Do You Feel Lucky?

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
What if the way to tell how 'Godly' a Monkey is can be measured by how lucky a Monkey is?

Me? I consider myself to be one of the luckiest Monkeys to have ever been given the gift of a Sentient life.

I suppose that if there's an existence for my Monkey software after it's done driving my frail Monkey body around, I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased with where I end up, but I'm not counting on it - I've only got one life that I know of, so I prefer to live like I was dying.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNWg5DlWVa8]Live Like You Were Dying - The Bucket List (Music Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Are you afraid of death? :dunno: Does belief in an after-life help?

Just recently I have realized that I am indeed afraid of death. I didn't think I was, but as I get older and I see more and more people around my age pass, it touches me in a way of sadness and emptiness of life. All leads to the grave...so what is it worth? Where is the value? Is it integrity? Truth to self? Living a decent life that produced something of value?

Why are we here? I'm 56 years old and still trying to figure that one out. It just seems as if it's all for naught. Ecclesiastes...all is vanity.

Nope, not afraid of death by any means. I am just having a great life and do not want to go yet...:)

Just recently I have realized that I am indeed afraid of death. I didn't think I was, but as I get older and I see more and more people around my age pass, it touches me in a way of sadness and emptiness of life. All leads to the grave...so what is it worth? Where is the value? Is it integrity? Truth to self? Living a decent life that produced something of value?

Why are we here? I'm 56 years old and still trying to figure that one out. It just seems as if it's all for naught. Ecclesiastes...all is vanity.

Maybe the trick is to accept the gift for what it is instead of trying to figure out your role in some greater purpose.

Maybe the point is to take life by the horns and drive it like you stole it.

In thinking about it, my conclusion is that I've had a great ride and I'm not afraid of death... but I'm not currently facing death. Self delusion is always the easiest to pull off.

Maybe the trick is to accept the gift for what it is instead of trying to figure out your role in some greater purpose.

Perhaps, but if we don't attach real meaning to life...again...what good is it? Vanity.

Am I to take your comment to mean that you don't personally prescribe to the art of self introspection? Do you feel it's a self defeating endeavor at it's core?

That sort of sounds as if one is trying to outrun themselves so they don't have to take a close look at the meaning of their life. That in itself sort of sounds like "fear".

Last edited:

Perhaps, but if we don't attach real meaning to life...again...what good is it? Vanity.

Am I to take your comment to mean that you don't personally prescribe to the art of self introspection? Do you feel it's a self defeating endeavor at it's core?

That sort of sounds as if one is trying to outrun themselves so they don't have to take a close look at the meaning of their life. That in itself sort of sounds like "fear".

The meaning of life is really very simple. What do you want to be remembered for?

If there is no one to miss you when you die what have you passed on to the next generation(s)? Life is not about any great purpose. It is about making the lives of your friends and family a little better because you were a part of theirs. The love and friendship that you give and share with others is what endures.

As you said at the beginning, all else is vanity.

No and no.

Death is a natural part of life and should not be feared at all. Pain is something to be afraid of having to endure but death is a cessation of all pain and therefore the ultimate relief from pain too. If anything a swift death is preferable to a lingering painful one.

The illusion of an "after-life" means indulging in self deception. For those that need that "crutch" in order to deal with the tribulations of everyday life more power to them. For others it is just an impediment to making the most out of the only life we Monkeys will ever have.

Being true to ourselves is producing something of ourselves. The natural gifts we possess as individuals is the product in and of itself. Sharing those gifts with another whether family, friend or stranger promotes and preserves the society in which we chose to live in. For example, when I take my guitar and son and we sing a song for residents of a nursing home the joy that it brings to another then to ourselves cannot be measured in any temporal way.

The meaning of life is really very simple. What do you want to be remembered for?

But isn't "wanting to be remembered" for something vanity at it's base?

If there is no one to miss you when you die what have you passed on to the next generation(s)?

Needing or wanting someone to miss me when I'm gone boils down to vanity as well.

I believe what I have personally passed on to the next generation is life itself...(the birth of two children and two grandchildren so far from those prior births). Those two births are probably the most important thing I've ever done in my life towards the longevity of mankind!

Life is not about any great purpose. It is about making the lives of your friends and family a little better because you were a part of theirs.

Hmmmm...positive human interaction...I think that is something that there is less and less of what with all the virtual social sites nowadays. Face to face interactions are dwindling...they are certainly not what they used to be before the "technology" takeover.

And...I'm not so sure there shouldn't be some greater purpose in life than just going through the motions till you hit the cold, dark grave. It seems rather a waste that what we've spent our life learning just goes to the grave with us and lives no more. So...why the effort now when it become "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" in the end? In other words, the knowledge we gain in this life winds up in oblivion! The net gain in the end is zero.

However...I will concede that thinking that there should be real purpose in one's life may also be just vanity. So...it all seems rather circular in my mind, and going around in circles leads ultimately nowhere. So...what is life?

Being true to ourselves is producing something of ourselves. The natural gifts we possess as individuals is the product in and of itself. Sharing those gifts with another whether family, friend or stranger promotes and preserves the society in which we chose to live in. For example, when I take my guitar and son and we sing a song for residents of a nursing home the joy that it brings to another then to ourselves cannot be measured in any temporal way.

Very well said! Very well said indeed!

However...the gifts I feel I've been given seem very small. And...I'm not to sure they've always been appreciated by other parties either. :lol:

Pain is something to be afraid of having to endure but death is a cessation of all pain and therefore the ultimate relief from pain too. If anything a swift death is preferable to a lingering painful one.

Yeah...that too! Pain not good!!!

Very well said! Very well said indeed!

However...the gifts I feel I've been given seem very small. And...I'm not to sure they've always been appreciated by other parties either. :lol:

Small in your view, but how another may appreciate it, knowingly or not is, is the spirit in which the "gift" serves as it's utility. For example, saying a kind word may be something in your nature, an effortless mannerism you posses; to another that kind word could change their day, perhaps even their outlook. We really can never know just how we effect people. All I know is if I am true to my self others will undoubtedly benefit. People are not valueless everyone has something to offer something that will enhance the life of another should they choose to share it.

It has been said of me, to another, who told me, that "one thing I love about ____, is you always know where you stand with her."

I will be remembered as someone who brought laughter and honesty to others. Who made them feel better, in those moments we shared.

It is important to me to live my life with no regrets and that is how I conduct myself. Because I am not afraid of anything, much less dying, I am having a very adventurous life, and am strong because I feel this is all there is and so, I live it with gratitude. I have designed my life well and to my satisfaction. "Luck is the residue of design."

I stay mindful of a great quote:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Forum List

Back