Dear fellow Conservatives....

My journey to conservatism and the Libertarian Party is a long and complicated one. The only part that matters to this thread is that the hallmark of that journey is learning the importance of thinking for myself.

The Internet, especially Facebook is rife with misinformation, out if context statements, strawman arguments and even outright bull shit. I'm referring to the stuff that is coming FROM THE RIGHT.

Now, just about everything coming from the left is utter bull shit but we expect that. We conservatives don't need to do that. The left does it because they are devoid of facts, logic, and rational thought. We cannot allow ourselves to resort to the same things. The truth will win out, we need to stick to it.

I'm posting this as a result of my complete surprise to see on Facebook, conservative pages complaining if a liberal environmental message in the new Godzilla movie. I had just seen the movie and saw NO Environmental agenda being driven. This message seems to be going viral and it's obvious that whoever started it didn't see the movie.

Does Hollywood push the left wing agenda? Yes we all know that they do but they don't ALWAYS. They did not in this movie.

Be conservative, be skeptical, oppose Obama and the DNC, fight the destructive left wing agenda whenever and wherever it raises its ugly head, but don't abandon that's at important of conservative traits: thinking for yourself.
IT gets even worse than that. I often see people who read subject lines (I've been guilty of it a few times) and assume that the posted information relates to that. I have also read what they claim is the subject and found no evidence of the subject at all, or a total misreading of what the news article or other piece of information is stating.

I realize that the left think that conservatives are not fact based, but that is because they have their heads so far up Obama's ass that they refuse to look at anything that does not look like a prostrate as facts.

Me, I could care less. However, I do often find that the alleged conservatives on this forum are too busy worrying about who can ban whom, what gossip is being spoken about others or themselves, and simply want to play at soap opera.

Why not just read the information, think on it a while, and come up with a response based upon reflection rather than current hype?

And for the love of God, stop feeding the trolls (which is about 96% of the left on this forum). Just ignore those who make snide and stupid remarks like where are the WMD's? They lost that debate years ago.

Unless one comes here just to argue for the sake of arguing. If thats true, stop calling yourself conservative and just call yourself juvenile.

You're talking about here on USMB, man, don't even get me started on that!
Of course. In the real world, the democrats and liberals I interact with are polite and disagree politely whenever we disscuss issues affecting the world. I do the same. If someone in the real world talked to Me the way some on the USMB did, I'd be in prison for manslaughter.

IT gets even worse than that. I often see people who read subject lines (I've been guilty of it a few times) and assume that the posted information relates to that. I have also read what they claim is the subject and found no evidence of the subject at all, or a total misreading of what the news article or other piece of information is stating.

I realize that the left think that conservatives are not fact based, but that is because they have their heads so far up Obama's ass that they refuse to look at anything that does not look like a prostrate as facts.

Me, I could care less. However, I do often find that the alleged conservatives on this forum are too busy worrying about who can ban whom, what gossip is being spoken about others or themselves, and simply want to play at soap opera.

Why not just read the information, think on it a while, and come up with a response based upon reflection rather than current hype?

And for the love of God, stop feeding the trolls (which is about 96% of the left on this forum). Just ignore those who make snide and stupid remarks like where are the WMD's? They lost that debate years ago.

Unless one comes here just to argue for the sake of arguing. If thats true, stop calling yourself conservative and just call yourself juvenile.

Of course. In the real world, the democrats and liberals I interact with are polite and disagree politely whenever we disscuss issues affecting the world. I do the same. If someone in the real world talked to Me the way some on the USMB did, I'd be in prison for manslaughter.

I refuse to discuss politics in public for two reasons:

1. It ruins the fun
2. There's no way to back up anything you say. You could state any silly thing you wanted to.

I refuse to discuss politics in public...
Good thing this isn't public eh? More of that "thinking" of yours on display.

