Church Attendance Declining

Public schools, unions.
The Media.
Leftists.

Evil.

Numerous religious denominations have approved meeting at home

And then libs will complain about traffic and parking and noise on a residential street. If the local Snake Handler congregation has one of the serpents escape and they are meeting next door, tell me if you won't have a conniption.

Threatened for going to church? I don’t know. How many?
Really? You have not heard for the past year churches not allowed to hold sessions because of Covid restrictions? People were already not feeling safe with violence on the streets and negative press given churches anyway from atheists, killings, and being lumped in with Trump. Many forced home for a year because of covid are finding it easier to stay home.

Masks have nothing to do with dropping attendance prior to last year.
Sure they do if you are barred from worshiping for not wearing one.
Certainly, COVID has accelerated the decline in recent months. No doubt this effect on church attendance was one reason leftwingers were so giddy about shutting down our economy.

I think attendance has fallen off since the 1970s with the rise of focus on the rapture, futurism and Scofield's dogma.
Certainly the bizarre teachings that the church has adopted in the last two hundred years has also been deleterious to church attendance. How many generations must pass before people tire of their expectations of a man riding in on a cloud to levitate the church?

Christians knew that a great apostasy would occur in the end days. A lot of really BAD things are coming to this world.

LOLOL.. The "end days" are apostasy.

Look who the players were.

The Rise of Fundamentalism in America
law2.umkc.edu/faculty/PROJECTS/FTRIALS/CONLAW/Fundamentalism.html
Riley invented the label “fundamentalist” and became the prime mover in the movement that took that name. Riley, in May 1919, brought together in Philadelphia 6,000 conservative Christians for the first

Didn't you say that you're a Christian?

Yes I am.. Old school. I am NOT a fundamentalist .. I don't follow the futurists or Scofield.

People used to have to go to church to hear a preacher teaching the word of God. The internet made that unnecessary.

I am NOT a fundamentalist .. I don't follow the futurists or Scofield.

I believe there are bible verses about one-time Christians abandoning the faith. Are you aware of those verses?

What do Christians think about this? Why is your religion dwindling away?

The biggest reason for the fall is the fact that modern religious denominations have decided to abandon families and pursue homosexuals and trannies for membership.

Look at the Religious Left, they were doing Gay Marriage long before the Supreme Court decision.

The problem was that after the pastors told families to "beat it", the LGBTQ that they were seeking never filled the pews, and never gave sacrificially to support the churches.

Basically, Organized Religion followed the footsteps of the Dixie Chicks. At the insistence of the left, they told conservatives to get lost. And then the left threw them under the bus.

I went to church for my entire childhood. It was the busybody hypocritical judgemental church ladies that made me drop out. Nasty gossipy bitches just use the bible as a blunt object to hit people over the head. Churches are full of these miserable creatures anymore who make faith look like a horrible chore.
Well, it beats saying that it's Trump's fault I reckon.

LMAO!!
I've seen commentators completely puzzled by Christians being so enamored of such a flawed amoral blob but he's a total self righteous hypocrite too. He understands them in a way no actual moral person ever could.
See, I knew you would agree that it's all Trump's fault.

So as you are standing before God giving an account of your life, just remember to blame Trump and the old women for all your problems.

Kay?

The anti-evolution campaign of the 1920s might never have happened without the leadership of an austere, upright Baptist minister in Minneapolis, William B. Riley. In a state far north of the Bible Belt and short on Baptists, Kentucky-born Riley built a 3,000-member downtown congregation based and emerged as the dominant figure in American fundamentalism. But before getting to his story, two other prominent ministers who refused to jump on the modern bandwagon, and can be said to have planted the seed that grew into Riley’s fundamentalist movement need to be mentioned.

The first is John Nelson Darby, founder of the Plymouth Brethren Movement. Darby insisted biblical prophesies provided “a sure guide to human history—past, present, and future.” (GE, 27) After having founded the movement three decades earlier in England, Darby traveled across the Atlantic six times between 1859 and 1874 to spread his doctrine of biblical inerrancy and the imminent return of Christ to establish the millennial kingdom. Everywhere he went, and in his fifty-three volumes of writings, Darby broadcast his message that the Bible represented the inspired, authoritative, faithfully transmitted, and infallible word of God. If “the word of God alone remained as an invisible thread over the abyss,” Darby declared, “my soul would trust in it.”

continued

Speaking as a Catholic, It’s no secret the sexual abuse scandals have hurt church attendance. I understand why people would cease going, but I also get those who still have their faith regardless of the institution involved.

90% of Christians have not read the whole Bible.

Excerpt:

By the late 1920s, the first three points had become central to Fundamentalism. Thanks to sponsorship, over three million volumes were distributed free to clergy, laymen, missionaries, and libraries. The leaders of the movement founded the World's Christian Fundamentals
Association in 1919. The term "fundamentalism" was coined by Baptist editor Curtis Lee Laws in 1920 to designate Christians who were ready "to do battle royal for the fundamentals."

Much of the enthusiasm for mobilizing Fundamentalism came from Bible colleges, especially those modeled after the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.

The Bible colleges prepared ministers who lacked college or seminary experience with intense study of the Bible, often using the Scofield Reference Bible of 1909, which had detailed notes explaining how to interpret Dispensationalist passages.

The movement is associated with the 1925 Scopes Trial, which concerned the issue of evolution. It suffered a decline in the 1930s, but revived in the late 1940s.

Look at how Christians have to thought of a few Christian topics in this country:

- Abortion
-Gay rights
- “God” on our currency
- Saying “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”
- I’m sure there are others but I thought of these first.
You bring up a good point. Perhaps the problem is not secular America embracing all of the above, people see their fellow Christians embracing the same. For Catholics, we can divorce to the list. The words "disciple" and "discipline" come from the same root. Disciples of Christ should be following the disciplines of Christ. Divorce, abortion, loose sexual mores, nodding at Christ being removed from a Christian holiday, etc. are not Christian disciplines. If we re not following these disciplines, gathering in fellowship to worship is meaningless. Those not following the disciplines will be uncomfortable around those who do; those following the disciplines are going to feel hypocritical for not standing up and promoting the disciplines of Christ, insisting true discipleship comes with responsibilities. As Jesus pointed out, one cannot serve two Masters without coming to hate one of them. We have got to choose--secular or faith.

I mentioned earlier that Church attendance falling to the 25% remnant may not be all bad. We would then be a core group who actually stands for the beliefs and disciplines of our faith. Those who have been trying to serve two masters, who have been trying to go along to get along no longer weaken the whole.

Forum List

Back