🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Florida voters will be able to restore voting rights to over a million former felons in November

Florida voters will be able to restore voting rights to over a million former felons in November'

More desperate attempts to steal elections....

Look for Liberals to demand a law stating votes cast by Felons will count as 2 Votes to make up for the years they were denied their vote in the past....

:rolleyes:

As if Republicans are somehow locked out of garnering their vote.

It would be easy enough to restrict Federal inmates with no other residential address to Federal Elections. Many states do it for overseas voters. Others, like California also allow overseas voters to vote in local elections.

Voting is one of our most basic civil rights, just like marriage. I simply feel that prison should not be a barrier to the exercise of such a basic fundamental right.

You commit a crime bad enough to be incarcerated, you should not be entrusted with voting. If we can restrict your freedom of movement, which to me is a far greater right then voting, then removing the franchise from prisoners, paroles, and probationers isn't that much of a stretch.

And I disagree. Too many low level drug crimes are considered Felonies. Our justice system is too far tilted against minorities and the poor and we are disenfranchising thousands upon thousands of people.

I'd be willing to compromise on a no violent crimes provision.

Sorry, but you do the crime you pay the time. A person who can't be trusted to follow the law cannot be trusted to vote.

Sorry, but you do the crime you pay the time. A person who can't be trusted to follow the law cannot be trusted to vote.

I'm not understanding your thinking. What trust is required to vote?

The right to vote is the right to have your say on how society is governed. If you have commited a crime against society and been convicted under due process, losing your right to vote, and thus have your say on the society you have harmed should be a no-brainer while you are under punishment.

Restoring the franchise after the sentence is complete is another question, and to me best left to the States.

I personally would want people who have completed incarceration/parole/probation to be able to vote again.

I personally would want people who have completed incarceration/parole/probation to be able to vote again.

I agree but still don't understand what you meant by trusted to vote. How could they abuse your trust by voting? They wouldn't simply vote their interest like anyone else?

Florida voters will be able to restore voting rights to over a million former felons in November'

Look for Liberals to demand a law stating votes cast by Felons will count as 2 Votes to make up for the years they were denied their vote in the past....

Republicans would rather the law and punishment for breaking the law be upheld - no vote for Felons.

(I suspect Terry McAuliffe got Felons the right to vote in Va just in case Hillary did get punished fro her crimes. She could always then go to Va and be allowed to vote. :p )

You commit a crime bad enough to be incarcerated, you should not be entrusted with voting. If we can restrict your freedom of movement, which to me is a far greater right then voting, then removing the franchise from prisoners, paroles, and probationers isn't that much of a stretch.

And I disagree. Too many low level drug crimes are considered Felonies. Our justice system is too far tilted against minorities and the poor and we are disenfranchising thousands upon thousands of people.

The right to vote is the right to have your say on how society is governed. If you have commited a crime against society and been convicted under due process, losing your right to vote, and thus have your say on the society you have harmed should be a no-brainer while you are under punishment.

Restoring the franchise after the sentence is complete is another question, and to me best left to the States.

I agree but still don't understand what you meant by trusted to vote. How could they abuse your trust by voting? They wouldn't simply vote their interest like anyone else?

They abused societies trust by being a criminal. It's not my trust, it's society as a whole.

Republicans would rather the law and punishment for breaking the law be upheld - no vote for Felons.

(I suspect Terry McAuliffe got Felons the right to vote in Va just in case Hillary did get punished fro her crimes. She could always then go to Va and be allowed to vote. :p )

Gee...I wonder why they don't want to vote republican.

They abused societies trust by being a criminal. It's not my trust, it's society as a whole.

Ok, so why aren't they trusted to vote? What public trust could or would be violated if they voted?

Ok, so why aren't they trusted to vote? What public trust could or would be violated if they voted?

I think we are in a semantics fight. To me, they lost OUR trust when they committed their crime, and while being punished cannot be rewarded for their bad behavior with continuation of their franchise.

