Do you WANT to believe in God?

I just find it funny that atheists smugly announce god would have to have a creator so they think they've defeated theism, then go on to say the universe popped out of nothing.

One guy I argued with for a while got frustrated and finally said that I believed in fairy tales while he believed in facts that haven't been discovered yet.
Each universe in the cosmos is like a bubble in a lava lamp. You can imagine a god but what your mind can't comprehend is an infinite number of universe separated like bubbles are in a lava lamp. Our universe is just one bubble. God is an easy cop out. If you don't understand something just fill in the blank that it "must be a god".

Which bubble do we live in?

See what I mean? God is a cop out so believe in bubbles instead. The thing about atheists is they will believe in anything BUT god.
Anything is possible including god. Just from what I have seen and I know, nothing tells me there is a god other than wishful thinking.

Scientifically the bubble thing could be true, or the multiverse.

And are you talking about a generic god or the god of the bible? The generic creator, possible, the bible god, highly improbable. And certainly not believable. If god wanted us to believe he would have done better than to tell our monkey ancestors of 7000 and 2000 years ago. Proof that's made up are Joseph Smith and Mohammad made the same shit up 500 and 200 years ago.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” – Stephen F Roberts
And the other thing atheists do is attack Christianity to prove there's no god. You haven't even read the posts.
No point in attacking the other religions. They are even sillier than yours. Your religion is the best BS Story going so we go after you the most and also because we don't know a lot of jews and muslims.
No. You attack Christianity because you're too scared to attack Islam. Cowardice is the worst of all traits in atheists who give Islam a pass.

Last edited:
Nope, I don't want or need to believe in God and I am happy for people who feel otherwise. LIve and let live.

You can believe in anything. But believing nothing exploded and everything happened takes more faith than a creator.

there's an explanation for everything

what happened - happened by "someone or something" that has mental capabilities FAR exceeding ours, or, is a process that far exceeds our mental capabilities (as they stand now)

if you believe in evolution, you could theorize that eventually we will "develop" and progress to a point where we will not only be able to understand how and why we are here but to replicate it as well.....
I just find it funny that atheists smugly announce god would have to have a creator so they think they've defeated theism, then go on to say the universe popped out of nothing.

One guy I argued with for a while got frustrated and finally said that I believed in fairy tales while he believed in facts that haven't been discovered yet.
Each universe in the cosmos is like a bubble in a lava lamp. You can imagine a god but what your mind can't comprehend is an infinite number of universe separated like bubbles are in a lava lamp. Our universe is just one bubble. God is an easy cop out. If you don't understand something just fill in the blank that it "must be a god".

Utterly absurd.

If you were trying to adopt brane theory, you missed.
I wasn't trying to adopt anything. It's my theory. Just as good as "GOD DID IT". Actually better.
It is not your theory that there are multiple universes, nor is the bubble concept. I saw all of this on Horizon just a few months ago :)

People are confused.
Most Christians don't believe in God because they "need" him (well, they need him in the sense for salvation) but, people can get through life happily without him.
You will hear Preachers say otherwise, but, really, you need God to fulfill the purpose you were born to fill - living for Him (God).

If you are living for God or are a Christian for YOURSELF, to repeat a phrase, "you're doing it wrong"......

Trouble is, science rarely admits to knowing very little. Instead it tends to fill the voids with theories and acts as though they are virtually proven, until another, often quite contradictory theory, replaces the earlier one. This applies to things as simple as how much wine is oK to drink, to something as complex as the origins of the universe and everything in between.

Do you have an example of this?

I mean, AGW makes things up and poses as science, but it is a fraud meant to gain wealth and power, it has nothing to do with actual science.

As for real science, I'm not sure I follow you.

Get a string, brane, and chaos advocate in the same room and you'll have bedlam, but i don't know of anyone claiming that things are proven, far from.

Oh, and the amount of wine to drink is how ever much it takes until you pass out. :)
Lol. Well, for the big things, I was thinking about agw, and I don't think non scientists are really aware of how much of it is garbage and what an unethical industry it is. String theory etc. Well, maybe in regard to these I exaggerate, I am certainly no expert, just somebody who used to read and struggle to understand. However, I'm not religious and I place my faith in science in general, and I have watched documentaries and read books where, IMHO, scientists who advocate these theories, for example, really don't hold back on presenting them as practically established fact, so much so it's quite irritating. Regarding vino, and other nutrition and health related issues, for example, one research study after another for the last couple of decades has raised and lowered the amount that is 'healthy' or 'safe' to drink. Cholesterol and other fats, antioxidants and so on, same kind of issue. As a former health care professional, I was frequently disgusted at what passes for research as well as what motivates it much of the time. My better half is a medical dr and he feels the same way. But, I digress, and I could go on but I'm even boring myself :)

It is not your theory that there are multiple universes, nor is the bubble concept. I saw all of this on Horizon just a few months ago :)

The concept of a metaverse goes back quite a way. The form of multiple universes has varied. One of the popular ones put forth is that of Dr. Lisa Randall, chair of the Harvard theoretical physics department. This is brane worlds. The idea is that the dimensions of space are really just a perception of intersecting branes, (think membranes) that impose a physical structure due to the intersection, Quantum physicists have long postulated more than the three dimensions of space that we perceive. In string theory, the idea is there are micro-dimensions within 3D space of Planck length. Brane theory mostly gets past this compactification by having a virtually unlimited number of branes that assert at points of intersection. Why this came about is due to the attractive quality of quarks and the indication that some are being attracted to matter that does not exist. If that matter exists in another dimension, it solves the problem. If that matter exists in another intersection of branes, it solves the attractive problem and avoids the need for Planck length micro-universes.

