Chris Christie

I like Christie, he is everything Obama is not, especially an empty suit.

Which begs the question as to how many suits could you make for Obama out of one of Christie's?

Aside from his weight, being a bully and being completely tone deaf as to how he comes across he has some good points. If the GOP fails to nominate him in 2016 it will be their loss as he is by far the best candidate they currently have.
I like how you libs always encourage us to nominate the squishy rinos who always lose. Good strategy. Dole, McCain, Romney...

Or Reagan or Bush, both barely right of center, but who were infected with neo-imperialism and social traditionalism.

S.J.'s candidates of the reactionary right have not a chance in 2016.

RepublicanInNameOnly, meaning the social traditionalists, neo-cons, and the reactionaries of the far right.

Christie came through for New Jersey in a massive disaster. He states his mind, and devil take the consequences.

I personally would like to see a contest between him and Hillary Clinton. Then I would have two people running for whom I could vote for comfortably on their past records. And the contest would be about what their plans are for the direction of this nation.

I would think a Christie and Clinton election fight would be great for the country.

We could throw off the shibboleths and hatreds of the far left and far right, and move on.

Yeah...I wouldn't be terribly upset with Christie. I think the health thing is overblown. He's fat....deal with it....he's also fairly young...it's not like he's a 65 year old fat guy.

I'm firmly in the Democratic camp, but if Christie would get the nod, I'd call him my President.

My opinion of Locke is based on other posts of his I have read, as well as his adoration of that scumbag neo-con Breitbart. But I love how you assume my political affiliation just because I'm not a political hack like most of the other USMB Republicans.

My first pick in 2012 was Ron Paul. After the GOP rejected him for the neo-con Romney I voted for Gary Johnson. I can't stand Hilary, and if the GOP gave the nomination to Christie or Rand Paul I would easily vote GOP again. The GOP's current problem is that they give us the choices of neo-cons (Romney), or far right nut jobs (Bachmann), and throw any reasonable candidates under the bus.

a Rep/Con would not have classified locke like you did "a Wacko"....but a lefty would of.....i have seen Locke say some pretty moderate things.....just because you might have some pretty Conservative views while still having many moderate ones does not make you a "Right Wing Wacko".....in spite of what you might think....

I never said I was a right wing wacko. I said many on the left may have considered me one based on my past Presidential picks. The wackos on the right are the likes of Michelle (pray the gay away) Bachmann. Rick (fetus sleeper) Santorum, and Andrew (may the Dark Lord welcome him) Breitbart. On the other end the GOP supports dishonest political hacks like Mitt Romney, and then throws them under the bus the moment they lose.
i never said you did.....you said Locke was....

Which begs the question as to how many suits could you make for Obama out of one of Christie's?

Aside from his weight, being a bully and being completely tone deaf as to how he comes across he has some good points. If the GOP fails to nominate him in 2016 it will be their loss as he is by far the best candidate they currently have.
I like how you libs always encourage us to nominate the squishy rinos who always lose. Good strategy. Dole, McCain, Romney...

Well we like how you always listen to us and nominate the squishy rinos who always lose.

It's a good strategy if it works.

Yeah...I wouldn't be terribly upset with Christie. I think the health thing is overblown. He's fat....deal with it....he's also fairly young...it's not like he's a 65 year old fat guy.

I'm firmly in the Democratic camp, but if Christie would get the nod, I'd call him my President.

Aside from being a jerk personally and the fact that he hates poor people so much, he's really a Democrat's best friend:

NJ Gov Chris Christie: The good and the bad | NJ.com

10 REASONS TO LIKE HIM

1) Big issues: Christie has confronted the state’s largest problems — reforming pension and health care, passing a cap on property taxes and leveling the binding arbitration playing field.

2) He’s practical: Although he talks tough and enjoys partisan banter, when it has come to crucial legislation (the three mentioned above, for instance), he has made concessions to get a deal.

3) Education reform: In order to make needed changes, Christie had to take on the powerful New Jersey Education Association. At times,
his tone was troubling, but the union is now on the defensive on tenure reform, merit pay and school choice.

4) Tea party smackdown: When far-right-wingers criticized him for appointing a Muslim to the state Superior Court, Christie did what few Republicans have done: He dismissed them as "crazies."

5) Global warming: He’s a rare Republican who believes in the science (although he did waver).

6) Wait, there’s more sanity: He also breaks from most Republicans on gun control (he’s for it because of the state’s inner-city carnage) and immigration (he has said he supports a path to legalization).

7) He’s clean: Two years into office, there have been no major corruption scandals in his administration. That’s pretty good for New Jersey.

8) Higher education: Christie says if he had the money, this would be the first place he’d use it. (If he’s still in office when the economy heals, we’ll find out if he’s being truthful.)

9) Hurricane aid: When congressional conservatives moved to hold up disaster aid unless they were awarded corresponding budget cuts, Christie told them to back off New Jersey’s dough.

