dad files restraining order against five-year-old alleged bully

Is five years old too young of an age to be given a restraining order for bullying?

• Yes. Bullying is a healthy rite of passage through which all children must go.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes. Parents thinking about taking such actions should target Miley Cyrus instead.

• No. Bullies need to be sent clear messages at young ages that their behavior is unacceptable.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No. They should throw their butts in jail, too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above.

• I'm not sure. I blame George W. Bush.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Elise Solé, Yahoo Shine—Brian Metzger has gone to drastic measures to protect his daughter. The Wisconsin dad filed a restraining order against her 5-year-old alleged bully.

Metzger’s daughter, 6, was repeatedly harassed by a male classmate at Prairie Lane Elementary School, according to a recent story published by Wisconsin local news affiliate WISN12. "She came home and said a student threatened her by saying, 'I want to slit your throat and watch you bleed,'" Metzger told WISN12. He explained that she and other students have been dealing with the same individual all year. Metzger had complained to school officials about the boy in the past, but they failed to remove him from his daughter's class, according to the New York Daily News. So Metzger decided to take the matter to the police.

The May 12 incident is described as "disorderly conduct” and involved the boy kicking the girl in the face and throwing sand and rocks at her during gym class, according to the Pleasant Prairie Police Department's report. He was sent home that day for his behavior.

Metzger delivered the restraining order to the school on May 13 and on the following day, the boy was removed from his daughter’s class.

However, Metzger isn’t satisfied. He says his little girl used to love kindergarten and now doesn’t want to go to school. Metzger wants the boy removed from the school — and the Kenosha Unified school district. Prairie Lane Elementary School spokesperson Tanya Ruder could not elaborate on specifics however she sent the following statement to Yahoo Shine. “KUSD is working directly with the families involved and will continue working with them. Providing a safe learning environment for all students is one of our top priorities.” A hearing on the restraining order is set for Tuesday, May 20th. Metzger could not be reached for comment and the identity of the boy and his parents is unknown, so Yahoo Shine could not confirm Metzger's allegations.

“Although it's difficult to comment directly without knowing the specifics of the case, it sounds as though these types of verbal threats are extremely disturbing and a red flag that one needs professional attention,” Fran Walfish, PsyD, a Los Angeles based child psychologist and author of The Self-Aware Parent (who is not involved in this case), tells Yahoo Shine. “However, the physical behavior—kicking and throwing things—is most concerning.” It’s possible that the boy was mimicking a scene he saw on television or in real life or that he himself was disciplined in a similar manner, but either way, says Walfish, getting help now is crucial because kids are most pliable before the age of seven. “Between the ages of 7 and 12, children transition into adolescence and their defenses go up, so it’s much harder to reach them, emotionally," she says. "The fact that the boy is only five, is a sign that he may be more receptive to getting help.”

Metzger may succeed at getting the boy transferred from his daughter's school, but removing him from the district could be challenging, says Walfish. "All public schools are required to provide free public education to children, whether or not they are disturbed, however the school could place the boy in special classes for children with disciplinary problems or provide him with a 'shadow' teacher, who would provide special attention," she says.

Meltzger's actions against the boy may seem extreme, but he's just the latest parent to take legal action. Earlier this month, a Fairfield, Calif. father took out a restraining order against a 9-year-boy who he says attacked his 10-year-old son, claiming the school failed to document the incident. The boy was later expelled for an unrelated incident.

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/b...ughter-restraining-order-bully-163440739.html

I don't know how you enforce this. Will they arrest a five year-old?

I miss the days when you could just slap the shit out of someone else's kid if they needed it.

Last edited:
^^^ Amen to what you say here. To me, self defense is one of the most important things that a parent should teach their kids.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. The best way for evil to triumph is for good to stand there and not do a thing.

Not sure if a 5 year old is mature enough to be held accountable for his actions. I don't believe a restraining order against a 5 year old is the way to go. School officials and the boy's parents need to have a serious talk with the boy. If that doesn't work, then the boy should get professional help, and be placed in another school where he would be away from the victim.

