Five myths about Libertarianism

No, quoting the Libertarian party platform then implying that it represents the gospel of libertarian philosophy is constructing a straw man.

this is funny..

because then you read this later:
But not leftists - because Pete is right, you all march in lockstep, more automatons than people. The party dictates what you think and feel. You will do whatever the party prefers, in every case. Hillary, Obama, Edwards, Biden - it's all the same, different clown masks on mindless drones who execute party orders to the letter.

And this is why you people arguing about how the libertarian are all individuals, is a joke. The idea anyone takes you seriously is just fucking sad.

Last edited:
I always love when a liberal or conservative who is NOT a libertarian tries to tell al libertarian what one is. This is particularly funny when they are clueless and basing their ‘definition’ on utter falsehoods. Tell us more about things that you do not understand, please….

It is also of note that you used a no true Scotsman fallacy here. IOW, you are full of bullshit.

I keep citing items right out of the Libertarian Party Platform, which I assume is where the Libertarians are trying to tell ME what a libertarian is.

And yet the libertarians here, so-called, don't want to defend their own party's positions.
And yet I did not mention any of your assumptions (even though they are wrong) as many of the other posters seem to have that covered. I will say that you seem to not understand that party platforms are not universal and just because you are a libertarian does not mean that you agree 100 percent with their platform. The concept might be foreign to you because you are what is known as a partisan hack. Just because YOU can’t find something you disagree with in the democrat party platform does not mean that all democrats/republicans/libertarians unthinkingly accept party platforms. Most of us bother to think about the issues themselves and form our own opinions.
I always love when a liberal or conservative who is NOT a libertarian tries to tell al libertarian what one is. This is particularly funny when they are clueless and basing their ‘definition’ on utter falsehoods. Tell us more about things that you do not understand, please….

It is also of note that you used a no true Scotsman fallacy here. IOW, you are full of bullshit.
Wow totally refuted my post....totally.
Speaking of hacks…

I didn’t need to refute anything because there was nothing to refute. You put an outright falsehood in your post supported without a single fact or statement other than a logical fallacy. WTF was I supposed to ‘refute.’

Ah exactly, you have nothing. Libertarians don't want government weighing in on these type of "social issues". You should be able to do what you want with your body. That is pure libertarian right there. No government regulation or laws. At best, and i mean this is at best, you keep any laws local to maybe state issues. Maybe....

The idea you disagree shows you are not a libertarian, because no libertarian would disagree with this.

Last edited:
Non-aggression?

Libertarians advocate a dog-eat-dog society and survival of the fittest

Can't have no gubmint standing up for you

Wrong.
What is it about folks that can not fully define themselves so they go and tell others what they believe they believe?
Tell us what you believe, we can define ourselves without any help.

Libertarians advocate unrestrained competition which by its very nature is aggressive. Can't have no government stepping in when one competitor engages in unfair business practices. If you can't survive in a dog-eat-dog business environment, that is your problem

No, we believe in UNCONSTRAINED, not unrestrained competition.
There is a large difference.
Government CONSTRAINTS are what we have now and they are increasing.
However government restraints also prevent many businesses from doing things that harm no one. In fact we OPPOSE most all corporate support for regulating themselves as in almost every instance all those regulations are passed for is to prevent competition from start up businesses and the little guy.
Again, tell us what YOU believe in and not what you believe others believe in.

Can anyone show an example where government was doing anything other than fucking everything up restraining any business over the last 50 years?

What is 'subtle' about it? Government 'out of abortion altogether' leaves no wiggle room. That is highly refined, narrow, and unequivocal expression of a principle.

You say libertarians are more principled than D's or R's. Really? If the core libertarian principle on abortion is pro-choice, with no government involved AT ALL,

and if in fact most libertarians don't hold that principle, which I suspect is the case,

how can you call libertarians more principled? Wouldn't that mean that Libertarians are less principled?