1. It ruins the fun
2. There's no way to back up anything you say. You could state any silly thing you wanted to.
Yes, but the predicate is that if someone makes a claim you are not certain is true, you then you go find out if its true. I've learned a number of good things doing just that.

Unlike those leftists here who search for information that validates ONLY their position or beliefs.

That is how we end up with so many 'hate America' topics.

1. It ruins the fun
Yes, but the predicate is that if someone makes a claim you are not certain is true, you then you go find out if its true. I've learned a number of good things doing just that.

Unlike those leftists here who search for information that validates ONLY their position or beliefs.

That is how we end up with so many 'hate America' topics.

I can spot the bull shit when I hear it but in the rare times when I hear something new, I reserve judgement until I've checked it out for myself.

I agree with you on the 2nd point but there is still the first. It does tend to be a downer.

My journey to conservatism and the Libertarian Party is a long and complicated one. The only part that matters to this thread is that the hallmark of that journey is learning the importance of thinking for myself.

The Internet, especially Facebook is rife with misinformation, out if context statements, strawman arguments and even outright bull shit. I'm referring to the stuff that is coming FROM THE RIGHT.

Now, just about everything coming from the left is utter bull shit but we expect that. We conservatives don't need to do that. The left does it because they are devoid of facts, logic, and rational thought. We cannot allow ourselves to resort to the same things. The truth will win out, we need to stick to it.

I'm posting this as a result of my complete surprise to see on Facebook, conservative pages complaining if a liberal environmental message in the new Godzilla movie. I had just seen the movie and saw NO Environmental agenda being driven. This message seems to be going viral and it's obvious that whoever started it didn't see the movie.

Does Hollywood push the left wing agenda? Yes we all know that they do but they don't ALWAYS. They did not in this movie.

Be conservative, be skeptical, oppose Obama and the DNC, fight the destructive left wing agenda whenever and wherever it raises its ugly head, but don't abandon that's at important of conservative traits: thinking for yourself.

I agree with you big time on this. Uou never see liberals post stuff like this. And this is why this crap really doesnt happen with conservatives, because were not robots and have orginizations tell us what to do. You also see very little protests from the right and if you do, the people arent paid and no why they are protesting

i havent seen it yet, but plan on it if word of mouth is good. I planned on seeing noah but wife got sick and so well catch it on dvd.

I didn't see Noah, I will probably watch it on Netflix later. You know that Glenn Beck said not to see it? I think he was looking for a biblical story. He claims that its an environmental propaganda film but seriously, where were the coal fired power plants and the SUVs? Seriously, let the democrats abandon independantly thought for conformity and group speak. We need to fight that shit tooth and nail.

Yeqh were in total agreement o this. I like glenn back, but ill watch and decide for myself on these movies. Lets take a look at day after tommorrow, i heard similar things about it, but ive never seen it just because it doesnt look appealing, im not a huge disaster film fan and just havent seen it.

now you look at avatar, i can certainly see political context in it, but when i saw it in the theatre it was so boring i noded off much of the movie, here and there a few seconds at a time.

Last edited:
As strange as this sounds, I depend a lot on this message board for my information. If there is a subject that I want to know about I can usually find it already being discussed somewhere here.

On the MSM you can't get an unbiased review of a subject. Same goes with FOX. You could try to listen to one, then the other in order to get both sides, but it's easier to check with USMB where you can get the left and right view, and if you prefer, even the left wing nut view. Likely the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all that.

I agree with you big time on this. Uou never see liberals post stuff like this. And this is why this crap really doesnt happen with conservatives, because were not robots and have orginizations tell us what to do. You also see very little protests from the right and if you do, the people arent paid and no why they are protesting

i havent seen it yet, but plan on it if word of mouth is good. I planned on seeing noah but wife got sick and so well catch it on dvd.

I didn't see Noah, I will probably watch it on Netflix later. You know that Glenn Beck said not to see it? I think he was looking for a biblical story. He claims that its an environmental propaganda film but seriously, where were the coal fired power plants and the SUVs? Seriously, let the democrats abandon independantly thought for conformity and group speak. We need to fight that shit tooth and nail.