10) Bruuuuce: Although he’s not a fan of the Boss’ politics — "Bruce believes that we should be raising taxes all the time on everyone" — Christie is a fan of his music. (But we’re begging: No more singing, Gov!)

What are your thoughts on him?

If he or Jeb Bush wins the Republican nomination, it'll guarantee a Hillary Clinton presidency. Actually, it wouldn't matter who wins the Democrat nomination, Christie or Bush would guarantee the Democrats a third straight presidential term.

With all that has been said in attacking this point, no one has really asked why you say this. I am interested as I don’t think that Christie has alienated his base except for those that will vote R no matter what because they are afraid of anyone that has a D. What makes you think that he is an automatic fail?

My opinion of Locke is based on other posts of his I have read, as well as his adoration of that scumbag neo-con Breitbart. But I love how you assume my political affiliation just because I'm not a political hack like most of the other USMB Republicans.

I would assume that you were a hack simply because you opened with a baseless (as far as anyone here could tell) attack that had zero substance but was burgeoning with insult. I doubt that the assumption was because you were not like ‘other hacks’ here. It was likely assumed because you were acting like a hack.

I like Christie. He seems to be unafraid to speak his mind and challenge the practices he sees as wrong or damaging; I think he truly cares about the people of New Jersey.

I think much ado about nothing has been made of his "affair with Obama" after the disaster that struck the NE states. The government gives disaster relief to every other state, why should New Jersey be any different? I think what we saw was a governor faced with a massive disaster, a tremendous responsibility for the lives and safety of his citizens, and an emotional care for his state tempered with being clear-headed to make major decisions in a number of arenas.

Maybe what we witnessed could be equated with a family whose house had burned down, in shock and distress ... and along comes a neighbor with some blankets and food. Reaction: instant emotional relief. And that's when the family knows it WILL survive this disaster - that one act has given them strength.

Christie is probably one of our more sincere politicians.
This is true. I can’t stand the republicans smearing him because he worked with Obama. He is a governor, not a Republican Party chair or other partisan non-governmental position. When you are in office you work with those around you. Shunning them because they have different political goals or ideals is part of the problem that we face today. There is nothing wrong with appearing with the president, praising him for what you like about his actions or working with him. All of that is a positive for Christie, not a negative.
Christie is an effective leader. Willing to cross the aisle to reach bipartisan decisions. Straight shooter who takes no crap. Gets things done. Can be quite funny. He had surgery and is losing quite a bit of weight

On the negative: He is a bully. Can't let any insult go unchallenged. He is often rude and says things in the heat of battle that shouldn't be said
I actually like that about his ‘negatives.’ I think that he is amazingly straight forward and if there is something that is said that is uncouth or abrasive, at least you are not left there wondering what he thinks or stands for. He might actually bring what Obama promised, an open and transparent presidency. I desperately want that.
I can't think of anyone on the left or right who has a chance of bringing such a politically divided country together...Christie might stand a chance of bridging that gap at least a little bit.

And another good point going for him. We need a little less vitriol between the parties.

I like Christie but I do not fully know his voting record. As a governor of a state I do not live in, I have not followed him closely enough to give him my vote at this moment BUT what I do know of him I like. I prefer a candidate that is not going to be a political hack for the party, is fiscally conservative and mostly ignores social issues and is going to tell things as they are instead of what a bunch of people want to hear. I know, impossible but so far, Christie at least sounds like he is close to that.

Of course, I might feel differently if he runs and I look deeper into his record.

aaronleland belligerently bloviated:

You are living in another reality. America rejected the far right ideologues of the Republican party. Republicans rejected the far right ideologues. Nut jobs posting on message boards do not represent America or the Republican party in general. This is why Romney had to pander to nut jobs when running for the Republican nomination, yet saw his poll numbers rise after leaning back towards the middle in the general election. However loud you are, people like you and the other far right USMB whackos are a minority.

I find it ironic you assume my political affiliation, yet you take offense at what you perceive to be Harry Dresden assuming yours. I'm not Republican, you should know I am Libertarian since you have read my posts. I've mentioned it more than once. You claim you are not a political hack. Well, I guess as long as you believe that, that's all that matters.

Breitbart, only a left-wing moonbat would hate him. Moderates to right-wingers would have no reason to hate him. My guess is you're still pissed at him for exposing the Democrat voter fraud machine ACORN, and his uncovering many other scandals by the left that the media wouldn't cover.

My first pick in 2012 was Ron Paul. After the GOP rejected him for the neo-con Romney I voted for Gary Johnson. I can't stand Hilary, and if the GOP gave the nomination to Christie or Rand Paul I would easily vote GOP again.

