the most fundamentalist forms of religion.

Given the above, I strongly condemn those who attempt to smear all or even most of Islam and Muslims as a group as being supporters of pedophilia and child marriages. I firmly believe those who do can accurately be labeled "hate groups" who are less interested in resolving the issue then in demonizing Islam since, at least as is shown in discussions thus far - they largely discount what happens in the non-Muslim world and non-religious reasons for child marriages..

Wipe off the egg before it dries :)

In Jewish Ashkenazi communities in the Middle Ages, girls were married off very young.[81] Despite the young threshold for marriage a large age gap between the spouses was opposed,[82] and, in particular, marrying one's young daughter to an old man was declared as reprehensible as forcing her into prostitution.[83] Child marriage was possible in Judaism due to the very low marriageable age for girls. A ketannah (literally meaning "little [one]") was any girl between the age of 3 years and that of 12 years plus one day
Jewish views on marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a good thing. But I seriously doubt that government has the strength to enforce it.

Pakistan

Again, it's not "the Muslims". Or, at least not in the way you want it to appear.

The practice is more prevalent amongst the Muslims - I don't disagree. However, that by no means even begins to address the huge numbers in Hindu dominant nations.

India is 80% Hindu and 13% Muslim; Nepal is 81% Hindu and 4% Muslim. Both those nations are in the top ten for child marriages. Your own source states: India, with a population of over 1.2 billion, has the world's highest total number of child marriages. It is a significant social issue.

You are not going to get that with just or mostly numbers from the Muslim minority.

Child marriages persist in rural India | Asian Tribune

These stories illustrate the crime of child marriage. Although illegal, the practice of child marriage is widespread and accepted by the majority of Indian society, especially in the many rural areas of the country.

...women and girls are the main victims of child marriages. Sati is a Hindu practice which consists of the widow’s immolation on her dead husband’s funeral pyre. Women are seen as property with ownership rights to someone else, her parents, her husband or her in-laws. In some cases, husbands sell their wives, even their unmarried daughters, as sexual partners to other men.

Religion plays a key role in such harmful traditions and practices. Akhai Teej is an annual festival and an auspicious day for marriage in India. It is not uncommon for political leaders and government officials to attend these ceremonies to bless newly- married children and impart legitimacy to the practice. The society in turn, instead of playing a watchdog role, is an enthusiastic participant in a deliberate perpetuation of entrenched interests, including property and social considerations, all which make child marriages so

Akhai Teej is a Hindu festival. :eusa_eh:

The practice is particularly rampant in the populous northern belt where child marriages are most deeply rooted: Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal, with a combined population of 420 million, about 40 percent of all India. In Rajasthan alone, 56% of the women have been married before they were 15.

Rajasthan is 89% Hindu, Madhya Pradesh (91% Hindu), Uttar Pradesh (80% Hindu), Bihar (83% Hindu), West Bengal (73%, with the largest Muslim minority of these districts at 25%).

So...to clarify, here is my position, which I've modified slightly:

Child marriages are a serious issue in much of the developing world.

The causes are various and often intertwined: poverty, lack of education, culture, political instability and war, religious values, weak governmental authority.

I concede religion may play a greater role in child marriages when it comes to Muslim and Hindu communities in certain parts of the world.

When it comes to Islam, however - there is not a unified opinion among scholars as to the propriety of child marriages or the age of Aisha at marriage and consumation (I've supported this with multiple links). While Aisha's age is undoubtedly used in some regions to justify child marriages it is also bound up in cultural traditions and far more prevalent in rural, poorly educated and poor regions then in better educated urban areas regardless of religion. Ignorance, superstition, lack of women's rights (which extends to girl children) often go hand in hand with the most fundamentalist forms of religion.

Given the above, I strongly condemn those who attempt to smear all or even most of Islam and Muslims as a group as being supporters of pedophilia and child marriages. I firmly believe those who do can accurately be labeled "hate groups" who are less interested in resolving the issue then in demonizing Islam since, at least as is shown in discussions thus far - they largely discount what happens in the non-Muslim world and non-religious reasons for child marriages..