Why not tell your kid to beat the living shit out of the bully? You can't be there the rest of her live to protect her and it will only get worse.

Chances are good this would get your child involved in disciplinary action.

And thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's what's wrong with America, in a nutshell.

Its worth it,if it stops a bully and shows them you won't tolerate it.Its what my dad told me to do. I did,got in trouble,my dad came in and tore principal a new one. :) Principal knew I was being picked on wouldn't do nothing about it.

That sounds sane.

With all these stories that circulate today--I don't know what to think.

It sounds like this had been going on for quite some time. What other options there may have been --I don't know.

If the bully needs a different learning environment--then hopefully that can now be found.

When it comes to comments like 'I want to slit your throat'--that sounds like emergency measures are needed.

sad that this is now something kids have to deal with. very sad.

Not sure if a 5 year old is mature enough to be held accountable for his actions. I don't believe a restraining order against a 5 year old is the way to go. School officials and the boy's parents need to have a serious talk with the boy. If that doesn't work, then the boy should get professional help, and be placed in another school where he would be away from the victim.

Without additional details--I have to assume this has gone on for quite some time---and other options didn't work.

If I had no other choice I would do whatever is necessary to protect my child.

Why not tell your kid to beat the living shit out of the bully? You can't be there the rest of her live to protect her and it will only get worse.

Chances are good this would get your child involved in disciplinary action.

Not to mention: the bully is a year older and quite probably much bigger. And he could easily have some friends who will help pound on her.

The Dad is clearly making a statement to the school more than anything else.
He's shaming them for not sorting this shit out.

Without additional details--I have to assume this has gone on for quite some time---and other options didn't work.

If all else fails (after all we're dealing with a five year old child), and school officials refuse to transfer the boy to another school, then all bets are off.

I have a son who's in grade school, and he knows some wrestling, however I told him never to start anything. If by chance someone were to throw a first punch, I instructed him to defend himself.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

That is what I inferred. Probably started months ago---meetings were held--possibly some behavioral modifications were tried--possibly the child needs assistance--nothing got better.

Sounds like the 'I want to slit your throat'--etc was the last straw. Action was taken.

That is what I inferred. Probably started months ago---meetings were held--possibly some behavioral modifications were tried--possibly the child needs assistance--nothing got better.

Sounds like the 'I want to slit your throat'--etc was the last straw. Action was taken.

I think it's a really smart move.
He's embarrassed the school and taught his daughter that she doesn't have to put up with bullies.
Even if they are bigger and stronger than her she can still get help.

If all else fails (after all we're dealing with a five year old child), and school officials refuse to transfer the boy to another school, then all bets are off.

I have a son who's in grade school, and he knows some wrestling, however I told him never to start anything. If by chance someone were to throw a first punch, I instructed him to defend himself.

I don't know what else can be done.

The sort of 5 yr old that has obviously not been receptive to anything any adults have suggested/told him to do is in a different category. jmo.

Do union grammar school education bureaucrats let kids get away with threatening other kids with having their "throats slit" these days? I'm all for trash talk on the gridiron but this is evidence of a potential psychotic problem that should be freaking taken care of by the hundreds of bureaucrats that the union based education seems to employ these days. Was it racial? That;s another matter.

Do union grammar school education bureaucrats let kids get away with threatening other kids with having their "throats slit" these days? I'm all for trash talk on the gridiron but this is evidence of a potential psychotic problem that should be freaking taken care of by the hundreds of bureaucrats that the union based education seems to employ these days. Was it racial? That;s another matter.

If this kid said this, he is disturbed, plain and simple, and needs to be removed from the regular environment. However, if the parents are uncooperative, that is really hard to get done in a timely fashion.....and for anyone who thinks this kid is too young, I personally know of two families where the parent woke up one night with a kid that age holding a knife to their throat. Both kids had already been diagnosed with problems.

It's the fault of the unions?

It's the fault of the unions?

Yeah...that cracked me up.

Forum List

Back