Try to satisfy the appetites in vain
Look into the eyes of a child to redeem
Sing merrily this life is but a dream
One morning i woke up my ear could could hear what
When no one was listening those people who spoke up
Inside of every whisper was a scream
Of how alone when no one listens so it seems
All i have to offer back is my ear and a song
Singing merrily this life is but a dream...

I can imagine emergencies visiting hospitals. I can understand why the processes of refining oil cannot be suspended. I appreciate that some governmental services must be on guard and at post 24 hours a day.

What I cannot imagine is the absolute necessity to tear folks away from their families just to open a store on Thanksgiving evening. Unless, of course, families don't count as much as the bottom line.

Because you keep up with the competition or you lose market share which also costs people jobs. Again, our local Wal-mart has employees begging to take holiday shifts because they receive premium wages to do so. They don't feel torn away from their families. They want the work. I, and probably you, grew up in towns where they rolled up the sidewalks on Saturday night and nothing was open on Sunday. I remember the blue laws in which it was illegal to be open or to sell most products on Sundays or other special days.

But once one business opened up after church on Sunday, folks patronized that business and the experiment was successful like crazy. And others wanted in on that gravy train so that now in most places, Sunday is little different from any other day throughout the country. The super market who opened up on Thanksgiving morning or Christmas morning for a few hours so that folks who forgot that important ingredient could come get it realized huge profits in doing so. And now in these crappy economic times, a lot of stores are starting black Friday on Thanksgiving evening to get ahead of the game. Again, Wal-mart has to do the same or they lose out on market share.

All businesses do what they have to do to get customers in the door. When they stop doing that, a lot of the jobs people are depending on will go away.

good them we can come up with something better than this consumer maddness

And what would that be? Whatever happened to the concept of the customer is always right? If people didn't WANT the consumer madness, there wouldn't be any.

That's why I don't understand why some want to demonize Wal-mart instead of the people who shop there. If Wal-mart was not providing what their customers want and expect, then Wal-mart goes away along with the tens of thosuands of jobs it provides. And then some other enterprise that does provide what the customers want and expect moves in and such enterprise might or might not be as product and customer friendly as Wal-mart.

But usually the free market shakes these things out pretty well and while none of us probably get everything we want, the best possible system for the largest number of people usually falls into place.

If you work at Walmart and are not in mamagement, then it's time for you to admit you have made some poor life choices. YOU made the choices, not Walmart. Stop blaming Walmart for your mistakes and stop asking Walmart to subsidize them.

Did you get a big ole tattoo on your neck that says "Fuck You"?
Do you believe that grammar is racist and refuse to stop talking like your standing in the ghetto?
Do you lack education because you had the first of your 9 kids when you were 15?
Do you lack job experience except for working 10 years in a prison laundry?
Do you just seem to have trouble getting up in time for work?
Do you like to just not show up for work some days?

None of this is Walmart's fault but Walmart is probably one of the few companies that would tolerate some of this behavior, the trade off is that you don't get paid squat. Don't expect sympathy when you go on strike to try to get wages the same as people who made something of their lives.

Your average stop-n-rob convenience store clerk runs in the same track.

I can imagine emergencies visiting hospitals. I can understand why the processes of refining oil cannot be suspended. I appreciate that some governmental services must be on guard and at post 24 hours a day.

What I cannot imagine is the absolute necessity to tear folks away from their families just to open a store on Thanksgiving evening. Unless, of course, families don't count as much as the bottom line.

Because you keep up with the competition or you lose market share which also costs people jobs. Again, our local Wal-mart has employees begging to take holiday shifts because they receive premium wages to do so. They don't feel torn away from their families. They want the work. I, and probably you, grew up in towns where they rolled up the sidewalks on Saturday night and nothing was open on Sunday. I remember the blue laws in which it was illegal to be open or to sell most products on Sundays or other special days.

But once one business opened up after church on Sunday, folks patronized that business and the experiment was successful like crazy. And others wanted in on that gravy train so that now in most places, Sunday is little different from any other day throughout the country. The super market who opened up on Thanksgiving morning or Christmas morning for a few hours so that folks who forgot that important ingredient could come get it realized huge profits in doing so. And now in these crappy economic times, a lot of stores are starting black Friday on Thanksgiving evening to get ahead of the game. Again, Wal-mart has to do the same or they lose out on market share.

All businesses do what they have to do to get customers in the door. When they stop doing that, a lot of the jobs people are depending on will go away.

Oh! I see! Wal Mart is performing a valuable service to their employees by opening their stores on Thanksgiving evening! The employees are hap hap happy to leave their families and go in for another work day! The community is happy because all those pesky family dinners can finally be abandoned and more profits can be made!

