Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Keep in mind, that slavery and segregation ALSO used to be "religious opinions".

Y'all are on the wrong side of history.

No they weren't, you're just making up crap.

No, actually he isn't "making up crap".

The Southern Argument for Slavery

00034637.jpg

When ‘Religious Liberty’ Was Used To Justify Racism Instead Of Homophobia

The Bible Tells Me So

Hey, it's your lie, so you can tell it any way you wish. But, when GLAAD announced they were "researching" Phil to contact sponsors, it obviously was their desire to silence him. That's why I can't take you are Gadawg seriously.

Contacting sponsors is not infringing on his right to free speech or religious freedom. Contacting sponsors is the free market at work.

is threatening sponsors also free speech? Is threatening to post lies about them a form of free speech?

Again, as correctly noted, contacting sponsors is not infringing on one’s right to free speech or religious freedom, the concepts of free speech and religious freedom pertain only to government, lawmaking entities, not the private sector, not to private persons, and not to private companies.

Contacting sponsors is not infringing on his right to free speech or religious freedom. Contacting sponsors is the free market at work.

is threatening sponsors also free speech? Is threatening to post lies about them a form of free speech?

Again, as correctly noted, contacting sponsors is not infringing on one’s right to free speech or religious freedom, the concepts of free speech and religious freedom pertain only to government, lawmaking entities, not the private sector, not to private persons, and not to private companies.

They know that but many Christians believe they are God's chosen folks and how dare anyone ever question their "religious beliefs".
To hell with the Constitution, "real" Christians answer to God only.
While the Founders are rolling in their graves. They warned us about folks like this.

Keep in mind, that slavery and segregation ALSO used to be "religious opinions".

00034637.jpg

The Bible Tells Me So

I grew up in the South in the 1950's, and churches usually accepted the principle taught in sermons that segregation was god's plan.

Nope. You can try to put whatever lipstick on that pig you like, but it's a concerted effort to silence him.

Whatever. But Phil has no "right" to say what he likes without non-govt actors engaging in free speech or econ boycotts. In fact, that's pretty much how free speech is supposed to work.

What strikes me as ironic here is that Paula Deen really did get railroaded, and she is probably no more a bigot that Phil "beastiality" Robertson. I can only assume that the difference was the socioecon makeup of those watching the food channel was somewhat different than those watching the DD reality show. I gotta say, I miss Paula Dean because, bad person or not, she can cook.

"Railroaded"? Not getting a contract renewal when the previous one expires is "railroaded"?

Is the Food Network under some obligation to draw up new contracts they don't want?

00034637.jpg

The Bible Tells Me So

That anyone claimed religious justification doesn't' support the point that was made. The best lies have a small element of truth, like this one. But that makes them bigger lies and not truths.

This is way weaker than the argument that Muslims are terrorists, not just Muslim extremists. I know you won't grasp this point, but that's what hate does to you.

I grew up in the South in the 1950's, and churches usually accepted the principle taught in sermons that segregation was god's plan.

Which is my point. There is some portion of truth in the statement, which is what the lie is built on. The statement I refuted was far beyond that.

They know that but many Christians believe they are God's chosen folks and how dare anyone ever question their "religious beliefs".
To hell with the Constitution, "real" Christians answer to God only.
While the Founders are rolling in their graves. They warned us about folks like this.

But you don't have a deep seated bigotry against Christians...

No siree bob.... :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

People come up with all kinds of shit to justify their behavior.

Hell, I've even heard some scumbags claim that Obama's fascist care was going to LOWER costs.....

People will say ANYTHING to promote their agenda.

Nope. You can try to put whatever lipstick on that pig you like, but it's a concerted effort to silence him.

Whatever. But Phil has no "right" to say what he likes without non-govt actors engaging in free speech or econ boycotts. In fact, that's pretty much how free speech is supposed to work.

What strikes me as ironic here is that Paula Deen really did get railroaded, and she is probably no more a bigot that Phil "beastiality" Robertson. I can only assume that the difference was the socioecon makeup of those watching the food channel was somewhat different than those watching the DD reality show. I gotta say, I miss Paula Dean because, bad person or not, she can cook.

"Railroaded"? Not getting a contract renewal when the previous one expires is "railroaded"?

Is the Food Network under some obligation to draw up new contracts they don't want?

I know you're being childish Pogo..

But just want to point out that Paula Deen is back on TV... She was on the recent Celebrity Chef show.

Paula Deen Coming Back to Television But Not The Food Network | TIME.com

I know you're being childish Pogo..

But just want to point out that Paula Deen is back on TV... She was on the recent Celebrity Chef show.

Paula Deen Coming Back to Television But Not The Food Network | TIME.com

And you just supported my point, moron.

That anyone claimed religious justification doesn't' support the point that was made. The best lies have a small element of truth, like this one. But that makes them bigger lies and not truths.

This is way weaker than the argument that Muslims are terrorists, not just Muslim extremists. I know you won't grasp this point, but that's what hate does to you.

Wow. With the quote sitting right there too... :lame2:

images

"Muslims are terrorists" would be a blanket generalization. That's not what the original point was.

Last edited:

images

You have to read the whole sentences to grasp what they mean. What liberals like to do is use the most provocative words you can in your statements, then when challenged defend it as if you'd made the most mild of comment.

images

You have to read the whole sentences to grasp what they mean. What liberals like to do is use the most provocative words you can in your statements, then when challenged defend it as if you'd made the most mild of comment.

You're babbling. The fact remains it's not a blanket statement. You're comparing logical apples and oranges and coming up with nothing. Simple reading comprehension.

The POINT is that the claim was made that "To date no one has stopped Robertson from expressing his religious opinions any way he wants to." which was a true, but not for lack of trying. That's what I'm rebutting. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited:

Religion was used to justify slavery, segregation, anti miscegenation and now homophobia. Same bible, different bigots.

The POINT is that the claim was made that "To date no one has stopped Robertson from expressing his religious opinions any way he wants to." which was a true, but not for lack of trying. That's what I'm rebutting. Thanks for understanding.

The point is hunarcy, no one tried to stop Robertson from tying homosexuality to beastiality. I mean why get in the way of a kook when he's being a kook, but then again you know sodomizing a cow may be as big a problem as tow gay rednecks down there in the lousiana swamp.

People did try to get Robertson to pay an econ price for his views that in their, and my, views are views of a bigot. Apparently people who buy DD "gear" and watch the show have no problem with it. In retrospect, I am not surprised. But, I am amused.

Religion was used to justify slavery, segregation, anti miscegenation and now homophobia. Same bible, different bigots.

Christianity was a far bigger player in opposing slavery and racism.

And the south used primarily economics, not religion to justify it.

And equating slavery with that the poor gays can't get government validated marriage is just pathetic.

Christianity was a far bigger player in opposing slavery and racism.

And the south used primarily economics, not religion to justify it.

And equating slavery with that the poor gays can't get government validated marriage is just pathetic.

Very true as my Quaker ancestors were anti slavery.
And take a wild guess which religion persecuted them for that.

I was born and raised in the deep south.
Religion was ALWAYS used to validate segregation.

Forum List

Back