Judging by your rhetoric, I highly doubt you ever supported Ron Paul. I think him and Rand are outstanding and I would vote for Rand in a heartbeat for president. I am a limited government type of person, so are they. Chris Christie, pffffff.....no way would I vote for him. I am not so sure why you dislike Hillary so much. You like Chris Christie, who is very busy getting on his knee pads for Barack Obama.

I will conclude this by saying this. I am glad you are here at this present time, calling me the names you have called me, making the comical assertions you have made. I am glad you are here at this time allowing me to draw your ire with my words and opinions. Why am I saying this? Because if my words and opinions get you to react in the manner you did in this thread, if you were around at the time of our Founding Fathers, I can't even begin to imagine the hateful and maniacal names and rhetoric you would have directed towards them...I mean seriously, they used guns...I am only using words.

Last edited:

Another reason not to vote for him.

The Dems nominate squishy DINOs who sometimes lose too but mostly they win because they understand that pandering to the extreme fringe of their party is a sure fire way to lose an election. Dole, Romney and McCain found that out the hard way. Christie is smart enough to know that he needs the extreme Tea Party nutters if he wants the nomination but then he is going to swing back to the center because that is the only way he can actually win the election. Ignoring the extreme base is the smart move for both sides because they will always vote in lockstep along party lines regardless of who the candidate might be. Romney and McCain couldn't even find the center and when they occasionally stumbled across it they didn't know how to connect with the voters in the middle because all of their talking points were geared towards pandering to the loony right fringe.

If Republicans want to start winning they need to figure out who the independents are and what are they looking for in a candidate. Since more then 50% of them are women it makes no sense to alienate them with ignorant nonsense about "legitimate rape". Another huge sector is Latinos. Demanding that they "self deport" is a sure fire way to drive them away. Likewise treating all Blacks as though they are on welfare just makes you look like ignorant bigots. Antagonizing the LBGT community by passing legislation that essentially marginalizes them costs you not only their votes but the votes of their families and friends too.

So yes, you do need to nominate "squishy RINOs" but at least try and find one with enough brains to know who is going to be voting and why. That way you might stand a chance. If you nominate Paul Ryan or any of the other whackjobs you can kiss the whole 2016 election goodbye. If you nominate Christie you stand a fighting chance.

As a NJ resident I can tell you he is your typical corrupt politician.

He awarded a overpriced contract for Sandy cleanup to the politically connected AshBritt inc who then proceeded to pad their bills by using longer routes to the Ocean County landfill to charge a higher rate. The company charges $21.25 per cubic yard for debris driven 15 miles or less and $30 per cubic yard for waste driven 16 to 30 miles. The Bergen Record found hundreds of instances where the number of miles AshBritt’s subcontractors said they drove was longer than the distance estimated by Google Maps or recorded by a reporter who drove the shortest available route. The difference between the two mileage tiers amount to $235 for a filled truck carrying 25 tons of debris. That added up to $512,000 over two months for the trips in question to the Ocean County Landfill.

He had his wife set up a Sandy relief fund that was supposed to help rebuild houses that were totaled in the storm. She collected over 36 million and spent 1.2 million rebuilding 11 homes in Union Beach, which lost 200 homes. She spent 25 million on a TV campaign featuring her hubby in a campaign year promoting coming to the shore this summer. That 25 million could have rebuilt all 200 homes destroyed in Union Beach. Christie turned Sandy relief into a campaign slush fund.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/arti...304020011/True-costs-AshBritt-deal-could-grow

Gov. Chris Christie says a lot of the right things about how government should be run efficiently and responsibly.

But, like most any other politician, he doesn't always lead by example.

The governor has, for instance, railed against New Jersey's plentiful authorities and agencies that past administrations have turned into patronage pits. Yet he's been more than willing to push people with minimal credentials into jobs at the Port Authority, arguing among other things that because he had already gotten rid of so many more unqualified people there that it's all good. Well, no, it isn't.

The stench of the AshBritt debris removal deal also isn't going away. After superstorm Sandy ripped through the state, Christie quickly signed on with AshBritt, "piggybacking" onto a Connecticut contract with the same company, which is another way of saying that New Jersey simply adopted the Connecticut deal without bothering to negotiate one of its own.

It was a no-bid operation, in other words, the kind Christie in the past has often found so offensive. The administration spin is that since the deal was the product of competitive bidding in Connecticut, that was good enough. The state was also operating with a sense of great urgency given the overwhelming storm damage, suggesting speed was of the essence.

But was it that important to get a deal in place that quickly? Several Shore towns chose to bypass AshBritt and strike separate deals on their own, reportedly at lower costs and without any great concerns about inferior work or delays. It also doesn't help that Christie is friendly with former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who advised Christie to sign up AshBritt because of that company's work along the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina. Barbour, however, just happens to be the founding partner of a lobbying firm that represents AshBritt. The chairman of that firm held a fund-raiser for Christie's re-election in Virginia in February. Christie would frown on such cozy relationships if they involved other lawmakers and businesses.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back