Yeqh were in total agreement o this. I like glenn back, but ill watch and decide for myself on these movies. Lets take a look at day after tommorrow, i heard similar things about it, but ive never seen it just because it doesnt look appealing, im not a huge disaster film fan and just havent seen it.

now you loo, at avatar, i can certainly see political context in it, but when i saw it in the theatre it was so boring i noded off much of the movie, here and there a few seconds at a time.

I saw the Day After Tomorrow once a long time ago and though I have a vague remembrance of an environmental message, I don't remember for sure. Not only was Avatar a stupid movie but it is an almost exact copy of Fern Gully. It was a rip off that I'll never watch again that's for sure.

As far as Glenn Beck and Rush, I love listening to them but I cringe when Rush says "Don't think, let me do it for you."

My favorite radio talkers of all time was Neil Boortz who used to say don't believe anything I tell you unless you do the research yourself. I think I've heard Beck say something like that recently too.

As strange as this sounds, I depend a lot on this message board for my information. If there is a subject that I want to know about I can usually find it already being discussed somewhere here.

On the MSM you can't get an unbiased review of a subject. Same goes with FOX. You could try to listen to one, then the other in order to get both sides, but it's easier to check with USMB where you can get the left and right view, and if you prefer, even the left wing nut view. Likely the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all that.

Yup.

It's a pain in the ass, but you really have to check multiple sources on anything at this point. Journalism and advocacy journalism are now so intertwined that identifying fact from opinion takes some effort. The real problem is that you can't know what pertinent facts any given story is leaving out to push an agenda.

A partisan ideologue is happy with just their side of the story. That's intellectual laziness and probably reflects an insecurity with their position on any given topic.

If you must listen to talk radio....I suggest the following three programs.

Michael Smerconish
Pete Dominick
The Morning Briefing on POTUS

These are all found on satellite radio.

They all result in the listeners being prompted to think for themselves.

Just the opposite of Rush, Beck and Boortz.

Fucking OP really fancies himself a critical thinker. It boggles the mind.

Look around, the libertarian party has been hijacked by pot-heads. All they are interested in is legalizing marijuana and the rest of the agenda is lost in a fog. A vote for libertarians is a wasted vote. If you want to make the GOP more conservative join the Tea Party.

That is your opinion, and I know that people who smoke pot exist in the LP Party but it isn't the whole party by any stretch of the imagination. But this is a discussion for another thread.

Even without the pot argument, doesn't it make more sense to work within the republican party than waste a vote on a forlorn hope that a party that has never garnered a single electoral vote in 150 years can sill somehow elect a president? You can tell by the left wing hysteria that they hate and fear the Tea Party because it is s strong influence in the GOP. My guess is the post is either based on ignorance or it is a part of the left wing dirty tricks plan to suppress voter turnout in the republican party.

Yup.

It's a pain in the ass, but you really have to check multiple sources on anything at this point. Journalism and advocacy journalism are now so intertwined that identifying fact from opinion takes some effort. The real problem is that you can't know what pertinent facts any given story is leaving out to push an agenda.

A partisan ideologue is happy with just their side of the story. That's intellectual laziness and probably reflects an insecurity with their position on any given topic.

Are you aware that you are responding to the post of a partisan ideologue? Why would you define the term for him?

Yup.

I don't know how old you are but I remember the dawn if the Information Age when we all thought we wpuld be able to access data about anything any time. Turns out we have unlimited access to bull shit.

This conversation has morphed into an interesting discussion that is still relevant to the topic IMO. It is also a topic that participation from the left could be informative. We were discussing how you cannot get unbiased info anywhere and that you have to do your research yourself to find the truth. Liberal input us now welcome.

