Forget Happy Meals - Now They're After Your Irish Coffee

Over my dead body. Seriously.

you're right.. we should ignore the fact that kids are getting hold of Four-Loko and are dying.

it's their right and all...

perhaps Irish coffee, is better left at really *being* Irish coffee instead of drinks with caffein equal to about five cups?

It's already against the law to sell alcohol to kids.

The FDA doesn't regulate what you do at home, it regulates products that can be sold in stores. The difference between "mixing" and "adding" is that one is done at home, whereas the other is done before its sold.

They make it right here in San Antonio. How many were the kids drinking? I haven't kept abreast of this story since I don't drink this crap.

Think about it this way. 2 cans of Four Loko (48 ounces of liquid) contains the alcohol of 9-10 cans of beer, and the caffeine of 10-12 cups of coffee.

It wouldn't take much to cause a heart attack...

These drinks are 22 Proof and you think the problem is the caffeine? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a DUI in a can.

Except that no one has "banned adding caffeine to alcoholic drinks". One specific drink has been banned, nothing more.

And when the Federal Income Tax was introduced in 1913, the top rate of 7% began at $11,000,000 in constant 2010 dollars.

First it was the after dinner cigar, then salt, then sugar, then egg yolks, then toys in Happy Meals, and now Irish Coffee.

Do you really want the Federal government to dictate what you should and should not be able to buy of legal substances and have authority to require private businesses to adhere to its dictates?

. . . .Executive summary: the FDA has informed four companies that caffeine is an “unsafe food additive” when mixed with alcohol. In this particular case, the drinks being affected are cans of carbonated, caffeinated, and alcoholic drinks… but if you’re wondering what’s the scientific difference between that and a hand-made mixture of coffee, whiskey and whipped cream, the answer’s simple: there isn’t one. This is strictly ‘political’… or more accurately, ‘pandering.’ And if you’re wondering what’s stopping the government from deciding that bars shouldn’t serve Irish or Jamaican coffee - or, God help us, Red Bull and vodka, which is apparently the big club drink now - the answer’s even simpler: nothing. Nothing at all. If young drinkers start consum[ing] hand-mixed caffeine/alcohol concoctions, the FDA will start going after the organizations that serve them. . . .

Next step: the War on Irish Coffee. | RedState

FUCK THOSE COCK SUCKERS. I'll give up my Irish cream when I give up my fucking guns.

Seriously people....Sit down with your kids when they are of an age to fully understand. Explain to them what modern day liberalism is all about. Explain to them the scourge that is modern day liberalism. Explain to them the Constitution and Bill Of Rights. Explain to them the Revolutionary War, and what it was really all about......And last, but certainly not least, teach them what PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS ALL ABOUT!

Teach your children well......It's one of the best things you can do for your child. And one of the best things you can do for the future of this great country.

Liberty is safeguarded with Responsibility...the two are inseparable.

I don't think you understood what I was saying..

No one "enjoys" it. They buy it because it's 2.50 and has as much alcohol as 5 cans of Budwiser.

It tastes worse than you can possibly imagine.

If it tastes that bad, then nobody will drink it, and the brewery will stop production. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that everyone doesn't.

I don't like scotch. I think it tastes like spar varnish mixed with paint thinner. But others like it, so it's still being made.

Them's fightin word's. Leave my Scotch alone too!!! :eek::evil::lol:

And that's my point. Just because I think Scotch tastes horrid doesn't mean the government should step in and keep you from enjoying it.

Likewise, leave my Bushmill's alone. I like it, even though my wife and friends don't.

And if Billy Barrou is of legal drinking age, and enjoys Four Lokos, then the government should stay the hell out of his life too.

If it tastes that bad, then nobody will drink it, and the brewery will stop production. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that everyone doesn't.

I don't like scotch. I think it tastes like spar varnish mixed with paint thinner. But others like it, so it's still being made.

Them's fightin word's. Leave my Scotch alone too!!! :eek::evil::lol:

And that's my point. Just because I think Scotch tastes horrid doesn't mean the government should step in and keep you from enjoying it.

Likewise, leave my Bushmill's alone. I like it, even though my wife and friends don't.

And if Billy Barrou is of legal drinking age, and enjoys Four Lokos, then the government should stay the hell out of his life too.

Thats a fail on the blood alcohol. ;)

Seriously people....Sit down with your kids when they are of an age to fully understand. Explain to them what modern day liberalism is all about. Explain to them the scourge that is modern day liberalism. Explain to them the Constitution and Bill Of Rights. Explain to them the Revolutionary War, and what it was really all about......And last, but certainly not least, teach them what PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS ALL ABOUT!

Teach your children well......It's one of the best things you can do for your child. And one of the best things you can do for the future of this great country.

Liberty is safeguarded with Responsibility...the two are inseparable.

liberals will fail to make the connection.

Ah, then the brewery will stop making it, and this "issue" will just go quietly into the night.

No one "enjoys" it. They buy it because it's 2.50 and has as much alcohol as 5 cans of Budwiser.

It's fine if you don't like scotch.

More for me. I've got a bottle of 25 year old Talisker waiting for me when I get home...

They make it right here in San Antonio. How many were the kids drinking? I haven't kept abreast of this story since I don't drink this crap.

