Ethics: Veganism

Started to put this in Health, but thinking of the angle this seemed more appropriate.

Had a dream the other day, and while the subject of it has nothing to do with veganism, for whatever reason it led to this train of thought: If we ever encounter intelligent aliens (so we could exchange information,) will our being omnivores negatively effect our standing in their eyes? We'll likely introduce ourselves as the 'dominant lifeform' of this planet...So dominant we enslave lesser lifeforms and use them for food. Shouldn't the dominant lifeform act as stewards of everything else taking care of them? Not enslaving, skinning, and eating them like ogres?

Along with this question, what if the aliens have the means to detect intelligence or sentience we lack and inform us organic foods we didn't think were sentient actually are as with fruits and vegetables? We know they're alive, but we don't consider them intelligent or sentient. What if they were, and we simply lacked the means of determining it?

I tried an ultra-strict vegan diet several years ago. Only made it for about 6 weeks though. Grocery shopping was excruciating reading labels to ensure no dairy or other prohibited things. Though I felt better (other than tremendous gas from all the veggies and fiber,) growing up my father was a butcher for supermarket chain so we always had a variety of meat n seafood so I think I got used to it. And when I finally quit, it was in large part due to missing my baked paprika chicken :) Kinda thinking about giving it another go though of late.

What about when you find out the aliens want to use you for food?
You will be wondering what they think about our horrid behavior towards domesticated animals ... While they are deciding if you will taste better with wasgoobi or jimbuka sauce.

The weirdest part about my dreams with aliens ... Is when we find out they look and act just like us.

Remember the old Twilight Zone, where the aliens arrived on earth with a book called "To Serve Man" and it wasn't until some were already on their way to visit their planet when they learned it was a cookbook.

You're actually right about that one line - that its not possible to live vegan.

But no, I've never taken supplements and no, I'm not going to die of not taking supplements or of not eating meat. LOL

Keep telling yourself that, just don't expect to outlive your neighbor that is chowing down on a well balanced diet that includes meat.

Well, I'm closing in on 70 so ...

So far, so good.

But thanks ever so much for your concern.

I see your problem now, you think utter contempt and scorn is concern.

Keep telling yourself that, just don't expect to outlive your neighbor that is chowing down on a well balanced diet that includes meat.

Well, I'm closing in on 70 so ...

So far, so good.

But thanks ever so much for your concern.

I see your problem now, you think utter contempt and scorn is concern.

Maybe if you eat more fat you'll learn to recognize sarcasm.

Seriously, go eat some bacon and take some "supplements".

You can have my share of both.

About a decade ago, I read a book called "Rare Earth". It is a well thought out and logically backed book on the Rare Earth Hypothesis. That hypothesis claims that while there may be billions and billions of planets har boring life in the universe, complex life forms are extremely rare and sentient life so rare as to be non existant outside of the earth.

I think that we are the single most advanced life form in the entire universe. Why not? Someone has to be #1.

As we discover more and more exoplanets (currently 3500 or so,) we're beginning to realize planets orbiting stars is the rule and not the exception. Also, planets don't need to orbit stars as per 'rogue planets.' Looking at life here on Earth, where life can exist, it does exist and in millions of forms. Even if just one planet per galaxy evolves intelligent sentient life equal to, or superior to human beings, that's still 200 billion or so such planets in the known universe.

I'm 99.99999...9% certain we're not the most advanced lifeform in the universe. Pleanty of older regions of space and older galaxies out there. Compared to them, ourlittle slice of heaven is young.

People mistakenly believe that all you need is a planet revolving around a sun an poof! There's life. The star has to be the right age, the planet has to be the right size, the solar system has to be the right distance from the center of the galaxy, the planet has to rotate, and the planet itself has to be the right age.

The scientists who authored the book on their rare earth hypothesis reworked and updated the Drake Equasion. Our planet is so exceedingly rare as to practically be alone in the universe. The fact that we cannot make contact not seen any evidence of other life supports their theory.

It's a fascinating read. I believe that we are the most advanced if not the only advanced form of life in the entire universe.

Universe is about 13.4 billion years old, Earth just 4.6 billion. Odds are, older regions have life much more evolved than our's.

Started to put this in Health, but thinking of the angle this seemed more appropriate.

Had a dream the other day, and while the subject of it has nothing to do with veganism, for whatever reason it led to this train of thought: If we ever encounter intelligent aliens (so we could exchange information,) will our being omnivores negatively effect our standing in their eyes? We'll likely introduce ourselves as the 'dominant lifeform' of this planet...So dominant we enslave lesser lifeforms and use them for food. Shouldn't the dominant lifeform act as stewards of everything else taking care of them? Not enslaving, skinning, and eating them like ogres?

Along with this question, what if the aliens have the means to detect intelligence or sentience we lack and inform us organic foods we didn't think were sentient actually are as with fruits and vegetables? We know they're alive, but we don't consider them intelligent or sentient. What if they were, and we simply lacked the means of determining it?

I tried an ultra-strict vegan diet several years ago. Only made it for about 6 weeks though. Grocery shopping was excruciating reading labels to ensure no dairy or other prohibited things. Though I felt better (other than tremendous gas from all the veggies and fiber,) growing up my father was a butcher for supermarket chain so we always had a variety of meat n seafood so I think I got used to it. And when I finally quit, it was in large part due to missing my baked paprika chicken :) Kinda thinking about giving it another go though of late.

What about when you find out the aliens want to use you for food?
You will be wondering what they think about our horrid behavior towards domesticated animals ... While they are deciding if you will taste better with wasgoobi or jimbuka sauce.

The weirdest part about my dreams with aliens ... Is when we find out they look and act just like us.

Remember the old Twilight Zone, where the aliens arrived on earth with a book called "To Serve Man" and it wasn't until some were already on their way to visit their planet when they learned it was a cookbook.

That's a possibility. Just as we're the most evolved lifeform here, chances are aliens will be omnivorous too. Might just look at us and reason "Well, though they're sentient they eat numerous species from their own planet, so it's not like eating them is immoral." :)

Forum List

Back