Is this what Conservatives meant when they said "Let's take our country back!"?

I suppose the employees who are protesting Wal Mart's opening on Thanksgiving are nothing more than Communist agitators looking to besmirch the great tradition of leaving your family on holidays to go and stock shelves with Elmos and cans of motor oil.

Yes. The employees in our closest Wal-mart ASKED to be assigned to the Holiday shift because they wanted the extra money. Valuable service to the customers? Who knows. I think this is the first year retailers are starting Black Friday on Thanksgiving night. If it is successful, then it may or may not become a new tradition. If it isn't successful, then they won't do it anymore.

Nobody is protesting in Albuquerque about working on Thanksgiving. But you can bet any picket lines at any Wal-marts are absolutely being stirred up by union agitators, and are being partially funded, aided and abetted by the George Soros funded Moveon.org. And even the mainstream media admits that the numbers protesting include former Wal-mart employees who have no dog in the fight and that the overall numbers represent a tiny fraction of the Wal-mart workforce.
http://www.mrc.org/articles/news-guild-soros-funded-group-encourage-walmart-strike

I am all for living and let live. If people don't want to work at Wal-mart, work someplace else. If people don't want to shop at Wal-mart, shop someplace else.

But then I'm apparently a rotten, selfish, greedy Conservative in your eyes. So what do I know?

Nah; I got it. :)

The thing is, we all depend on government, none more so than businesses. Schools, largely funded by home owners, educate our work force. Roads and transit bring our workers to and from the jobsite, our products to market, and customer to our doorstep. Food assitance keep folks coming into our grocery stores. Gravy abounds, if you're paying attention, which the more successful companies do, religiously.
Labor has always been a commodity.
Not the individual people, but the cost of labor.

Nope; it stopped being that when we enacted the Federal Minimum Wage and other labor regs.

Excuse me.. Could you post that again? I can't believe my eyes!

I hadn't been to Walmart since the 2nd week in September--50 % off on solar lights. That weekend I went to two one 15 minutes from my house the other a 30 minute expressway trip. Smooth sailing--I got what I wanted for the price I wanted and left--no problems.

Today I wanted a 5 Guys Hamburger located in the Walmart shopping center. Traffic was incredible --someone was pulling out of a space in front of 5 Guys--that was good. I got the hamburger and left---long line sitting/waiting ----I started to back up. A jerk in a little white T-shirt was walking behind the cars---screamed at me and I screamed back. 'What did you call me?' I said the bad words again-so he said a few to me. My dog began barking hysterically--16lbs lbs but very protective of the car and me. Rolled up the window --he would not stop harassing me.

Walmart shoppers are diverse. I don't care for that particular model. Lots of Hispanics shop there--the International Corridor/Chamblee is minutes away. Sometimes when you pull in the police cars are there---taking people away. At this Walmart customers aren't allowed to check themselves out. You must drive 30-45 minutes north on the expressway to reach a Walmart that allows self check-out.

Do I plan to hurry back to the closest Walmart? The chances are real good that they will not see me at all this year. Let the Jerk provide economic support. If you cannot handle the responsibilities of a pedestrian then just stay home. Walk between cars in a parking lot at your own peril---once children were taught this. I can only assume that he has 'challenges'--makes many poor decisions?

He may have been an idiot for walking where he did, but you were an idiot for not watching for a pedestrian. They do have the right of way, you know...
Then you compound your idiocy by cussing at him, thereby escalating the situation into something that could have resulted in physical violence.
I don't see why this would cause you to not shop at Wal-Mart, unless perhaps, you are too embarrassed to be seen there after your performance today.
Not quite. Pedestrians have the right of way in designated crosswalks ONLY. Jay walking is still a misdemeanor. Parking lots are quite popular with insurance frauds. And those looking for a quick buck through litigation.
Now, if a person is walking through a parking lot, they have an absolute responsibility to watch for moving cars. Parents should be holding the hands of their small children.
Not that this is an issue on where one would or would not choose to shop.

Why would anyone struggle with such a question?

Was it ethical to offer a better product at a lower price?

Um, yeah - it sure was.

The reality of life is that an old tyme blacksmith working iron in a coal driven furnace makes us all tingly inside, but for products, a forge with with thousands of workers puts out better quality at a fraction of the cost.

Same thing with retailing, little local retailers are quaint, but aren't efficient in logistics or supply chain management. Economies of scale.

