Do you think you are smarter than your parents?

My parents are both smarter than me....that’s not saying much

Well, the only people I have to compare myself to are my Grandparents, as I was orphaned at 8.

That being said, it would depend on what you call "smart". If you are looking at education, I would say that I was much better educated than my Grandparents. But, if you are talking about general knowledge overall and common sense? My Grandparents had me beat hands down. My Grandfather was a master mechanic and welder who could do amazing things with cars and metal. My Grandmother was the type of cook who could whip up a whole meal out of damn near nothing, and it would be filling and taste good. She was also amazing with her garden, and knew how to store and preserve food. She canned damn near everything that came out of the garden (and it was 2 acres).

If you wanted to know who would survive best in modern times? Probably me, because I learned about all sorts of technical stuff. But, if the world went dark and you had to survive like they did before electricity? My Grandparents would win that one hands down, because between the two of them, they could grow food, build houses (my Grandfather built 2 of them), and keep the machinery running in top condition.

If you do, you are probably a "progressive" who came from an intellectually vacant family and were an empty vessel into which liberal propaganda was filled.
Am I right?

You are wrong. I picked up on a particularly bright vein that ran in my mother's side of the family. My mother did not.
I have college degrees + 35 years of further education.
My parents were only high school educated. My mother was only a housewife. My father, a WWII vet, a butcher.
My parents were good people and "smart" in their own way about certain things, but not smart. Their world was in the 40s, 50s and 60s.
I'm as conservative as the day is long.

If you do, you are probably a "progressive" who came from an intellectually vacant family and were an empty vessel into which liberal propaganda was filled.

Am I right?

??? jwoodie
My parents, both immigrants, taught the same work ethics
to become self-reliant and self-responsible (as Conservatives advocate),
but also committed to helping the community to ensure help
and access to support for the poor and minority communities in need
(where this focus is where liberals and Democrats tend to dominate).

I believe in balancing both and identify as both Progressive Democrat
as well as Constitutionalist advocating for self govt, cooperative economics, and equal
empowerment of citizens through knowledge and enforcement of laws directly.

I would say my parents were smarter and harder working than I am.
I burn out because of trying to do too much in different communities
all crying out for help at the same time. So I'm not as effective as
my parents in staying focused. But with help of others to build cohesive
teams, I believe we can do more than our parents did because we have
more resources and ability to organize through media than generations before us.

Am I right?
My parents sacrificed and worked hard to send four kids to college

We had benefits they never had

Am I right?

I used to. Trouble is, I got tired of them proving me wrong. Am I more tech-savvy than my folks? Seems so. But you never know with Boomers and their pretend calls for middle-of-the-night tech-support. One reads on a Kindle, the other thinks we're unaware of their net surfing adroitness. Meh . . . it's a crapshoot to be honest.

Am I right?
My parents sacrificed and worked hard to send four kids to college

We had benefits they never had

And that is the American way, and while I despise your politics, your parents were great people; great Americans!

Am I right?
Well, we ain't starved to death yet..
We need to save money since all of the social programs has stopped all of the problems. But we do not stop programs when started and fifty years of this has ended the hunger issues in our population. First we need to stop free breakfasts and lunches in schools. Back to bag lunches. Agree!

Am I right?
We need to save money since all of the social programs has stopped all of the problems. But we do not stop programs when started and fifty years of this has ended the hunger issues in our population. First we need to stop free breakfasts and lunches in schools. Back to bag lunches. Agree!
Nope cause on a warm day a melted cheese, baloney and mayo sandwich sucks...

Am I right?
HaHa! But if you are not? What are you. JW?

Am I right?
Nope cause on a warm day a melted cheese, baloney and mayo sandwich sucks...

But on a warm day, a pickled salad and cucumber snamich is the best.

Am I right?
Different smarts than my parents....they certainly were not tech savvy like we have to be now. But they were children of the Depression and they had some pretty good smarts when it came to conserving and not wasting things or time. My hat is totally off to them for that lesson they gave us.

Parents have a great deal of info to pass on. That being said I am astounded at how tech savvy, smart, and hard working this new generation entering the workforce is. Employers have it disgustingly easy to find good workers.

Am I right?

Smarter at some things than others. My mom who is dead now could do crazy math in her head like the kid from Good Will Hunting. I was good at math--usually at or near the top even stacked against the Asian kids--but not like her.

Am I right?
HaHa! But if you are not? What are you. JW?

Am I right?
Haha! Answer your own question.

"Do you think* you are smarter** than your parents?"

No, but I was fortunate to have inherited much of my father's superior reasoning ability and my mother's photographic memory. As a result, I couldn't possible be a "progressive."

*Meaning "believe" rather than derived from objective measurement.

**Meaning "more intelligent" rather that higher level of education, which is confusing to most "progressives."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back