Felons Voting In Maryland Primary Today. Both Democrats Running Say It's Okay

About 25% of the total US adult black population has a felony, while 6.5% of adult non-blacks have a felony conviction. About 8.6% of the adult population has a felony conviction.
What Percentage of The US Adult Population Has a Felony Conviction?

I heard the eight-point-something overall percent on a podcast yesterday. Seemed high to me and so before posting it here I googled the question which resulted in above. I won't vouch for the source, but the overall number did pretty well match what I heard. It's clear that the Democrats want felonies to vote so that a big hunk of their support isn't disenfranchised.
Can you prove that they will only vote for the democratic party, or that they will vote at all?

Not any more than I can that the sun will come up tomorrow.

Rapists and murderers are voting today in the Maryland Primary.

Yeah, because murderers get released from prison all the time. How about instead of engaging in fantasy you stick to reality? The vast majority of these newly eligible voters became felons for drug convictions.

In any event, you don't actually know what the hell is going on and look like an idiot for opening your pie hole. Convicted felons have already had their voting rights restored. The only change is that previously they had to wait until they completed probation, whereas not they don't.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
If you have paid your debt to society you should have your voting/gun rights restored.

Well, that's the real controversy with this new law. Because we're talking about people who are still on probation some feel that they haven't paid their debt to society yet. The flip side is that most of these people are convicted of mere drug crimes and considering the ballooning prison populations long probation periods are more and more common. IMO, there's too much potential for abuse by government. We're starting to get to the point where we can simply sentence "undesirables" to 50 years of probation and effectively disenfranchise them.

Rapists and murderers are voting today in the Maryland Primary.

Yeah, because murderers get released from prison all the time. How about instead of engaging in fantasy you stick to reality? The vast majority of these newly eligible voters became felons for drug convictions.

In any event, you don't actually know what the hell is going on and look like an idiot for opening your pie hole. Convicted felons have already had their voting rights restored. The only change is that previously they had to wait until they completed probation, whereas not they don't.
A drug offense is little different from violent crime, because drug trafficking often involves violent crimes, often murder.

What Democrats are doing is encouraging criminality while sneering at those who are obeying the law.

If you have paid your debt to society you should have your voting/gun rights restored.
You're fucking nuts.

Obama is busy taking gun rights away from veterans, hundreds of thousands of them . What debt do they have to pay?

And you're an overly-dramatic pussy.

And yes, I am aware of the VA stripping gun rights of veterans and I find it to be bullshit. That is why I support Rand Paul's legislation concerning this issue: https://www.paul.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Protecting Gun Rights and Due Process Act1.pdf

A drug offense is little different from violent crime, because drug trafficking often involves violent crimes, often murder.

And you aren't much different than persistent vegetative state, except that those people have a little more brain activity.

The right to vote is the most important of our rights. When we restrict the right to vote, we restrict the very essence of our nation's liberty.

Well, that's the real controversy with this new law. Because we're talking about people who are still on probation some feel that they haven't paid their debt to society yet. The flip side is that most of these people are convicted of mere drug crimes and considering the ballooning prison populations long probation periods are more and more common. IMO, there's too much potential for abuse by government. We're starting to get to the point where we can simply sentence "undesirables" to 50 years of probation and effectively disenfranchise them.

In my opinion, once you get released from prison you should have your rights fully restored.

I don't think you should lose your right to vote if you're incarcerated, felony or not. You don't lose the fundamental right to marry, why should you lose the fundamental right to vote?

Felons traditionally haven't been able to vote because they demonstrated a severe lack of judgment. This of course, bothers liberals very little. The more uninformed or corrupt the voter is the more power they have.

I don't think you should lose your right to vote if you're incarcerated, felony or not. You don't lose the fundamental right to marry, why should you lose the fundamental right to vote?

Part of the problem is that voting is not actually treated as a fundamental right. It's treated as more akin to a privilege in our system. That history persists to this day. Look at how many idiots around here still talk about basing voting rights on how much you pay in taxes.

Historically, disenfranchisement subsequent to felony convictions was associated with the notion of felony infamy implying a lack of credibility or honesty. A convicted felon was not allowed to vote, they were not considered competent for jury duty, they weren't allowed to testify as witnesses, etc.

Part of the problem is that voting is not actually treated as a fundamental right. It's treated as more akin to a privilege in our system. That history persists to this day. Look at how many idiots around here still talk about basing voting rights on how much you pay in taxes.

Historically, disenfranchisement subsequent to felony convictions was associated with the notion of felony infamy implying a lack of credibility or honesty. A convicted felon was not allowed to vote, they were not considered competent for jury duty, they weren't allowed to testify as witnesses, etc.
Right, so felons should get their gun rights back too then? We would turn this country around in a heartbeat if we limited voting to property owners, with military being an exception. There are too many parasites with no invested interest sucking off of others.

You're fucking nuts.

Obama is busy taking gun rights away from veterans, hundreds of thousands of them . What debt do they have to pay?

And you're an overly-dramatic pussy.

And yes, I am aware of the VA stripping gun rights of veterans and I find it to be bullshit. That is why I support Rand Paul's legislation concerning this issue: https://www.paul.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Protecting Gun Rights and Due Process Act1.pdf
I'm just telling the truth. People who do time in prison usually don't have good sense or good priorities. This is why Democrats want them to be able to vote.....along with people who are uneducated and illiterate. Democrat voters are often barely able to read and write or not interested enough in the process to be informed. That’s why voting for the first black or first woman appeals to them. They don't even understand the issues. A thug's only concern once he gets out of prison is being able to survive....because their options are so few. So the party that promises them welfare, housing, foodstamps, and free prescription drugs gets their vote. My brother is one of them, and he's always been a Democrat.

Felons traditionally haven't been able to vote because they demonstrated a severe lack of judgment. This of course, bothers liberals very little. The more uninformed or corrupt the voter is the more power they have.

actually they bank on it

/

Right, so felons should get their gun rights back too then? We would turn this country around in a heartbeat if we limited voting to property owners, with military being an exception. There are too many parasites with no invested interest sucking off of others.

Yeah well, if buttholes like you would pay our men & women in the military a living wage you wouldn't have to offer up exemptions in your idiotic world.

Forum List

Back