Think about it this way. 2 cans of Four Loko (48 ounces of liquid) contains the alcohol of 9-10 cans of beer, and the caffeine of 10-12 cups of coffee.

These drinks are 22 Proof and you think the problem is the caffeine? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a DUI in a can.

Actually, I think the problem is the taste. It tastes like Jolly Ranchers dissolved in gasoline.

It's 24 proof, actually.

More for me. I've got a bottle of 25 year old Talisker waiting for me when I get home...

Tell me about scotch. I've never had it. Im a wine drinker, french bordeaux, napas, cabarnets, merlots, pinot noirs.

The FDA doesn't regulate what you do at home, it regulates products that can be sold in stores. The difference between "mixing" and "adding" is that one is done at home, whereas the other is done before its sold.

If it is clearly a dangerous substance, then ban it for human consumption as the fed properly bans all poisonous substances for human consumption. So long as it remains a legal product, then the feds should require full disclosure of contents and otherwise stay out of it.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't smoke pot. I need all of my brain cells. But what's funny though is that marijuana, a plant, is illegal but I'm free to go out in my front yard, chew on an oleander leaf and die in a few hours and everything's cool.

Tell me about scotch. I've never had it. Im a wine drinker, french bordeaux, napas, cabarnets, merlots, pinot noirs.

It's a type of whiskey. To be called "Scotch", it must be distilled in Scotland, and made from water, barley and yeast. It gets it's flavor from the water source (most distilleries have their own private springs) and the casks it's aged in - for a minimum of 7 years. This is why different scotches taste different.

The scotches that I'm most fond of are from the islands off the coast - they have a strong peat (from the water) and smoke flavor (from the casks). If you want to try a scotch, I'd recommend starting with a blended scotch, like Johnny Walker Red Label or Black Label, before experimenting with single malts.

Rocks glass, 1 large ice cube.

It's a type of whiskey. To be called "Scotch", it must be distilled in Scotland, and made from water, barley and yeast. It gets it's flavor from the water source (most distilleries have their own private springs) and the casks it's aged in - for a minimum of 7 years. This is why different scotches taste different.

The scotches that I'm most fond of are from the islands off the coast - they have a strong peat (from the water) and smoke flavor (from the casks). If you want to try a scotch, I'd recommend starting with a blended scotch, like Johnny Walker Red Label or Black Label, before experimenting with single malts.

Rocks glass, 1 large ice cube.

I'm gonna try one this weekend for the first time. Thanks a lot.

Except that no one has "banned adding caffeine to alcoholic drinks". One specific drink has been banned, nothing more.

Not true. It took action against four companies this time based on the premise that caffeine is not a safe additive.

“FDA does not find support for the claim that the addition of caffeine to these alcoholic beverages is ‘generally recognized as safe,’ which is the legal standard,” said Dr. Joshua M. Sharfstein, Principal Deputy Commissioner. “To the contrary, there is evidence that the combinations of caffeine and alcohol in these products pose a public health concern.”

FDA Warning Letters issued to four makers of caffeinated alcoholic beverages

This is a government body that regulates what we can put in our bodies. Show me where it's now not legal to make a Jack & Coke.

No, this is the government body that regulates what can be sold.

Go to your neighborhood bar, and order a Jack and Coke. You'll get one.

There is no law against mixing alcohol and caffeine. Therefore, it has not been banned.

Ah. It's not illegal, yet. Of course that's what I was told by liberals when the FDA first looked into Four Loko. I was told that the FDA only wanted to properly regulate the drinks and put warning labels on them (in addition to the ones already on them).

Look how that worked out.

And how does that stop them when they decide to do more? What stops or controls them? Who are they accountable to?

Ah, the famous "slippery slope" argument.

Hate to break it to you, but alcohol has been heavily regulated already for the last hundred years or so. Any "slippery slope" we're on, we've already been sliding down for a long time.

"Four Loko" and similar beverages have been banned in a number of places already because KIDS drink it. KIDS don't have any political power, aside from as pawns.

Ban a drink that's already illegal for kids to buy and consume just because they are stupid kids? I think we need to look into banning Aspirin.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't smoke pot. I need all of my brain cells. But what's funny though is that marijuana, a plant, is illegal but I'm free to go out in my front yard, chew on an oleander leaf and die in a few hours and everything's cool.

Time to ban toilet cleaner - after all, kids die when they drink it.

Not true. It took action against four companies this time based on the premise that caffeine is not a safe additive.

FDA Warning Letters issued to four makers of caffeinated alcoholic beverages

This is a government body that regulates what we can put in our bodies. Show me where it's now not legal to make a Jack & Coke.

No, this is the government body that regulates what can be sold.

Go to your neighborhood bar, and order a Jack and Coke. You'll get one.

There is no law against mixing alcohol and caffeine. Therefore, it has not been banned.

Ah. It's not illegal, yet. Of course that's what I was told by liberals when the FDA first looked into Four Loko. I was told that the FDA only wanted to properly regulate the drinks and put warning labels on them (in addition to the ones already on them).

Look how that worked out.

"Four Loko" isn't illegal yet, except in certain states.

Forum List

Back