Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
Sorry. I guess if it makes you feel better by believing this then so be it.
No one should have to work 14 hours per day for $.12 an hour.
The reason they do is because we choose the lowest price on the shelves...again and again.
If tomorrow Americans everywhere started choosing fair trade products and stopped buying products that use slave labor - then it would stop.
You could say the same thing about black slavery in the south in early America. They lived better as slaves here than in the jungles of Africa - but that doesn't make it any less wrong.

Please address Katz' point that if the $.12 an hour job were unavailable, the children might then have no means of support and would be more vulnerable to starvation or the sex trade.

That is a strawman argument that is a ludicrous and weak excuse to make you feel better. You support slave labor...you simply lack the character to admit it.

They aren't slaves. They can leave any time they want. They choose to work. But, for the record, I do support child labor.

I do not believe that an advanced degree is a guarantee for a job or position, it merely qualifies a person for a specific position.

Sure if a person works full time they should get the rewards that come with that position. Should someone does not and finds that untenable they should leave or find alternative employment. This shell game of switching hours or compelling employees to do more than they get paid for is a very old one. There are laws to protect employees and there is the free market to get a job or start a business. The world does not care whether I succeeded or have enough to pay my rent, that is my responsibility. I need to use all that is at my disposable whether it be job assistance, returning to school, working several jobs or whatever the situation calls for in order to maintain myself and survive in this world.

The US became the superpower that it is behind its middle class. That middle class was created by demanding that American workers be paid fair and reasonable wages for the work they did. We no longer back the American worker, and because of this, we are losing the middle class. The funniest thing about it is that we blame the poor workers for all of it. American business continues to shoot itself in the foot for the long run in the name of instant profit for the short run.

A "fair" wage has nothing to do with an employee's needs. Rather it has everything to do with the value of his/her services. Period.

I believe there are factors other than value of service involved in establishing what a fair wage may be, such as: cost of living factors, minimum wage laws, overtime payment laws etc...

I find it humorous how many talk like they never go to walmart yet lets face it they are mostly talking out of their ass. Like its suppose to be some dirty little secret that people like to save money LOL Only a fucking idiot pays more for something on purpose. Do you fools think it somehow makes you better then the rest that you act like you pay a dollar more for sugar? LMAO

The savings isn't that much. Other stores offer similar savings on almost everything.

More important is whether or not we support "Made in China" and slave wages. We can say we shop there to save money but really, that's a pretty empty argument. Shopping at WalMart is the way you say you really don't give a flip about your country or your fellow citizens.

Oh, and then there's the crappy China quality.

Why buy crap that will break, wear out, won't wear well? You may think you're saving money, but if you have to replace something sooner, you're really not.

Obviously, that's not the case if you're buying a brand name but I've found that Amazon is cheaper than almost anyplace else.

OTOH, there have been reports of problems with Amazon too.

And so it goes.

All stores sell the same crappy Chinese stuff because the United States actually has a very small manufacturing base. Government regulations sent most manufacturing out of the country.

The best way to know if someone is right or wrong in their opinions - is when they are accused of being a liberal on one day - and accused of being a right-winger the next.
In this thread I have been called a liberal a good dozen times - which is hilarious!!
To every single person who has labeled me this in this thread - you only show your own bias and lack of argument.

Can get any and all of that stuff at my local grocery store or even Kroger if I want to shop more upscale. I'm talking about crappy Wal-Mart brands like Mainstays and the like.

I only concern myself for getting the quality that I pay for, the rest is irrelevant. Based on what I've bought from Wal-Mart in the past, this has not been the case by and large.

Walmart does not just offer crappy walmart brands. I am not talking about that stuff

I make my comparisons with the exact same thing i get at lucky, safeway, wall greens, target ect. You cant beat walmart prices on national brand stuff.

I too purchase for quality... and can afford anything i want. And still shop at walmart. Why... becasue its the same thing at a better price.

I would be all for low prices if the stuff I bought from lasted half as long as advertised. That's my problem with Wal-mart and it's not just one store. Maybe its just my personally poor experiences with, but when you go to any store expecting to get the bang for your buck and you don't even get half that, the natural thing to do is stop shopping there. Period.

