Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Let's hear from the Phil defenders on this whose-rights-are-whose episode:

Christian Pastor Defrocked After Officiating Gay Son’s Wedding

"NORRISTOWN, Pa. (TheBlaze/AP) — A pastor from central Pennsylvania was defrocked by United Methodist church officials on Thursday after officiating his son’s gay wedding — an action that ran counter to the denomination’s central beliefs..."

I was especially struck by this line in the article:

"Jurors who convicted Schaefer in a church trial last month..."

Did what? In a what? lol, if I might paraphrase the classic Monty Python line...

"Nobody expects the Methodist Inquisition!"

Christian Pastor Defrocked After Officiating Gay Son?s Wedding | TheBlaze.com

So, let's hear it...

It would be hard for any of us to comment on the inner workings of the Methodist Church, now wouldn't it? It goes against the basic premise of the Church. What was the poor pastor to do? His love for his son was paramount.

Perhaps he should have done a civil ceremony without a Bible. His whole being and calling was tested at that point. The question now is, how does he and his son feel and if given the chance, would they do it again? Does that make his entire career a lie?

So the Methodist Church had the right to terminate his employment because not every single one of his beliefs coincided with the beliefs the Church dictates?

The premise of this thread is that an employer has no right to do that.

That's what I'm questioning.

Straight up question, TK: do you agree with what Phil said about blacks and gays.

Yeah, if you read what he said, he isn't one to judge, whatever failing a person has, it is between them and god. His job is to spread the gospel. Second, he tilled the fields with blacks, he never once slandered them.

So yes, I agree, simply because unlike the lot of you, I did read the GQ interview.

Okay, well ... Color me nauseated.

And seriously disappointed in you.

Good night.

They were fired for making personal attacks on individuals so it's not synonomous. Paraphrasing the Bible isn't hate speech unless you consider the Bible a hate book.

This case illustrates how a small voal and militant minority has power over the majority. While I am a free market capitalist, I support the right of a company to hire/fire whoever they want, I do see a blatant free speech supression by the political left by intimidation, over and over again.

I don't watch the show but it looks like it's popular enough that some other network will pick them up and A&E will pay a price to molify a minority that probably didn't even watch the show.

Where did he paraphrase the bible?

It is the parts where he broke out from the bible and started attacking gays that he got into trouble

Are you a Christian? If you are, you are deeply backslidden. If you aren't, what right do you have in saying he "broke out from the Bible"?

Where in the bible does homosexuality lead to bestiality?

Are things better today? With all the affirmative action, all the quotas, all the welfare, all the free obamaphones, has any of that made them happier? Phil was speaking from his personal observations. He was speaking of the men he worked with in the fields. The lot of black people has gotten exponentially worse. Not better. Much worse. Today he would have no black men working along side of him in the fields, he'd have mexicans who couldn't speak English the black men are having drive by shootings, robbing stores and playing the knockout game.

I can assure you...

Things are better today

That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. You're willing to dispense with reality and take on a utopian state of mind in a dystopian world. What things are better? Racism? Not really. Tolerance and diversity? You wish. Healthcare? Heaven help us.

Things are better? You really are oblivious, aren't you?

Do I really need to explain to you what pre-Civil Rights America was like for blacks? We are talking open terrorist attacks that were protected by the Government

And you bitch about Obamaphones?

How DARE he accuse black people of being happy, ever. Those working black men should have been out in the streets killing one another's children. Like they do today.

Yes, blacks in Louisiana were as happy as can be. Singing and dancing and happy with the way white folk treated them

On August 8, 1946 — barely a year before Robertson was born — 28-year-old Army veteran named John C. Jones was arrested and charged with "loitering" in a white woman's yard. That night, while waiting in jail, he was beaten, kidnapped by a mob, and tortured to death. As historian Philip Dray writes in At the Hands of Persons Unknown: The Lynching of Black America, "Both of [Jones'] hands were chopped off with a meat cleaver; then, as the mob held him down, his face and body were seared with the flame of a blowtorch."

In 1959, just a few days after Robertson's 12th birthday, a mob kidnapped and killed Mack Parker, a 23-year-old man who was accused of raping a pregnant white woman near the Louisiana-Mississippi border. As with Jones, the mob broke into his jail, but instead of torture, he was shot twice and tossed into the river. His body was found several weeks later.