Oh I know, but just as computers and e-mail have displaced the pleasure of actually receiving a hand written letter from a loved one, and Facebook and other modern phenomena have too often replaced getting together with friends just to be together, there are many pleasures that exist only in nostalgia these days. But it is hard to let them go.

I grew up in small towns where you knew every shop owner, and you would visit almost all of them before your Christmas shopping and preparations were done. And it was a pure joy and social experience. There was an intimacy and human touch that will never be matched by an impersonal big box store however much we appreciate the one stop shopping. So shopping isn't the pleasant social experience it once was. And the older I get, the more distant I feel from most of the hundreds of people who live near me. And all that comes with a sense of loss.

But that still isn't Wal-marts fault. :)

People should consider that that lifestyle isn't dying out because WalMart came along and killed it, but because people rejected it and demanded that there be stores like WalMart instead.

It's like blaming huge suburban supermarkets for killing the A & P, simply because they appeared around the time A & P went out of business. It wasn't their fault; it was the people who wanted to move away from urban areas into the suburbs, and demanded stores that fit with their new lifestyles.

A&P..You have got to be from the Northeast..Possibly the NY Metro area or just outside of it.

sometimes, but only for the fashion.

LOL!

I used to get clothes at Wal Mart. Then I realized that it was cheaper for my to buy more expensive clothing somewhere else because the durability of the clothes at Wal-Mart is practically non-existent. A $50 pair of pants that lasts 5 years is cheaper than a $10 pair that lasts 6 months.

Sure is..But Wranglers are Wranglers no matter where you buy them
Your approach is the uneducated assumption that discount retailers do not sell name brand items. Such is not the case.

All minimum wage did was change the cost of labor and add some additional dynamics. Labor is still a commodity as much as any other cost of doing business and any business person who is at all competent must factor in the cost of labor including payroll taxes, labor based insurance costs, costs of training, benefits, and all other costs related to labor when he or she fixes his/her prices. It is a buyers market for the employer when the economy is crappy and unemployment is high and he/she can be much more picky about who gets hired and the workers have much less option about where then can work and what their earnings and benefits will be. It is a sellers market for the worker when the economy is good and there is full employment--he/she has much more option to sell his/her labor the highest bidder.

Wal-mart is no different than the mom and pop store when setting wages and benefits and calculating how to manage these to maximize profits. And do not think the mom and pop store is any more noble or magnanimous in being willing to pay more than it has to in order to follow a business plan and meet goals.

What other commodities have price minimums? Or requirements such as matching payroll taxes, meeting safety and health requirements, mandatory break periods and so on down the line?

The American people are not a commodity no matter who wishes they were. And efforts to commoditize workers merely makes America more South American-like, which hurts both workers and businesses, while making the country less secure.

Now one more time read this and understand...No one stated "people" are a commodity.
The labor people preform is the commodity.
Labor has ALWAYS been a commodity.
Labor has a cost. And as with other costs, wage control is a priority in any business model.

What other commodities have price minimums? Or requirements such as matching payroll taxes, meeting safety and health requirements, mandatory break periods and so on down the line?

The American people are not a commodity no matter who wishes they were. And efforts to commoditize workers merely makes America more South American-like, which hurts both workers and businesses, while making the country less secure.

Ahh, emotion-driven arguments. We were so DESPERATELY in need of yet another purveyor of this illogical garbage. :eusa_clap:

The irony of that purely rhetorical horseshit reply is surely not lost on me. How about you?

What? Your illogical posts? Not lost on us for sure.

Sounds well thought out. If you live in a small town and Wal Mart is the only game in town, simply move your family, sell your house, pull your kids out of school, quit your church, say goodbye to your family and friends and get another job!

Don't Conservatives claim to LOVE family and family values? Tradition and continuity? If you work at Wal Mart and are called in to work on Thanksgiving evening, ruining your family celebration and removing you from the traditional get togethers, how family friendly is that?

Seems Conservatives don't give a rat's ass about family or tradition or continuity. What really matters to them is profit, screwing workers and demeaning their rights, applauding management and hoping that those poor old CEOs can retain their staggeringly high bonuses and staggeringly low tax rates. Yes sir! Family be damned if there's a profit to be made!

Setting aside for a moment your contempt for all us conservatives and your low opinion of us. . .

Daughter has a government job that more than once has required her to work through holidays. Can we condemn the goverrnment for that or can we assume she knew the drill when she took the job? Son works for a major oil company and he will be on call this Thanksgiving and could be called in for any issues or problems that come up. Shall we condemn the oil companies for not spending mega millions to shut down a refinery because it is Thanksigivng Day?

