Democrats Plan to Legalize Marijuana in 2021

Not into it myself, am wondering whether federal legalization even matters these days?

View attachment 507057

It matters.

There is the IRS.

Also, federal employees are tested, as well as private employees whose companies are regulated by the federal government.

And federal law enforcement still presses charges for marijuana distribution. Possession is also illegal, but I doubt it is pursued for prosecution very frequently, unless the possession occurs on federal property.

The Fed probably wastes (arguably) a lot of taxpayer money on marijuana enforcement.

Perhaps if it were legal at the federal level, some Mexican drug smugglers would be out of jobs.

Interestingly, if the fed legalized it, states and localities would still be free to criminalize it.

You didn't have to. You have your little white victim two-step down, after decades of practice. We both knew what you meant. And we both know the childish, embarrassing "Who, me?" was coming directly after. You're really a million of a kind, son.

Yeah ... Whatever your pathetic little mind needs to make up, won't bother me.
It doesn't change the fact they are attempting to use Racial and Gender division/discrimination in Law, nor does it make it the right thing to do.

The issue is freaking crazy. You can't smoke a cigarette anywhere in the Big Apple without risking a $250 fine but you can smoke a freaking joint. Second hand cigarette smoke is alleged to be cancer causing but there are no statistics on marijuana smoke. Lefties want to outlaw a legal substance while legalizing a more potent drug. WTF is going on?

Second hand cigarette smoke is alleged to be cancer causing but there are no statistics on marijuana smoke.
Right, because the legality and stigma makes collecting data nearly impossible. You actually touch on something that is coming down the pike eventually.

The issue is freaking crazy. You can't smoke a cigarette anywhere in the Big Apple without risking a $250 fine but you can smoke a freaking joint. Second hand cigarette smoke is alleged to be cancer causing but there are no statistics on marijuana smoke. Lefties want to outlaw a legal substance while legalizing a more potent drug. WTF is going on?
Some have argued that one of the reasons is that, as usual, it's because large sums of money are involved.

Federal taxes on alcohol are quite significant...

Most people won't brew or distill their own alcohol, but lots of people would grow their own weed. Also, alcohol consumption tends to decrease where marijuana is legalized, but there are studies that dispute this too.

Also, federal employees are tested, as well as private employees whose companies are regulated by the federal government
Nearly all of the job testing can be chalked up to insurance companies. Want to save a few bucks on insurance? Implement testing.
I don't think so. Federal contracts require it in many cases. Also, the Code of Federal Regulations requires testing of certain workforces. Example:

Granted, pilots probably get randomly tested for alcohol too, though, which is legal.

I hesitate to even consider the ludicrous defense from the pot world that cigarette smoke might be toxic but marijuana is good for you.

I hesitate to even consider the ludicrous defense from the pot world that cigarette smoke might be toxic but marijuana is good for you.
Nobody is going to do that. Stop getting sand in your giney over things that haven't happened and won't happen.

It seems to help certain people with epilepsy and others with anxiety disorders, and there are ways to consume it that don't involve inhaling smoke.

They say a glass of wine a day is good for most people.

Cigarettes are highly addictive. Not sure about marijuana; I've seen both affirmative and negative claims.

I don't think so.
Then you are mistaken. Federal policy may be an exception, but nearly all private employers do it for cheaper insurance rates. That isn't going to change, just because it becomes legal.
Prove it, please.

Any company that receives a federal grant or contract is required to maintain a drug-free workplace, in compliance with the Durg-free workplace act of 1988.

Some insurance companies give a discount for having a strict drug-free workplace policy, sure, but there are plenty of other good reasons for employers to have such a policy, such as productivity, safety, reducing losses, etc.

"Democratic Senate leadership has a plan to legalize marijuana at the federal level at some point this year.

In a joint statement released Monday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden and Senator Cory Booker detailed how the Democratic-controlled upper chamber will prioritize federal marijuana legalization in the new Congress. They plan to introduce legislation in the coming weeks designed to establish a taxed and regulated cannabis market."

More at the link...

Last congress, a bill to legalize marijuana actually passed the House. It never came to the floor of the Senate...

So far this year, Republican Gregory Steube of Florida has introduced a bill to reclassify marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III. It has zero cosponsors, so it probably won't go anywhere...

The question is, if/when this happens, will Biden sign it? I suspect he will, despite his previous opposition to legalization, because he is a puppet.

Alcohol has been legal for a long time. 5% of deaths are alcohol related.

One thing I'd really like to know. If everyone on this board could not smoke weed for a month, what would it be like posting.

Same with strictly booze drinkers

What would Day 31 look like here. Just a friendly thought

Prove it, please.
Prove that drug testing lowers the worker comp insurance premiums? Okay. I mean, it's common knowledge, in the industry. Nobody is writing cutting edge articles on it. It's a bullet point in business primers. Several States now have laws regarding it, since the actuary tables show its pronounced effect on risk. In these states the testing is less necessary for the sole purpose of worker comp insurance.

What's the upside to legalizing the manufacture and distribution of the noxious weed? Don't piss down our backs and tell us it's raining tax revenue. The bureaucratic mess that would be created would be more expensive than the tax revenue gleaned from peddling this stuff.

All this "be productive" garbage is nauseating. I consider ingesting fast food as alot worse that smoking weed. Talk about driving up healthcare costs.

Also, federal employees are tested, as well as private employees whose companies are regulated by the federal government
Nearly all of the job testing can be chalked up to insurance companies. Want to save a few bucks on insurance? Implement testing.
Our company does have a random drug testing program because we are federally regulated to have one.

Not into it myself, am wondering whether federal legalization even matters these days?

View attachment 507057

It matters.

There is the IRS.

Also, federal employees are tested, as well as private employees whose companies are regulated by the federal government.

And federal law enforcement still presses charges for marijuana distribution. Possession is also illegal, but I doubt it is pursued for prosecution very frequently, unless the possession occurs on federal property.

The Fed probably wastes (arguably) a lot of taxpayer money on marijuana enforcement.

Perhaps if it were legal at the federal level, some Mexican drug smugglers would be out of jobs.

Interestingly, if the fed legalized it, states and localities would still be free to criminalize it.
Also, federal employees are tested,
33 years and i never was.....

Forum List

Back