'Ebola Doctor' in US hospital now

We are all going to die!
I don't know if you meant that as sarcasm or you are speaking from genuine fear. I've recently heard talk around town from some people who are asking why they aren't placing barriers around the hospital and bringing in the National Guard and picketing his having been brought back to this country and pushing for him to be sent back to where he became infected or to be treated elsewhere. That kind of took me aback for a moment as I pondered what they were saying.

What do you all say to that? Was that a cruel way of them to be thinking or a more practical one?

Ebola is not anywhere close to being the "most volatile virus on the planet". This is nothing but fear-mongering nonsense.

And yet.....

Dr. Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organization, said the meeting in Conakry:

"If the situation continues to deteriorate, the consequences can be catastrophic in terms of lost lives but also severe socio-economic disruption and a high risk of spread to other countries," she said.

Chan emphasized Friday that the general public "is not at high risk of infection," but also said the Ebola virus should not be allowed to circulate widely.

"Constant mutation and adaptation are the survival mechanisms of viruses and other microbes," she said. "We must not give this virus opportunities to deliver more surprises."

WHO: Ebola moving faster than control efforts - Health - MSN Healthy Living

I'm not sure why you posted this in response to my post (I'm pretty sure that Dr. Chan would agree with me in that Ebola is not the "most volatile virus on the planet").

I've helpfully highlighted the most important part of that quote also, that you must have missed.

No, I'm sure Ebola is not the MOST volitile virus.

The point of quoting Chan is that being MOST volitile is irrelevant.

Particularly once your dead.

I suppose a Pandemic from the 5th Most volitile virus would be of some comfort to you?

Maybe the 50th Most Volitile?

We are all going to die!
I don't know if you meant that as sarcasm or you are speaking from genuine fear. I've recently heard talk around town from some people who are asking why they aren't placing barriers around the hospital and bringing in the National Guard and picketing his having been brought back to this country and pushing for him to be sent back to where he became infected or to be treated elsewhere. That kind of took me aback for a moment as I pondered what they were saying.

What do you all say to that? Was that a cruel way of them to be thinking or a more practical one?

The US government may have brought infected individuals into the USA to help them survive.

They may have brought them into the USA to better study the effects of the virus on human victims.

I lean toward the latter explaination.

Ebola is not anywhere close to being the "most volatile virus on the planet". This is nothing but fear-mongering nonsense.

Question: The Influenza outbreak 1917-1920; appeared suddenly, was quite virulent, then disappeared. Why not Ebola? Is it the animal hosts that continue to carry, yet are asymptomatic?

The flu (A/H1N1) hasn't "disappeared", and it's rather irrelevant anyway. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

The outbreak that killed millions ended, I have read it was a variant of H1N1, did the 100 million that died have less immunity that the survivors and offspring thereof?

Ebola mutates, thus the caution.

While research continues to understand the virus better, it is known that the first incidence of the Ebola medical condition occurs due to contact with an infected animal. This occurs when birds drop fruits that are half eaten, animal fluids that are not cleaned properly from vegetation or contamination of seeds. Once a human is infected with Ebola, Ebola virus transmission occurs from direct contact or body fluids between humans. In most cases, the transmission occurs when an infected human is in the last stages of the Ebola hemorrhagic fever.

Ebola Virus Transmission - The Ebola Virus

Once again, another airbodrne strain like Reston could develop, that does cause illness in humans, or an area is cleared in the Everglades or bayous, and Ebola emerges. There is alo a US missionary about to be transoported to Emory.

Every RNA virus mutates.

The odds of Ebola "mutating" to be airborne are about the same as HIV becoming airborne.

Thank you; 10% of African and Asian monkeys are believed to carry the virus, I wonder if any are in US zoos.

\\Ebola: Description, Vector, Mechanisms, Symptoms, etc.

I just watched a documentary on 'bushmeat" in Africa, and the spread of disease due to eating and even preparing the meat. It was fascinating and scary.

And yet.....

Dr. Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organization, said the meeting in Conakry:

"If the situation continues to deteriorate, the consequences can be catastrophic in terms of lost lives but also severe socio-economic disruption and a high risk of spread to other countries," she said.

Chan emphasized Friday that the general public "is not at high risk of infection," but also said the Ebola virus should not be allowed to circulate widely.

"Constant mutation and adaptation are the survival mechanisms of viruses and other microbes," she said. "We must not give this virus opportunities to deliver more surprises."

WHO: Ebola moving faster than control efforts - Health - MSN Healthy Living

I'm not sure why you posted this in response to my post (I'm pretty sure that Dr. Chan would agree with me in that Ebola is not the "most volatile virus on the planet").

I've helpfully highlighted the most important part of that quote also, that you must have missed.

I suppose a Pandemic from the 5th Most volitile virus would be of some comfort to you?

Ebola's transmission vectors pretty much guarantee a pandemic being impossible.

There have been less than 1500 cases worldwide in the last 50 years, and the disease has never infected anyone outside the continent of Africa (aside from 2 lab accidents in Russia, each claiming a single victim).