I spent a lot of years working in hospitals and yes, we were all expected to take turns working on the holidays. I suppose we could have just closed the hospital on Thanksgiving, but oh well. . . .might as well stay open and take care of sick people.

So yes. You can remove the Wal-mart and have no jobs at all in your small community--that is the case in almost every single little burg around here that could no longer support any kind of commerce and industry--or you can appreciate that there are jobs provided by the Wal-mart.

If it was not Wal-mart there, it would be some other big box store providing the large selection and affordable prices that the people demand. And if you didn't have a Wal-mart nearby, there is no guarantee that the more compassionate mom and pop stores that close on Sundays and holidays would be able to survive either because the country has changed and people are willing to driving longer distances to acquire the products they want.

P.S. Our local Wal-mart pays overtime to employees who work the holiday shifts and generally have more people volunteering to take those shifts than they need.

Because YOUR family is YOUR problem. THEIR problem is their customers, who want to be able to run out and grab what they forgot the night before, or who maybe just want to get out of the house - WITH family members, usually - and do a little Christmas browsing.

Get the fuck over the idea that businesses exist - or should exist - to perpetuate your hopelessly idealized "Ozzy and Harriet" view of how the world should work, even if you've got to pass laws and FORCE everyone to be 1950s happy.

WalMart's CUSTOMERS want them to be open on Thanksgiving. If they didn't, WalMart wouldn't make enough money that day to make it worth opening. WalMart serves its CUSTOMERS, not its employees. If you want to shop somewhere where the employees matter more than you, as the customer, do, go for it. The rest of us are not interested.

If you work at Walmart and are not in mamagement, then it's time for you to admit you have made some poor life choices. YOU made the choices, not Walmart. Stop blaming Walmart for your mistakes and stop asking Walmart to subsidize them.

Did you get a big ole tattoo on your neck that says "Fuck You"?
Do you believe that grammar is racist and refuse to stop talking like your standing in the ghetto?
Do you lack education because you had the first of your 9 kids when you were 15?
Do you lack job experience except for working 10 years in a prison laundry?
Do you just seem to have trouble getting up in time for work?
Do you like to just not show up for work some days?

None of this is Walmart's fault but Walmart is probably one of the few companies that would tolerate some of this behavior, the trade off is that you don't get paid squat. Don't expect sympathy when you go on strike to try to get wages the same as people who made something of their lives.

Your average stop-n-rob convenience store clerk runs in the same track.
fuck you.

good them we can come up with something better than this consumer maddness

"Better" as defined by whom? You? Because obviously, the rest of us LIKE this "consumer madness" you decry, or it wouldn't exist.

Oh! I see! Wal Mart is performing a valuable service to their employees by opening their stores on Thanksgiving evening! The employees are hap hap happy to leave their families and go in for another work day! The community is happy because all those pesky family dinners can finally be abandoned and more profits can be made!

Is this what Conservatives meant when they said "Let's take our country back!"?

I suppose the employees who are protesting Wal Mart's opening on Thanksgiving are nothing more than Communist agitators looking to besmirch the great tradition of leaving your family on holidays to go and stock shelves with Elmos and cans of motor oil.

No, WalMart is not performing ANY "service" to their employees, because they DON'T EXIST TO SERVE THEIR EMPLOYEES. That's the part you can't wrap your two brain cells around. They are performing a service to their customers, who have made it clear that they WANT WalMart open on holidays. Their employees, who are PART of WalMart, however much you want to pretend the two are utterly separate and divorced, are HELPING to perform that service to the customers, because THEY, like their bosses up the management chain, want the benefits that come with providing that service, including the continued operation of the store which is trading them a paycheck for their work.

I'd bet most of the people who are working the holidays at WalMart ARE pretty happy to be there, and if you ask them, will tell you what they're planning to do with the extra money their holiday differential pay is going to put into their paycheck. I'll further bet that most of them are going to spend that money on their families, the ones YOU pretend to be championing in your zeal to cut their available work hours in service to some fuzzy-wuzzy "It's a Wonderful Life" throwback you have stuck in your head.

We've had years when I much preferred having that extra money in the paycheck to having your so-holy "family dinner" together. We just ate dinner later, and thanked God the employer in question was offering holiday hours.

Oh I know, but just as computers and e-mail have displaced the pleasure of actually receiving a hand written letter from a loved one, and Facebook and other modern phenomena have too often replaced getting together with friends just to be together, there are many pleasures that exist only in nostalgia these days. But it is hard to let them go.

