Common Core Math Craziness on Full Display

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is what happens to a country when it has a president who got 340 on his Math SAT.

Refreshing News: Common Core Math Craziness on Full Display
1.jpg

So they aren't looking for the RIGHT mathematically correct answer. They want an answer that is reasonably close??

We could write everything you idiots know about common core on postage stamp. All you know is that you are supposed to oppose it. So you do.

Dupes.

We could write everything you idiots know about common core on postage stamp. All you know is that you are supposed to oppose it. So you do.

Dupes.

Don't be like Franco.

Franco's an idiot.

Dupes.

Then please enlighten me.

The OP posted a math test....where the exact correct answer was marked as wrong.

Explain.

The OP posted a math test....where the exact correct answer was marked as wrong.
Explain.

Don't you get it.? The test asked for a "reasonable answer" meaning an estimate. They didn't want the actual correct answer.!! That's crazy but it's oh so obama.

The Common core is indeed crazy....at least in 5th grade. There is estimation questions as appeared in the above post, but crazy ways to multiply, subtract and divide. Not the traditional methods at all. You have to draw boxes, straight lines and x's. Then cross them out individually to find the answer. The good ol' days of multiplying subtracting and dividing are essentially done. Honestly, I cannot see the value. I don't see it as a valuable tool of number sense. And it is extremely time consuming and very easy to get wrong.

The Common core is indeed crazy....at least in 5th grade. There is estimation questions as appeared in the above post, but crazy ways to multiply, subtract and divide. Not the traditional methods at all. .

These are govt schools and govt can't do anything right. Doesn't even want to do anything right.

The Common core is indeed crazy....at least in 5th grade. There is estimation questions as appeared in the above post, but crazy ways to multiply, subtract and divide. Not the traditional methods at all. .

These are govt schools and govt can't do anything right. Doesn't even want to do anything right.

Our public schools at one time were some of the best on earth! Government made us one of the most educated nations on earth. Every last one of the top 20 most educated nations have government ran schools.(Japan, South Korea, Norway, etc)

It isn't the concept of government running our schools that is the problem...The problem is the people that have taken over government that expect such a low standard of things. Why and how do we fix this should be what is debatable.

Our public schools at one time were some of the best on earth! Government made us one of the most educated nations on earth. Every last one of the top 20 most educated nations have government ran schools.(Japan, South Korea, Norway, etc)

It isn't the concept of government running our schools that is the problem...The problem is the people that have taken over government that expect such a low standard of things. Why and how do we fix this should be what is debatable.
Years ago, schools only educated and did a fine job. Now schools are social experiments gone wrong. they play to costly fads, are a replacement for the family and politically attempt tomodel the nation' children to liberals.

I remember a one-room schoolhouse in Clear Spring, Pennsylvania, back in the 1940s and 1950s. The little country school taught grades one through six. There was no air-conditioning or central heat. Open windows and summer breezes provided some relief from the summer heat and a pot-bellied stove heated the room in wintertime. One of my best memories was the kids bringing raw potatoes to school and having the teacher put it in the stove to bake them for lunch. There was no plumbing so two boys would carry drinking water from the closest farmhouse each day. Of course there were the outhouses with the traditional outhouse smells.

The only person I ever saw was my teacher. No grief counselors, no principal, no student nurse no one but the lady who went from row to row giving assignments and teaching the kids in each grade. Somehow she managed to teach us all, and she taught us well. A month or so before the end of the school year (I was in the 6th grade), I moved to the city and attended a multi-story brick school with all the amenities. This school used the same textbooks as Clear Spring School but I was far ahead of my new classmates. I had already finished the books that they would not complete by the end of the school term.

I dropped out of school very early in the 10th grade, but many years later I was able to put the letters MBA and JD after my name. When I was working towards my MBA my statistics class had over 70 students. After the first test there were only a dozen. The statistics instructor had never taught in the United States before and he was in for a shocker. During his first class, he put a simple formula on the blackboard. The final answer was “....... equals three-sixths which equals one-half.” One person raised his hand and asked “how did you get three-sixths equal one-half. What makes this question so ridiculous is everyone in the class had a 2-year college degree. Two years of college and he didn't know about simple reductions. I will never forget how the instructor took a few steps forward on a raised platform, dropped his arms to his side and looking out over the class said “If I were you I would sue the school system for what they've done to me.”

The one thing I learned from my experience is that fancy buildings are not the answer. Neither is throwing more and more money into a system that shows no improvement with ever increasing costs. What works is a competent teacher, a well-written and relevant text book, a proven lesson plan and zero tolerance for student misconduct. I remember when schools had these things. I remember a time when there was no such thing as a functionally illiterate high school graduate. I remember when colleges did not offer remedial reading courses for incoming freshmen. I remember a time when this country's educational system was the envy of the world. Sadly, in far too many school districts the quality of education has been in serious decline for years.

I humbly suggest that perhaps the cure is simply to do things the way we used to do them when the system actually worked. Unfortunately, I doubt that those in charge have the balls to do it.

Doesn't it depend on the topic. Rounding and estimating perhaps?
I think we are talking about two different situations. In the estimating situation, the student would best be advised to read the directions thoroughly and not guess what the assignment is asking for.
In the other part of common core math, the issue is it takes at least 20 times longer to figure out a simple multiplication problem using boxes, lines, circles and x's and counting or deleting over and over again. The "old fashioned method" of memorizing the math facts and applying them is a matter of seconds to give the student the right answer.

Forum List

Back