And it isn't just Facebook. It's on the rest of the Internet, and on conservative radio as well. I listen to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh and I know without a doubt that some of the things they both say is not quite the whole story. We here in Orlando have a morning conservative guy names Bud Hedinger who is one of the worst as far as giving conservatives a bad name, but he's the only think on at that time of the day. I listen to them because I'll always listen to opposing voices. Mainly for the balance.

The more critically and independantly you think, the more likely you are to find the truth, and the more likely you are to be conservative. Lets let the left wing sheeple spout mindless talking points, and evasive deceptive lies. We don't need to do that. The progressives cannot win in the arena of truth and ideas. Our greatest strength is our intellect, and critical thinking skills. Lets not turn that over to pre made, cut and paste, like and share snippits of popular drivel.

The real prob being peeps vote their wallets and as long as Dems are giving it all away - and they will until there's nothing left to give - those on the receiving end will continue to vote for them.

Urban Dictionary: Ineptocracy

now you loo, at avatar, i can certainly see political context in it, but when i saw it in the theatre it was so boring i noded off much of the movie, here and there a few seconds at a time.

I saw the Day After Tomorrow once a long time ago and though I have a vague remembrance of an environmental message, I don't remember for sure. Not only was Avatar a stupid movie but it is an almost exact copy of Fern Gully. It was a rip off that I'll never watch again that's for sure.

As far as Glenn Beck and Rush, I love listening to them but I cringe when Rush says "Don't think, let me do it for you."

My favorite radio talkers of all time was Neil Boortz who used to say don't believe anything I tell you unless you do the research yourself. I think I've heard Beck say something like that recently too.

yeah neil boortz was great, i also like laura ingram as well. And they all say that even rusn. Now i think that kind of talk is just to get a rile out of some people. Along with half my brain tied behind my back and talent on loan from god and alot of other stuff, he says to piss off people and it works to a degree in getting attention and pissing off people.

Look around, the libertarian party has been hijacked by pot-heads. All they are interested in is legalizing marijuana and the rest of the agenda is lost in a fog. A vote for libertarians is a wasted vote. If you want to make the GOP more conservative join the Tea Party.

That is your opinion, and I know that people who smoke pot exist in the LP Party but it isn't the whole party by any stretch of the imagination. But this is a discussion for another thread.

Even without the pot argument, doesn't it make more sense to work within the republican party than waste a vote on a forlorn hope that a party that has never garnered a single electoral vote in 150 years can sill somehow elect a president? You can tell by the left wing hysteria that they hate and fear the Tea Party because it is s strong influence in the GOP. My guess is the post is either based on ignorance or it is a part of the left wing dirty tricks plan to suppress voter turnout in the republican party.

Ok, like I said, this is off topic. The relative merits of the LP has been discussed many times before. You had the last word now so I'll go back to the relevant posts.

This conversation has morphed into an interesting discussion that is still relevant to the topic IMO. It is also a topic that participation from the left could be informative. We were discussing how you cannot get unbiased info anywhere and that you have to do your research yourself to find the truth. Liberal input us now welcome.

I gave you three radio sources that would be better for your goal than what you are now listening to. Gonna try listening?

And....liberal input was always welcome. You just didn't know it.

Last edited:

yeah neil boortz was great, i also like laura ingram as well. And they all say that even rusn. Now i think that kind of talk is just to get a rile out of some people. Along with half my brain tied behind my back and talent on loan from god and alot of other stuff, he says to piss off people and it works to a degree in getting attention and pissing off people.

These guys and gals are mostly entertainers, and Boortz was by far the most entertaining, but you HAVE to be skeptical when you listen. The good thing about listening to them is that you hear from opposing voices. If it wasn't for them, all we would hear is the Obama living MSM and that would be dark days.

The good thing about USMB is that I don't have to listen to the MSM ( I already almost never watch FOX), the lefties here are more than willing to give you the official Obama Approved talking points upon request. They are generous like that. ;)

Forum List

Back