China & Russia essentially give us the bird

Come on, have you been living in a vacuum?

EXCLUSIVE: Snowden reveals more US cyberspying details | South China Morning Post

EXCLUSIVE: Snowden reveals more US cyberspying details
Text messages mined, while servers at Tsinghua University attacked
Sunday, 23 June, 2013, 7:18pm
Lana Lam and Stephen Chen in Beijing

US spies are hacking into Chinese mobile phone companies to steal text messages and attacking the servers at Tsinghua University, Edward Snowden has told the Sunday Morning Post.

The latest explosive revelations about US National Security Agency cybersnooping in Hong Kong and on the mainland are based on further scrutiny and clarification of information Snowden provided on June 12.

The former technician for the US Central Intelligence Agency and contractor for the National Security Agency provided documents revealing attacks on computers over a four-year period.

The documents listed operational details of specific attacks on computers, including internet protocol (IP) addresses, dates of attacks and whether a computer was still being monitored remotely.

The Sunday Morning Post can now reveal Snowden's claims that the NSA is:

Extensive hacking of major telecommunication companies in China to access text messages

Sustained attacks on network backbones at Tsinghua University, China’s premier seat of learning

Hacking of computers at the Hong Kong headquarters of Pacnet, which owns one of the most extensive fibre optic submarine cable networks in the region
Pacnet, which recently signed major deals with the mainland's top mobile phone companies, owns more than 46,000 kilometres of fibre-optic cables. The cables connect its regional data centres across the Asia-Pacific region, including Hong Kong, the mainland, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan. It also has offices in the US.

Snowden claims that data from Chinese mobile phone companies has been compromised, with millions of private text messages mined by the NSA.

Cybersecurity experts on the mainland have long feared mobile phone companies had fallen victim to back-door attacks because they were forced to go overseas to buy core technology for their networks. In recent years, those security concerns became more vocal and as a result domestic network equipment suppliers such as Huawai, Datang and ZTE started to close the technology gap, enabling the phone companies to reduce their reliance on foreign suppliers.

As for the attacks at Tsinghua University, the leaked information points to the NSA hacking into the institute's servers as recently as January.

Tsinghua is widely regarded as China's top education and research institute and carries out extensive work on next-generation web technologies.

It is home to one of the mainland's six major network backbones, the China Education and Research Network.

Here we finally have some of those "details" that depotoo has been talking about.

Regardless, there is still no evidence that he "sold" anything.

Does it really make a difference whether he sold them or used them to get himself safe passage out somewhere else? Or just because he felt like it.

Apparently it does to the people who keep making the accusation that he "sold" this information for his benefit, without evidence.

Here we finally have some of those "details" that depotoo has been talking about.

Regardless, there is still no evidence that he "sold" anything.

Does it really make a difference whether he sold them or used them to get himself safe passage out somewhere else? Or just because he felt like it.

Apparently it does to the people who keep making the accusation that he "sold" this information for his benefit, without evidence.

You totally missed my point.

I give up. You just don't get it that China would give anything to take the place of the US as a world power as would other countries and forcing their form of government onto others.

Why don't you find it disturbing that the government has been keeping track of the American people? And Congress the ones who were elected to protect our rights knew about what was going on?

I give up. You just don't get it that China would give anything to take the place of the US as a world power as would other countries and forcing their form of government onto others.

You mean, like the U.S. does now?

Regardless, this is once again speculation on your part. Though given that the nature of all governments is to take as much power as they can get, I'd say it's a solid analysis. The problem is that their imperial dreams are pretty much irrelevant at the moment.

You totally missed my point.

Did I? Well that's possible. Though you don't seem inclined to explain any better.

Why don't you find it disturbing that the government has been keeping track of the American people? And Congress the ones who were elected to protect our rights knew about what was going on?

I do find it disturbing, but I also find it disturbing that Snowden is obviously willing to share secrets which help keep us safe, whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

I do find it disturbing, but I also find it disturbing that Snowden is obviously willing to share secrets which help keep us safe, whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

Clinton gave China more secrets than what Snowdon did. Snowden just told them what they already knew.

-China and Russia essencially give us the bird.-

Not us but Obama!

In fact the whole world is giving Obama the bird! :clap2:

First of all, I did not like the spying when it was instituted under Bush. I like it no better under President Obama. But when I objected to it under Bush, I was called a traitor and an abettor of terrorists by the very same people that are crying their eyes out now.

Snowden, had he said his peice, then stayed here and faced the consequences, would be considered a hero whistle blower by most. By going to China and Russia and flapping his yap about US surveillance on these nations, he is a traitor. I have zero respect for him.

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort."

Do you consider Russian and China to be our allies? Are we not engaged in a cyber war with China (and maybe Russia too)? Did Snowden give aid (in terms of information) to China and Russian?

So he's not a traitor, given that he has not levied war against the U.S., nor has he given aid or comfort to the enemies of the U.S.

He is not being charged with treason, though what he did is treasonous (any treachery or betrayal).

Why would I read Time? What hate for Obama? You must have me confused for somebody else. I hate the state. Couldn't care less who heads it at any given point in time, or what their political party is.

Really. Then get the fuck out of my country! You hate the state, well I sure hope the NSA is keeping a close on on you and every other citizen who hates America.

Yes, the noise on the "right." That's why Glenn Greenwald, noted progressive, is one of Snowden's biggest supporters and the one who broke all of these stories. Of course your goal is to make Snowden the story, when the real story is the NSA spying on every American's communications illegally.