Huh... you cherry pick ONE issue and hold it up as an example of the entirety of the ideology???

Yes, I do say that libertarians are (far, far) more principled that Democrats and Republicans.

When it comes to liberals, there is no disent allowed. You can not call yourself a liberal in the eyes of these bed wetters if you don't toe the line on every issue.

Are there any significant democrooks that easily hold office in moonbat districts that are pro-life? How about pro-2A? There may be a few blue dog democrooks that aren't dedicated to disarming the people and purging blacks from society through abortion, but they have tenuous grip on their offices. The small handful that voted against the last gun control scheme received death threats from their "tolerant" constituents.

Bed wetters like NYCarboner cannot comprehend that other people may not march in lock step with everyone else. Their desire to fit in overrides any instinct to think independently, and they're incapable of considering the possibility that someone can call themselves a libertarian, conservative, republican or anything they're programmed to hate and deviate from certain beliefs.

I'm a republican, (basically) though abortion IMO is a state issue. I don't like it, I think is the most heinous form of murder, but I wouldn't promote the feds getting involved. I think pot should be legal, not because I want society dumbed down and lethargic like elite moonbats do, but because it's worse to lock people up for it because not everyone who uses it is a lethargic oxygen thief.

Too a bed wetter I am still the enemy. Regardless of what I just said they'll insist I want gov't regulation of vaginas. I want the prisons full of black people. I hate (insert victim group here).

That's why I don't bother engaging these sniveling mindless drones. They're too stupid to waste the time on.

I applaud those of you who though.

:clap2:

The liberal is a strong advocate against diversity except for how folks look and act.
They openly oppose any and all diversity of thought, ideas and beliefs.

The topic isn't about the libertarian parties platform. it's about libertarioanism. i realize this must come as a shock, but not all libertarians are in the party.

And you went right ahead and used more flawed reasoning to support your flawed reasoning. Does this circle ever end? :lmao:

That's just a dodge so you people don't have to address the gaping flaws of logic, reason, and common sense that libertarianism represents.

You people are trying to tell us that libertarianism represents both pro-abortion and anti-abortion.

What the fuck is that? That's like saying in my religion, it's both a sin and not a sin to steal.

lol. Are you trying to convince us that to be a Libertarian is to stand for nothing?

Politic is is becoming a religion to many citizens these days be they Democrat or Republican.
That is why we have a Libertarian Party.

No, quoting the Libertarian party platform then implying that it represents the gospel of libertarian philosophy is constructing a straw man.

this is funny..

But not leftists - because Pete is right, you all march in lockstep, more automatons than people. The party dictates what you think and feel. You will do whatever the party prefers, in every case. Hillary, Obama, Edwards, Biden - it's all the same, different clown masks on mindless drones who execute party orders to the letter.

And this is why you people arguing about how the libertarian are all individuals, is a joke.
You quote two different posters (with no attribution on either of them I might add) in an effort to demonstrate the difference in opinion between them and then scoff at the idea of libertarian individualism, the defense rests your honor, the prosecution has made our case for us. Or were you perhaps attempting to practice some deception in your omission of attribution there and hoping nobody would notice those quotes came from two different people?

The idea anyone takes you seriously is just fucking sad.

You are of course entitled to your opinions, hopefully such notions have the intended of effect of making you feel better about yourself.

Have a wonderful day.

this is funny..

And this is why you people arguing about how the libertarian are all individuals, is a joke.
You quote two different posters (with no attribution on either of them I might add) in an effort to demonstrate the difference in opinion between them and then scoff at the idea of libertarian individualism, the defense rests your honor, the prosecution has made our case for us. Or were you perhaps attempting to practice some deception in your omission of attribution there and hoping nobody would notice those quotes came from two different people?

You are of course entitled to your opinions, hopefully such notions have the intended of effect of making you feel better about yourself.