In both cases, the dimension of time is unaffected by the other dimensions or branes.

People are confused.
Most Christians don't believe in God because they "need" him (well, they need him in the sense for salvation) but, people can get through life happily without him.
You will hear Preachers say otherwise, but, really, you need God to fulfill the purpose you were born to fill - living for Him (God).

If you are living for God or are a Christian for YOURSELF, to repeat a phrase, "you're doing it wrong"......
Your purpose in life is to "live for God"?

People are confused.

A Christian's life is supposed to be to live for God. Yes.
You are to die to self. It's all over the Bible.
You should take care of yourself, as, your body is - as a Christian - a "temple" for the Holy Spirit, but in all you say and do, it should be to the glory of God, all credit to him. If you have to be in pain or unhappy for His glory - so be it - His will comes before your WANTS and sometimes needs.

People are confused.

You should take care of yourself, as, your body is - as a Christian - a "temple" for the Holy Spirit, but in all you say and do, it should be to the glory of God, all credit to him. If you have to be in pain or unhappy for His glory - so be it - His will comes before your WANTS and sometimes needs.
Thanks for laying out your beliefs. You're welcome to them.

They are quite different from mine.

One of the many reasons I reject the Bible.

See what I mean? God is a cop out so believe in bubbles instead. The thing about atheists is they will believe in anything BUT god.
Anything is possible including god. Just from what I have seen and I know, nothing tells me there is a god other than wishful thinking.

And are you talking about a generic god or the god of the bible? The generic creator, possible, the bible god, highly improbable. And certainly not believable. If god wanted us to believe he would have done better than to tell our monkey ancestors of 7000 and 2000 years ago. Proof that's made up are Joseph Smith and Mohammad made the same shit up 500 and 200 years ago.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” – Stephen F Roberts
And the other thing atheists do is attack Christianity to prove there's no god. You haven't even read the posts.
No point in attacking the other religions. They are even sillier than yours. Your religion is the best BS Story going so we go after you the most and also because we don't know a lot of jews and muslims.
No. You attack Christianity because you're too scared to attack Islam. Cowardice is the worst of all traits in atheists who give Islam a pass.
Question Is it OK to "attack Christianity"?

Because Christianity poses no threat to me, I can't think of why I would want to attack it.
I was posting that question to Tilly. Some people think I attack Christianity. I point out when I think what they are doing is misconduct. Such as the American Christians who were behind the "Kill Gays" legislation in Uganda.

My purpose in life is to accumulate as many letters after my name as possible. :)

Oh, and to worship my darling wife.
Is it safe to assume you are a physicist or similar? If so, I wonder what you make of the universe as hologram notion? (Idiots version ;-). ). All this stuff blows my mind :)

TU Wien
New research suggests that our Universe could be a giant hologram
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

FIONA MACDONALD
28 APR 2015
hologram principle' is right up there. It predicts that, mathematically, the Universe requires just two dimensions, and only looks three dimensional to us because it acts like a giant hologram. It sounds pretty crazy, but over the past two decades, the principle has steadily been gathering steam, and now new results suggest that this principle holds true for flat spaces like our Universe, and could soon be tested.

This would mean that everything we see in our comfortable, three-dimensional world is just the image of two-dimensional processes, overlaid onto a huge cosmic horizon...

New research suggests that our Universe could be a giant hologram

If the universe is a "giant hologram" that would be consistent with the Buddhist view of existence as "dream-like, impermanent, interdependent."

I think it should be accepted as reasonable to analyse and criticise beliefs and belief systems, religion should not be immune to that or protected from it. I don't think ridiculing is the same thing, though. And I really do wish all the atheists who delight in attacking and ridiculing Christianity would grow some and do the same to Islam, but a great many seem way too cowardly to be equal opportunity about it.

Because Christianity poses no threat to me, I can't think of why I would want to attack it.
I was posting that question to Tilly. Some people think I attack Christianity. I point out when I think what they are doing is misconduct. Such as the American Christians who were behind the "Kill Gays" legislation in Uganda.
Do you also point out Islams 'misconduct', with the same amount zeal and the same frequency?

Do you also point out Islams 'misconduct', with the same amount zeal and the same frequency?
No, I don't. The whole forum is so biased against Muslims I don't need to say anything.

Sometimes I poke fun, I will admit. It's really difficult not to at times, but I try to behave. :redface: It's more difficult with some people than with others.

Forum List

Back