CNN Anchor: ‘Our Rights Do Not Come From God’

And this is the part of it I don't understand. Keyes has had this argument repeatedly. He's always lost, abandoning the threads with some random declaration of the infallibility of his own beliefs.

What's the point? Why not just start with that declaration and save yourself 60 pages.

On the other hand Nature, doesn't value humans at all. Now you know.

total idiot liberal. If nature didn't value human beings at all why did it make human beings thrive far beyond any other species and endow them with the intelligence to understand more and more of the universe?

...The Fascist State organizes the nation, but leaves a sufficient margin of liberty to the individual; the latter is deprived of all useless and possibly harmful freedom, but retains what is essential; the deciding power in this question cannot be the individual, but the State alone....

Benito Mussolini

or Barak Obama. Who believed in a bigger state.

. We create rights..

either you're smarter than Jefferson and Locke or too stupid to understand what they were talking about. Which do you think it is?
It's simply a different belief. The question of where rights originate is philosophical, but the reality is that until society decides on guaranteeing or granting a right, it cannot be exercised. I happen to believe that natural rights, being a relatively new social concept that continues to evolve, are simply man-made rights with a fancy label.

If i believe it's my natural, god-given right to strut around town naked, that doesn't matter because other people will not allow it. I dont have the right, until others recognize it.

. We create rights..

either you're smarter than Jefferson and Locke or too stupid to understand what they were talking about. Which do you think it is?

I don't give a fuck what Jefferson or Locke thought. Rights exist as long as we define and protect them. The moment we don't, they don't exist.

As demonstrated by overwhelming majority of our recorded history in which these rights hadn't been defined or protected. And didn't exist.

Where_r_my_Keys

So Buffalo Bill has you in his pit - what rights do you have, other than to put the lotion on its skin? (and maybe an autotrader)

Edit: Ok I understand what you were asking. 'IF I'm in the pit of the psychopath... what rights do I have?' I didn't initially quite see where you were coming from ... .

I have the right to do any thing I need to do which toward the fulfillment of my life... and the responsibility to not exercise any of that, where such would infringe upon another's right to do the same for them self.

In that pit, however, I have no means to exercise my rights, as the illicit use of power has prohibited such, at which time, it becomes my duty to destroy that power. Which I will do by whatever means is necessary, or attempt to do, to the last moment of consciousness... and where I should perish, I will depart this life, with my rights fully intact. And a chunk of that douche-bags face, in my mouth.

The distinction being that a person who 'believes' that they're rights are whatever the present power says they are, would merely rub in the lotion and hope that the LGBT advocate will be nice and let 'em go or load up the basket with an iPad, some pot and a bag of Doritos.

Please understand, that while this is incredibly simple stuff, it probably falls well beyond the means of the intellectually less fortunate, to grasp.

So,don't feel bad, as in all likelihood, there was no way you cold have known that... .

Last edited:
. We create rights..

It's simply a different belief. The question of where rights originate is philosophical, but the reality is that until society decides on guaranteeing or granting a right, it cannot be exercised. I happen to believe that natural rights, being a relatively new social concept that continues to evolve, are simply man-made rights with a fancy label.

Exactly. Any time you want to put one belief system above another, you need a reason. Something qualitative that puts one belief above another. And there's little better than fancy labels that appeal to authority.

Thus, its not your opinion vs. another schmo's opinion. Its 'nature' vs. another schmo's opinion. Or 'God'. Or 'natural rights'. Or 'Crom'. Or whatever leviathan you wish to cite. As long as you can convince the other guy that you speak for the 'authority', you win!

Its still just opinion. But the appeal to authority offers a justification for why its qualitatively better than anyone else's.

Where_r_my_Keys

So Buffalo Bill has you in his pit - what rights do you have, other than to put the lotion on its skin? (and maybe an autotrader)

I have the right to do any thing I need to do which toward the fulfillment of my life... and the responsibility to not exercise any of that, where such would infringe upon another's right to do the same for them self.

Says you. We have laws that may conflict with what you believe your 'fulfillment' means. Your subjective beliefs don't change that.

