Economy adds 175,000 jobs in February

Jobs report: Hiring picked up in February - Mar. 7, 2014

This should be good news for everyone.....but I am sure the GOP will spin their dismay.

Good, sustainable jobs or crappy, temp jobs or low-paying, part-time jobs?

apparently not good enough jobs to reduce welfare, unemployment or food stamps by one penny or one day of elibibility; because the Left is still howling that Republicans are barbarians for asking why if things are so much better now; those things have to remain at the RECORD, EMERGENCY LEVELS leftover from the Bush years and early obama years that they ARE STILL AT NOW.

idiots and hypocrites

Jobs report: Hiring picked up in February - Mar. 7, 2014

This should be good news for everyone.....but I am sure the GOP will spin their dismay.

Good, sustainable jobs or crappy, temp jobs or low-paying, part-time jobs?

Hey! Don't denigrate corporate decisions. They have shareholders who NEED that money.

good point genius; isnt that how Dems were able to brag this week that wealth is at record levels; because of income gained in 401k accounts and such on account of the booming stock market?

You obviously never read what was at the link and just liked the google summary, but it looks like the article was so stupid that the site has blocked access to it. It probably made claims like you did, more Boomers are working so they can't be retiring. There are so many more Boomers that they cam be working more and retiring more.

Here is a chart with the actual breakdown of those leaving the workforce.

left-labor-force-1.png

No offense, Ed but unless that chart is yours...you really should be attributing it to someone so that we have an idea who compiled it. Not for nothing but cherry picking stats to give the impression that someone desires has become a "cottage industry" lately.
No offense, but all you have to do is right click on it to find the source.

Why People Left The Workforce - Business Insider

i read it; it says the rate of employment relative to population for the 55-plus crowd has remained constant over the last few years

you're the one lying to himself with a debunked talking point
It says a lot more than that!

It is important to understand the techniques the Right uses to deceive, in this case telling just enough truth to deceive and then shutting up.

Baby Boomers Are Retiring - Business Insider

How can retiring baby boomers be the primary driver of the drop in labor force participation if the participation rate for those 55 years of age and over has been mostly increasing in recent years as the total labor force participation rate has fallen?
Business Insider/Matthew Boesler (data from St. Louis Fed)
Chart 3.

It's important to remember that, at 39.8%, the participation rate for those 55 years of age and over is still a massive 41.1 percentage points lower than the prime working age (25-54) participation rate, which currently stands at 80.9% (chart 3). Millions of Americans have been transitioning from the first bucket (25-54) to the second one (55+) over the past several years as the baby boom generation comes of retirement age.
Chart 4.

Since 2007, the prime working age population has fallen by 1.556 million, or 1.2%, whereas the 55-and-over population has risen by 14.063 million, a 20.2% increase (chart 4). Some quick arithmetic shows the effect this has had on overall labor force participation:

• The average prime working age LFPR since 2007 is 82.0%, and the average 55-and-over LFPR since 2007 is 40.1%
  • The size of the 55-and-over population has increased by 15.619 million relative to that of the prime working age population since 2007
  • 15.619 million multiplied by the difference between the two participation rates (82.0% - 40.1%) implies that this simple demographic shift alone has left only 6.544 million workers at the end of 2013 where there were 15.619 million at the end of 2007
  • Subtract that 6.544 million still in the labor force from the 15.619 million who made the shift from the first bucket to the second bucket and you get 9.075 million people 55 years of age or over who have left the labor force over the past six years

No offense, but all you have to do is right click on it to find the source.

Why People Left The Workforce - Business Insider

i read it; it says the rate of employment relative to population for the 55-plus crowd has remained constant over the last few years

It is important to understand the techniques the Right uses to deceive, in this case telling just enough truth to deceive and then shutting up.

How can retiring baby boomers be the primary driver of the drop in labor force participation if the participation rate for those 55 years of age and over has been mostly increasing in recent years as the total labor force participation rate has fallen?
Chart 3.

It's important to remember that, at 39.8%, the participation rate for those 55 years of age and over is still a massive 41.1 percentage points lower than the prime working age (25-54) participation rate, which currently stands at 80.9% (chart 3). Millions of Americans have been transitioning from the first bucket (25-54) to the second one (55+) over the past several years as the baby boom generation comes of retirement age.
Chart 4.

Since 2007, the prime working age population has fallen by 1.556 million, or 1.2%, whereas the 55-and-over population has risen by 14.063 million, a 20.2% increase (chart 4). Some quick arithmetic shows the effect this has had on overall labor force participation:

• The average prime working age LFPR since 2007 is 82.0%, and the average 55-and-over LFPR since 2007 is 40.1%
  • The size of the 55-and-over population has increased by 15.619 million relative to that of the prime working age population since 2007
  • 15.619 million multiplied by the difference between the two participation rates (82.0% - 40.1%) implies that this simple demographic shift alone has left only 6.544 million workers at the end of 2013 where there were 15.619 million at the end of 2007
  • Subtract that 6.544 million still in the labor force from the 15.619 million who made the shift from the first bucket to the second bucket and you get 9.075 million people 55 years of age or over who have left the labor force over the past six years

you're spinning; and it's laughable. there are several articles on the DEBUNKED MYTH that the 40-year low in labor force participation is due to people retiring

if anything more and more boomers are putting off retirement

Report: Baby Boomers are Putting off Retirement | RV Business

www.rvbusiness.com/.../report-baby-boomers-are-putting-off-retirement/*

Jan 21, 2014 - Nearly half of baby boomers who are in the work force today say they don't expect to retire until they're 66 or older, and one in 10 think they'll ...
The contrary articles are so ridiculous they keep getting pulled.
Not Found, Error 404

The page you are looking for no longer exists. Perhaps you can find what you are looking for by searching the site archives by page, month, or category:

Again we see how the Right will abuse any stat to deceive the gullible. While half may say they will not retire until after 66, the actual numbers say differently.

