Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

Obama had many things to his advantage over both Hillary and McCain

He was young, he was dynamic and he was black
He was a black candidate who could fulfill the dream of Dr King. Not too ethnic, highly educated, non threatening, good family man....likable

Nobody could beat him

You guys don't get to shout from the roof tops how cool it is, what a milestone it is, to have the "First Black President"

and now to also down play it, as not that much.

Democrats are rightfully proud to elect the first black president

Republicans will be shamed by history for their treatment of Obama

Your desire to have Obama treated differently than all the other dem Presidents we have opposed,

made what should have been a positive milestone for the country, into a step BACKWARDS.

No other previous president had no support from the opposition party. Republicans did not provide a single vote in support of Obama.
No other President was refused the right to fill a Supreme Court vacancy

I reject you pretense that you are so stupid that you have not noticed that we are is a period of increasingly bitter partisan divide.

YOu may be stupid, but you are not that stupid. Stop pretending to be even stupider than you actually are.
You can’t deny it...

No other previous president had no support from the opposition party. Republicans did not provide a single vote in support of Obama.

Republicans poisoned the bipartisanship well

That was the one significant policy difference, but it was not enough to explain the stampede from Hillary to Obama.

It was because of excitement over his being the "First black President".

And as such, it was the complete and total repudiation of King's dream.
Obama had many things to his advantage over both Hillary and McCain

He was young, he was dynamic and he was black
He was a black candidate who could fulfill the dream of Dr King. Not too ethnic, highly educated, non threatening, good family man....likable

Nobody could beat him

You guys don't get to shout from the roof tops how cool it is, what a milestone it is, to have the "First Black President"

Your desire to have Obama treated differently than all the other dem Presidents we have opposed,

made what should have been a positive milestone for the country, into a step BACKWARDS.

and thank God for that

I reject you pretense that you are so stupid that you have not noticed that we are is a period of increasingly bitter partisan divide.

YOu may be stupid, but you are not that stupid. Stop pretending to be even stupider than you actually are.
You can’t deny it...

Republicans poisoned the bipartisanship well

I already rejected your pretense of being so stupid that you have not noticed that we are is a period of increasingly bitter partisan divide.

I'm willing to meet you half way on this.

I will admit that you are very, very stupid.

BUT, you are not as stupid as you pretend to be.

Do you remember when we impeached Bill Clinton? Who was white?

Impeachment is the most powerful attack on the Presidency that an opposing party can launch, short of open warfare.

We did that to Bill Clinton, the dem President immediately preceding Obama.

So don't pretend that this harsh divide is something that just started when the black guy showed you, you dishonest race baiting moron.

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

To say he SAVED this country I would disagree but to say he played a great part in the growth of America, I would.

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

To say he SAVED this country I would disagree but to say he played a great part in the growth of America, I would.
He saved us from ourselves

Talk about “Make America Great Again”.
We were not a great nation while we maintained second class citizenship

So, we were not a great nation when we saved Europe from Nazism?

So, we were not a great nation when we put a Man on the Moon?

Your desire to see all of our nation's history, though the lens of your personal obsession, is utter madness.

Your desire to see all of our nation's history, though the lens of your personal obsession, is utter madness.

Can you imagine a nation that was shocked at the atrocities perpetrated against the Jews and proclaimed how we were fighting for freedom while denying blacks the right to vote and treating them as if they were diseased animals?

That is not a great nation. That is a nation with serious social problems

Martin Luther King saved us

The US came back from WWII and high fived itself over how great we were

We immediately returned to full scale Jim Crow and lynching blacks who disagreed

MLK and the Civil Rights movement saved us

Can you imagine a nation that was shocked at the atrocities perpetrated against the Jews and proclaimed how we were fighting for freedom while denying blacks the right to vote and treating them as if they were diseased animals?

Your dismissal of the accomplishments and sacrifices of an entire generation of Americans, because they did not meet your modern PC standards,

reveals you to be a narrow minded, prick.

We immediately returned to full scale Jim Crow and lynching blacks who disagreed

If it were that simple, you would not have expected special treatment for Obama.

You took what should have been a nice milestone for the nation, and turned it into a major step backwards.

Your dismissal of the accomplishments and sacrifices of an entire generation of Americans, because they did not meet your modern PC standards,

It is not narrow minded to reveal the dark underbelly of our 1940 s society

That great society then expected blacks who fought in that war to resume their subservient status

“Make America Great Again”

Regurgitated reganista slogan rwinger.....but i digress ....in my mind we've always been a great nation......but for a reason......because we can look ourselves in the face as a nation, admit we're wrong, and better ourselves

Seriously, if we want to trot the torch of freedom around this rock, we need to serve as the best example of it

~S~

That great society then expected blacks who fought in that war to resume their subservient status

It is narrow minded to deny the greatness of the rest of 1940s society because of that one aspect.

From What?
Remember what the White to Black population ratio was at the time

It is narrow minded to deny the greatness of the rest of 1940s society because of that one aspect.
That was one hell of an aspect

MLK saved us without resorting to violence

From What?
Remember what the White to Black population ratio was at the time
Bout the same as today

That was one hell of an aspect

MLK saved us without resorting to violence

Only to some one completely ignorant of history.

Your reactions to the normal level of bitter partisanship that Obama was subject to, your choice to smear half the nation with the false accusation of racism, your choice to tell minorities that republicans were "Whitelashing" against a black president,

made a mockery of King and his dream.

Celebrate King's memory by living as he did. Get drunk and fuck a blonde whore.

Wait....you talking about King or trump?

Except trump says he doesn't drink. He just acts intoxicated...
Martin Luther King was a degenerate alcoholic who spent the money collected from the Ebenezer congregation on blonde prostitutes. If he hadn't been assassinated, Ralph Abernathy was going to have him arrested for embezzlement. King was such scum that he plagiarized his I have a dream speech and passed it off as his own.

Forum List

Back