Zone1 Do you believe in Free Speech

Because I am a capitalist. Private industry is private industry. You seem to want to have the big bad government regulate social media because you believe you have a right to it. :rolleyes:

Utter madness.

We regulate private industry all the time. Since the government gives these companies protection from bad consequences of the speech, they can't claim it as their speech.
I see no evidence of government protecting these companies.

Section 230 - Wikipedia

Section 230 is a section of Title 47 of the United States Code that was enacted as part of the Communications Decency Act of 1996, which is Title V of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, and generally provides immunity for online computer services with respect to third-party content generated by its users. At its core, Section 230(c)(1) provides immunity from liability for providers and users of an "interactive computer service" who publish information provided by third-party users:

Sure. But who would put up with that? I mean, I would never do business with a company that spied on my phone calls, or tried to censor my political activities. Would you?

Then you would have to go without phones.

We regulate private industry all the time. Since the government gives these companies protection from bad consequences of the speech, they can't claim it as their speech.

Section 230 - Wikipedia
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Section 230 is your beef, repeal it. And stop whining about media companies that won't do what you want them to.

Seriously, I would support repealing 230. Because, it won't make any difference. The courts will settle on the same policy through case law, because it make sense. And then what will you whine about?

Section 230 prevents the government regulation you are so keen to bring to private industry.

No, it prevents carriers and platforms for getting sued or held criminally liable for 3rd party content.

It has nothing to do with government regulation except being government regulation.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If Section 230 is your beef, repeal it. And stop whining about media companies that won't do what you want them to.

Seriously, I would support repealing 230. Because, it won't make any difference. The courts will settle on the same policy through case law, because it make sense. And then what will you whine about?

And I'll say it again, if we let the left control all the means of discussion and information, they win.

Enjoy your cell.

Of course. Trash all your principles in the name of the motherfucking culture war. Great plan.

It's called being a realist. Principles are fine and dandy as a basis but sticking to them when all you become is a forgotten martyr is idiotic.

Forum List

Back