It depends on what you are shopping for. National brand stuff is the same as if you buy it at walmart or if you buy it elsewhere.

I don't buy their clothing.... but i would not expect it to last. I do not buy their furniture...as i would not expect it to last. However.. i put those things on the same level as the stuff target is selling.

The US became the superpower that it is behind its middle class. That middle class was created by demanding that American workers be paid fair and reasonable wages for the work they did. We no longer back the American worker, and because of this, we are losing the middle class. The funniest thing about it is that we blame the poor workers for all of it. American business continues to shoot itself in the foot for the long run in the name of instant profit for the short run.

A "fair" wage has nothing to do with an employee's needs. Rather it has everything to do with the value of his/her services. Period.

So you are good with Chinese people getting 50 cents an hour living in dorms etc.. so you can save a few cents on some product? How do you feel about child labor?

All if have to say about that is:

Apple

I believe there are factors other than value of service involved in establishing what a fair wage may be, such as: cost of living factors, minimum wage laws, overtime payment laws etc...

Yes, there are artificial impositions that force wages up. Which is why there is such a huge market for illegal aliens. When the service costs more than the value to the employer that job disappears. Depending on the size of the enterprise, it goes overseas, it goes to an illegal. It goes to an employee willing to work off the books.

I find it humorous how many talk like they never go to walmart yet lets face it they are mostly talking out of their ass. Like its suppose to be some dirty little secret that people like to save money LOL Only a fucking idiot pays more for something on purpose. Do you fools think it somehow makes you better then the rest that you act like you pay a dollar more for sugar? LMAO

The savings isn't that much. Other stores offer similar savings on almost everything.

More important is whether or not we support "Made in China" and slave wages. We can say we shop there to save money but really, that's a pretty empty argument. Shopping at WalMart is the way you say you really don't give a flip about your country or your fellow citizens.

made in china is not just a walmart thing....

I shop at ikea.... and most of it is made in china
I shop at target...and most of it is made in china
i shop at macys, nordstorms, sacks, neiman marcus....and it is made in china.
i shop at bed bath and beyond....and most of it is made in china
i shop at home depot and lowes...and most of it is made in china
i shop at mom and pops...and most of it is made in china..
Most ALL of my stainless steal restaurant small wear equipment.... is made in china

hell.... ralph lauran... his USA olympic uniforms... were made in china.

so blaming walmart for made in china is a strawman.

Why buy crap that will break, wear out, won't wear well? You may think you're saving money, but if you have to replace something sooner, you're really not.

Obviously, that's not the case if you're buying a brand name but I've found that Amazon is cheaper than almost anyplace else.

And so it goes.

name brand stuff....is made in china.

And i am pretty sure most of the stuff on amazon..... is made in china too. :tongue:

All stores sell the same crappy Chinese stuff because the United States actually has a very small manufacturing base. Government regulations sent most manufacturing out of the country.

that is becasue of unions.....

The average WalMart factory worker in Bangladesh makes $43 per month. On average, 14 hours per day.
Thank you for shopping at WalMart.
The Walton family is worth over $100 billion, gives less than 1% to charity, while 47% of WalMart employees children have no health insurance.

(Source, iamwhatiseem's signature)

They aren't slaves. They can leave any time they want. They choose to work. But, for the record, I do support child labor.

I suspect the "average Bangladesh WalMart wage is actually less than that but its true that people like the Waltons AND those who line up like little robots DO support the dead-end cruelty of child labor and of slave conditions for both children and adults.

katzen, you are morally and ethically bankrupt. I actually skip over most of your posts because I don't want to believe that people like you exist. (To be fair, there are a few others here who are filled with the same sad hatred and bitterness that seems to eat at you.)

Yes, they are slaves. In this economy or any other, there simply are not jobs for a certain segment of our society. That does not mean we should value them less or pay them truly slave wages.

The fact is that individuals don't really have a lot of power over their immediate world. Most of us have no choice but to put up with landlords, banks, bosses, etc. But, one place where we have the ultimate control is how we choose to spend our money.