After they pay their debt, welcome back.

I think we are in a semantics fight. To me, they lost OUR trust when they committed their crime, and while being punished cannot be rewarded for their bad behavior with continuation of their franchise.

I think you chose your words poorly.
They lost our trust to live freely in society. No trust is required to vote.
Voting isn't a reward. It's a right. Even prisoners have a stake in who is making law and policy.

Voting isn't a reward. It's a right. Even prisoners have a stake in who is making law and policy.

I would think both require trust, as the misuse of either can have consequences.

Freedom of movement is a right as well, but like all rights can be taken away via due process.

And no, convicted criminals serving their sentence should NOT have a stake in making laws and policy, just like they should not be roaming the streets,

I do not know how anyone that values freedom or personal rights can disagree with this...

The Voting Restoration Amendment, which the state is expected to certify soon, would automatically restore rights to citizens convicted of felonies who have completed their prison sentence, parole, and probation. Only those convicted of murder or felony sexual offenses would be excluded.

People that have served their time should be given all their rights back.
No, They have no credibility

In who's opinion?

If I think you have no credibility because you went bankrupt should you be allowed vote?

These people pay there debt to society and are deemed rehabilitated and allowed to join society? The ability to vote should be a minimum right given to them.

So you are saying and 18 year in Florida caught with an once of marijuana should not be allowed vote ever... By the way he could have 2 pounds of the stuff in Alabama and your OK (on 1st offence, 2nd offence is zero)...
Felons should never be able to vote... ever

Damn communist!

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
It really doesn’t matter, most of them don’t want to vote anyways and even if they wanted to do, most of them just would not.
No big deal
Then what’s your objection?

I would think both require trust, as the misuse of either can have consequences.

Freedom of movement is a right as well, but like all rights can be taken away via due process.

And no, convicted criminals serving their sentence should NOT have a stake in making laws and policy, just like they should not be roaming the streets,

How can one 'misuse' their vote in your estimation?

By voting for things a criminal would want, just like they misuse their freedom by committing crimes.

By voting for things a criminal would want, just like they misuse their freedom by committing crimes.

LOL.
You mean vote Democrat?
What 'things a criminal would want' are on any given ballot?

You employ some strange logic.

LOL.
You mean vote Democrat?

How about an example where they would be allowed to vote in county elections in prison, and the prisoners outnumber the residents of the county?

If we don't trust them with freedom of movement, why should we trust them with the freedom to vote?

The Voting Restoration Amendment, which the state is expected to certify soon, would automatically restore rights to citizens convicted of felonies who have completed their prison sentence, parole, and probation. Only those convicted of murder or felony sexual offenses would be excluded.

People that have served their time should be given all their rights back.

Simple. You hold two different ideas in your head at once..the very definition of "double think".

(1)You present a proposed law that doesn't restore rights to murders and rapists after they serve their time
(2) then you say "people that have served their time should be given their rights back"

So which is it?

LOL.
You mean vote Democrat?

Oh, and another thing, so you admit the Democrat Party is the party of choice for criminals?

LOL.
You mean vote Democrat?

How about an example where they would be allowed to vote in county elections in prison, and the prisoners outnumber the residents of the county?

If we don't trust them with freedom of movement, why should we trust them with the freedom to vote?

They would be absentee voters in their own home districts.

LOL.
You mean vote Democrat?

They would be absentee voters in their own home districts.

So that eliminates the local problem, but doesn't eliminate the fact that if you fucked up enough to end up in prison you shouldn't get to vote.

LOL.
You mean vote Democrat?

Oh, and another thing, so you admit the Democrat Party is the party of choice for criminals?

Not at all. I am trying to understand your point. There's generally only two choices on a ballot. Obviously you don't feel you vote for 'things a criminal would want' and it's also fairly obvious that you don't vote with democrats. It's the only conclusion that can be drawn.

Why not just simply say you don't want them to vote because you believe they'll vote democrat?

Forum List

Back