Does / Should The State Or Federal Government Have The Right To Punish Americans For What They Buy?

Where does it stop and who gets to decide?
Because, as you and I know, it has everything to do with revenue, rather than its health effects. More dough for those govt officials to play with.
We do it with cigaretts and other tabacco products as well as alcohol. I feel it certainly singles out some consumers. I can not say it is wrong on soda with out including the others.
Why tolerate something we know being sold to Americans kills them at alarming rates, makes them so ill, jacks up medical costs, etc.... Why not BAN them rather than just 'TAX' them?

'It's all about the Benjamin's!

It can be both. More revenue AND health benefits.

It stops where we decide it stops. And we decide.

That new soda tax in Seattle is working out about as well as Chicago's - Hot Air

'Another year, another soda tax. This one was shoved through in the city of Seattle by the municipal government. As usual, its purported intent was to improve the health and lives of residents by “modifying their behavior” and having them drink fewer sugary beverages. And it’s definitely a muscular incentive for new behavior to be sure. The price of soda has nearly doubled overnight.'

Is it okay for the government to subject it's citizens to negative financial reinforced behavior modification?

"Behave ... conduct yourself in a way pleasing and / or acceptable to the STATE or punishment will be imposed upon you to force you to change...."

REALLY?
God forbid voters should vote on pols that vote for taxes. Let's take decisions from voters because .... they can't be trusted where libs are in the maj. ohhhhhh

Does / Should The State Or Federal Government Have The Right To Punish Americans For What They Buy?
So here's the thing. You have had no problem with the government punishing you for NOT buying things, why should it bother you if the government punishes you for the things you do buy?

It's all the same behavioral control.

We've had sin taxes on cigarettes and booze forever. So now the libs are adding sugar/high fructose corn syrup.

Won't be too long before they add fat.

You are punished by the government if you don't buy a house and take out a mortgage. People who do take out mortgages pay less tax than those that don't, and this causes tax rates to be raised on all taxpayers to make up the difference. Plus, the cost of houses is driven up by this government interference.

Strangely enough, pseudocons have no problem with this type of massive government interference in our behaviors and the private market.

But, oh! Put a tax on the sugar these fatties enjoy, and they suddenly have a shit fit over government interference in our lives.

Give me a break. You dumb shits BEGGED the devil to come into your house.

You are punished by the government if you don't buy a house and take out a mortgage. People who do take out mortgages pay less tax than those that don't, and this causes tax rates to be raised on all taxpayers to make up the difference.

Strangely enough, pseudocons have no problem with this type of massive government interference in our behaviors and the private market.

But, oh! Put a tax on the sugar these fatties enjoy, and they suddenly have a shit fit over government interference in our lives.

Give me a break.

Families wh kids get dependent tax breaks , while those kids cost us extra . Why reward having kids ?

You are punished by the government if you don't buy a house and take out a mortgage. People who do take out mortgages pay less tax than those that don't, and this causes tax rates to be raised on all taxpayers to make up the difference.

Give me a break.

Families wh kids get dependent tax breaks , while those kids cost us extra . Why reward having kids ?
The government wants you to breed, so they punish you with higher taxes if you don't.

I have never once seen Easy get all morally outraged and start a topic about it.

Give me a break.

With no kids now that means no adults later. Who the fuck is going to do the work?

Give me a break.

With no kids now that means no adults later. Who the fuck is going to do the work?
So you're saying that if the government didn't pay people to breed, they wouldn't? Really?

"Sorry, baby, but I ain't fucking you till I get a tax credit!"

It's funny. If you don't have kids, you are punished with higher taxes. AND you have to help pay for the public schools your non-existent children aren't using!

Double whammy.

I've never seen Easyt get worked up over this outrage.

I guess his propaganda outlets haven't ordered him to do so yet.

Give me a break.

So you're saying that if the government didn't pay people to breed, they wouldn't? Really?

No, I am not saying that. I am pointing out the goverments view on why having kids is a good thing. I will bet some has said that at some time. It is a better excuse than a head ache, it will work for much longer!

Give me a break.

I am going to say that tonight! I wonder if I will get punched or a good laugh from it!

We've had sin taxes on cigarettes and booze forever. So now the libs are adding sugar/high fructose corn syrup.

Won't be too long before they add fat.

So now the libs are adding sugar/high fructose corn syrup.

Here in Cook County, Dems weren't satisfied with that limitation, they also taxed artificially sweetened drinks.

Forum List

Back