Your now engaging in dishonest hyperbole, no way can the government collect and examine every phone call, ever e-mail, snail mail or conversation by 300,000,000 + American citizens every day. Read the "Time" article and do a little critical thinking as you head to Russia or China, or Somalia where no 'state' exists.

I think this tweet sums up the situation well:

"Snowden should have fled to a noble & free country like the USA where we hold whistleblowers naked in solitary confinement without trial."

https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/348801442536103936

Ever read the short story, "The man without a country".

Make me.

"Okay, I will", said Wry Catcher, and Kevin Kennedy quivered in his brand new JC Penny Fatigues.

As the sun approached high noon Wry sauntered out of the Long Branch Saloon, the froth from his second beer still damp on his three day old whiskers. Wry adjusted his gun belt and felt the grip of his weapon where seven notices were etched on the pearl handle. The .44 Magnum moved easily in its leather pouch, few had dared to test his skill and all seven had met their maker.

Kevin Kennedy walked slowly out of Widow Brown's Boarding House, armed with a BAR; under his newly pressed and starched JC Penny Fatigues, KK ( as he was called by his co-workers at the Wal-Mart) was slowed for his chosen underwear was a modern form of Chain Mail Armor made for SCUBA Divers for waters known for the Great White Shark.

As Wry and KK began that slow walk toward each other the crowd on both sides of Main Street fell silent, soon enough one man would die at the hand of another. The weight of the armor slowed KK and the heat from the noon time sun cause his sweat to cloud his vision, the salt stung and he became even more myopic than usual.

Suddenly sunlight flashed off metal and thinking Wry had already drawn his .44 KK raised his BAR and blasted a quick burst of hot mail. The weight of the Chain, the heat of the sun and the recoil of this heavy weapon cause KK to fall over backward in the hard pack of Main Street.

As KK lie in the street he knew he hadn't been hit by the .44 and as he struggled to gain his feet the final round of his weapon returned to earth. With the luck of the Irish the round missed his midsection and the Chain protection and landed square on the bridge of his nose.

As KK lay dead on Main Street, Wry turned and slowly walked back to the Long Branch where a cold beer awaited him and it hadn't even cost him one bullet from his .44.

First of all, I did not like the spying when it was instituted under Bush. I like it no better under President Obama. But when I objected to it under Bush, I was called a traitor and an abettor of terrorists by the very same people that are crying their eyes out now.

Snowden, had he said his peice, then stayed here and faced the consequences, would be considered a hero whistle blower by most. By going to China and Russia and flapping his yap about US surveillance on these nations, he is a traitor. I have zero respect for him.

Yes, a hero whistle-blower who would likely be in a similar hole in the ground as Bradley Manning.

-China and Russia essencially give us the bird.-

Not us but Obama!

In fact the whole world is giving Obama the bird! :clap2:

Total bullshit. President Obama remains a far more respected leader internationally than Bush ever was.

That's why China and Russia ignored us because of respect for Obama?

obama isn't respected anywhere in the world.

Blog: Nobody respects Obama

Has ANY of obama's "friends" come out in his support? Anywhere in the world? Anyone in the world? obama has destroyed America's relationship with it's traditional allies. obama respected internationally. That's a joke all by itself.

Putin announced today that they WOULD NOT extradite him because he had broken no laws in Russia.

That is troubling regardless of what you think of the snitch. I thought we had extradition treaty with them? If so this proves just how damaged our relationship is.

Putin announced today that they WOULD NOT extradite him because he had broken no laws in Russia.

That is troubling regardless of what you think of the snitch. I thought we had extradition treaty with them? If so this proves just how damaged our relationship is.

No we don't have an extradition treaty with Russia. We don't have extradition treaties with lots of countries. One of the reasons why Roman Polanski was able to hide out in France is because we don't have an extradition treaty with them either.

Commenting on a U.S. request to extradite him, Putin said that Russia doesn't have an extradition agreement with the U.S. and thus wouldn't meet the U.S. request.

Putin says no to US request to extradite Snowden

obama has been destroying diplomatic relations with Russia for years. This is just an ongoing diplomatic war that obama started with the Magnitsky Act.

The Magnitsky list was compiled by the Obama administration in compliance with the Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act, signed by Obama in December. Sixteen of the former officials on it have been implicated in a $230 million tax fraud that Magnitsky uncovered, in his subsequent arrest or in his death in pretrial detention in 2009.

“The Magnitsky Act will be a permanent serious negative factor in our relations, which should not be underestimated,” Alexei Pushkov, head of the foreign affairs committee of the lower house of parliament, told the Interfax news agency.

Russia retaliates against U.S., bans American officials - Washington Post

When Russia said the Act would be a permanent serious negative factor in relations didn't obama believe them? Did obama think that his blackness would overcome serious negative factors? obama really believes he is king of the world and now that he's being put in his place, he's upset.

There has been speculation in the Russian media that Snowden may be talking to the FSB, the Russian security service, and could be involved in a prisoner swap. Putin said Russian security agencies "never worked with ... Snowden and are not working with him today".

The U.S. State Department said diplomats and Justice Department officials were talking to Russia, suggesting they sought a deal to secure his return to face espionage charges.

"We've asked the Russian government to consider all potential options to expel him to return to the United States, and we're going to continue those discussions in law enforcement and diplomatic channels," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters.

U.S. officials have said intelligence agencies are concerned they do not know how much sensitive material Snowden has and that he may have taken more documents than initially estimated which could get into the hands of foreign intelligence.
Putin rules out handing Snowden over to United States | Reuters

Forum List

Back