🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Conservatives push for end of "no fault" divorce

So-What%20%281%29.jpg
Thought provoking.

I agree. If you are in an abusive relationship, that is a “fault”…the idea that one can say “meh..I’m just tired of being married” probably deserves a little more scrutiny.
For my uncle and his first wife, that was essentially how it went: they're still friends, he introduced her to her second husband, they're ALSO still good friends. But...they liked each other better in smaller doses. It might be the least-contentious divorce in history, because the only thing they both really wanted was their dog. (My uncle wound up with her, because his wife moved to a condo that didn't allow big dogs.)

I don't let a group of people, nor an entire society of people, dictate what I do. If one wants to get married and have kids then by all means do it. HOWEVER, if one aspires to NOT get married nor have a family WHO CARES? What difference does it make? Does anyone believe getting married and having kids is ones duty? Or it's a responsibility because a nation tells them to?

I remember the 60s before nofault divorce

Abusive marriages, constant fighting, domestic abuse, loveless marriages
Ah yes, because you were tapped into the millions of marriages in the country.

What a load of BS you just spun. Talk about pathetic

Ah yes, because you were tapped into the millions of marriages in the country.

What a load of BS you just spun. Talk about pathetic
Funny thing happened in the 70s

No fault divorce and more job opportunities for women led to a rush to divorce

You had to be there

Funny thing happened in the 70s

No fault divorce and more job opportunities for women led to a rush to divorce

You had to be there
That becomes a problem when we see in the data that women generally don't tend to find happiness in grinding out high status jobs, at least not like men do. Marriage and children are what make women the most happy. There are exceptions to the rule, obviously.. but in general, we should encourage marriage and a family for women, and if they decide not to, no problem. The messaging in society today to women is pretty much the opposite.. which leads women to higher rates of depression.

Nowadays, we've warped women's value so much that generally 80% of women are seeking 15% of men, average women view being with an average man as "settling", and 80% of divorces are initiated by women (that number jumps to 90% among college educated women).

Marriage is an institution that is good for society, and here we have people wanting to gut it.

Here's the truth: Without no fault divorce, people will be compelled to actually find out if they love the person they marry. Gosh, what a concept. A little accountability.. I know it's a tough concept for you and those on the left.

I have no idea why any non-religious person needs to get married anyways. Get the same legal rights through a civil union.

While the govt shouldn't require it, I think in america since about 1980 pre nup would be a wise idea. That way the two individuals can collectively bargain different divorce situations. If a decision cannot be agreed on then perhaps no marriage.
We should move to civil unions for non-religious people and marriage for religious.

There's an obvious difference. One is just a common status until they get unhappy, the other is a sacrament and lifelong commitment where they are challenged and encouraged to work through tough times.

We should move to civil unions for non-religious people and marriage for religious.

There's an obvious difference. One is just a common status until they get unhappy, the other is a sacrament and lifelong commitment where they are challenged and encouraged to work through tough times.
Define tough times. And many religious people chose divorce. There is nothing wrong with divorce. The problem is the religious marriage should have never occurred in the firstbplace.

Define tough times. And many religious people chose divorce. There is nothing wrong with divorce. The problem is the religious marriage should have never occurred in the firstbplace.
Religious marriage divorce is far less than secular.

of course there are exceptions to every rule.. but why should anyone outside of Christianity get married if the vows are meaningless?

This seems a gift to domestic abusers. I can only see it as a desire to take society back to a pre civilised age.
Message to failed husbands and wives. Once its over its over. You waste your time trying to turn the tide.
It's a stupid idea..... Can't understand why it would be a problem to anyone else.

Religious marriage divorce is far less than secular.

of course there are exceptions to every rule.. but why should anyone outside of Christianity get married if the vows are meaningless?
The number of religious vows that are broken is beyond count. The till death do us part thing isn't adhered to. Those marriages should have never taken place. The husband and spouse were probably only in their 20s. Much too young.

There is nothing wrong with divorce.
There is when one sex is initiating 80% of divorces and at the same time getting favorability in alimony and at times straight robbing their husbands of half of their earned wealth.

Women often benefit from divorce, so why wouldn't they do it?

The number of religious vows that are broken is beyond count. The till death do us part thing isn't adhered to. Those marriages should have never taken place.
Such a weak attitude. So because things get tough it shouldn't have taken place.

That's like saying if a sports team goes on a losing streak they should have never assembled as a team in the first place.

Pretty pathetic take by you if you ask me.

The husband and spouse were probably only in their 20s. Much too young.
No idea where you came up with that. Young couples often do better because they haven't had tons of sex partners, don't have emotional baggage, etc.

Such a weak attitude. So because things get tough it shouldn't have taken place.

That's like saying if a sports team goes on a losing streak they should have never assembled as a team in the first place.

Pretty pathetic take by you if you ask me.

No idea where you came up with that. Young couples often do better because they haven't had tons of sex partners, don't have emotional baggage, etc.
I believe mid 30s is now the best time to get married. Money saved by both spouses sets up security. Much less chance of divorce. No downsides.

Forum List

Back