Constitutional Right To Peacefully Assemble Latest 'Victim' of Govt COVID-19 Crackdown

Not homicide - death. Legally, there is a difference. You won't be charged with homicide because you didn't kill the person, and you didn't mean for them to die. Homicide means you did something intended to cause their death. If you were supposed to administer their life saving medication and withheld it knowing they would die, that would be criminally negligent homicide.

In this case, the Minister has been told that holding large gatherings could lead to his congregants getting sick and dying. He had chosen not to believe this, or he believes that God will protect his flock. Whatever his reasons, he has been warned of the problem. If he elects to hold services anyway, knowing the risks, it would be criminally negligent death. He didn't intend for them to die, but he disregarded a known risk and created the circumstances where they got sick and died, just as he had been warned they could.
So, a civil lawsuit?

Not homicide - death. Legally, there is a difference. You won't be charged with homicide because you didn't kill the person, and you didn't mean for them to die. Homicide means you did something intended to cause their death. If you were supposed to administer their life saving medication and withheld it knowing they would die, that would be criminally negligent homicide.

In this case, the Minister has been told that holding large gatherings could lead to his congregants getting sick and dying. He had chosen not to believe this, or he believes that God will protect his flock. Whatever his reasons, he has been warned of the problem. If he elects to hold services anyway, knowing the risks, it would be criminally negligent death. He didn't intend for them to die, but he disregarded a known risk and created the circumstances where they got sick and died, just as he had been warned they could.
So, a civil lawsuit?

I'd go for a reckless endangerment charge.

So you don't know what "Strawman" means EITHER?
Straw Man Fallacy Defined

The straw man fallacy involves misrepresenting an opponent’s position to make it easier to refute. Straw man arguments often oversimplify opposing views or disregard inconvenient points in favor of points that are easy to argue against.

Where did ANYONE say that a violent (or racist) mob intending to commit a crime has a constitutionally protected right to assemble for that purpose?

I used to think the USA was about freedom and opportunity
I did not know it was really all about “safeguarding health” while removing freedom and destroying opportunity
Guarantee of good health is not in the constitution nor a legal right. Freedom. Choice d, assembledge, worship All Are.

I'd go for a reckless endangerment charge.
A lot of jurisdictions within the U.S. do not have such crimes.

I know the authoritarian statist nation Canada does. They don't have the same rights we do. Canada sucks.

And what about the people who attend such an assembly. Are they not also responsible for their own actions?

If you research, and really get into it, every locality and state government now has more allegiance, at least the majority of the bureaucracy, to agenda 2030, than to the Constitution or Constitutional government.

Look at some of the comments in this thread, people openly talking to what amounts to treason. . .

"Is anyone getting tired of this rightwing whine fest about "shut downs" and "constitutional rights"?"

"The public's health takes precedence over the Constitution for now."

. . . and now an agent of the crown chimes in to lecture us on what we need to do. . . .

How interesting that her suggestions align perfectly with Agenda 2030. :45:

It makes you wonder if the founding revolutionaries had been more concerned for their lives than for liberty, if we would have ever had freedom at all. . . .

Best post I've read today. :clap:

When I read the comment about being tired of hearing about constitutional rights, I literally felt sick to my stomach. Now I understand more how a country like Nazi Germany was able to get away with so much. The bootlickers and dupes foolishly do the tyrants' bidding, and those who speak against what is happening are looked upon like the bad guys. Disgusting.

So, a civil lawsuit?

Both are absurd.

Being held liable for the actions of a natural pathogen, an act of nature, is insane.

The authoritarian tyrants of the world want to create a world, where neighbors have liability to create a safe world for everyone. This is a logistical nightmare, and patently a stupid idea. That "second hand smoke" analogy is a false one, that is something YOU choose to do. . . this is a whole other kettle of fish. . . .

What it boils down to, is Pogo is saying, if his neighbor's small child is playing ball and that ball happens to bounce or roll into his yard when he is not home, and that kid runs into his yard to get it, and gets bit by a tick with Lyme disease and dies, he could be held liable. . IF;

The neighbor could prove that Pogo didn't keep his yard trimmed short enough, and if he didn't keep his yard sprayed for Ticks. .. .

When did it become the responsibility to prove to the community that we are protecting everyone else against Lions and Tigers and Bears in order to maintain, keep, and be eligible for liberties guaranteed in the Bill of Rights?

