Forgive Student Loan Debt

We shouldn't forgive student debt. The more educated people are - in general - the more money they make. The educated are the biggest benefactors of student loans, because without the loans, their pay would be much less. For individual situations where this isn't true, people should declare bankruptcy. There should also be tough penalties against institutions who knowingly mislead job prospects for those who enroll in their colleges.

Student loans can't be included on bankruptcies.

I know. They should be.

The reason they aren't is because they are guaranteed by taxpayers. If they were not, my guess is a lot fewer people would be able to get loans for ridiculous amounts of money to go to school forever.

No. But I also don't think that the collectors tacking on another $30k "just because" and that being legal per an attorney, is okay either.

I think that all the late fees, finance charges, and all manner of crap that gets tacked on 'just because' is doing a literal shit-ton of damage to the students, and the economy by extension.

Interest does not compound on federally guaranteed student loans.

The Crimson is not the school.

It's their school paper.

I get it. I'll drop it. You've gone to a hill you have to defend, and knowing you can't hear me is sign enough that you won't back down.

Actually, it is the student paper. There may, or may not, be faculty advisers, but all the boards are staffed by any student that wants to join them. The masthead doesn't mention a single faculty member.

Masthead | The Harvard Crimson

Really. And you don't think a retraction would be printed if he HADN'T graduated with honors.

It's amazing how far y'all are willing to go in your effort to not concede a point.

A couple of answers from kids (adults now) on the "How could you be so stupid" question.

Answer: I love that question: why didn't you read the contract. Well, I was 17 on my first loan and about 19 on my second one. Didn't even have a checking account and never had a credit card at that time. Read the contract? yeah, I read it and "Trusted" that the government wouldn't give me the shaft. I mean how could they do that to me, I was just a kid and had big dreams. How did I know they would retroactively change the law after I took out my loan and that this loan would follow me to my grave. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that no where in my contract does it say if I default that my interest would be capitalized. They sort of left that out for future use.

Answer: Nobody can follow when the government changes the rules in the middle of the game. They do it all the time. This is why we need reform, and we need to pass H.R. 4170, to restore some sanity and responsibility to the system. Consumer advocates back in the 80s reformed insurance company policies and forced them to write insurance coverage in understandable language. This is what we need now with student loans. Obviously this is proving to be true, as Consumer Finance Protection Bureau is beginning to listen to the people, and proposing these types of changes. And, as far as these perfect people, who read everything, I don't believe 99% of them. They would have to prove it to me first. If they are that perfect, good for them. But it's surely nobody I have ever met. How about you??

Interest was capitalized? You mean just like it is on commercial loan notes that small business people take out and dutifully pay off all the time? If the interest was capitalized, then the loan amount grew by the interest on the capitalized debt, and she ignored it for a very long time. I have no pity for dead-beats, especially educated dead-beats.

Last edited:
No. But I also don't think that the collectors tacking on another $30k "just because" and that being legal per an attorney, is okay either.

I think that all the late fees, finance charges, and all manner of crap that gets tacked on 'just because' is doing a literal shit-ton of damage to the students, and the economy by extension.

I think it would if you failed to make any payments.

It's their school paper.

I get it. I'll drop it. You've gone to a hill you have to defend, and knowing you can't hear me is sign enough that you won't back down.

Actually, it is the student paper. There may, or may not, be faculty advisers, but all the boards are staffed by any student that wants to join them. The masthead doesn't mention a single faculty member.

Really. And you don't think a retraction would be printed if he HADN'T graduated with honors.

It's amazing how far y'all are willing to go in your effort to not concede a point.

How can they print a retraction?
They don't have any actual information (because Obama won't release it).

Read the image and tell me why you think things are just fine as they are.

Who's gonna pay for it?

Let's make a list of all of the free shit Obama says you need:

free-stuff-300x238.jpg

Free Stuff
Drugs
Rubbers
Birth Control Pills
Home Mortgages
Student Loans
Abortions
Cell Phones for the unemployed
PCs in the projects
Health Care
Food Stamps
New Cars
Weatherproofing their homes

Heck....why steal when you can get it from Obama.

041112-MLB-Guillen-PI-AM_20120411191317872_196_1001-300x300.jpg

links

Everyone Wants Free Stuff | The Buffington Post
Tea Party at Perrysburg: Obama reelection plan: free stuff for everyone!!!

It's their school paper.

Can you prove they didn't print a retraction?

Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, the worst that happens is it gets sent to a debt collection agency.

Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, the worst that happens is it gets sent to a debt collection agency.