Please understand, that while this is incredibly simple stuff, it probably falls well beyond the means of the intellectually less fortunate, to grasp.

Tell us that after you get past your fallacy that your personal opinion is objective truth. That giggle fest is the anthem of the 'intellectually less fortunate'.

. We create rights..

It's simply a different belief. The question of where rights originate is philosophical, but the reality is that until society decides on guaranteeing or granting a right, it cannot be exercised.

Absolute nonsense. I do not ask anyone for permission to exercise so much as a single one of my rights... never have and never will. I do not ask if 'it's legal', as whatever it is, is my right. And, in every circumstance, I am fastidiously careful to never exercise my rights to the detriment of another to exercise their own.

And for 54 years, there's never been a problem. But odds are a fair percentage of that success is due to divine providence, which only goes to demonstrate the supreme authority on which those rights and the exercise thereof, rests.

Understand scamp... absent God, there is no potential for such a thing as a human right.

Where_r_my_Keys

So,don't feel bad, as in all likelihood, there was no way you cold have known that... .
Ok, you believe that. But in our scenario, mr. Bill has you in a pit. There is no escape. He controls what and when you eat, when and where you sleep, if you can talk, if you can move...

In that scenario, what rights do you have?

its like asking what rights do you have to your property after someone has stolen it. Ans: the same rights as before though you may not be able to exercise those rights due to illegal or unnatural interferance with your God or nature or tradition given rights..

. We create rights..

It's simply a different belief. The question of where rights originate is philosophical, but the reality is that until society decides on guaranteeing or granting a right, it cannot be exercised.

Absolute nonsense. I do not ask anyone for permission to exercise so much as a single one of my rights... never have and never will.

And if your conception of rights conflicts with our laws, you'll run into issues of being able to exercise your conception of rights. You can babble about the gun fight you'll die in. But you won't be excercising what you believe are your rights.

Rights are our invention. That you subjectively believe otherwise doesn't change history. Rights are an intellectual technology. Before they were invented and defined, they didn't exist. And if we fail to define and protect them, they won't exist.

Understand scamp... absent God, there is no potential for such a thing as a human right.

Says you. And you're nobody.

its like asking what rights do you have to your property after someone has stolen it. Ans: the same rights as before though you may not be able to exercise those rights due to illegal or unnatural interferance with your God or nature or tradition given rights..
so if you can't exercise a right, how do you know if you have it?

Subjective faith, I'm guessing.

Where_r_my_Keys

Ok, you believe that. But in our scenario, mr. Bill has you in a pit. There is no escape. He controls what and when you eat, when and where you sleep, if you can talk, if you can move...

I know that... as that truth is self evident.

But... (and I corrected this in an edit of the original reply...)

Ok I understand what you were asking. 'IF I'm in the pit of the psychopath... what rights do I have?' I didn't initially quite see where you were coming from ... .

In that pit, however, I have no means to exercise my rights, as the illicit use of power has prohibited such, at which time, it becomes my duty to destroy that power. Which provides that I will do, by whatever means is necessary, or attempt to do so to the last moment of consciousness... and where I should perish, I will depart this life, with my rights fully intact and a chunk of that douche-bags face, in my mouth, assuming I was restrained with my hands behind my back.

The distinction being that a person who 'believes' that they're rights are whatever the present power says they are, would merely rub in the lotion and hope that the LGBT advocate will be nice and let 'em go or load up the basket with an iPad, some pot and a bag of Doritos.

So if your car is stolen, you can't see it, because... well, it was stolen, therefore, how can you know its your car, thus your right to the unfettered use of it?

LOL! SERIOUSLY?

Rights are our invention. .

Aristotle said our rights came from observing natural behavior over a variety of times and places so they were never random inventions but rather reflections of the world God made.

So? Aristotle's conception of rights would have been radically different to ours. If we were referring to the same rights, this wouldn't have been the case. How do you explain the difference?

Easy.....we made them up. Just like he did.

And how is any man 'saying' something about rights proof it must be true?

Forum List

Back