Explain to me, the lawful meaning of "SHALL"

1. The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms,Shall not be infringed"

2. "The little known tax code provision employed by the Democrats in demanding Mr. Trump’s returns says only that the Internal Revenue Service “shall furnish” the information, giving it and its parent agency, the Treasury Department, little leeway in deciding how to respond.

Link to above:

Trump Lawyer Asserts President’s Right to Keep Tax Returns Private

The Republican Party, the NRA and the Congress must decide if shall means mandatory, or not. The consequences are clear. Give Congress the president's taxes, or give the NRA and it's shall not be infringed a kick in the ass.

Interesting. I always thought "shall" to mean "mandatory". What did I know:

shall

v. 1) an imperative command as in "you shall not kill."

2) in some statutes, "shall" is a direction but does not mean mandatory, depending on the context.​

It's a pity, really, for if "shall" changes its meaning contingent on the "context", whatever that's supposed to mean, our righty friends are still not required to interpret your examples the same way. Still, watching them tying themselves in knots finding some "context" to justify different interpretations shall be fun.
I think thats a modern definition and is not valid on this point,,,

the lefty have been changing the meanings of words for decades,,, so if you get a chance to buy an older edition of the dictionary I would do so,,,

1. The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms,Shall not be infringed"

2. "The little known tax code provision employed by the Democrats in demanding Mr. Trump’s returns says only that the Internal Revenue Service “shall furnish” the information, giving it and its parent agency, the Treasury Department, little leeway in deciding how to respond.

Link to above:

The Republican Party, the NRA and the Congress must decide if shall means mandatory, or not. The consequences are clear. Give Congress the president's taxes, or give the NRA and it's shall not be infringed a kick in the ass.

shall

2) in some statutes, "shall" is a direction but does not mean mandatory, depending on the context.​

It's a pity, really, for if "shall" changes its meaning contingent on the "context", whatever that's supposed to mean, our righty friends are still not required to interpret your examples the same way. Still, watching them tying themselves in knots finding some "context" to justify different interpretations shall be fun.
It's a matter of Murican case law, Eurotrash fuckwit.

Now get the hell back into your own lane.

from plainlanguage.gov
"Must" is the only word that imposes a legal obligation that something is mandatory. the Supreme Court ruled that when the word "shall" appears in statutes, it means "may."....must and shall are not supposed to be used together in the same regulation....

So...is "shall not be infringed not mandatory, and can the Sect. of the Treasury able to keep the tax records of Trump secret? It can't be one or the other though I'm sure trump supporters will try.
Congress has no judicial authority. they can bark all night, and all it will be is annoying.

Neither does the executive. Only the Supreme Court has that authority:

“The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish.”

Keep in mind, the Executive does not have legislative power, and EO's are not laws, they are only policies and can be overruled by The Congress.

Why do the supporters of Trump believe he is above the law. Keep in mind John Mitchell, and AG Barr ought to too.

John Mitchell | attorney general of United States
well actually the DOJ does. but why would you care, facts ain't your thing.

BULLSHIT ^^^

They investigate and prosecute, the trier of fact is under the control of the Judge, and the decision rendered by the judge or the jury.

BTW, the Judiciary Committee just now voted 24 -16 to hold Barr in Contempt.
they prosecute, they put together a grand jury. the congress can't do that. no matter how fking much you want that to be so, it just isn't slim. just like trump is president. hitlery is a joke.

Link to above:

THANK YOU, Wry........I made the same exact argument at a local town hall meeting, and one of the "deplorables" threatened my life.....just for bringing up the fact that his ilk WAS deplorable .....and clearly ignorant.........LOL

Link to above:

from plainlanguage.gov
"Must" is the only word that imposes a legal obligation that something is mandatory. the Supreme Court ruled that when the word "shall" appears in statutes, it means "may."....must and shall are not supposed to be used together in the same regulation....

Sooooooo, tell THAT at the next NRA meeting and run for your life.

THANK YOU, Wry........I made the same exact argument at a local town hall meeting, and one of the "deplorables" threatened my life.....just for bringing up the fact that his ilk WAS deplorable .....and clearly ignorant.........LOL

I made an argument at a local town hall that liberals are dumb as a box of rocks. One liberal threatened to hurt my feelings via twitter. I laughed and she stomped off in a huff :auiqs.jpg:

Link to above:

iu

Link to above:

shall

I think thats a modern definition and is not valid on this point,,,

the lefty have been changing the meanings of words for decades,,, so if you get a chance to buy an older edition of the dictionary I would do so,,,
It's the legal definition...It's just like when the court decided that corporations, trusts, and other various legal straw men are "persons".

Link to above:

so you insulted the guy and almost got your ass kicked....i bet you almost pissed your underpants....

Link to above:

shall

Please excuse Oddball, he seeks to be seen as a noble, but those who know his works recognized how ignoble he truly is.

Link to above:

If you made this point in an open town hall meeting, you publicly made a fool of yourself by flaunting your sheer ignorance....Exactly like you do every day here.

no its not mandatory,apparently only must is....shall is the same as may....so the gun rights may OR may not be infringed....and trumps taxes may or may not be furnished...

Do morons......like you.....realize that your citation from..... plainlanguage.gov ......is a citation from the "deep state" folks????..............LOL

Link to above:

from plainlanguage.gov

Sooooooo, tell THAT at the next NRA meeting and run for your life.
whats an NRA meeting?...

Link to above:

shall

Please excuse Oddball, he seeks to be seen as a noble, but those who know his works recognized how ignoble he truly is.
Ad hominem smears of me don't change the fact that you're a total ignoramus about this topic.

no its not mandatory,apparently only must is....shall is the same as may....so the gun rights may OR may not be infringed....and trumps taxes may or may not be furnished...

Do morons......like you.....realize that your citation from..... plainlanguage.gov ......is a citation from the "deep state" folks????..............LOL
can a moron like you prove that citation wrong?...

Link to above:

iu

Upon hearing the news that Trump exercised executive privilege AOC announced she is officially pouting.

angry-girl.jpg

Link to above:

It's like saying "will"..
no its like saying may......must is like saying will....
nat laughs at everything....the guy must get paid by bad comedians to sit in the audience...

so you insulted the guy and almost got your ass kicked....i bet you almost pissed your underpants....

Yeah.....I "insulted" the guy in trying to educate him....and he started sputtering to the extent that his dentures almost fell to the floor.......THEN he threatened me with his red face..... as we all laughed at the idiot.........LOL

Link to above:

shall

Ad hominem smears of me don't change the fact that you're a total ignoramus about this topic.

Calling you Ignoble is not a personal affront, clearly in your case it is high praise.

Forum List

Back