Consequences to Defunding the Police

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Ever since George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis, we've seen numerous calls to defund the police depts across the country. But there are consequences to that, as seen in Detroit:

Detroit, according to a report, has seen this decade an uptick in crime because of defunding the city’s police department. The city cut back its police force and funding during a historic bankruptcy in 2014. Funding for the police department has fallen 20 percent in the last six years. Starting salary is $40,000 a year. Wages for cops were cut 10 percent and have never recovered, accounting for inflation. Health benefits for retired cops were stopped and pension payments postponed.

Supporters say the “defund the police” movement isn’t about eliminating police departments or stripping agencies of all of their money. They say it is time for the country to address systemic problems in policing in America and spend more on what communities across the U.S. need, like housing and education. But in Detroit, gutting police department budgets has helped a downward spiral.

“We don't have enough police as it is,” said Rochelle Jones, a working mother of two. “People are acting the fool out here, and now you know the police aren't going to be coming around this summer with all that's going on. So what are the children supposed to do.”

During 80 days of the coronavirus lockdown, 18 children were shot in Detroit. In the city, there have been 100 homicides so far this year, a 25 percent spike over last year, and there have been 271 non-fatal shootings, an increase of 30 percent. The crime is a way of life that most residents just deal with as a normal.

India Williams was shot just over five years ago. “All I want from the man who shot me is an apology,” said India, now 12.

Having fewer police is not going to solve the problem of police misconduct IMHO, the good cops are going to go elsewhere or find another career. Some are doing that already. Crime is going to increase, and I highly doubt sending out social workers is going to help much.

You are exactly right. In Fla., 600 plain clothes police officers were fired due to defunding. It will be another Detroit. Just what sense does it make to defund police departments. More and More officers are quitting and I for one, don't blame them.

An entire SWAT team quit in another city. Just how stupid are the mAYORS, GOVERNORS AND SENATORS?

You are exactly right. In Fla., 600 plain clothes police officers were fired due to defunding. It will be another Detroit. Just what sense does it make to defund police departments. More and More officers are quitting and I for one, don't blame them.

An entire SWAT team quit in another city. Just how stupid are the mAYORS, GOVERNORS AND SENATORS?
I think you mean 600 in NYC?? You got your stories mixed:

The SWAT team quit in FL:

Don't forget...the people who want to defund/abolish the police also want to disarm you and I.

Ever since George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis, we've seen numerous calls to defund the police depts across the country. But there are consequences to that, as seen in Detroit:

Detroit, according to a report, has seen this decade an uptick in crime because of defunding the city’s police department. The city cut back its police force and funding during a historic bankruptcy in 2014. Funding for the police department has fallen 20 percent in the last six years. Starting salary is $40,000 a year. Wages for cops were cut 10 percent and have never recovered, accounting for inflation. Health benefits for retired cops were stopped and pension payments postponed.

Supporters say the “defund the police” movement isn’t about eliminating police departments or stripping agencies of all of their money. They say it is time for the country to address systemic problems in policing in America and spend more on what communities across the U.S. need, like housing and education. But in Detroit, gutting police department budgets has helped a downward spiral.

“We don't have enough police as it is,” said Rochelle Jones, a working mother of two. “People are acting the fool out here, and now you know the police aren't going to be coming around this summer with all that's going on. So what are the children supposed to do.”

During 80 days of the coronavirus lockdown, 18 children were shot in Detroit. In the city, there have been 100 homicides so far this year, a 25 percent spike over last year, and there have been 271 non-fatal shootings, an increase of 30 percent. The crime is a way of life that most residents just deal with as a normal.

India Williams was shot just over five years ago. “All I want from the man who shot me is an apology,” said India, now 12.

Having fewer police is not going to solve the problem of police misconduct IMHO, the good cops are going to go elsewhere or find another career. Some are doing that already. Crime is going to increase, and I highly doubt sending out social workers is going to help much.
Actually it's like they did in Camden and now I have 60% less crime with community policing you are totally misinformed on what it means. It is a stupid slogan.

I think you mean 600 in NYC?? You got your stories mixed:

The SWAT team quit in FL:
Thank you for the correction!

Actually it's like they did in Camden and now I have 60% less crime with community policing you are totally misinformed on what it means. It is a stupid slogan.

"Actually it's like they did in Camden and now I have 60% less crime with community policing you are totally misinformed on what it means. It is a stupid slogan."

Actually, what happened in Detroit is nothing at all like what happened in Camden. In Camden they disbanded their police force entirely, and went to a County police force that was in part funded by the state of New Jersey and Camden ended up with way more cops than they had before. Detroit has fewer cops and that's why crime is flourishing there. Camden has way more cops and that's why crime is dropping there. It is you who is misinformed.

No one wants to abolish the police accepting brainwashed super duper world. Look at Camden New Jersey community policing social work 60% less crime.

Obviously you didn't hear omar today.
P and then they replace it with reformed operations. What they do in Minnesota might be different. But nobody is talking about abolishing the police except for brainwashed functional morons on the right. Change the channel

No one wants to abolish the police accepting brainwashed super duper world. Look at Camden New Jersey community policing social work 60% less crime.

P and then they replace it with reformed operations. What they do in Minnesota might be different. But nobody is talking about abolishing the police except for brainwashed functional morons on the right. Change the channel

"But nobody is talking about abolishing the police except for brainwashed functional morons on the right."

This is a flat-out lie. Nobody on the right is stupid enough to call for defunding or disbanding the police. That is what the dumbfucks on the Left want. Some of them.

They did not defund anything in Camden. They INCREASED police presence there. What they did was a reorganization that led to far MORE police on the streets but reduced their pay and benefits.

Last edited:

"They then declared the space one led by the community and not subject to law enforcement. "

"Among other things, the list demanded “100%” abolition of the Seattle Police Department, rent control, a 911 system specifically for mental health emergencies and free college for Washington state residents."

You were saying?

"They then declared the space one led by the community and not subject to law enforcement. "

"Among other things, the list demanded “100%” abolition of the Seattle Police Department, rent control, a 911 system specifically for mental health emergencies and free college for Washington state residents."

You were saying?
A bunch of fun-loving hippie-ish millennials..... Try and remain calm. Change the channel for crying out loud.....

You were saying?
They all mean the same thing reorganized reform and more mental health. You know all the things that every other modern country has that we try to patch with policemen only. No sacrifice is too great to save the rich from paying their fair share or more like it.

They did not defund anything in Camden. They INCREASED police presence there. What they did was a reorganization that led to far MORE police on the streets but reduced their pay and benefits.
It's a community police Force now. All kinds of reform.

You were saying?
A bunch of fun-loving hippie-ish millennials..... Try and remain calm. Change the channel for crying out loud.....
And that has what to do with the fact you outright lied?

I highly doubt sending out social workers is going to help much.
Cops ban guns. Social workers ban guns.

Cops lock people up. Social workers lock people up, drug them, and torture them hideously.

What's the difference? Cops got a lot more life-ruining tools in their trunk than that.

Forum List

Back