Do It Like a Girl

As the father of 3 girls I found out that telling my daughters to stop doing something like a girl made them mad so I stopped doing it. I didn't realize that it was an actual put down to them because society looks at girls as the weaker sex. I worked with them and told them they should be proud of being girls and that girls are much stronger in some of the areas men are weak in. What can we do to empower our girls to embrace being girls and not masculine females?

The puberty ad by Always you'll want to show all kids - CNN.com

EASY, say "Honey, act like a WOMAN, and....." I remember the first time I heard someone, a teacher of mine, say "She would not face me LIKE A WOMAN, she....." My father said "No, I didn't want a boy, boys get into too much trouble, are not as dependible as women, honey". "Stop acting like a little kid, be a young woan like you should!"

Last edited:
I have two boys so I never encountered that "problem". Girls have a Uterus so why would anyone be surprised that they act and think differently?

When they hit Puberty they get all self conscious? This isn't a revelation, women have been acting this way forever. Because they're Women!

Women wanna' look pretty and get a guys attention. Guys wanna' achieve and get a girls attention. Why is it so hard for some to figger out the obvious?

Just look at what happens to people when they try to change what's natural. Accept who you are and just go with it.

I wanted to get straight As and beat every other student, in class that is, worked out great. :D

As the father of 3 girls I found out that telling my daughters to stop doing something like a girl made them mad so I stopped doing it. I didn't realize that it was an actual put down to them because society looks at girls as the weaker sex. I worked with them and told them they should be proud of being girls and that girls are much stronger in some of the areas men are weak in. What can we do to empower our girls to embrace being girls and not masculine females?

Adopt a 2 year old boy and enjoy the ride? Their diapers get stinky, but you have built in baby sitters.

]Empowerment and self-esteem is not something you give a girl. They are things girls need to earn in their OWN right.
[/COLOR]
Insist on effort. Insist that your girl strives to be best. Be sure she takes well-chosen risks. Encourage courage.

Do this and your girl will earn esteem for herself by what she accomplishes thru her own efforts.

Regards from Rosie
Not just girls, but all children. Self esteem should NEVER be given but earned.

In this world children are born pink or blue (boy/girl) not purple.

When men want to insult each other or make fun of each, they call them by a female slang term. And, there are many to choose from.

This fact is not lost on girls growing up.

Judaism recognizes 7 female prophets and that women have superior spirituality than males. As well as they're more gifted in prophesy.

Remind them too that they have a superpower - sex appeal. A woman can get horny men to do anything up to and including commit murder for the promsie of sex. :) Very few men have that superpower. Most every woman though does.

Blah, blah, blah. Maybe if you libs would stop promoting super-sexualized "entertainment," your kids wouldn't be so screwed up.

When men want to insult each other or make fun of each, they call them by a female slang term. And, there are many to choose from.

This fact is not lost on girls growing up.

That kind of begs the question, what do women call each other when they want to toss around insults?

This was your idea Luddly....

I am guitly of this.

I have a 15 year old daughter and she plays soccer and softball. Quite the powerhouse actually. She is defense. I "encourage" her to not play like a girly girl. If she wants to start and stay in the game.. she has to play the game with all her strength and skill. .. and that means not being delicate.

And i have used the insult of "stop being such a girl" with friends. Face it.. woman are more emotional and more dramatic than men, and soemtimes its really annoying.

But have you told her to embrace her inner boy and start dressing like Rachel Maddow? If not you have done nothing wrong.

I am guitly of this.

I have a 15 year old daughter and she plays soccer and softball. Quite the powerhouse actually. She is defense. I "encourage" her to not play like a girly girl. If she wants to start and stay in the game.. she has to play the game with all her strength and skill. .. and that means not being delicate.

And i have used the insult of "stop being such a girl" with friends. Face it.. woman are more emotional and more dramatic than men, and soemtimes its really annoying.

My daughter was also a softball and soccer player. She showed this to me a few months back.

Like a Girl: New Always Ad Plays on Gender Stereotypes #LikeAGirl - TIME

I have it on good authority that Mo'ne Davis throws like a girl.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/20/s...le-league-world-series-stardom-in-stride.html

Mo'ne is freaking awesome. :rock:
Sadly, the team lost tonight. Mo'ne struck out leading off the last inning. She was not happy.

BvajF-NIQAA3--i.jpg

Tell them to do it like Mo'ne Davis!

Mo’ne Davis throws like a girl, and it landed her the cover of Sports Illustrated.
The 13-year old pitcher, the first Little League athlete to appear on the cover of SI, has been making headlines around the world since she threw a shutout with her 70 mph fastball that sent her team, Philadelphia’s Taney Dragons, to the Little League World Series.

Why Is Everyone Talking About Little League Player Mo'ne Davis?

Forum List

Back