Corporate Vs Individual landlords

Mate27

Jul 20, 2014
"Sounds like a good reason to get out of the landlord business. He can still get rid of you."

I own a house now.

But its been my experience in the past, that Im far better off in a corporate apartment complex... rather than renting from an individual.

For these reasons.

1. They're generally uniform in their design, and architecture and amenities, and in very good, top notch condition.

2. They're a business, and they serve their customers.

3. The majority (greater than 90 %) of the landlord-tenant court's dockets are tenants, and individual persons rather than corporations.

4. The routine, and emergency upkeep or repair services are much faster, and more professional and the grounds are much better kept.

5. The rents are generally lower.

6. They are actually MORE honest believe it or not, and do not have biases, LIKE an individual does, because there is less interaction between you, and your landlord.

7. The property manager has rules to follow, and if you have a problem, you can take it up to somebody else, like his supervisor, or the regional manager.

8. Your mobility is greater, if you want better amenities, or to live in a better area, if you rent from the same corporation, they'll help you move to the other apartments.
:)

That's my experience.

So maybe the A)SSHOLES should get out of the "landlord business"... a.k.a robbing people blind.

And it can be easily done, by saying... we had enough of landlords abusing tenants, no more renting out your personal house...
If you do not own 30 units or MORE, and are not in the business of renting out houses or apartments, and do not maintain a professional staff, and don't have a property manager, you cannot rent to tenants.

Last edited:
"Sounds like a good reason to get out of the landlord business. He can still get rid of you."

I own a house now.

But its been my experience in the past, that Im far better off in a corporate apartment complex... rather than renting from an individual.

For these reasons.

1. They're generally uniform in their design, and architecture and amenities, and in very good, top notch condition.

3. The majority (greater than 90 %) of the landlord-tenant court's dockets are tenants, and individual persons rather than corporations.

4. The routine, and emergency upkeep or repair services are much faster, and more professional and the grounds are much better kept.

6. They are actually MORE honest believe it or not, and do not have biases, LIKE an individual does, because there is less interaction between you, and your landlord.

7. The property manager has rules to follow, and if you have a problem, you can take it up to somebody else, like his supervisor, or the regional manager.

8. Your mobility is greater, if you want better amenities, or to live in a better area, if you rent from the same corporation, they'll help you move to the other apartments.

That's my experience.

So maybe the A)SSHOLES should get out of the "landlord business"... a.k.a robbing people blind.

And it can be easily done, by saying... we had enough of landlords abusing tenants, no more renting out your personal house...
If you do not own 30 units or MORE, and are not in the business of renting out houses or apartments, and do not maintain a professional staff, and don't have a property manager, you cannot rent to tenants.

My experience has been the opposite. The times I rented from an individual I got much better service.

I can see creating some regulations to prevent abuse. But banning private owners from renting is a bit too heavy handed, imo.

I've rented from individuals and large corporations. The larger the corporation the better the service. When something breaks an individual will first try a DIY fix. They often don't have the money to hire a private repairman. The tenant has to wait until the cost is budgeted in. The rent often pays the landlord's own mortgage and they don't keep reserves. A big company has a maintenance staff. They just come and fix it. These workers don't even care if you broke it. A company will have scheduled maintenance. The carpet will be cleaned every year. The unit will be painted every three to five years. A company rental is much more stable. Your home isn't going to be sold. Rent increases come periodically based on a percentage rather than how much the landlord needs.

Renting from a major company is far and away better than renting from an individual.

How about the deadbeat tenants who don't pay their rent, trash the property, verbally and sometimes physically abuse the landlord, etc.?

The LAST thing I would ever do is become a landlord. Let the "corporations" put up with all of that crap.

Corporations have staff lawyers that just do the evictions. They don't fool around. If the place is trashed maintenance cleans it and fixes it. It's business. The company doesn't get its feelings hurt.

I own a house now.

For these reasons.

That's my experience.

Yeah, just what we need, more regulations to keep the workers from making a living while making the rich even richer.

I don't have a problem with anyone who prefers a corporate owned property to one owned by an individual.

What I have a problem with is Mate's idea of not allowing individuals to rent to tenants.

Ban landlords altogether, nationalize every scrap of land in the country, and allow the pyyple living on it to decide how best to manage it.

Problem solved.

Forum List

Back