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson insulted African Americans, too - The Week

Who here is putting Robertson on a pedestal? He is not an educated man by any stretch of the imagination. .

Not educated? He has his Masters in Education from Louisiana Tech and was a former teacher.

Straight up question, TK: do you agree with what Phil said about blacks and gays.

Yeah, if you read what he said, he isn't one to judge, whatever failing a person has, it is between them and god. His job is to spread the gospel. Second, he tilled the fields with blacks, he never once slandered them.

So yes, I agree, simply because unlike the lot of you, I did read the GQ interview.

Okay, well ... Color me nauseated.

And seriously disappointed in you.

Good night.

Gee, you asked me a straight question and I gave you a straight answer. If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question. And do I look like I care if you're disappointed in me? Since when did I have to live up to YOUR expectations? Frankly, I'm disappointed in you and in everyone here. You people want Christians to tolerate homosexuals, but ask nothing of homosexuals to tolerate Christians. That is un.fair. bigoted and hypocritical.

You have a good morning BD.

Last edited:

He said blacks were happier in the pre-civil rights era.

"NORRISTOWN, Pa. (TheBlaze/AP) — A pastor from central Pennsylvania was defrocked by United Methodist church officials on Thursday after officiating his son’s gay wedding — an action that ran counter to the denomination’s central beliefs..."

Did what? In a what? lol, if I might paraphrase the classic Monty Python line...

So, let's hear it...

It would be hard for any of us to comment on the inner workings of the Methodist Church, now wouldn't it? It goes against the basic premise of the Church. What was the poor pastor to do? His love for his son was paramount.

Perhaps he should have done a civil ceremony without a Bible. His whole being and calling was tested at that point. The question now is, how does he and his son feel and if given the chance, would they do it again? Does that make his entire career a lie?

So the Methodist Church had the right to terminate his employment because not every single one of his beliefs coincided with the beliefs the Church dictates?

As a PASTOR of the church the man is held to a very high standard in his actions. If Church doctrine does not support same sex marriage and he does, how can he pastor the congregation? If he were a Church secretary or janitor, it wouldn't make any difference. He lost his position as Pastor because he either doesn't believe Church doctrine or must lie to the people and say he does.

So, let's hear it...

We're talking about the Church and it's basic beliefs. I think that is in the basic principles in becoming a priest. He must follow the doctrine of the church.

I can assure you...

Things are better today

That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. You're willing to dispense with reality and take on a utopian state of mind in a dystopian world. What things are better? Racism? Not really. Tolerance and diversity? You wish. Healthcare? Heaven help us.

Do I really need to explain to you what pre-Civil Rights America was like for blacks? We are talking open terrorist attacks that were protected by the Government

I didn't say anything about Obamaphones...

And how would you know what it was like for pre Civil Rights era African Americans? My great grandfather took in blacks to work on his field for room and board, and a good home cooked meal from my great grandmother. My grandmother has told me numerous stories from her days on the farm about how she and her parents bucked the trend in rural Georgia and treated black people with dignity, a good 25 years before the Civil Rights movement began.

You can't assume to know the first thing about that era. Frankly I have you trumped. I've got people in my family who lived it.

Last edited:

Yeah, when he tilled the fields with them, side by side, picked cotton with them, he has a unique perspective that you don't. He never once heard a black man or woman badmouth whites.

Yes, blacks in Louisiana were as happy as can be. Singing and dancing and happy with the way white folk treated them

On August 8, 1946 — barely a year before Robertson was born — 28-year-old Army veteran named John C. Jones was arrested and charged with "loitering" in a white woman's yard. That night, while waiting in jail, he was beaten, kidnapped by a mob, and tortured to death. As historian Philip Dray writes in At the Hands of Persons Unknown: The Lynching of Black America, "Both of [Jones'] hands were chopped off with a meat cleaver; then, as the mob held him down, his face and body were seared with the flame of a blowtorch."

In 1959, just a few days after Robertson's 12th birthday, a mob kidnapped and killed Mack Parker, a 23-year-old man who was accused of raping a pregnant white woman near the Louisiana-Mississippi border. As with Jones, the mob broke into his jail, but instead of torture, he was shot twice and tossed into the river. His body was found several weeks later.

