Cops steal 360k from person's car

Who in his right mind keeps $360,000 in a car?

Frankly, that much in hard cash, he was hiding something from someone.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Sound familiar?

There is nothing illegal about carrying a large sum of cash

Yawn, guy. He was obviously a drug dealer or something worse, but you guys who think Janet Napaletano is hiding in your closet are rushing to his defense.

"How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?" - Andy Dufrain

Skull Pilot continue to assert that there is no law against walking around with cash. Sadly, that isn't true. Having large amounts of cash - defined as $100 or more - IS considered suspicious activity and it can be seized even if you haven't done anything wrong. People use cash for all sorts of purchases. For instance, I used to work at trade shows where people bought many products in cash. The vendor ends up with lots of cash on-hand but, because they are traveling between states, can't deposit that cash in their regular bank account. I personally have carried thousands in cash when returning from a trade show.

Here is some legal background:

Forfeiture takes two distinct forms -- criminal and civil. Nearly all contemporary forfeiture involves the civil variety. Criminal forfeiture operates as punishment for a crime. It, therefore, requires a conviction, following which the state takes the assets in question from the criminal. Civil forfeiture rests on the idea (a legal fiction) that the property itself, not the owner, has violated the law. Thus, the proceeding is directed against the res, or the thing involved in some illegal activity specified by statute. Unlike criminal forfeiture, in rem forfeiture does not require a conviction or even an official criminal charge against the owner. This is the source of its attractiveness to law enforcement, and its threat to those concerned about abuse or circumvention of Constitutional protections.

Categories of Property Subject to Forfeiture--Bennis v. Michigan 517 U.S. 1163 (1996) (Stevens, J., dissenting)

1. Contraband

Property for which ownership by itself constitutes a crime, including smuggled goods, narcotics, and automatic weapons. The government's mandate in protecting the public forms the justification for seizure in this case.

2. Proceeds from Illegal Activity

Property directly resulting from, or that can be traced to, an illegal activity. Once a crime is identified, the government may seize any property flowing from the activity. In some cases, the government may seize property in lieu of provable criminal proceeds. Statutory innocent owner defenses provide a check on the seizure power, although this burden lies with the owner, not the government.

3. Tools or Instrumentalities Used in Commission of a Crime

Property used in the commission of a crime, including vehicles and real estate. By being associated with the crime, the property is "guilty" of the offense, and subject to seizure. In some cases, the innocence of the owner may not be a defense, although Constitution limitations, such as the Eighth Amendment's Excessive Fines Clause, may apply.

LII Backgrounder on Forfeiture

Is he supposed to keep it in one of those banks that got bailed out?

Um. Yeah. That was the purpose of a bailout, so people didn't lose their savings.

No it wasn't. Savings accounts are insured by the FDIC, the purpose of the bailout was to protect rich people from going broke.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Sound familiar?

There is nothing illegal about carrying a large sum of cash

Yawn, guy. He was obviously a drug dealer or something worse, but you guys who think Janet Napaletano is hiding in your closet are rushing to his defense.

"It's obvious" is not a good enough reason for the government to get away with something. If it was it would be obvious you are a murderer, and they could strap you down and fill you up with drugs, all without the bothersome expense of a trial.

the o mm of obvious thing the guy was was a guy with some cash.

Everything else is your assumption

Can one not be pulled over if one is acting suspiciously?

Having $360,000 in cash in your car is certainly suspicious. I know a lot of rich people. I'd suspect most of them don't carry around $360, let alone $360,000. Most people who would do so would most likely be linked to criminal activity.

Maybe he did nothing wrong, I don't know. But it certainly is suspicious.

They could tell he had $360,000 in his car from the way he was driving?

The way it is supposed to work is they have to charge you, take you to trial, and find you guilty. What are they going to charge him with here? Is there a new law that makes having cash on hand illegal? What is the cutoff point?

Having $360,000 in cash in your car is certainly suspicious. I know a lot of rich people. I'd suspect most of them don't carry around $360, let alone $360,000. Most people who would do so would most likely be linked to criminal activity.

Suspicion is subjective.

Sure. But I think most people would be suspicious of a guy driving around with $360,000 in cash. Legitimate business people generally don't do that.

Even if they just sold a brand new boat to a paranoid recluse who never uses banks?

Suspicion is subjective.

Sure. But I think most people would be suspicious of a guy driving around with $360,000 in cash. Legitimate business people generally don't do that.

Even if they just sold a brand new boat to a paranoid recluse who never uses banks?

Yes.

You could make up hypotheticals all day but it is extremely rare that someone legitimate would be driving around with a car full of money. Criminals, not legitimate business people, deal in large amounts of cash. That's why he is suspicious. He may not be guilty of anything, but most times, someone driving around with large amounts of money like that are involved in crime.

the o mm of obvious thing the guy was was a guy with some cash.

Everything else is your assumption

The way it is supposed to work is they have to charge you, take you to trial, and find you guilty. What are they going to charge him with here? Is there a new law that makes having cash on hand illegal? What is the cutoff point?

He wasn't pulled over because he was driving around with a lot of money. He was pulled over during a routine traffic stop. Then they found the money.

Yes.

You could make up hypotheticals all day but it is extremely rare that someone legitimate would be driving around with a car full of money. Criminals, not legitimate business people, deal in large amounts of cash. That's why he is suspicious. He may not be guilty of anything, but most times, someone driving around with large amounts of money like that are involved in crime.

Doesn't matter, unless the government can prove he is guilty he should be able to keep it.

He wasn't pulled over because he was driving around with a lot of money. He was pulled over during a routine traffic stop. Then they found the money.

Why did they search the car?

Suspicion is subjective.

It doesn't matter. Carrying cash is not a crime and is not a reason to stop, detain or search anyone.

Yes.

When he was out of the area, my uncle's boss ALWAYS carried a roll of cash on him...often $50,000+ (and this was 30 years ago). He owned a trucking company, and if buying used equipment, cash talks!

Why did they search the car?

Because he was stupid enough to allow them to.

Forum List

Back