Cross Removed! Town avoids lawsuit and follows the law

christian cross on a christmas tree the TOWN that ALL residents pay taxes to. Yep endorsement of religion but government entity.

Very sad that some people are so hateful. I'll say a prayer for you. Bye.
Nothing hateful about following the law and not wanting others religion jammed down our throats. I don't push my religion on anyone I expect the same
There are many who hate this country's history and traditions.
Indeed but this has nothing to do with history or tradition. MANY of our founders were non believers or agnostics. They specifically stated in 1st amendment that no government endorsed religion.

Well this is enforced atheism, so someone's religion IS being forced on everyone else.
WTF?

Who was forced to be an atheist by this??

Who was forced to be a Christian by the cross on the tree?
Your question reveals your ignorance.

It reveals your claim that removing the cross enforces atheism is moronic. And It reveals you think there's no difference between "establish" and "enforce."

Nothing hateful about following the law and not wanting others religion jammed down our throats. I don't push my religion on anyone I expect the same
Indeed but this has nothing to do with history or tradition. MANY of our founders were non believers or agnostics. They specifically stated in 1st amendment that no government endorsed religion.

Well this is enforced atheism, so someone's religion IS being forced on everyone else.
WTF?

It reveals your claim that removing the cross enforces atheism is moronic. And It reveals you think there's no difference between "establish" and "enforce."

It forces the common areas to be hostile to religion, so atheists win, assholes that you are.

It's sad that some think that was some endorsement of religion. And of course the ACLU was in on this scam.
christian cross on a christmas tree the TOWN that ALL residents pay taxes to. Yep endorsement of religion but government entity.

Just because something is law doesn't make it right.
the thing is that it's not a violation of the constitution to merely have a religious display on public land. It is a violation of the first if government passes a law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free practice thereof

WTF?

It forces the common areas to be hostile to religion, so atheists win, assholes that you are.
It does no such thing.

And I'm not an atheist. Your ignorance defeats you again. :thup:

WTF?

I'm not an atheist. Your ignorance defeats you again. :thup:

Then why do you care about a cross on top of a tree?

WTF?

Because I care deeply about the Constitution and my personal religious freedoms.

Because I care deeply about the Constitution and my personal religious freedoms.

I am a strict constructionist, and even i don't really get how a cross on a tree in a public square is establishment of religion.

It's a pity most progressives aren't this anal about the 2nd amendment.

And putting a cross on a tree establishes Christianity as the national religion? Really?

Walk us through that

I am a strict constructionist, and even i don't really get how a cross on a tree in a public square is establishment of religion.

Do you understand how a cross on a church establishes Christianity in that building?

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...n-removes-cross-town-christmas-tree/95347796/

VICTORY! How many times we have to go over this. GOVERNMENT in any form may NOT endorse a religion including putting up a religious symbol.

Keep going for victories like this, and you will keep losing at the ballot box.
I don't think so. I strongly believe that holiday decorations in schools (like Christmas trees and menorahs) are fine, but that town's choice of Christianity's #1 symbol for the top of their tree was more appropriate for the First Congregational Church, not the town. I don't think it is unreasonable to object (although I wouldn't have objected, personally). This is clearly different than an attack on Christmas.

And putting a cross on a tree establishes Christianity as the national religion? Really?

Walk us through that
It says that the government is promoting Christianity.

Do you understand how a cross on a church establishes Christianity in that building?

No, being a Church establishes Christianity in that building. Crosses are the end result, not the fore result.

Walk us through that
It says that the government is promoting Christianity.

What? Based on what? And that's your definition of "Establish" a religion?

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...n-removes-cross-town-christmas-tree/95347796/

VICTORY! How many times we have to go over this. GOVERNMENT in any form may NOT endorse a religion including putting up a religious symbol.

I don't think so. I strongly believe that holiday decorations in schools (like Christmas trees and menorahs) are fine, but that town's choice of Christianity's #1 symbol for the top of their tree was more appropriate for the First Congregational Church, not the town. I don't think it is unreasonable to object (although I wouldn't have objected, personally). This is clearly different than an attack on Christmas.

A menorah is actually right up there as a main symbol of Judaism as the cross is to Christianity.

Maybe a draedel is closer to a Christmas tree.

Traditions are wonderful......(some of them)....but why should government (our taxes) pay for religious ones?

So if the people of the town paid for the cross, and then put it up there on their own, you would be OK with it?
Sure...on private land...as is done every year thru out the US.....sure.

Well there's that added condition I knew you would go for.

How is displaying something religious on public ground an endorsement of a religion?

So people should cower in a closet out of sight of those poor poor fragile atheists when they want to pray or worship?
How is displaying something religious on public ground an endorsement of a religion?
How else do you endorse a religion? Of course it's an endorsement. It's why churches put crosses on their buildings and on top of their roofs. It is their symbol. When a town uses that symbol, it is a full endorsement of that specific religion and it does not belong on government trees. Not that it doesn't belong anywhere, not just on a government tree.

No, being a Church establishes Christianity in that building. Crosses are the end result, not the fore result.
Nonsense. If there's no cross (or other religious markings) on a church, it's just a building with no identifiable religion. If I preach to guests in my house, that does not make it a church. Just as I thought, you don't get it.

A menorah is actually right up there as a main symbol of Judaism as the cross is to Christianity.

Maybe a draedel is closer to a Christmas tree.
ok. I remember a lot of pictures of those in my son's elementary school, too.

Traditions are wonderful......(some of them)....but why should government (our taxes) pay for religious ones?

So if the people of the town paid for the cross, and then put it up there on their own, you would be OK with it?
Sure...on private land...as is done every year thru out the US.....sure.

Well there's that added condition I knew you would go for.

So people should cower in a closet out of sight of those poor poor fragile atheists when they want to pray or worship?
How else do you endorse a religion? Of course it's an endorsement. It's why churches put crosses on their buildings and on top of their roofs. It is their symbol. When a town uses that symbol, it is a full endorsement of that specific religion and it does not belong on government trees. Not that it doesn't belong anywhere, not just on a government tree.

So then government gets to endorse atheism, right?

Nonsense. If there's no cross (or other religious markings) on a church, it's just a building with no identifiable religion. If I preach to guests in my house, that does not make it a church. Just as I thought, you don't get it.

Actually your house can be a Church, it depends on what religion you belong to. Hindus do most of their worship at home.

Forum List

Back