🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Clarence Thomas and Affirmative Action

You must be mistaking me for a republican 'conservative'. I am a Liberal and I believe in the free and open exchange of ideas and opinions.

is the question to tough for you? :eusa_eh:

just say so....

I answered the question, it's in bold above. I'll answer it in simple terms; Thomas has a right to voice his opinion just like the people who support or oppose him and his ideas have that same right to voice their opinions.

are you at all familiar with say, Michele Obamas ruminations on AA in this context?

Blacks are much better off since the 1960s - but the struggle for equality is far from over.

Yeah...

It's not like a black man or woman has ever been President or CEO of a Company, had stars on their shoulders, had millions of fans, made millions of dollars, been elected to Governorships, State legislative bodies, Congress, or even the Presidency.

Right?

That proves it has become better, not that the struggle is over.

so when is the struggle over? theres no place to go from here, President etc. is all there is....

When women represent the majority of the work force but still get paid less than men. That means the struggle is not over.
Gotta love white men complaining how unfair it is.

When women work in exactly the same percentage of each job, working exactly the same number of hours each week/month/year with exactly the same amount of time away from the work place as men, then you may have a point.

But as long as women work in lesser paying jobs, wanting to work less hours each day, week, month, year, and want more time away from the work place, it is not unreasonable to expect to see that women, in general, make less than men do.

Not to mention doing the really dangerous jobs that are dominated by men.

Who's to say that he wouldn't be on the court without it? You're saying he was picked because of the color of his skin???

Damn

Read his quotes on it back then. I am starting to see a narrative from some 'conservatives' ; "If he's a 'conservative' and he agrees with us, we will give him a pass on receiving the affirmative action we so despise.". :lol:

I don't give two shits as long as they're not hired based on race. :eusa_hand:

When women represent the majority of the work force but still get paid less than men. That means the struggle is not over.
Gotta love white men complaining how unfair it is.

When women work in exactly the same percentage of each job, working exactly the same number of hours each week/month/year with exactly the same amount of time away from the work place as men, then you may have a point.

But as long as women work in lesser paying jobs, wanting to work less hours each day, week, month, year, and want more time away from the work place, it is not unreasonable to expect to see that women, in general, make less than men do.

I work in a field dominated by women. I have been punched in the face, bit, kicked in the stomach while pregnant Etc..
My field is the 2nd most dangerous job in Washington state with only fisherman ranked higher. You were saying?
And we get paid crap.

I work in a field dominated by women. I have been punched in the face, bit, kicked in the stomach while pregnant Etc..
My field is the 2nd most dangerous job in Washington state with only fisherman ranked higher. You were saying?
And we get paid crap.

so the men that do your job get paid more than you do all other things being equal? :eusa_eh:

Did you not read the article or his opinion on affirmative action?
She isn't blaming him, she is pointing out his hypocrisy.

No, she is pointing out the lies that make it look like he is a hypocrite.

There is no evidence that Thomas ever said the quotes attributed to him outside the progressive blogoshere. By the way, both of the quotes allegedly came from a single speech.

During the time he was the head of the EEOC he was routinely vilified by black leaders because he moved the agency from concentrating on class actions suits to pursuing individual cases of discrimination. He also criticized them for complaining about the destruction of the race instead of working with Reagan to alleviate teenage pregnancy, unemployment, and illiteracy.

He is also famous for consistently opposing affirmative action because he earned his place at Yale, and people thought he only got there because of his skin color.

That makes her a dupe, or a liar, just like you.

So an article from 1995 is suddenly part of the "progressive blogosphere"? :lol:
JeffCohen.org Media Beat Clarence Thomas: Affirmative Action Success Story

I said the quotes from the EEOC speech he allegedly gave do not exist outside the progressive blogosphere, and you post a progressive blog from 1995 to refute me? Wouldn't it make more sense to post a link to the actual speech, or at least the text of said speech? Or does it not exist?

Who's to say that he wouldn't be on the court without it? You're saying he was picked because of the color of his skin???

Damn

Read his quotes on it back then. I am starting to see a narrative from some 'conservatives' ; "If he's a 'conservative' and he agrees with us, we will give him a pass on receiving the affirmative action we so despise.". :lol:

They are not quotes, they are made up.

And we get paid crap.

so the men that do your job get paid more than you do all other things being equal? :eusa_eh:

Actually yes. I can't go into it on the public board, but yes.

your strawman is burning...:rolleyes:

What hypothetical "strawman" is burning? His own words? His hypocrisy on the issue? What?

so, your 'point' is, he what;

-took advantage of it then spoke against?

-took advantage of it, said he favored it then spoke against it?

-???

and the strawman refers to "the affirmative action we so despise", maybe in your mind there is some QED here, but I don't see it....

I just find it hypocritical for him to condemn a program that helped open door for him so he would be able to succeed on his own merits. This was at a time when large segments of the White society and businesses were not open to having Black people in middle and top management positions professional positions.

And we get paid crap.

Washington is seriously fucked up if nurse's aide is the most violent job in the state.

is the question to tough for you? :eusa_eh:

just say so....

I answered the question, it's in bold above. I'll answer it in simple terms; Thomas has a right to voice his opinion just like the people who support or oppose him and his ideas have that same right to voice their opinions.

are you at all familiar with say, Michele Obamas ruminations on AA in this context?

I'm not sure, maybe you can give me a quote that demonstrates what you are referring to?

And we get paid crap.

Washington is seriously fucked up if nurse's aide is the most violent job in the state.

Have you ever worked in the field?
Some really have no clue what it is like to take care of the mentally ill.

Forum List

Back