Diversity Win: College Religion Department Hires Professor Who Believes In God

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Education·Sep 3, 2024 · BabylonBee.com
Click here to view this article with reduced ads.

1725470816656.png

PRINCETON, NJ — In a historic win for diversity, equity, and inclusion, Princeton University's religion department has just hired a professor who believes in God.

According to departmental sources, the decision represents a groundbreaking first for higher education across the nation, as nearly all major university religion departments have been staffed solely by atheists for the last century at least.

"We recognize that religion professors who believe in Christianity — or who are even theists — are majorly underrepresented in today's universities and colleges," said AnneMarie Luijendijk, William H. Danforth Professor of Religion and Head of New College West at Princeton. "We at Princeton are incredibly thrilled to be able to speak truth to power and share this moment as our new professor joins us. We promise to do our best to keep his voice from being marginalized and we look forward to supporting our underrepresented minority in his scholarship."

While the new professor, Dr. Mark Mattheson, has run into significant pushback from the student-led group "Atheists For Religion," most Princeton religion majors look forward to taking religion classes with a man who actually believes in God.

At publishing time, Princeton had scored another win for DEI by hiring an actual English professor into their English department.

View attachment 1006352

PRINCETON, NJ — In a historic win for diversity, equity, and inclusion, Princeton University's religion department has just hired a professor who believes in God.

According to departmental sources, the decision represents a groundbreaking first for higher education across the nation, as nearly all major university religion departments have been staffed solely by atheists for the last century at least.

"We recognize that religion professors who believe in Christianity — or who are even theists — are majorly underrepresented in today's universities and colleges," said AnneMarie Luijendijk, William H. Danforth Professor of Religion and Head of New College West at Princeton. "We at Princeton are incredibly thrilled to be able to speak truth to power and share this moment as our new professor joins us. We promise to do our best to keep his voice from being marginalized and we look forward to supporting our underrepresented minority in his scholarship."

While the new professor, Dr. Mark Mattheson, has run into significant pushback from the student-led group "Atheists For Religion," most Princeton religion majors look forward to taking religion classes with a man who actually believes in God.

At publishing time, Princeton had scored another win for DEI by hiring an actual English professor into their English department.
It can't be easy to find a highly educated person that believes in such nonsense.

They all need to at least pretend to believe in the god, but they don't need to actively push their beliefs onto others. In fact, it's demanded of them that they don't, at least to reasonable limits.

Any atheist can fulfill the requirements imposed by Christians as long as they're not forced to proclaim the X belief system.

Most societies have advanced to that point at least. Only harmless questions can be forced upon atheists to answer!

Christianity is continuously involved in attempting to strip that right away from atheists. New laws are needed to protect atheists from Christians attempting to force their beliefs on others!

When Conservatives try to be funny and why it fails?

The Babylon Bee is a conservative Christian news satire website that publishes satirical articles on topics including religion, politics, current events, and public figures. It has been referred to as a Christian or conservative version of The Onion.

Fails because it's coming from the wrong angle. The Onion satirized and poked fun at Bill Clinton, Joe Biden liberal sacred cows as well as at the right et al.

Like Dennis Miller who became a Yuge failure after turning into a partisan nitwit (yes many progressive attempts at comedy fall there too), the Bee is a failure. It speaks to the choir (pun intended).

View attachment 1006352

Happy to see you put this in Religion forum and not political satire.

You found one guy, from how many years ago?

Kinda makes the point...
Glad to see an education was never wasted on you.

There were just too damn many to list, so I stuck with the ones currently living.

Currently living​

[edit]

Biological and biomedical sciences​

[edit]

Chemistry​

[edit]
  • Peter Agre (born 1949): American physician, Bloomberg Distinguished Professor, and molecular biologist at Johns Hopkins University who was awarded the 2003 Nobel Prize in Chemistry (which he shared with Roderick MacKinnon) for his discovery of aquaporins. Agre is a Lutheran.[322][323]
  • Peter Budd (born 1957): British chemist and a professor in the Department of Chemistry at The University of Manchester.[324] His research in general is based on polymer chemistry, energy and industrial separation processes, specifically on the areas of Polymers of intrinsic microporosity (PIMs), energy storage, polyelectrolytes and separation membranes.[325][326][327]
  • Andrew B. Bocarsly (born 1954): American chemist known for his research in electrochemistry, photochemistry, solids state chemistry, and fuel cells. He is a professor of chemistry at Princeton University.[328]
  • Gerhard Ertl (born 1936): 2007 Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry. He has said in an interview that "I believe in God. (...) I am a Christian and I try to live as a Christian (...) I read the Bible very often and I try to understand it."[329]
  • Brian Kobilka (born 1955): American Nobel Prize winner of Chemistry in 2012, and is professor in the departments of Molecular and Cellular Physiology at Stanford University School of Medicine. Kobilka attends the Catholic Community at Stanford, California.[330] He received the Mendel Medal from Villanova University, which it says "honors outstanding pioneering scientists who have demonstrated, by their lives and their standing before the world as scientists, that there is no intrinsic conflict between science and religion".[331]
  • Artem R. Oganov (born 1975): Russian theoretical crystallographer, mineralogist, chemist, physicist, and materials scientist. He is a parishioner of St. Louis Catholic Church in Moscow.[332]
  • Jeffrey Reimer: American chemist who is Chair of the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department at University of California, Berkeley. He has authored over 250 publications, has been cited over 14,000 times, and has a Google Scholar H-index of 63. His research is primarily focused to generate new knowledge to deliver environmental protection, sustainability, and fundamental insights via materials chemistry, physics, and engineering.[333]
  • Henry F. Schaefer, III (born 1944): American computational and theoretical chemist, and one of the most highly cited scientists in the world with a Thomson Reuters H-Index of 116. He is the Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and director of the Center for Computational Chemistry at the University of Georgia.[334]