At that point, acquiescence to the demands of the state becomes a requirement for the "privileges" of civil rights and civil liberties. GTFO.

Govt flexes muscle to show citizens / Constitution / Founding Fathers who's 'Boss'....

One Arrested as Raleigh, NC Police Suspend First Amendment; Declare Coronavirus Lockdown Protest “Non-Essential Activity”

'Raleigh, North Carolina police suspended the First Amendment Tuesday, dispersing a protest against the COVID-19 Chinese coronavirus lockdown and arresting one protester for failing to disperse. The police issued a statement declaring “Protesting is a non-essential activity” that was in violation of an executive order by Governor Roy Cooper (D) prohibiting mass gatherings.'

What is considered 'non-essential activity' by the government is a right protected by the Constitution from a government who seeks to quell all peaceful assemblies...

Add this one to the list of Constitutional Rights - like exercise of religious freedom - being trampled in the name of 'preventing the spread of CPVID-19'.

Benjamin Franklin - Liberty/Security - Comments on Mass. Refusal to Alter Charters/Laws to Avoid War

As to the other two acts, the Massachusetts must suffer all the hazards and mischiefs of war rather than admit the alteration of their charters and laws by Parliament. They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.’

Another way to look at it.

It's not just about YOUR safety. It's about those you might infect in the process of exercising your "liberty".

If you research, and really get into it, every locality and state government now has more allegiance, at least the majority of the bureaucracy, to agenda 2030, than to the Constitution or Constitutional government.

Look at some of the comments in this thread, people openly talking to what amounts to treason. . .

"Is anyone getting tired of this rightwing whine fest about "shut downs" and "constitutional rights"?"

. . . and now an agent of the crown chimes in to lecture us on what we need to do. . . .

It makes you wonder if the founding revolutionaries had been more concerned for their lives than for liberty, if we would have ever had freedom at all. . . .

When I read the comment about being tired of hearing about constitutional rights, I literally felt sick to my stomach. Now I understand more how a country like Nazi Germany was able to get away with so much. The bootlickers and dupes foolishly do the tyrants' bidding, and those who speak against what is happening are looked upon like the bad guys. Disgusting.

Oh my god. Now idiots are comparing this to Nazi Germany.

Disgusting.

Disgusting.

Don’t misrepresent my point. The comparison to Nazi Germany was the MINDSET of certain people. Do you understand what that means? That means people who trust everything they are told by the government and propaganda media. The MINDSET. Not the overall situation. And yes, those people are useful idiots.

Is anyone getting tired of this rightwing whine fest about "shut downs" and "constitutional rights"?

The shut down sucks, but the whining (and I'm not talking about job loss, a valid complaint) but the whining about not being able to get together in large groups is pretty shallow.

Quarantine is nothing new. Restricting large gatherings is during an epidemic is nothing new. But this level of whining is.

Anyone over 70 probably remembers quarantine during the polio outbreaks...

“But absolutely, when coronavirus hit, the first thing I thought of were those summers in the 1940s, how you couldn’t go to pools, you couldn’t go to the movies, you just stayed home,” says Gray, who as a child lived in Kansas City. “When I was in high school, a wonderful young man got polio. It was just so terrifying for us.”
maybe. maybe people are pretty shallow. but if people have legitimate questions about what we're being told vs. seeing, calling them shallow for asking is simply another form of shaming. you don't believe it, i will call you names.

and while a quarantine may be nothing new, i certainly have never seen an entire city do it; much less most of the world. to think people will sit and behave for an indefinite undefined period of time and not question why is simply unreasonable.

I think a certain amount of angst is understandable, and I think a LOT of angst about jobs, economy etc is very understandable. But I also think about how people underwent the privations, rationing and inconveniences brought on by WW2, with a sense of community and patriotism. But what I'm seeing is essentially people bitching about inconvenience (and, no, I don't like this either). And I guess the irony is, the people whining are the same people who bitch about others' "lack of patriotism" for not supporting certain policies or making choices based on "convenience.

It's going to end. This temporary suspension of large gatherings is exactly that - temporary. So...I guess my thought is suck it up and make it work knowing it is temporary. I'm more worried about jobs for so many people than I am about not being able to go to a physical church or congregate in crowds. My rights are not being infringed upon if it means temporary measures that preserve lives.