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson insulted African Americans, too - The Week

Who here is putting Robertson on a pedestal? He is not an educated man by any stretch of the imagination. .

Not educated? He has his Masters in Education from Louisiana Tech and was a former teacher.

I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for correcting me.

From my personal observation, and I lived in Harlem pre civil rights, they WERE! In the face of serious discrimination (although they really didn't have a lot of discrimination in New York City) they had a joy in life, an integrity and yes, I would say even a nobility that they lost. Pre civil rights black families were strong, dad raised his children and they were happier with the support of mom, dad and grandparents. They went to church, they helped one another through the hard times and shared in the good. Crime was very low in black neighborhoods. Lower than in white neighborhoods and way lower than in Irish neighborhoods.

What do they have today, an unbelievable abortion rate, crime off the charts, black babies shot in their cribs by black men driving by? Black cities are failures. Years of entitlements have resulted in a towering resentment that there isn't more.

I can assure you...

Things are better today

Those were just a few isolated cases. Negroes indeed had it better pre -Civil Rights America. They believed in family and had dignity instead of now not believing in family values leaving fatherless children everywhere. Most had work ethics and were proud to earn a living doing what ever job they had instead of today doing drugs and fleecing the working taxpayers wallets. They dressed proper back then instead of wearing saggy pants down below their ass like they do today. Negroes have let responsibility go in today's times. They feel entitled to free handouts without responsibility to themselves. How many drive by shootings do you recall negroes doing in cities back pre-civil rights days? How many negroes performed random 'knock out games' back in pre-civil rights America like they do today? Negroes will never get better until they are completely cut off from free entitlements where they will be forced to accept responsibility for themselves and climb out of this bottomless pit they have been in for the past 40 years. The Civil Rights bill and Immigration Act of 1965 was the worst legislation that was enacted. Those bills have resulted in the erosion of American family values and traditions as well as the public education system.

Last edited:
You know what, you guys preach tolerance, hell you liberals want diversity, but God help the next person who dares speak against what you believe. Who cares about what A&E can do? This is a matter of principle.

Does tolerance involve calling everyone you disagree with a "bigoted racist"? Does that mean firing a man for expressing his religious beliefs? What if a Muslim did something similar? Hey, they're even more intolerant to other races and sexual orientations than we are!

Young children have a better grasp of tolerance and understanding than liberals do. I hear liberals all around wanting to be tolerated but wont tolerate other beliefs. What is happening to this world?

Why should we tolerate it? Why should I tolerate that man putting down my friends?

It doesn't make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not putting down your friends. Read the above post. Hey, you don't mind calling him a bigot, or me a bigot, or anyone else who believes in God a bigot, so where's your tolerance? Why do you insist on asking for it when you are unwilling to give it?

I don't call anyone who believes in God a bigot. My own parents and family are Christians. Many Christians don't say such words about homosexuals.
And his words put down every gay person.
I also have a very good Christian friend who thinks homosexuality is a sin but he would never make such disrespectful comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say anything about Obamaphones...

And how would you know what it was like for pre Civil Rights era African Americans? My great grandfather took in blacks to work on his field for room and board, and a good home cooked meal from my great grandmother. My grandmother has told me numerous stories from her days on the farm about how she and her parents bucked the trend in rural Georgia and treated black people with dignity, a good 25 years before the Civil Rights movement began.

You can't assume to know the first thing about that era. Frankly I have you trumped. I've got people in my family who lived it.

Your quote
Are things better today? With all the affirmative action, all the quotas, all the welfare, all the free obamaphones

You should be very proud of your family. But never forget, blacks were required to know their place. Yes, they could work for a white family and be treated fairly. But if they ever tried to act equal or superior to whites they were quickly and severly dealt with. Those blacks who worked for your family could not eat at local restaurants, could not use public restrooms, dared not be seen in white neighborhoods after dark

Those were the good ole days that Robertson remembers

Negroes indeed had it better pre -Civil Rights America.
I don't think many blacks would agree with that. Or whites. Yes, they had better family values than today but were treated as second class citizens at best. I lived in segregated Mississippi. I don't think you'd like it if you could eat, drink or watch movies with the rest of the population.

That's no excuse for today's situation though, the black "leaders" should be addressing it instead of creating more friction. But that's how they butter their bread.

Forum List

Back