Church denies funeral to gay man

Sorry Billy, I didn't know you and Jake shared a brain. :D but now I do.

However if Jesus preached that, then Jake is really in the wrong isn't he? Thanks Billy.
Nobody knows what jesus preached because nothing was written down in his lifetime.

The gnosis did not need to be written down, it was put into practise by disciples and handed down as a way of life.

The bible is full of direct quotes from Jesus, which of course is bs.

Ulysses, you can't put Jesus behind a fence. Biblical literalism is idolatry, much as the Koran is the symbol of such for Islam.

Anyone who has opened the Bible and studied, read, and prayed about it realizes that to allow others to define what it all means is to allow others, not God, to rule one's life.

Literalism, is what the text means according to the people who wrote it.

The alternative is to view it figuratively, which means that you assign whatever meaning you want, through your own interpretation.

In other words, view the Bible as a figurative interpretative text, is to allow others to define what is all means, which is to allow others, not G-d, to rule one's life.

Again, in any other situation, you would never question this.

On this forum, we have rules.

No Direct or implied threats of violence/harm towards another member, or members family and/or threats with the intent of interfering in or disrupting a member's life.

"Forum rule literalism is idolatry.

Anyone who has studied, read, and prayed about the forum rules, realizes that to allow others to literally define what it all means is to allow others, not Forum owners, to rule one's life........."

Really? Ok, try it here.... Interpret that rule figuratively, and post a direct or implied threat, and we'll ask a forum moderate what is view is of it. Or even the owner of the forum, and find out if he meant that rule literally.

Again, in any real situation, you would never suggest what you posted here.

Getting back to the funeral, I think that it would have been appropriate to have the funeral elsewhere, cremate the body, and then have an airplane drop the ashes on the church that refused to do the funeral.

One of the most false statements in years on the Board: ". . .view the Bible as a figurative interpretative text, is to allow others to define what is all means, which is to allow others, not G-d, to rule one's life".

Jesus, of course, wants his followers to interact and define with Him their joint relationship. A church, a book, other people, etc., are merely agents for someone to grab your wallet when it comes to religion.

One of the most false statements in years on the Board: ". . .view the Bible as a figurative interpretative text, is to allow others to define what is all means, which is to allow others, not G-d, to rule one's life".

Jesus, of course, wants his followers to interact and define with Him their joint relationship. A church, a book, other people, etc., are merely agents for someone to grab your wallet when it comes to religion.

So you are saying Jesus is whatever you want him to be. Correct?

Getting back to the funeral, I think that it would have been appropriate to have the funeral elsewhere, cremate the body, and then have an airplane drop the ashes on the church that refused to do the funeral.

What would the point of that be? If that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. Why would the church even care, if you dumped some ash into the air, high enough in the sky that no one would notice anyway?

The people who live in the homes around our church, some of them smoke, and I can smell the smoke from the parking lot. Why would I care? What difference does that make? Strangest ideas from you lately. But hey, go for it. If that floats your boat, by all means.

Really. So, when you make up whatever the Bible means, through your figurative interpretive views.... that's G-d defining it? So... you're g-d? Jesus wants *you* to 'define with Him, your relationship'? So you define your own relationship?

Wow... ok. Mr. g-d sir. You go right ahead and do that. I'm moving on.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't know how to see his comments as meaning anything other than that. I have to assume that he is the 'definer' of his own faith. Of course since he views all text as non-literal, who knows how he interprets his own words.

What would the point of that be? If that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. Why would the church even care, if you dumped some ash into the air, high enough in the sky that no one would notice anyway?

The people who live in the homes around our church, some of them smoke, and I can smell the smoke from the parking lot. Why would I care? What difference does that make? Strangest ideas from you lately. But hey, go for it. If that floats your boat, by all means.

You are correct. They should not care. However, I suspect that this church WOULD care...and that would be the point.

You are correct. They should not care. However, I suspect that this church WOULD care...and that would be the point.

Really? Well I don't know. My church sure wouldn't. As long as we don't violate our faith, meaning we wouldn't conduct a funeral for this guy either, you can do whatever you want.

You just can't force US to do something against our faith. What you do, is your business. You want fly around and drop ashes on people... the city will have more of an issue with that, than we will.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't know how to see his comments as meaning anything other than that. I have to assume that he is the 'definer' of his own faith. Of course since he views all text as non-literal, who knows how he interprets his own words.

So you both fail to trust the literal Jesus and His spirit to guide you in a relationship with Him.

I am saying that you sillies need to trust Jesus in relationship with you, not a book. Why are you so afraid of Him?

Last edited:
TAMPA, FL (WFLA) - Julie Atwood was standing at her son's casket when the phone rang. The church where her son's funeral was scheduled to be held the next day decided to abruptly cancel the service, after the pastor learned the deceased was gay and his obituary listed a surviving "husband."