Govt flexes muscle to show citizens / Constitution / Founding Fathers who's 'Boss'....

One Arrested as Raleigh, NC Police Suspend First Amendment; Declare Coronavirus Lockdown Protest “Non-Essential Activity”

'Raleigh, North Carolina police suspended the First Amendment Tuesday, dispersing a protest against the COVID-19 Chinese coronavirus lockdown and arresting one protester for failing to disperse. The police issued a statement declaring “Protesting is a non-essential activity” that was in violation of an executive order by Governor Roy Cooper (D) prohibiting mass gatherings.'

What is considered 'non-essential activity' by the government is a right protected by the Constitution from a government who seeks to quell all peaceful assemblies...

Add this one to the list of Constitutional Rights - like exercise of religious freedom - being trampled in the name of 'preventing the spread of CPVID-19'.

Benjamin Franklin - Liberty/Security - Comments on Mass. Refusal to Alter Charters/Laws to Avoid War

As to the other two acts, the Massachusetts must suffer all the hazards and mischiefs of war rather than admit the alteration of their charters and laws by Parliament. They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.’

It's not just about YOUR safety. It's about those you might infect in the process of exercising your "liberty".
In the process of exercising liberty, one is also responsible for his/her own well being. One is also responsible for his/her own safety. His/her own risk.

Everyday, people enter the public forum at their own risk. Why is it different now?

BULLSHIT!!

This is an excuse to fuck over rights. Nothing more.

Those who want to gather, let them. But afterwards they cannot go back into the general public. Bus those who gather into an area they cannot infect others. Let them continually gather together until the crisis is over. Just stay the hell away of people who do not feel their life is worth risking so they can gather.

Disgusting.

Don’t misrepresent my point. The comparison to Nazi Germany was the MINDSET of certain people. Do you understand what that means? That means people who trust everything they are told by the government and propaganda media. The MINDSET. Not the overall situation. And yes, those people are useful idiots.

Actually, that is a very shallow comparison. Do you understand that? But if you really want to make comparisons to Nazi Germany - you need to demonize groups of people, throw in conspiracy theories and false canards. And convince the population they are in desperate danger from those people. And blindly follow.

You do realize Idaho is now a Covid hot spot right?

Sometimes those who are critical of the government (except Trump) and the mainstream media will just as blindly follow their chosen talking heads and media.

In the process of exercising liberty, one is also responsible for his/her own well being. One is also responsible for his/her own safety. His/her own risk.

Everyday, people enter the public forum at their own risk. Why is it different now?

BULLSHIT!!

This is an excuse to fuck over rights. Nothing more.

Sure. But who gives you the right to endanger others? Typhoid Mary anyone?

What is a reasonable balance?

It's going to end. This temporary suspension of large gatherings is exactly that - temporary. So...I guess my thought is suck it up and make it work knowing it is temporary. I'm more worried about jobs for so many people than I am about not being able to go to a physical church or congregate in crowds. My rights are not being infringed upon if it means temporary measures that preserve lives.
Yes, they are being infringed. You are willing to accept a limited level of infringement (as are many of us) because of the nature and duration, but it IS infringement. Call a spade a spade.

"might?"

"Clause 2: The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it."

Has the President suspended Habeas Corpus or not?

If not, why not?

Otherwise, I don't think you petty tyrants have a case. Do you REALLY want Trump to suspend it? That is the only legal grounds you have to enforce what you want.

Quite frankly, I am astonished the left would be the ones wanting to give the President this sort of power.

Good luck with that. . . . :20:

. . .and good luck getting the courts to interpret a "pandemic" as an "invasion," because that is the only way they will get the national government to suspend Habeas Corpus.

So you don't know what "Strawman" means EITHER?
Straw Man Fallacy Defined

The straw man fallacy involves misrepresenting an opponent’s position to make it easier to refute. Straw man arguments often oversimplify opposing views or disregard inconvenient points in favor of points that are easy to argue against.

Where did ANYONE say that a violent (or racist) mob intending to commit a crime has a constitutionally protected right to assemble for that purpose?

EXACTLY. Therefore it is not a "peaceable" assembly is it.

Weird how the OP wimped out of admitting that.

Forum List

Back