I've boycotted Proctor and Gamble for more than 30 years. Have they missed me? Nope. But, I can look at myself in the mirror.

No they don't. And, how many times do you have to be told to turn off fox?

have you checked to see where your tv was made? Or your cell phone? Or its charger? Ever owned an ipod? Iphone? Ipad? other tablet? Checked where all the boards in your computer were made? I think you get my point.

that is becasue of unions.....

Partly. Unions have a big share of blame, but regulations have been choking off jobs for years. Many times factories are out of the United States because regulations have made manufacture in the United States impossible. The government told Gibson Guitars to move to Madagascar if it wanted to stay in business.

The average WalMart factory worker in Bangladesh makes $43 per month. On average, 14 hours per day.
The Walton family is worth over $100 billion, gives less than 1% to charity, while 47% of WalMart employees children have no health insurance.

(Source, iamwhatiseem's signature)

I suspect the "average Bangladesh WalMart wage is actually less than that but its true that people like the Waltons AND those who line up like little robots DO support the dead-end cruelty of child labor and of slave conditions for both children and adults.

katzen, you are morally and ethically bankrupt. I actually skip over most of your posts because I don't want to believe that people like you exist. (To be fair, there are a few others here who are filled with the same sad hatred and bitterness that seems to eat at you.)

Yes, they are slaves. In this economy or any other, there simply are not jobs for a certain segment of our society. That does not mean we should value them less or pay them truly slave wages.

The fact is that individuals don't really have a lot of power over their immediate world. Most of us have no choice but to put up with landlords, banks, bosses, etc. But, one place where we have the ultimate control is how we choose to spend our money.

I've boycotted Proctor and Gamble for more than 30 years. Have they missed me? Nope. But, I can look at myself in the mirror.

No they don't. And, how many times do you have to be told to turn off fox?

I elected to turn you off instead.

California leads the nation in job killing regulations.

Job Killers 2012 - California Chamber of Commerce

Walmart does not just offer crappy walmart brands. I am not talking about that stuff

I make my comparisons with the exact same thing i get at lucky, safeway, wall greens, target ect. You cant beat walmart prices on national brand stuff.

I too purchase for quality... and can afford anything i want. And still shop at walmart. Why... becasue its the same thing at a better price.

I would be all for low prices if the stuff I bought from lasted half as long as advertised. That's my problem with Wal-mart and it's not just one store. Maybe its just my personally poor experiences with, but when you go to any store expecting to get the bang for your buck and you don't even get half that, the natural thing to do is stop shopping there. Period.

It depends on what you are shopping for. National brand stuff is the same as if you buy it at walmart or if you buy it elsewhere.

I don't buy their clothing.... but i would not expect it to last. I do not buy their furniture...as i would not expect it to last. However.. i put those things on the same level as the stuff target is selling.

Given the price for their clothing, it lasts plenty long enough for my expectations of everyday, "doing the work of my life" clothes. And I've found that the clothes I buy my 3-year-old there last MORE than long enough to be a great value for what they cost.

That being said, if I'm looking for something other than "I need some t-shirts to throw on while I clean the house", I'm probably not shopping at WalMart for them.

We are losing the middle class because more and more of the middle class is being forced into government dependency. The government answer is to pay as much in dependency as the middle class used to make by working.

In reality, no one cares that someone in Bangladesh is making $43.00 a month because $43.00 a month is a substantial middle class lifestyle in Bangladesh. Having ten year olds working 14 hour days is an acceptable trade off to having ten year olds pedaling their ten year old asses on the street for 25 cents a roll. In Bangladesh there is no government provided welfare. It may feel noble to liberals to have these kids dying of starvation in back alleys, but it really is better for them to work 14 hour days. It's okay if you choose to die for the cause, it is not okay to demand that someone else die for YOUR cause.

very well said! :clap2:

Ditto.

And so it goes.

name brand stuff....is made in china.

And i am pretty sure most of the stuff on amazon..... is made in china too. :tongue:

:eek::eek:

Ya Think?

Forum List

Back