Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

martin-luther-king-famous-peace-quotes.jpg

Trump on Friday, on MLK Day: "I encourage all Americans to observe this day with appropriate civic, community, and service programs and activities in honor of Dr. King’s life and legacy."

TRUMP IS GOLFING TODAY. (95th day of golf as president)

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

I think MLK would be sad that th e DNC was able to preserve slavery. Can’t see how you are pleased with that.

African Americans were brought here, unwillingly.

Think about that....

Many whites were as well. So what?

I think if someone (white or black) was brought here not of their choice, they should not be held to the same standard as those that willingly came here. Maybe some slack should be cut.

Bonzi, I don't know what happened to my ancestors 200 years ago...do you? Many people have poor childhoods.....does that excuse failure as an adult?

Your life is what you make it. :) Excuses get you nothing.

"Today we remember a great man and his work. We read his sermons. We recall his sacrifices. We give back. In doing these things, we raise our gaze and renew the spirit in which we serve one another." - Speaker Ryan

DTlm-ptW4AE0FBc.jpg

"The poverty of an aspiring immigrant’s nation of origin is as irrelevant as their race. The sentiment attributed to POTUS is inconsistent w/ America’s history and antithetical to American values. May our memory of Dr. King buoy our hope for unity, greatness, & “charity for all.” - Sneaky Mitt Romney

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Maybe the greatest thing King ever said....and it has been utterly abandoned by the Left. Sad. :(

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

I think MLK would be sad that th e DNC was able to preserve slavery. Can’t see how you are pleased with that.
Complete nonsense

If alive today, Dr King would be appalled by the inequity of wealth distribution

"The poverty of an aspiring immigrant’s nation of origin is as irrelevant as their race. The sentiment attributed to POTUS is inconsistent w/ America’s history and antithetical to American values. May our memory of Dr. King buoy our hope for unity, greatness, & “charity for all.” - Sneaky Mitt Romney

What a moron.

Think about that....

I think if someone (white or black) was brought here not of their choice, they should not be held to the same standard as those that willingly came here. Maybe some slack should be cut.

The issue is long past whether black people were brought here against their will. It’s now why are you ghettoizing poor people and curtailing their education and job opportunities.

Conservatives keep going on about blacks being 10% of the population but 20% of welfare recipients. This ignores the fact that most blacks are working and self-supporting.

Yes poor people have more crime. Poverty begats crime. People with nothing have nothing to lose. Crime isn’t a function of race, it’s a function of poverty.

Complete nonsense

If alive today, Dr King would be appalled by the inequity of wealth distribution

Absolutely!!!
Including the black President who expanded that gap more than any other President in history.
MLK would have spoken against Obama every chance he could.

Think about that....

The issue is long past whether black people were brought here against their will. It’s now why are you ghettoizing poor people and curtailing their education and job opportunities.

Conservatives keep going on about blacks being 10% of the population but 20% of welfare recipients. This ignores the fact that most blacks are working and self-supporting.

Yes poor people have more crime. Poverty begats crime. People with nothing have nothing to lose. Crime isn’t a function of race, it’s a function of poverty.

Crime is a function of illegitimacy.

Mentions proportional states like your 10/20 example is NOT ignoring the other percentage, but tying to discuss a problem.

But failing because people like you demagogue.

America as a whole has had a national consensus on policies to encourage and expand education and job opportunities for blacks.

That you dismiss them is a sign of how wasted our efforts have been.

we cannot sanitize Dr. King's message. King was a truly brave activist who led mass civil disobedience to challenge a racist establishment. He was anti-war and an economic populist. The right doesn't get to invoke his message without context

Can anyone imagine how Dr King would feel about our current racist president?

Forum List

Back