Think about it. The same bloated federal bureaucracy that inadvertently poisoned most of it's staff with anthrax when they reversed the air conditioning is now charged with containing the most volatile virus on the planet.

I'm curious. What is the most volatile virus on the planet?

The Africans should try and stop fucking dead monkeys.....

Actually, their meat is consumed, and as with all slaughtering blood flows. Also fruit bats may be in contact with humans on occasian, and body fluids from the bats infect humans.

Question: The Influenza outbreak 1917-1920; appeared suddenly, was quite virulent, then disappeared. Why not Ebola? Is it the animal hosts that continue to carry, yet are asymptomatic?

The flu (A/H1N1) hasn't "disappeared", and it's rather irrelevant anyway. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

The outbreak that killed millions ended, I have read it was a variant of H1N1, did the 100 million that died have less immunity that the survivors and offspring thereof?

That outbreak was spread quickly because of WWI, of interest, it's spread in the US and many parts of the world is tracked back to a soldier from Fort Riley, Kansas, or Junction City, KS. Private Albert Gitchell.

It's generally thought that the H1N1 virus mutated to a less-lethal form - and that, combined with doctors being more knowledgeable about it, is what ended that pandemic.

There have been less than 1500 cases worldwide in the last 50 years, and the disease has never infected anyone outside the continent of Africa (aside from 2 lab accidents in Russia, each claiming a single victim).

"Pretty much guarantee?"

I can pretty much guarantee my house won't burn down.

But it might.

Tell us Doc, after the first case in March, how many would you have guaranteed would be dead in July?

almost 800...?

Think about it. The same bloated federal bureaucracy that inadvertently poisoned most of it's staff with anthrax when they reversed the air conditioning is now charged with containing the most volatile virus on the planet.

I don't know. But it would certainly be easier to transmit than Ebola. The common cold virus is more "volatile" than Ebola.

I'll guess: Smallpox

CaféAuLait;9557590 said:

That outbreak was spread quickly because of WWI, of interest, it's spread in the US and many parts of the world is tracked back to a soldier from Fort Riley, Kansas, or Junction City, KS. Private Albert Gitchell.

So I have read, Doctor writes it did not disappear, thus the steep drop off in deaths remains a question; natural immunity or a mutation of the virus?

The alleged "doctor" left may be cavalier about a virus that has never been known on American soil because his guy is in the White House and regardless of the bloated federal bureaucracy that "mistakenly" released anthrax into the CDC visitors center at CDC. No real statistics are available about African victims but it is estimated that the death rate among people who have been exposed to the virus in their environment all their lives is shocking but political loyalty motivates the radical left to defend a bureaucracy that can't be defended.

"Pretty much guarantee?"

But it might.

Tell us Doc, after the first case in March, how many would you have guaranteed would be dead in July?

almost 800...?

Your house burning down is statistically much more likely than you catching Ebola. By a number of orders of magnitude.

If it makes you happier to live in fear, go for it. The networks love you for it.

More people die each day from the flu than have ever died from Ebola.

The alleged "doctor" left may be cavalier about a virus that has never been known on American soil because his guy is in the White House and regardless of the bloated federal bureaucracy that "mistakenly" released anthrax into the CDC visitors center at CDC. No real statistics are available about African victims but it is estimated that the death rate among people who have been exposed to the virus in their environment all their lives is shocking but political loyalty motivates the radical left to defend a bureaucracy that can't be defended.

You are the only moron attempting to bring politics into this.

CaféAuLait;9557590 said:

So I have read, Doctor writes it did not disappear, thus the steep drop off in deaths remains a question; natural immunity or a mutation of the virus?

Most likely a combination of both.

CaféAuLait;9557590 said:

Do you remember when the similar virus came out a bit back? H1N1, and docs looked at survivors of that outbreak and stated how similar they were? If I recall they looked at the survivors and decided it was natural immunity. I cant recall the specifics, of course quarantine helped too.

"Pretty much guarantee?"

But it might.

almost 800...?

Your house burning down is statistically much more likely than you catching Ebola. By a number of orders of magnitude.

If it makes you happier to live in fear, go for it. The networks love you for it.

More people die each day from the flu than have ever died from Ebola.

I now understand you are a statistical expert.

What are the chances of an infected person entering the USA illegally?

One reason why the Ebola virus's spread is possible in theory is that it can take up to 21 days for an infected person to show symptoms. That's ample time for someone with Ebola to travel a long distance by plane and arrive in the United States or Europe, said Derek Gatherer, a researcher at Lancaster University in the United Kingdom who studies virus genetics and evolution. [5 Things You Should Know About Ebola]

But if an infected person arrived in the United States and showed symptoms, doctors would be quick to suspect Ebola based on the patient's travel history, and isolate the patient, Gatherer said.

"Western medical services would probably cope quite well with catching Ebola as it arrived, because we'd be aware of people coming from Ebola-affected areas," Gatherer said.​

Gatherer doesn't seem to understand that doctors do not examine everyone entering the USA.........:eek:

Wonder what other fundamental realities Researchers are ignorant about.

Could Ebola Spread to the United States?

Forum List

Back