Florida Sheriff Declines Invitation to Attend NAACP Banquet

This is the full text of a remarkable letter from Sheriff Mike Scott of Lee County, in which he blasts the NAACP for ignoring black violence but making a national commotion over the Zimmerman trial. It is unusually frank and to the point.

Lee County Branch NAACP
3903 Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard
Fort Myers, FL 33916
Attn: President James Muwakkil

Dear President Muwakkil:

I have been invited to the NAACP Freedom Fund Awards Banquet and have been asked to sponsor the event financially. I will not be doing either but wanted to explain my concerns and the reasons for my decision. Frankly, I believe the NAACP locally and nationally loses credibility when it picks and chooses which issues it rallies around and embraces what often appears to be a double standard relative to race and ethnicity. I am citing two (2) local and recent examples of my concern.

Tragically, record numbers of young, black males have been gunned down in the streets of Fort Myers in an epidemic of alarming proportions over the last few years. In virtually every instance the killer was also black and the majority of those cases remain open. Many more black citizens have been injured and were lucky to survive similar circumstances. To date, I am unaware of any appreciable attention or public outcry the NAACP locally or nationally have afforded these issues in our own, proverbial backyard.

Full copy of the letter here in PDF.

One thing never taken into consideration when talking about the right wing's new attack on black culture is the fact that blacks are more liable to be arrested and convicted for crimes which frat boys often get away with.

In the white frats there is a bong in every dorm and they have a propensity to use alcohol in excess, but they are allowed to get away with it because the law is more focused on cacthing niggas.

This is the full text of a remarkable letter from Sheriff Mike Scott of Lee County, in which he blasts the NAACP for ignoring black violence but making a national commotion over the Zimmerman trial. It is unusually frank and to the point.

Lee County Branch NAACP
Fort Myers, FL 33916

Dear President Muwakkil:

I have been invited to the NAACP Freedom Fund Awards Banquet and have been asked to sponsor the event financially. I will not be doing either but wanted to explain my concerns and the reasons for my decision. Frankly, I believe the NAACP locally and nationally loses credibility when it picks and chooses which issues it rallies around and embraces what often appears to be a double standard relative to race and ethnicity. I am citing two (2) local and recent examples of my concern.

Tragically, record numbers of young, black males have been gunned down in the streets of Fort Myers in an epidemic of alarming proportions over the last few years. In virtually every instance the killer was also black and the majority of those cases remain open. Many more black citizens have been injured and were lucky to survive similar circumstances. To date, I am unaware of any appreciable attention or public outcry the NAACP locally or nationally have afforded these issues in our own, proverbial backyard.

One thing never taken into consideration when talking about the right wing's new attack on black culture is the fact that blacks are more liable to be arrested and convicted for crimes which frat boys often get away with.

In the white frats there is a bong in every dorm and they have a propensity to use alcohol in excess, but they are allowed to get away with it because the law is more focused on cacthing niggas.

No they cant talk about that. Whenever they want to "talk" about race it's only about blacks and what whites think blacks should do i.e. "get over it", "shut your mouth" or "leave"

No they cant talk about that. Whenever they want to "talk" about race it's only about blacks and what whites think blacks should do i.e. "get over it", "shut your mouth" or "leave"

when have you ever stopped running your big mouth?

You just described perfectly how the so-called "Reverend" (who has not performed a religious service in decades) responded to Bill O'Reilley.

You just described perfectly how the so-called "Reverend" (who has not performed a religious service in decades) responded to Bill O'Reilley.

Who was that?

Oh poor picked on, abused Bill O'Reilley, the most nefarious race baiter in the media.

Oh poor picked on, abused Bill O'Reilley, the most nefarious race baiter in the media.

so much for that honest conversation

I read the letter. I think the dude is out of line and I think the letter was unprofessional.

Exactly how is he out of line...specifically please. Why was the letter unprofessional...again, please be specific.

Will answer later.....no time now.

That's fine.

But...it is pretty obvious.

Then your specificity will not only be welcome, but should be no problem for you.

I look forward to it.

Lee County Branch NAACP
Fort Myers, FL 33916

Dear President Muwakkil:

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I think that has more to do with police officers needing a warrant to enter a private property, which you allege these bongs of theirs are kept, as opposed to encountering young black men consuming narcotics on the street, where they don't need a warrant to search suspects.

Furthermore, I detect a certain element of racially-based prejudice in the post I've quoted you on. Must all these frat boys you speak of own or use a bong on account of their race?

This Sheriff is right and cares more about blacks then Al Sharpton ever did. If our legal system survive the next 5-10 years with such bs as a effective means of enforcing the peace we will be very lucky.

If the Sheriff wants to cut down black on black violence he needs to go to his legislators and do something about our "War on Drugs" laws

No, the neighborhoods thugs prey on should start their own neighborhood watch programs closely cooperating with the local police.

While I consider the "War on Drugs" to be folly, ending it will not stop black on black violence, or any violence, for all that matter.

so much for that honest conversation

Honest conversation is an oxymoron when you are talking about Bill Blabbermouth.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't help but feel that:

1. You never watched a single episode of "The O'Reilley Factor".
2. You never read any of O'Reilley's books.
3. You never read any articles written by Bill O'Reilley.
4. You don't know that he donates ALL proceeds from his web site to charity.
5. You don't know that he raised millions of dollars to support disabled war veterans.
6. You feel superior to him and all Republicans because you are an Obama acolyte.
7. You would vote for Obama even if there was a video of Obama raping a boy.
8. You have no valid argument, so you call Bill O'Reilley a "Blabbermouth".
9. You would kiss Al Sharpton's behind with astonishing enthusiasm.
10. You would need a dictionary to find out what the word "HONEST" means.

Forum List

Back