Darden announces sale of Red Lobster

Many restaurants, that attract mainly the middle-class will fold, just as the middle-class is doing.
Many other restaurants that attract mainly the middle-class have grown rapidly over the past decade.

The 2013 Restaurant Growth Index | Restaurant Business
Nielsen tracked a $3.8 billion dip in total industry sales last year, a rollercoaster drop from the increase in sales of $17.5 billion reported in last year’s RGI. That uptick in 2011 helped fuel the significant jump in the number of restaurants we’re now seeing: an increase of 47,161 units (as opposed to the almost 16,000 unit drop reported last year). But with more restaurants opening, we’re seeing per-unit sales dropping: a 7 percent decline from $719,276 down to $666,116. Likewise, we’re seeing restaurant sales dropping year-over-year by $24 per capita (from $1,533 to $1,509), despite a .07 percent rise in average per capita income.

Many restaurants, that attract mainly the middle-class will fold, just as the middle-class is doing.
Many other restaurants that attract mainly the middle-class have grown rapidly over the past decade.

The 2013 Restaurant Growth Index | Restaurant Business
Nielsen tracked a $3.8 billion dip in total industry sales last year, a rollercoaster drop from the increase in sales of $17.5 billion reported in last year’s RGI. That uptick in 2011 helped fuel the significant jump in the number of restaurants we’re now seeing: an increase of 47,161 units (as opposed to the almost 16,000 unit drop reported last year). But with more restaurants opening, we’re seeing per-unit sales dropping: a 7 percent decline from $719,276 down to $666,116. Likewise, we’re seeing restaurant sales dropping year-over-year by $24 per capita (from $1,533 to $1,509), despite a .07 percent rise in average per capita income.

What a difference a year and one month can make?? ObamaCare's effect on businesses had not been felt as fully, a year ago. And I wasn't including fast-food places when I made my post.

Also, from your link:

The 2013 RGI—compiled for Restaurant Business by Nielsen, a global provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy—shows weakening restaurant sales, but more restaurants—a volatile combination.

When you start a restaurant targeted on a price-point market and your raw material costs push you above what the tarted "audience" is willing to spend then you fail.

Labor cost is a factor, true, but in these cases food costs have skyrocketed and pay packets (for the customers) haven't.

I agree...Red Lobster used to be a reasonably priced seafood restaurant. Not anymore.

When you start a restaurant targeted on a price-point market and your raw material costs push you above what the tarted "audience" is willing to spend then you fail.

Labor cost is a factor, true, but in these cases food costs have skyrocketed and pay packets (for the customers) haven't.

The vaunted Obama economy, 0.1 percent growth.

The aging tee potty types think of RL and OG as fine dining and the menus reflect the obesity/diabetes epidemic.

And they sure as hell don't care if their server is getting shafted. If reading here is any indication, they like knowing that the giant corporation is screwing over the help.

If the server has a table of black folks there's a good chance they don't get a tip at all.
Blacks are notorious for not tipping or barely tipping. :eusa_hand:
Talk about getting shafted.

Last edited:
The aging tee potty types think of RL and OG as fine dining and the menus reflect the obesity/diabetes epidemic.

And they sure as hell don't care if their server is getting shafted. If reading here is any indication, they like knowing that the giant corporation is screwing over the help.

If the server has a table of black folks there's a good chance they don't get a tip at all.
Blacks are notorious for not tipping or barely tipping. :eusa_hand:
Talk about getting shafted.

They are also notorious for being targeted by white wingnuts.

put_the_white_back_in_whitehouse-vertical.jpg

Go to hell you stupid freak.

FARMED Salmon is $18/lb at our local market.

Seafood has spiked up in price...as have meat and poultry. But the gubmint tells us that inflation is 1.5%.

As if.

Red Lobster has been in a death spiral for years. It's all over but the funeral march. I realized that they were in trouble about 15 years ago, when they started advertising their dishes on television, filmed with a telephoto lens, in which they were trying to make their popcorn shrimp look like giant sea monsters. Olive Garden does not have a chance, either. Nobody wants a giant plate of pasta with some heavy duty calorie cream sauce, with 2 ozs. of protein.

hell its not even giant anymore.

Seriously being from New England, Red lobster is shit.

FARMED Salmon is $18/lb at our local market.

Seafood has spiked up in price...as have meat and poultry. But the gubmint tells us that inflation is 1.5%.

As if.

normal salmon costs about 12.99 a pound. been this way for years. it costs 18.99 because its a local market..i can go to the store this weekend and get it for 7.99 a pound....

the idiocy of most left wingers is on full display here. blaming this sale on republicans is beyond stupid. they are simply selling at profit and focusing on olive garden.

claiming that only repblicans eat there shows a level of ignorance i've never seen. it is a middle class restaurant and likely has any many dems as pubs depending on location. so say dems don't eat there or to fail to acknowledge they do [MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION] proves you're nothing but a left wing shill and liar.

the idiocy of most left wingers is on full display here. blaming this sale on republicans is beyond stupid. they are simply selling at profit and focusing on olive garden.

claiming that only repblicans eat there shows a level of ignorance i've never seen. it is a middle class restaurant and likely has any many dems as pubs depending on location. so say dems don't eat there or to fail to acknowledge they do [MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION] proves you're nothing but a left wing shill and liar.

Betcha [MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION] can't show me where I wrote that "only repblicans eat there [sic]" .

:D

you certainly didn't whine about dems eating there....you bashed the right for eating there luddly, you don't fool anyone

you certainly didn't whine about dems eating there....you bashed the right for eating there luddly, you don't fool anyone

Post the link to where I wrote "only repblicans eat there [sic]" or admit you lied.

Forum List

Back