Physics and astronomy​

[edit]

Earth sciences​

[edit]

Engineering​

[edit]

Others​

[edit]

Glad to see an education was never wasted on you.

There were just too damn many to list, so I stuck with the ones currently living.

Currently living​

[edit]

Biological and biomedical sciences​

[edit]

Chemistry​

[edit]
  • Peter Agre (born 1949): American physician, Bloomberg Distinguished Professor, and molecular biologist at Johns Hopkins University who was awarded the 2003 Nobel Prize in Chemistry (which he shared with Roderick MacKinnon) for his discovery of aquaporins. Agre is a Lutheran.[322][323]
  • Peter Budd (born 1957): British chemist and a professor in the Department of Chemistry at The University of Manchester.[324] His research in general is based on polymer chemistry, energy and industrial separation processes, specifically on the areas of Polymers of intrinsic microporosity (PIMs), energy storage, polyelectrolytes and separation membranes.[325][326][327]
  • Andrew B. Bocarsly (born 1954): American chemist known for his research in electrochemistry, photochemistry, solids state chemistry, and fuel cells. He is a professor of chemistry at Princeton University.[328]
  • Gerhard Ertl (born 1936): 2007 Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry. He has said in an interview that "I believe in God. (...) I am a Christian and I try to live as a Christian (...) I read the Bible very often and I try to understand it."[329]
  • Brian Kobilka (born 1955): American Nobel Prize winner of Chemistry in 2012, and is professor in the departments of Molecular and Cellular Physiology at Stanford University School of Medicine. Kobilka attends the Catholic Community at Stanford, California.[330] He received the Mendel Medal from Villanova University, which it says "honors outstanding pioneering scientists who have demonstrated, by their lives and their standing before the world as scientists, that there is no intrinsic conflict between science and religion".[331]
  • Artem R. Oganov (born 1975): Russian theoretical crystallographer, mineralogist, chemist, physicist, and materials scientist. He is a parishioner of St. Louis Catholic Church in Moscow.[332]
  • Jeffrey Reimer: American chemist who is Chair of the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department at University of California, Berkeley. He has authored over 250 publications, has been cited over 14,000 times, and has a Google Scholar H-index of 63. His research is primarily focused to generate new knowledge to deliver environmental protection, sustainability, and fundamental insights via materials chemistry, physics, and engineering.[333]
  • Henry F. Schaefer, III (born 1944): American computational and theoretical chemist, and one of the most highly cited scientists in the world with a Thomson Reuters H-Index of 116. He is the Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and director of the Center for Computational Chemistry at the University of Georgia.[334]

Physics and astronomy​

[edit]

Earth sciences​

[edit]

Engineering​

[edit]

Others​

[edit]

How many on that list? How many of them working today? How many universities in this country?

Thanks again for making my points for me. I always appreciate a good assistant.

Maybe if you had gone to college yourself, you would have realized i didn't claim none existed.

A point worth considering: The Babylon Bee is no more satire than any religion or superstitious belief system.

That can be stated as fact, just as honestly as Christians stating otherwise. Therefore, I would contend that it's not appropriate for a moderator to move a thread out of the religion section, based only on his/her beliefs.

That amounts to Christianity imposing their beliefs on others. That's a complaint! A valid complaint?

A point worth considering: The Babylon Bee is no more satire than any religion or superstitious belief system.

That can be stated as fact, just as honestly as Christians stating otherwise. Therefore, I would contend that it's not appropriate for a moderator to move a thread out of the religion section, based only on his/her beliefs.

That amounts to Christianity imposing their beliefs on others. That's a complaint! A valid complaint?
Will they then force all of the writers on Babylon Bee to die on a cross like Christ and his followers?

Fake news is such a threat, isn't it, especially when about half their made up stories come true.

:auiqs.jpg:

So we are to believe that no current or previous college professor at this college believes in God?

Did anyone ask

Generally employers are prohibited to ask about religion

So we are to believe that no current or previous college professor at this college believes in God?

Did anyone ask

Generally employers are prohibited to ask about religion
If they don't want laughed at and fired they will keep their mouth shut

It is comparable to the former USSR. but there if you say you believed in God they would kill you.

Forum List

Back