As I pointed out, the number of Boomers continuing to work past 65 has increased from 15% to 18%. That still means that 72% of the 300,000 Boomers reaching retirement age are leaving the workforce by age 65.

Chart 3.

Chart 4.

you're spinning; and it's laughable. there are several articles on the DEBUNKED MYTH that the 40-year low in labor force participation is due to people retiring
And those fake articles have been so thoroughly debunked they have been pulled out of embarrassment!

Chart 3.

Chart 4.

And those fake articles have been so thoroughly debunked they have been pulled out of embarrassment!

how was i able to find them if they were "pulled"?

ur a joke

ur a joke
Click on the links you gave and you get the 404 error message and not the article! All you found is a google list summary, not the actual article.

Last edited:

ur a joke
Click on the links you gave and you get the 404 error message and not the article!

fool; that just means they didnt post right; doulc be because i'm on an intranet..

what a comical idiot.
No, all the summaries on the bad links posted have ellipsis' (...) showing they are just a C&P of a google list.

My links work and do not have ellipsis'.

Americans Working Part-Time After Age 65 - US News

Americans Working Part-Time After Age 65
Don’t count on full-time retirement, even after age 65. About 15.5 percent of Americans age 65 and older were still working in 2008, according to recently released data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. Most of those seniors (62 percent) have cut back to part-time work. But over a third (38 percent) continue to work 35 hours a week or more during the traditional retirement years.

Not letting go: Companies hang on to their baby boomers - Fortune Management

In 1985, 10.8% of people over 65 worked full-time or part-time. By 2011, that figure rose to over 18%, according to the AARP Public Policy Institute.

Click on the links you gave and you get the 404 error message and not the article!

fool; that just means they didnt post right; doulc be because i'm on an intranet..

what a comical idiot.
No, all the summaries on the bad links posted have ellipsis' (...) showing they are just a C&P of a google list.

Don’t count on full-time retirement, even after age 65. About 15.5 percent of Americans age 65 and older were still working in 2008, according to recently released data from the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. Most of those seniors (62 percent) have cut back to part-time work. But over a third (38 percent) continue to work 35 hours a week or more during the traditional retirement years.

In 1985, 10.8% of people over 65 worked full-time or part-time. By 2011, that figure rose to over 18%, according to the AARP Public Policy Institute.

i never said i didnt copy and paste them; nothing you're posting proves they are bad links; i was able to open them. if you want i'll copy and past the contents instead

what a comical idiot.

i never said i didnt copy and paste them; nothing you're posting proves they are bad links; i was able to open them. if you want i'll copy and past the contents instead
Please do.

This is a silly thread. The participation rate is bound to go down for one very obvious reason: All who had to work for med insurance no longer have to.
Beyond that, if you want to decrease unemployment, do what all administrations have done in the same situation. From FDR to Reagan. It is called lots of rational stimulus.

This is a silly thread. The participation rate is bound to go down for one very obvious reason: All who had to work for med insurance no longer have to.
Beyond that, if you want to decrease unemployment, do what all administrations have done in the same situation. From FDR to Reagan. It is called lots of rational stimulus.

"Rational stimulus" is not possible when there is a party (GOP) who is wagering everything that the economy and this administration fail.

Why are the GOPers backing off of their government shutdown policy? Many because voters finally said no to their obstruction and the polls began to show it. The GOP will push their obstruction and anit-economic policies as far as can, until it becomes a liability to their political party. You know, the classic "party over country" mentality.

Yep. But the participation rate continues to drop and the UE went up to 6.7. So not only are the ones who quit looking for work hosed but the ones working are getting laid off

-Geaux

Yep. But the participation rate continues to drop and the UE went up to 6.7. So not only are the ones who quit looking for work hosed but the ones working are getting laid off

-Geaux

That didn't happen though. Instead, hiring picked up across many sectors. Construction added 15,000 jobs, restaurants and bars added 20,100 jobs and education and health services added 33,000 jobs.

Construction, even in the weather plauged month of February, is picking up quickly. I see plans coming forward for both residential and commercial construction. Spin all you want, but the economy is slowly improving, much to the disappointment of the GOP loons out there. Sorry:D:D

Chart 3.

Chart 4.

Those were some great sources you used, bro. Step outside the CEC sometime.

Everyone knows the economy needs to add 1 million jobs per month just to keep up with population growth, Free Republic told me so.

Last edited:
Obamanomics in full force....

Hundreds of thousands,millions and millions of jobs created by Obama,Obama's policies have the stock market in the record books.

Month after month the news reports say the economy is stagnant at best.....

Yet the Obama fluffers are in a tizzy because we don't love their guy as they do....

Record numbers are on food stamps.
People will die unless we extend unemployment benefits because the economy is so bad.
We need to raise the minimum wage because so many millions of people are living in poverty....

What say you Libs....

Obama is the leader of a country that is the envy of the world.
Or
The USA is on the brink of ruin.

Forum List

Back