Wipe off the egg before it dries :)
This is called "you can run but you can't hide" syndrome. I even showed you that in countries where you yourself cited as examples of child marriages in other cultures and religions, it is the Muslims in that community that have the biggest problem with child marriage. At what point do you conceed that you lost this argument, not once, but many times. Yes, it's prevalent among Muslims, and yes, Islam has a big influence on why it's so prevalent. Accept it and move on. You are too committed to defending something with bogus and controversial "facts" because of your own bias. However in the process you aren't doing a favor to yourself, or the people you think you're defending. This strategy isn't working for you.

Read what I posted again:

The Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929 was passed during the tenure of British rule on pre-partition India. It forbade the marriage of a male younger than 21 or a female younger than 18 for Hindus, Buddhists, Christians and most people of India. However, this law did not and currently does not apply to India's 165 million Muslim population, and only applies to India's Hindu, Christian, Jain, Sikh and other religious minorities. This link of law and religion was formalized by the British colonial rule with the Muslim personal laws codified in the Indian Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act of 1937. The age at which India's Muslim girl can legally marry, according to this Muslim Personal Law, is 9 years, and can be lower if her guardian (wali) decides she is sexually mature.[70][71] Over the last 25 years, All India Muslim Personal Law Board and other Muslim civil organizations have actively opposed India-wide laws and enforcement action against child marriages; they have argued that Indian Muslim families have a religious right to marry a girl when her age is 15 or even 12.

Gee, 9 years? Now where did we here that magical age before? Perhaps it was the age at which Aisha was married to prophet Mohammad? Can we make an educated guess here? What do you think? No, no, of course not, Islam's influence is minimal here. LOL

In Jewish Ashkenazi communities in the Middle Ages, girls were married off very young.[81] Despite the young threshold for marriage a large age gap between the spouses was opposed,[82] and, in particular, marrying one's young daughter to an old man was declared as reprehensible as forcing her into prostitution.[83] Child marriage was possible in Judaism due to the very low marriageable age for girls. A ketannah (literally meaning "little [one]") was any girl between the age of 3 years and that of 12 years plus one day
Medieval times? pfffft....problem is Muslims are still living in those times, and insist on dragging the rest of the world back there with them. If necessary, by violent means.

The marriagable age, in Judaism, is highly gender-specific. Although boys were regarded, by classical rabbinic literature, as sexual beings once they had reached 9 years of age[2], girls were regarded as sexual beings from the age of just 3. According to the Talmud, it was permissible for an adult male to have sexual intercourse with a 3 year old girl, if she was maritally single
Age of majority in Judaism - Religion-wiki

Medieval times? pfffft....problem is Muslims are still living in those times, and insist on dragging the rest of the world back there with them. If necessary, by violent means.

It's you who keeps referring to to pre-Medieval times, with your quotes on Mohammed PBUH

It's you who keeps referring to to pre-Medieval times, with your quotes on Mohammed PBUH
Nope. You brought up a reference to "Jewish Ashkenazi communities in the Middle Ages". We are talking child marriages TODAY, moron.

That was a pretty lame attempt. Try again, Chos. LOL

The marriagable age, in Judaism, is highly gender-specific. Although boys were regarded, by classical rabbinic literature, as sexual beings once they had reached 9 years of age[2], girls were regarded as sexual beings from the age of just 3. According to the Talmud, it was permissible for an adult male to have sexual intercourse with a 3 year old girl, if she was maritally single
Age of majority in Judaism - Religion-wiki
Nice piece of garbage you posted there. Somehow I must have missed in the list of countries and people that practice child marriage today, there being a reference to Jews and Israel.

<Pssssssssssssss> Sound of a chos (silent fart) escaping from Jos' aka Chos' brain.

Try again. LOL

Nope. You brought up a reference to "Jewish Ashkenazi communities in the Middle Ages". We are talking child marriages TODAY, moron.

That was a pretty lame attempt. Try again, Chos. LOL

If "We are talking child marriages TODAY" why do you keep bringing up Mohamed? (PBUH)