Atwood said she was told it would be "blasphemous" to hold the services at the church because her son, Julion Evans, 42, was gay.

He says the obituary named him as "husband," and that their marriage was no secret.

But when the obituary published in the local newspaper, everything changed.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says was not aware of that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obit and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

Jenkins said his church preaches against gay marriage.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."

Church denies funeral to gay man - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

I hate religion to be honest. Music is my religion.

But I'm going to say something for the sake of argument.
Jesus didn't turn away from someone because he or she was homosexual.
Jesus walked among the sinners and loved everyone.

Jesus Loves Homosexuals | For His Glory
Homosexuals are loved by God and get saved just like anyone else.
Jesus Loves the Gays, This I Know ? A Deeper Story
Jesus loves homosexuals - May Daily
http://relijournal.com/christianity/jesus-loves-homosexuals/
Jesus Loves Heterosexuals?and Homosexuals Too! | The Sharp End

So you both fail to trust the literal Jesus and His spirit to guide you in a relationship with Him.

I am saying that you sillies need to trust Jesus in relationship with you, not a book. Why are you so afraid of Him?

Just curious, how do you know who Jesus is, without the Book? What he stood for? Or anything else about the Man? Did He appear to you, like He did Joseph Smith? Or are you just guessing?

Just curious, how do you know who Jesus is, without the Book? What he stood for? Or anything else about the Man? Did He appear to you, like He did Joseph Smith? Or are you just guessing?

Who said "without the Book"? Only you.

The Bible is a worthy, if worldly, guide for the soul. By learning who the Christ is with you is the way to peace and content. I know for myself. I don't believe two beings appeared to JS, for he wrote seven progressive descriptions of the event, from a beginning narrative like the blinding light of Paul on the road to Damascus to one of the God the Father and Jesus Christ, God the Son.

So let's read what Jesus said.

“Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs that look beautiful on the outside but inside are full of the bones of the dead and of everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you look righteous to people, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

“Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. And you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have participated with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ By saying this you testify against yourselves that you are descendants of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up then the measure of your ancestors! You snakes, you offspring of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Who are the Pharisees? These are the people who claimed to be part of G-d family. These are the Christians of their day.

Why was Jesus so angry with them, but not with other clear sinners? Because these Christians claimed to be without sin. They were hypocrites. They taught the law, but didn't actually follow it themselves. They were saying "we're the Christians, and how we live isn't wrong!".

So we have a guy who is going to church, saying he's a Christian, and yet living in a way completely contrary to Christian belief.

Based on how Jesus treated the 'christian' hypocrites of his day, you really think he would treat this man today differently? Based on what?

One, the Pharisees were the leaders of the Jewish people along with the Sadducees.

Two, they are similar to the Androws, JimBowies, and Ullyseses of our day. So when it is written "Because these Christians claimed to be without sin. They were hypocrites. They taught the law, but didn't actually follow it themselves. They were saying "we're the Christians, and how we live isn't wrong!". So we have a guy who is going to church, saying he's a Christian, and yet living in a way completely contrary to Christian belief."

Jesus, indeed, verily, was speaking to the Androws and the Ullyseses and the JimBowies of His day.

TAMPA, FL (WFLA) - Julie Atwood was standing at her son's casket when the phone rang. The church where her son's funeral was scheduled to be held the next day decided to abruptly cancel the service, after the pastor learned the deceased was gay and his obituary listed a surviving "husband."

Atwood said she was told it would be "blasphemous" to hold the services at the church because her son, Julion Evans, 42, was gay.

He says the obituary named him as "husband," and that their marriage was no secret.

But when the obituary published in the local newspaper, everything changed.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says was not aware of that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obit and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

Jenkins said his church preaches against gay marriage.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."

Church denies funeral to gay man - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Jesus Loves Homosexuals | For His Glory
Homosexuals are loved by God and get saved just like anyone else.
Jesus Loves the Gays, This I Know ? A Deeper Story
Jesus loves homosexuals - May Daily
Jesus Loves Homosexuals | Relijournal
Jesus Loves Heterosexuals?and Homosexuals Too! | The Sharp End

Most all Christians already know that Jesus loves homosexuals, and everyone else too. I am sure not debating that. I was a drunk and He loved me, I was a womanizer and He loved me, I was a liar and He loved me.

Thing is, I changed because I figured out that Jesus loved me. Everything that I was doing, Jesus did NOT love. He just loved me, not my ways. But I never once thought about going into a church and proclaiming that I am a womanizer and a drunk and a liar, and I am not willing to change my ways, but I want to be a part of your church.

I am not the man I should be, but thank God, I am not the man I used to be.

Forum List

Back