Exactly! They want to come right out of school and expect to afford their own apartment. Nobody I knew did that - including college graduates with well-paying careers in their future. When they first started out, everyone either 1) shared an apartment or b) rented a small bedroom in a house.

I just did a search on Zillow for a 3-bedroom apartment about an hour’s commute from a major East Coast city. There were a lot of them in the $2000 range, and one only $1500, which three low-wage people could share. Of course they were all in dumpy areas, but that’s what you get if you haven’t any job skills.
I shared apartments or houses with other guys up until I got married at 32. That was the only way I could save money, and I had a good paying job. Rents were always high where I lived.

I shared apartments or houses with other guys up until I got married at 32. That was the only way I could save money, and I had a good paying job. Rents were always high where I lived.
Yup. That‘s how it was with everyone. Today though, these entitled 22-year-olds who have no talent or ability beyond “want fries with that?” think they should be able to rent their own apartment. And the leftists encourage that way of thinking.

Yup. That‘s how it was with everyone. Today though, these entitled 22-year-olds who have no talent or ability beyond “want fries with that?” think they should be able to rent their own apartment. And the leftists encourage that way of thinking.
Lots of landlords won't rent to 'unrelated' young people, too noisy, parties, etc.

Lots of landlords won't rent to 'unrelated' young people, too noisy, parties, etc.
Lots will. Maybe not individual landowners, but apartment buildings. And if not, there are one-room rentals in the basement of someone’s house.

Lots will. Maybe not individual landowners, but apartment buildings. And if not, there are one-room rentals in the basement of someone’s house.
Depends on local ordinances. Many high rental areas have successfully petitioned their city councils for restrictions that allow them to refuse to rent to unrelated groups of people for the purpose of avoiding the problems that it causes.

There should be no Federal Minimum Wage.

There should be no state minimum wage.

If a specific cities citizens wishes to pass one that is the highest level it should be ever made.
Golfing Gator, if there were not effectively enforced federal or state minimum wage rates, the state's cities or counties couldn't effectively sustain and enforce any meaningful minimum wage rate.
Your stated opinion for only city enacted minimum wage rates makes sense only for those who are in reality opposed to any meaningful effective minimum wage rate effectively enforced by any governments within the USA. Respectfully, Supposn

Your stated opinion for only city enacted minimum wage rates makes sense only for those who are in reality opposed to any meaningful effective minimum wage rate effectively enforced by any governments within the USA

Correct, I do not want minimum wage rate effectively enforced by any governments within the USA

Correct, I do not want minimum wage rate effectively enforced by any governments within the USA
Golfing Gator, the federal minimum wage, (FMW) rate is of net social and economic benefit to our nation. It has never been among the major causes of the U.S. dollar’s inflation; on the contrary, it’s certainly among inflations’ victims.
No employees are poorer and no enterprises suffer any competitive disadvantage to any USA enterprises due to the FMW rate.

[there’s no doubt that USA’s higher wage rates are a cause of our products’ price disadvantages in comparison to products from lower-wage nations; but although the elimination of our FMW rate laws would be greatly detrimental to our nation’s net social and economic well-being, eliminating it would accomplish extremely little to remedy our products’ global price disadvantages.
[Refer to Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article.]
Respectfully, Supposn

Golfing Gator, the federal minimum wage, (FMW) rate is of net social and economic benefit to our nation. It has never been among the major causes of the U.S. dollar’s inflation; on the contrary, it’s certainly among inflations’ victims.
No employees are poorer and no enterprises suffer any competitive disadvantage to any USA enterprises due to the FMW rate.

The FMW is stupid due to the wide variance in the cost of living. Having the same minimum wage in San Fran and Red Bud Ill makes no sense due to the huge difference is how much it cost to live in each

The FMW is stupid due to the wide variance in the cost of living. Having the same minimum wage in San Fran and Red Bud Ill makes no sense due to the huge difference is how much it cost to live in each
Golfing Gator, our nation's congress and our president agreed upon the federal minimum wage rate; it limits extents of lower wage rate USA states' abilities to deliberately or inadvertently undermine labor market rates within other USA states.

It's a national minimum rate; states are able to require a higher minimum within their own jurisdictions. But they’re prohibited from infringing upon or otherwise undermining any USA employees and other USA entities¸ (particularly other state's labor markets), protections due to the federal laws. Employees and their dependents within states of governments having lesser consideration for their citizens, (i.e. states of lower applicable minimum wage rates, and inversely proportional to their wages), are the greater net beneficiaries of the federal minimum wage rate.
Respectfully, Supposn

Golfing Gator, our nation's congress and our president agreed upon the federal minimum wage rate; it limits extents of lower wage rate USA states' abilities to deliberately or inadvertently undermine labor market rates within other USA states.

It's a national minimum rate; states are able to require a higher minimum within their own jurisdictions. But they’re prohibited from infringing upon or otherwise undermining any USA employees and other USA entities¸ (particularly other state's labor markets), protections due to the federal laws. Employees and their dependents within states of governments having lesser consideration for their citizens, (i.e. states of lower applicable minimum wage rates, and inversely proportional to their wages), are the greater net beneficiaries of the federal minimum wage rate.
Respectfully, Supposn

Yes, I know what the federal minimum wage does. I just happen to disagree with such broad strokes.

The cost of living in Kankakee, IL is 52% less than that in San Francisco. Why would both have the same Fed minimum wage?

Yes, I know what the federal minimum wage does. I just happen to disagree with such broad strokes.

The cost of living in Kankakee, IL is 52% less than that in San Francisco. Why would both have the same Fed minimum wage?
Golfing Gator, our United States congress passed, and our president signed off on our current $7.25 per hour federal minimum wage which became effective 14 years ago. You consider that to be an excessive minimum rate and I contend that rate hasn't retained its purchasing power which peaked in February-1968. The federal minimum wage rate's a victim rather than a cause of the decreasing value of USA's dollars.

Regardless of our opinions, to the extents that rate's enforced, employers are prohibited from paying lesser rates and there by undermining any USA employees, other USA entities, and particularly other labor markets in the USA.
Employees and their dependents within states of governments having lesser consideration for families dependent upon wages are the greater net beneficiaries of the federal minimum wage rate. The extent of their benefits are are inversely proportional to their wage rates. The federal minimum wage rate's a direct or indirect net benefit to all families dependent upon wage incomes.

Illinois's state's government disagrees with you. Their state's minimum is currently $13 per hour. Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back