It would because it is not a loan that can be written off.
Regardless how long a person ignores their loan principle and negelcts payment, the interest must be added to that principle.

Otherwise it would be just a loan in default and those types loans can't because they can only go away if forgiven by the government or on the death of the borrower. That's what accounts for the interest due and being capitalized onto the loan principle.

Should a loan that is not being paid simply become dormant for who knows how many years or decades with not interest being due and collectible?

That's what you get with an unforgivable education loan, and it's exactly as it should be.

Y'know. I think I'm just going to consider the source and drop this for good.

And birtherism is only one of a number of racially charged conspiracy theories that have bubbled out of the right-wing swamp and have been allowed to fester by conservative elites. Those who have spent the last two years clinging to the notion that the president wasn’t born in the United States, who have alleged that the president wasn’t intelligent enough to write his own autobiography or somehow coasted to magna cum laude at Harvard law, are carrying on new varieties of an old, dying tradition of American racism. Similar accusations dogged early black writers like Frederick Douglass and Phyllis Wheatley, whose brilliance provoked an existential crisis among people incapable of abandoning myths of black intellectual inferiority.

An embarrassment to the country - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

It would because it is not a loan that can be written off.
Regardless how long a person ignores their loan principle and negelcts payment, the interest must be added to that principle.

Otherwise it would be just a loan in default and those types loans can't because they can only go away if forgiven by the government or on the death of the borrower. That's what accounts for the interest due and being capitalized onto the loan principle.

Should a loan that is not being paid simply become dormant for who knows how many years or decades with not interest being due and collectible?

That's what you get with an unforgivable education loan, and it's exactly as it should be.

I am specifically talking about compound interest, not accrued simple interest. The first is where the unpaid interest is added to the debt and interest is charged on the total. That does not happen with federally guaranteed student loans. It would take around 50 years someone to accumulate an additional $70,000 in debt on a $25,000 loan at 6% interest rate, which is about average for a student loan over the last 20 years, which is far back as I found data with my cursory search when I first responded to this thread.

It would be impossible for it to happen if the person with the loan was making regular payments over the life of the loan, which is why I think the girl is lying. Either that, or she is paying off her grandmother's loan.

Y'know. I think I'm just going to consider the source and drop this for good.

And birtherism is only one of a number of racially charged conspiracy theories that have bubbled out of the right-wing swamp and have been allowed to fester by conservative elites. Those who have spent the last two years clinging to the notion that the president wasn’t born in the United States, who have alleged that the president wasn’t intelligent enough to write his own autobiography or somehow coasted to magna cum laude at Harvard law, are carrying on new varieties of an old, dying tradition of American racism. Similar accusations dogged early black writers like Frederick Douglass and Phyllis Wheatley, whose brilliance provoked an existential crisis among people incapable of abandoning myths of black intellectual inferiority.
An embarrassment to the country - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

I bet you could look all day and not find a single birther or racist post from me.

I was just pointing out that your comment that, if it wasn't true they would have printed a retraction doesn't prove anything because it would mean you are saying they did not print one. Pointing out the obvious only makes me a nut if you don't like the obvious.

I've known people that used student loan money to buy a car. No reason to have one, on a walking campus. Sure a car is great, if bought and paid for before, but using student loan money?

I know people that have graduated with loans, that have said they couldn't 'afford' to pay them back, while partying, dating, getting engaged, and then married. They started paying it back when they went for mortgage and the government responded by garnishing their checks. Then they made arrangements. Once that was done, they did get the mortgage, kept paying the student loans, had kids, etc.

I forgive them for ASKING, but I would emphatically deny their request to cancel the debts.

We shouldn't forgive student debt. The more educated people are - in general - the more money they make. The educated are the biggest benefactors of student loans, because without the loans, their pay would be much less. For individual situations where this isn't true, people should declare bankruptcy. There should also be tough penalties against institutions who knowingly mislead job prospects for those who enroll in their colleges.

You mean to say they grow up and become part of those "evil" corporations?

Read the image and tell me why you think things are just fine as they are.

Did all of these people with student loans understand the terms of the loans they were given?

If they understood the loan conditions, then they have a contract obligation to pay off those loans.

If they did not understand the loan conditions, then shame on them, and they have a contract obligation to pay off those loans.

If you don't want to be in debt for the rest of your natural life, DON'T GO TO COLLEGE!!!!!! I live in South Dakota, and our governor is going to graduate this week. I guess she wants a college education so that she can make something out of her life. OH, WAIT, SHE'S THE GOVERNOR!

Forum List

Back