Finally, and enlisted man to become Secretary of Defense

R

rdean

As for claims that he's got a shaky position toward Israel, he said "I've never voted against Israel ever in the 12 years I was in the Senate."
Two former committee chairmen -- Democrat Sam Nunn and Republican John Warner -- introduced and endorsed the nominee at the top of the hearing.
If confirmed, Hagel, a decorated Vietnam combat veteran, would be the first enlisted man and first Vietnam veteran to serve as defense secretary.

Hagel faces barrage of criticism during tense confirmation hearing | Fox News

“I have one fundamental question that I asked myself on every vote I took, every decision made: Was the policy worthy of the men and women that we were sending into battle and surely to their deaths?” Hagel told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“I saw it from the bottom. I saw what happens. I saw the consequences and the suffering and horror of war,” said Hagel, who was wounded twice as an infantryman in Vietnam.

That, he said, is why he opposed President George W. Bush’s 2007 surge of troops into Iraq, opposed Obama’s 2009 surge of troops into Afghanistan, and now opposes U.S. military intervention in Syria.

“I always ask the question: Is this going to be worth the sacrifice? Because there will be sacrifices,” Hagel said.

Chuck Hagel, an enlisted man as Secretary of Defense?

--------------------------------------------------------

Everyone knows it's a lie. No wonder McCain hates Hagel.

We all know Bush Sr. was an officer during WWII, Head of the CIA, Vice President and President. He beat back Saddam. You can bet he put satellites over Iraq and plenty of spies. With his background, he wouldn't do anything else. Anyone have any video of him agreeing with his son over WMDs?

More than half Republicans believe Obama was born in a different country and Iraq had WMD's.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~benv/files/poll responses by party ID.pdf

Hagel never wanted to invade Iraq. And he was right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Democrats don't care about a person's qualifications or what they did in the past... Or even if they would be the right person for the job, as long as they have D next to their name anyone will do

I mean they just put in a traitor to the military and the men and women he served with, as Sec. of State

Indications are that Hagel's performance was one of the worst in any conformation hearing in modern times but chances are he will be confirmed anyway.

As for claims that he's got a shaky position toward Israel, he said "I've never voted against Israel ever in the 12 years I was in the Senate."
Two former committee chairmen -- Democrat Sam Nunn and Republican John Warner -- introduced and endorsed the nominee at the top of the hearing.
If confirmed, Hagel, a decorated Vietnam combat veteran, would be the first enlisted man and first Vietnam veteran to serve as defense secretary.

“I have one fundamental question that I asked myself on every vote I took, every decision made: Was the policy worthy of the men and women that we were sending into battle and surely to their deaths?” Hagel told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“I saw it from the bottom. I saw what happens. I saw the consequences and the suffering and horror of war,” said Hagel, who was wounded twice as an infantryman in Vietnam.

That, he said, is why he opposed President George W. Bush’s 2007 surge of troops into Iraq, opposed Obama’s 2009 surge of troops into Afghanistan, and now opposes U.S. military intervention in Syria.

“I always ask the question: Is this going to be worth the sacrifice? Because there will be sacrifices,” Hagel said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_UlMFU0iHs

We all know Bush Sr. was an officer during WWII, Head of the CIA, Vice President and President. He beat back Saddam. You can bet he put satellites over Iraq and plenty of spies. With his background, he wouldn't do anything else. Anyone have any video of him agreeing with his son over WMDs?

More than half Republicans believe Obama was born in a different country and Iraq had WMD's.

Yep, and I hope he DOES cut the heck out of that WASTEFUL department.

Hopefully, no more Haliburton or Black Water nonsense.

It's been a long time coming.

That's funny, When ever in the past the GOP has nominated a former Service member to the position. Your side argued that we are suppose to have civilian leadership of the military, and nominating a former service member could compromise that idea.

lol

Democrats don't care about a person's qualifications or what they did in the past... Or even if they would be the right person for the job, as long as they have D next to their name anyone will do

I mean they just put in a traitor to the military and the men and women he served with, as Sec. of State
What did Hagel do that disqualifies him from this position, in your estimation...pick up arms in service of his country?

What did Hagel do that disqualifies him from this position, in your estimation...pick up arms in service of his country?

Yeah, God help us if we appoint someone that actually did serve.

This Hagel hearing is a disaster.

— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) January 31, 2013

Hagel has been pretty shaky thus far, right?

— The Fix (@TheFix) January 31, 2013

this hearing is beginning to remind me of the 1st Obama-Romney debate — Peter Beinart (@PeterBeinart) January 31, 2013

If Hagel’s performance over the first couple of hours could have been described as unsteady and unimpressive, it has become disastrous. — Stephen Hayes (@stephenfhayes) January 31, 2013

Seriously, did they not prep him or he wouldn’t be prepped or is he not bright? Never seen a witness do this bad… — Jennifer Rubin (@JRubinBlogger) January 31, 2013

"...they just put in a traitor to the military and the men and women he served with, as Sec. of State."?

Well, then you must be including all those Republicans who voted for Kerry's confirmation. The vote was 94 to 3.

What did he do? He obviously made a bad decision based on politics regarding his vote about the Troop Surge and he could not rationally explain it. His performance was embarrassing and his testimony was incoherent. He is clearly unqualified and just the guy for Hussein's cabinet position..

He'll be confirmed, but its unfortunate. I don't want a Secretary of Defense who believes that the Persian Gulf and the Middle East would be more secure today if SADDAM HUSSIAN was still in power in Iraq.

The United States and its allies went to war with Saddam in 1991 because of his unprovoked invasion of Kuwait. Afterwards, US strategy while leaving Saddam in place put heavy international sanctions on Saddam and required Saddam to disarm of his WMD programs. Saddam cooperated early on, but in the mid to late 90s began to block and harrass inspectors and not cooperate. In addition, by 2000 many countries began to ignore the sanctions and Saddam used his oil wealth to bribe countries, organizations and individuals to start looking the other way. Saddam made Billions of dollars in black market oil in 2000, 2001, and 2002. Containment, the only option other than regime change at that point, had fallen apart.

The invasion in 2003 to remove Saddam was a necessity because containment had collapsed as well as the reports of WMD. But its important to mention that all US activity since the end of the 1991 GULF WAR was about PREVENTING SADDAM from getting WMD. Military force was also an option in accomplishing that task.

Only a fool would believe that the United States should have waited to invade Iraq and remove Saddam until he actually had WMD. WMD that could be used on US forces as they entered the country as well as civilians in Iraq and other countries in the region. Again, the objective is to PREVENT Saddam from getting WMD, not wait until he has it before doing something!

Hopefully are defense and foreign policy establishment will be able to weather the Kerry and Hagels weakness on defense and foreign policy issues over the next four years.

I don't normally support term limits for politicians, but I'm glad their in place to get Obama out in four years!

Yeah, God help us if we appoint someone that actually did serve.

Did you vote for Obama or McCain?

What did he do? He obviously made a bad decision based on politics regarding his vote about the Troop Surge and he could not rationally explain it. His performance was embarrassing and his testimony was incoherent. He is clearly unqualified and just the guy for Hussein's cabinet position..

My understanding as to why the so-called "troop surge" was "supposedly" successful was because the Iraqi tribal factions were BOUGHT OFF with big bucks. Now, unlike when Saddam was in power, Iraq and Iran are good buddies. Iraq was a major Bush clusterfuck.

Finally, a Secretary of Defense that accuses Troops of atrocities and terrorism.

Forum List

Back