Have a wonderful day.

i know i did, That was the point. It shows not even people arguing on your side of things can agree. See you can't claim something like all libertarians are different, and then have someone claim Liberals follow a gospel.

It doesn't work like that and just shows partisan hackery.

I dont need to show the difference in posters because you yourself just made the same argument that uncensored made. Its too easy with you people. Everyone wants to think they are an individual, Liberal, Con, and liberts.
There is no hive mind, there is just set ideal policies people agree on.

Of course we havent even touched upon the idea that it is almost impossible these days to pin someone to a party, because issues are now on a case by case basis. This happened because of the internet and other medias.

The lines have been blurred quite a bit.

this is funny..

Have a wonderful day.

i know i did, That was the point. It shows not even people arguing on your side of things can agree.
I don't have a side, I'm a student of philosophy not a player in "politics as a team sport", you can agree with my conclusions regarding philosophy or not, we can discuss them on condition that you are a thoughtful, rational individual (something which is still in doubt).

It doesn't work like that and just shows partisan hackery.
I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion given that I don't belong to or believe in political parties, I'm sure the details of your reasoning will be fascinating though.

I dont need to show the difference in posters because you yourself just made the same argument that uncensored made.
Really? maybe you should go back and review what was said, who said it and the chronological order in which it was said.

Its too easy with you people. Everyone wants to think they are an individual, Liberal, Con, and liberts.
There is no hive mind, there is just set ideal policies people agree on.
I did not assert libertarian individualism ( I assumed that the individuality of individuals was self evident, apparently I was mistaken) nor do I have a "set of ideal policies", you're either engaged in projection or you're reading things that aren't there.

It's interesting that the article itself supports the 'myth' that most Libertarians are pro-abortion:

About 30 percent of libertarians — including many libertarian-minded politicians such as Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) — are staunchly pro-life. But most believe that the best way to change behavior is through moral suasion, not versions of prohibition that don’t work.

So a few Libertarians are pro-life, but most of them are pro-choice as far as the law goes (against 'prohibition').

Pro-choice is pro-abortion, so I've heard.

lol

I like watching liberals and libertarians fight. They never realize how close ideological they are to each other.

You think? What similarities do you see? I'm afraid I don't see ANY similitaries other than maybe their choice in music or movies or such as that.

The topic isn't about the libertarian parties platform. it's about libertarioanism. i realize this must come as a shock, but not all libertarians are in the party.

And you went right ahead and used more flawed reasoning to support your flawed reasoning. Does this circle ever end? :lmao:

That's just a dodge so you people don't have to address the gaping flaws of logic, reason, and common sense that libertarianism represents.

You people are trying to tell us that libertarianism represents both pro-abortion and anti-abortion.

What the fuck is that? That's like saying in my religion, it's both a sin and not a sin to steal.

lol. Are you trying to convince us that to be a Libertarian is to stand for nothing?

Politic is is becoming a religion to many citizens these days be they Democrat or Republican.
That is why we have a Libertarian Party.

There is no more faith based political movement than the Libertarians.

lol, it takes more faith to believe that the Libertarian Party can ever be anything more than a fringe group than it does to believe the Earth is 6000 years old.

No one said libertarianism respresents both of those. it's a personal issue best left to the individual involved. The doctor and patient. Libertarianism as one of it's main philosophical points, is that people are INDIVIDUALS.

I realize you come from the hive, where everyone buzzes on and on sasying the same shit and no dissent to any issue is allowed. We dont have that problem. We embrace individuals right to take responsibility for themselves and their decisions. Whether I like it or not or advocate it is entirely beside the point. it's not my decision to make, nor is it anyone elses, what some woman decides about abortion, or whether a doctor chooses to, or chooses not to perform it for their own INDIVIDUAL beliefs.

The fact you can not grasp this is of course, to no one's surprise here.

So if I support the fundamental principles of Roe v. Wade, which I do,

am I a libertarian or not?

Forum List

Back