I grew up in small towns where you knew every shop owner, and you would visit almost all of them before your Christmas shopping and preparations were done. And it was a pure joy and social experience. There was an intimacy and human touch that will never be matched by an impersonal big box store however much we appreciate the one stop shopping. So shopping isn't the pleasant social experience it once was. And the older I get, the more distant I feel from most of the hundreds of people who live near me. And all that comes with a sense of loss.

But that still isn't Wal-marts fault. :)

People should consider that that lifestyle isn't dying out because WalMart came along and killed it, but because people rejected it and demanded that there be stores like WalMart instead.

It's like blaming huge suburban supermarkets for killing the A & P, simply because they appeared around the time A & P went out of business. It wasn't their fault; it was the people who wanted to move away from urban areas into the suburbs, and demanded stores that fit with their new lifestyles.

A&P..You have got to be from the Northeast..Possibly the NY Metro area or just outside of it.

Nope. I'm just educated, and the disappearance of the A & P is a pretty standard example in economics classes of how the market changes; how any business, no matter how large and powerful, can miss one market change and die; and how there's no such thing as a monopoly in a free market.

Just reading this at Huffpo and looking at the comments. Made me wonder if people who disapprove of Walmart still shop there.

Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement

No person is forced to work or shop at Walmart. If don't like working at Walmart, get another job, you idiot.
If you do not like how Walmart treats their employees, then don't shop there ass holes.

Sounds well thought out. If you live in a small town and Wal Mart is the only game in town, simply move your family, sell your house, pull your kids out of school, quit your church, say goodbye to your family and friends and get another job!

Don't Conservatives claim to LOVE family and family values? Tradition and continuity? If you work at Wal Mart and are called in to work on Thanksgiving evening, ruining your family celebration and removing you from the traditional get togethers, how family friendly is that?

Seems Conservatives don't give a rat's ass about family or tradition or continuity. What really matters to them is profit, screwing workers and demeaning their rights, applauding management and hoping that those poor old CEOs can retain their staggeringly high bonuses and staggeringly low tax rates. Yes sir! Family be damned if there's a profit to be made!

Lots of people do it. As matter of fact, uprooting one's self and family to find a better life elsewhere is part of American history.
It doesn't matter if it's cross country or cross town.
I knew this response was coming. Walmart being the only game in town..
As anyone knows this is highly improbable and illogical.
If a retailer the size of a Walmart were the only retailer, the only business in town, the Walmart's business would be so off, the store would not stay in business.

What the hell is up with all this run-amok nostalgia? It's all very well and good to have a warm, fuzzy feeling in your tummy and a tear in your eye when you think about "back in the day", but this idea that we're supposed to reverse all technological and economic change to strand ourselves forever at that point - whatever point it was, because people don't even agree about THAT - is just ludicrous.

Just because I remember fondly a time when my life wasn't full of cell phones jangling everywhere I go and rude people carrying on personal conversations at the top of their lungs right next to me in the supermarket does NOT mean I want to go back to a time when having my car break down meant a five-mile walk to the nearest payphone to call for help.

Get a grip, you anti-capitalist weirdos.

Setting aside for a moment your contempt for all us conservatives and your low opinion of us. . .

Daughter has a government job that more than once has required her to work through holidays. Can we condemn the goverrnment for that or can we assume she knew the drill when she took the job? Son works for a major oil company and he will be on call this Thanksgiving and could be called in for any issues or problems that come up. Shall we condemn the oil companies for not spending mega millions to shut down a refinery because it is Thanksigivng Day?

I spent a lot of years working in hospitals and yes, we were all expected to take turns working on the holidays. I suppose we could have just closed the hospital on Thanksgiving, but oh well. . . .might as well stay open and take care of sick people.

So yes. You can remove the Wal-mart and have no jobs at all in your small community--that is the case in almost every single little burg around here that could no longer support any kind of commerce and industry--or you can appreciate that there are jobs provided by the Wal-mart.

If it was not Wal-mart there, it would be some other big box store providing the large selection and affordable prices that the people demand. And if you didn't have a Wal-mart nearby, there is no guarantee that the more compassionate mom and pop stores that close on Sundays and holidays would be able to survive either because the country has changed and people are willing to driving longer distances to acquire the products they want.

P.S. Our local Wal-mart pays overtime to employees who work the holiday shifts and generally have more people volunteering to take those shifts than they need.

There are tons of people who's holidays are not OUR holidays.
My work also involves the risk of "being torn away" from family on holidays. This is the business I have chosen.
Farmers who raise animals do not get a day off because the animals must be fed and watered.
TV and Radio workers and talent must work. Utility companies must man plants and other facilities.
While I disagree with the need to shop on a day such as Thanksgiving. Those that work retail should have expected this. That is the business they have chosen.

Forum List

Back